Manson

Looking back on SNL....

What do you guys think now, that so many years have passed since her infamous SNL performance? You still think it was bad? Did you actually like it?

Looking back I definitely can hear how much she improved because I remember thinking for a long time that she wasn't really a good live singer. I think the maybe nerves got the best of her but didn't she actually performed the songs that way for basically the whole BTD era before Paradise? So it can't really be considered a bad performance rather than her early style of singing.

But am I the only one that thinks that the mic filters used for TV shows are really unflattering for any voice (unless you're Whitney Houston maybe)?

OFF TOPIC: If someone could maybe share some DL links to HD files of the SNL performances would be amazing  :hooker: 

Looking back it was the first now of many cases of abuse that came from the stable of the Misogynist NBC

​and was totally bullying.

Like Lyin' Brian Williams who gave that simply horrendous abusive tweet (and to think he has his own daughter, did he ever once think what if someone had done that to Allison, how would he have felt.

​and what really tied it all together in regards to Misogynist is how a few weeks later Sam Smith (equally as unknown) went on the show

​and did 100% of the exact same thing Lana did (was Sam parodying Lana?) yet he got 100% adoration and love from SNL and

​the show's low-level 15 year old boys that watch it.

​SNL as a whole has a history of abusing women, perhaps the only two who made it were Tina and Amy, and both have their

​horror stories from the show and how they were not wanted nor welcome by the other writers much of the time.

​That said, without SNL, I don't believe Lana would have been  the trendsetter, iconic future Rock and Songwriters Hall of Famer

that she became and one thing is for sure, she was live.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

it was shit, but she was nervous so i'll give her that. nothing is like that million dollar man performance on that french tv show that was basically scrubbed from youtube tho lmao

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)

Looking back it was the first now of many cases of abuse that came from the stable of the Misogynist NBC

​and was totally bullying.

Like Lyin' Brian Williams who gave that simply horrendous abusive tweet (and to think he has his own daughter, did he ever once think what if someone had done that to Allison, how would he have felt.

​and what really tied it all together in regards to Misogynist is how a few weeks later Sam Smith (equally as unknown) went on the show

​and did 100% of the exact same thing Lana did (was Sam parodying Lana?) yet he got 100% adoration and love from SNL and

​the show's low-level 15 year old boys that watch it.

​SNL as a whole has a history of abusing women, perhaps the only two who made it were Tina and Amy, and both have their

​horror stories from the show and how they were not wanted nor welcome by the other writers much of the time.

​That said, without SNL, I don't believe Lana would have been  the trendsetter, iconic future Rock and Songwriters Hall of Famer

that she became and one thing is for sure, she was live.

Completely agree. The media behaviour towards her after was utter disrespect. No one deserves that. But I guess, as you said, it worked out amazingly for her because I'm sure it carved her career in a good way.

It was bad but I also low-key stan it

Same  :defeated:

She had this weird singing style. I don't know how to describe it. Nowadays she sings way more 'softer' like an Angel. But with no doubts it was bad performance. And it's kinda sad that people judge her by this one and they don't even know how she actually sings.\

edit: i'm sad that she doesn't do any tv performances anymore. she would have been amazing.

giphy.gif

I see a weird kind of beauty in that performance. I know she was nervous and her throat probably clamped up, like when you're about to do an oral speech in front of the class and just cant act normal. I tend to kind of be fascinated by lanas live mess-ups, because compared to other artists they are NOT BAD. you can still tell she has talent, but is just human and not 100% all the time.

Good points guys!  :flutter:

Do we have the performances in HD somewhere? I feel like people found it so horrible that no one even ever shared them in whatever torrent site etc  :toofunny:

It was awful lol, but it gave her notoriety. Yeah it was negative but people knew her name and were watching for her, and she definitely redeemed herself.

I think it’d be cool if she went back on there now and performed.

her performance of video games wasn't bad, but blue jeans was a mess

She still has a lump in her throat tbh

The second verse is a huge mess

Concert Privé Million Dollar Man is iconic in its badness and SNL is... SNL honestly

Don't get me wrong I stood with her and was telling everybody she actually CAN sing and shit but I must admit these 2 were just plain bad

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

It was awful lol, but it gave her notoriety. Yeah it was negative but people knew her name and were watching for her, and she definitely redeemed herself.

I think it’d be cool if she went back on there now and performed.

Yes, truly something I've been thinking about. I hate SNL because they are absolutely NOT funny but it's a nice exposure.

I think her SNL performance 'validated' the belief that Lana was some sexed-up brainless beauty queen barbie. So many people in the US especially believed that. The concept was pushed by so many music publications and bloggers at the time. So many people thought the Video Games music video was something that was manufactured by her label to make her seem authentic. I remeber that all really vividly because I was looking for other people who liked Lana, and almost everything was about how fake she was. 

I think her SNL performance 'validated' the belief that Lana was some sexed-up brainless beauty queen barbie. So many people in the US especially believed that. The concept was pushed by so many music publications and bloggers at the time. So many people thought the Video Games music video was something that was manufactured by her label to make her seem authentic. I remeber that all really vividly because I was looking for other people who liked Lana, and almost everything was about how fake she was. 

The most interesting part about her career was honestly that time. Because, even though the label did have influence on her at the time, it was really herself who chose her way how to deal with her career. And I guess this Americana vintage image with presenting herself a shy sex kitten (kinda?) is fresh meat for every cash hungry label. So people never realized that it was actually her doing all this stuff that people called out as fake and not something she put on just to sell or be the mannequin of a label.

Rachmaninoff had his First Symphony (the conductor was drunk), Stravinsky had his Rite of Spring (the critics were not ready), and Lana Del Rey will most likely have Blue Jeans SNL (for the same reason as Igor). The BJ performance is very dynamic and I have watched it many times with enjoyment. She has said in one interview (my memory is the only receipt) that it was "true to form", so I'm inclined to agree with suggestions above that its form, at that moment in time, was intentional (maybe Lizzie's last stand?). It was also her second performance of the night, and she would have been (and seemed to me) more relaxed.