34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jameshenry21

jameshenry21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Time Online: 22h 12m

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:53 PM

I am of the mind that Lana Del Rey is a character created by Lizzy Grant. Old news, I know. Now I don't mean to offend anyone by saying she's not real. I'm not implying she's "fake". She's allowed to create. But something crossed my mind the other day. What if (in some alternate universe), all the things/people/places Lana sings about were relevant to her real life?

For example, take the song "Florida Kilos". What if we knew Lana had a drug dealing boyfriend at some point, and that they lived in Miami making drugs? Or "Ride" (the video and the song), what if we knew she was a prostitute who ran off with a motorcycle gang at one point? Or did hard drugs ("Gods and Monsters"), was a go go dancer ("Go Go Dancer"), etc.?

I know there is speculation about some things in Lana's life, but a lot of these speculations can be refuted, and others hold no weight (we have no proof of Lana dating a man called K, and the K songs might actually be about Video Games ex Josh Kemp). There's a lot of speculation, but no proof.

Some things have been exposed and verified (we now know a lot of her work is likely inspired by an ex named Rob who died of an overdose in late 2011). I don't doubt that Lana sometimes sings about situations relevant to her real life. But I would say that's probably 15% of her catalogue. Most of the time I think she has an internal world filled with the books, movies, and music she loves and takes from when it's time to write.

So, my question. If you knew Lana Del Rey was purely an autobiographical singer, how would your opinion of her change? Would you be more interested in her as a person? Less? Would her music carry greater meaning for you? What would be your opinion of her?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.
  • Cult Leader likes this

#2 OFFLINE   Amadeus

Amadeus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in northern italy
  • Time Online: 167d 13h 32m 51s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

her daddy bouGHT HA CAREER !

• Peachycream, SlowGinFizzzz and Clampigirl like this

i76mrxw.png 

#3 OFFLINE   jameshenry21

jameshenry21

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:20 PM

her daddy bouGHT HA CAREER !

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm or your honest thoughts, but I can say that I don’t think he bought her career. I don’t even think it’s possible to do that, even for someone richer than him. Anyway, none of that old gossip is really relevant to my question.

#4 OFFLINE   Kitschesque

Kitschesque

whole world's girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Locationwaimea
  • Fan Since:april 2012
  • Time Online: 45d 22h 29m 16s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

I thought this thread was going to paint her in a intergalactic empress light & would suggest she's not a real person and a goddess instead but it turned out to be meh

• Stargirl and GroupieLove like this

tenor.gif  afraid of sharks, but not the dark

#5 OFFLINE   GroupieLove

GroupieLove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Time Online: 2d 14h 52m 3s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:30 PM

tenor.gif
  • Lonely Lolita likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Ray

Ray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Fan Since:the beginning, hunty!
  • Time Online: 3d 15h 57m 21s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:32 PM

what if gays were in space?

• Amandine Insensible likes this

it's my prerogative.

#7 OFFLINE   Lonely Lolita

Lonely Lolita

I’ll Be Sitting Here Alone When The Ugly Lights Come On

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationLaying Dead In A Ditch
  • Fan Since:The End Of Time
  • Time Online: 16d 4h 15m 44s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:34 PM

#graham4anythingJr.
  • Kitschesque and Lana Rey Loreen like this

tumblr_n4gboeYnuO1tzzxf9o1_500.gif deception and perfection are wonderful traits

#8 ONLINE   UltraHeroin

UltraHeroin

Thinking of everything

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWhere the ocean and the stars meet
  • Fan Since:2015
  • Time Online: 53d 8h 2m 24s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

So, my question. If you knew Lana Del Rey was purely an autobiographical singer, how would your opinion of her change? Would you be more interested in her as a person? Less? Would her music carry greater meaning for you? What would be your opinion of her?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Um...but she is an autobiographical singer, she said it herself multiple times.

My body is stuck in the ocean~~~tumblr_oo739iaDzM1v31k7mo1_500.png My mind is lost in the universe*** 

#9 OFFLINE   terencelovesyou

terencelovesyou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationTamworth, Australia
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Time Online: 8h 13m 27s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:38 PM

It's all real. What we are really speaking  of are issues of persona. Identity. It's like Bob Dylan in 1964, the famous concert, where he said to the audience, "Happy Halloween and I've got my Bob Dylan mask on, haha."

I don't have any doubt that everything Lana has written or sung about, has had its germination in some "real" event. Now, what's a "real event"? Could be something she has personally experienced, or it could be something she read about or overheard or dreamed. They are all real events, whether she experienced them or not. If you imagine doing something, the same parts of the brain are activated that would be activated if you were actually doing it. There's no difference. So, in a sense, all events are real. I think it was Picasso who said, "If it can be imagined, it's real."

