freshlinen2

What if Lana was real?

I am of the mind that Lana Del Rey is a character created by Lizzy Grant. Old news, I know. Now I don't mean to offend anyone by saying she's not real. I'm not implying she's "fake". She's allowed to create. But something crossed my mind the other day. 

I don't doubt that Lana sometimes sings about situations relevant to her real life. But I would say that's probably 15% of her catalogue. Most of the time I think she has an internal world filled with the books, movies, and music she loves and takes from when it's time to write.

So, my question. If you knew Lana Del Rey was purely an autobiographical singer, how would your opinion of her change? Would you be more interested in her as a person? Less? Would her music carry greater meaning for you? What would be your opinion of her?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

her daddy bouGHT HA CAREER !

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm or your honest thoughts, but I can say that I don’t think he bought her career. I don’t even think it’s possible to do that, even for someone richer than him. Anyway, none of that old gossip is really relevant to my question.

#graham4anythingJr.

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

So, my question. If you knew Lana Del Rey was purely an autobiographical singer, how would your opinion of her change? Would you be more interested in her as a person? Less? Would her music carry greater meaning for you? What would be your opinion of her?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Um...but she is an autobiographical singer, she said it herself multiple times.

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

It's all real. What we are really speaking  of are issues of persona. Identity. It's like Bob Dylan in 1964, the famous concert, where he said to the audience, "Happy Halloween and I've got my Bob Dylan mask on, haha."

I don't have any doubt that everything Lana has written or sung about, has had its germination in some "real" event. Now, what's a "real event"? Could be something she has personally experienced, or it could be something she read about or overheard or dreamed. They are all real events, whether she experienced them or not. If you imagine doing something, the same parts of the brain are activated that would be activated if you were actually doing it. There's no difference. So, in a sense, all events are real. I think it was Picasso who said, "If it can be imagined, it's real."

It's all real. What we are really speaking of are issues of persona. Identity. It's like Bob Dylan in 1964, the famous concert, where he said to the audience, "Happy Halloween and I've got my Bob Dylan mask on, haha."

I don't have any doubt that everything Lana has written or sung about, has had its germination in some "real" event. Now, what's a "real event"? Could be something she has personally experienced, or it could be something she read about or overheard or dreamed. They are all real events, whether she experienced them or not. If you imagine doing something, the same parts of the brain are activated that would be activated if you were actually doing it. There's no difference. So, in a sense, all events are real. I think it was Picasso who said, "If it can be imagined, it's real."

@Burnt Norton interlude

@@HONEYMOON being alternate stories of lanas life

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Everything Lana says is real to Lana therefore it makes us interested.

Whether it’s fact or fiction doesn’t really matter because it’s presented in such a way that makes you feel like it’s real :)

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm or your honest thoughts, but I can say that I don’t think he bought her career. I don’t even think it’s possible to do that, even for someone richer than him. Anyway, none of that old gossip is really relevant to my question.

It is possible to use your money & connections to launch a person's music carreer. Look at the cyrus sisters, or Ariana Grande. Beyonce also comes to mind, her manager dad did a lot for her.

OT: You all are mean, the OP asked a great question. I think Lana is a very fascinating and mysterious person, and she would be even more fascinating and great if these things turned out to be true about her. Like a cool queen

if everything she sang about was real i'd probably look up to her a lot more and be a lot more fascinated in her. a big part of my (and others') fascination with her during the BTD era was that we believed everything she sang about was true bc we knew nothing else about her at this point. then she kind of let go of this persona, which was disappointing.

i do find it incredible though how she literally just plucks these random stories out of thin air and pretends they're about her, you need to have a pretty wild imagination to do that and pull it off in a somewhat believable way

RVhKIwP.gif

I mean...do you just believe things?

Well, Lana's life is so damn mysterious and especially her early twenties seem so tumultuous in general that it makes me believe anything tbh. Of course she may be exagerating a little when it comes to some things she sings about, but overall, I really do think that she's done a lot of stuff in real life too. I mean, after you read all the possible stuff that she supposedly did in her past, going with a gang of strangers on their motorcycles for a ride doesn't seem that wild or far off to me. 

So yes, if all of that is real, my opinions on her wouldn't change in a bad way. I would be even more intrigued by her.

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Interesting question. I get what you're asking. Well, if we're literally taking every single line she's ever written and every music video as pure autobiography (including things like Rikers Island, biker gangs, having a "Las Vegas past" and living in a trailer park in NJ and living in motels and living in the south, being a teen alcoholic, escaping a cult, etc.), there's a good chance she would have either been dead at this point or so incredibly burnt out that she would not be writing and singing songs to a worldwide audience, she would probably just be trying to survive. 

I think I might actually be less interested. I mean, I would be impressed she has survived everything (again, reading every single lyric as verbatim and not allowing any metaphorical readings), but I think a big part of her appeal is the mystery and trying to unravel what is actually the truth and what is more metaphor/imagination. Also, I think knowing that it's not all autobiographical adds extra layers to her songs. I really like being able to get different readings out of a song depending on how you interpret it.

But I don't think I'm alone in thinking this. She said herself in an older interview something like "everything great is real and not real, including myself" and I think that's true and part of why there is so much fascination with her and her life (besides good music, obviously) and why there's been a million think pieces written about her. I get why she's been frustrated when interviewers have called her a character, because it's not. That doesn't mean everything she's written is factual, but that's not the point. Not factual doesn't mean not authentic. I think she's always written from an authentic emotional space, and used references/history/scattered life experiences to paint a picture of what she's been through in her life. To me, there's no real difference between that and a songwriter who has a lyric like "you broke my heart in two." Was that person's actual heart actually broken into two pieces? No, of course not, and almost no one would label that song as phony or fake because talking about whether the person's heart was physically damaged is not the point, it's just a way of describing an experience/emotion they've been through. Lana does essentially the same thing, but just takes it a step further (or maybe multiple steps further). 

Sorry for the novel.