• UltraHeroin and Downtown Baby Doll like this

#10 OFFLINE   Kitschesque

Kitschesque

whole world's girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Locationwaimea
  • Fan Since:april 2012
  • Time Online: 45d 22h 29m 16s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:52 PM

It's all real. What we are really speaking of are issues of persona. Identity. It's like Bob Dylan in 1964, the famous concert, where he said to the audience, "Happy Halloween and I've got my Bob Dylan mask on, haha."

I don't have any doubt that everything Lana has written or sung about, has had its germination in some "real" event. Now, what's a "real event"? Could be something she has personally experienced, or it could be something she read about or overheard or dreamed. They are all real events, whether she experienced them or not. If you imagine doing something, the same parts of the brain are activated that would be activated if you were actually doing it. There's no difference. So, in a sense, all events are real. I think it was Picasso who said, "If it can be imagined, it's real."

@Burnt Norton interlude
@HONEYMOON being alternate stories of lanas life

tenor.gif  afraid of sharks, but not the dark

#11 OFFLINE   Peachycream

Peachycream

Cherry (live version only)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Fan Since:August 2011
  • Time Online: 94d 2h 36m 45s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:52 PM

Everything Lana says is real to Lana therefore it makes us interested.

Whether it’s fact or fiction doesn’t really matter because it’s presented in such a way that makes you feel like it’s real :)
  • jameshenry21 and pawn shop blues like this

#12 OFFLINE   Creyk

Creyk

Lana is better than you fav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • LocationNY
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Time Online: 78d 20h 40m 58s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:53 PM

Can’t tell if this is sarcasm or your honest thoughts, but I can say that I don’t think he bought her career. I don’t even think it’s possible to do that, even for someone richer than him. Anyway, none of that old gossip is really relevant to my question.

It is possible to use your money & connections to launch a person's music carreer. Look at the cyrus sisters, or Ariana Grande. Beyonce also comes to mind, her manager dad did a lot for her.

OT: You all are mean, the OP asked a great question. I think Lana is a very fascinating and mysterious person, and she would be even more fascinating and great if these things turned out to be true about her. Like a cool queen

• jameshenry21, wthebluemascara, ivy and 1 other like this

#13 OFFLINE   jameshenry21

jameshenry21

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:58 PM

I thought this thread was going to paint her in a intergalactic empress light & would suggest she's not a real person and a goddess instead but it turned out to be meh

It’s “meh”? I don’t know about you personally but for a lot of people the life events Lana sings about are interesting. There are pages and pages of dissection of her past and people looking for proof that this or that happened. I feel this is a defensive and protective response on behalf of Lana and the mythology she’s built up. I’m just asking hey, if it was all documented and proven beyond doubt, would she interest you more or less.

Um...but she is an autobiographical singer, she said it herself multiple times.

I mean...do you just believe things?

It's all real. What we are really speaking  of are issues of persona. Identity. It's like Bob Dylan in 1964, the famous concert, where he said to the audience, "Happy Halloween and I've got my Bob Dylan mask on, haha."

I’m not debating if it’s all real or not. It’s all real in the sense that she created it, wrote about it, sung about it. I don’t care about all that. I’m just curious as to how or if your opinion or love of her music would change if you knew she sang verbatim about her life.

#14 ONLINE   Belladonna

Belladonna

Deadly Nightshade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 51d 15h 58m 37s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:10 PM

We know miss Lana is a robot.  :hooker:

• cashcomesquick likes this

#15 OFFLINE   May

May

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Time Online: 140d 5h 18m 13s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:10 PM

if everything she sang about was real i'd probably look up to her a lot more and be a lot more fascinated in her. a big part of my (and others') fascination with her during the BTD era was that we believed everything she sang about was true bc we knew nothing else about her at this point. then she kind of let go of this persona, which was disappointing.

i do find it incredible though how she literally just plucks these random stories out of thin air and pretends they're about her, you need to have a pretty wild imagination to do that and pull it off in a somewhat believable way

• cashcomesquick, Bootynugget, Swan Song and 2 others like this

Posted Image

#16 ONLINE   UltraHeroin

UltraHeroin

Thinking of everything

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWhere the ocean and the stars meet
  • Fan Since:2015
  • Time Online: 53d 8h 2m 24s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

I mean...do you just believe things?

Well, Lana's life is so damn mysterious and especially her early twenties seem so tumultuous in general that it makes me believe anything tbh. Of course she may be exagerating a little when it comes to some things she sings about, but overall, I really do think that she's done a lot of stuff in real life too. I mean, after you read all the possible stuff that she supposedly did in her past, going with a gang of strangers on their motorcycles for a ride doesn't seem that wild or far off to me. 

So yes, if all of that is real, my opinions on her wouldn't change in a bad way. I would be even more intrigued by her.

• Kitschesque likes this

My body is stuck in the ocean~~~tumblr_oo739iaDzM1v31k7mo1_500.png My mind is lost in the universe*** 

#17 OFFLINE   pawn shop blues

pawn shop blues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Time Online: 56d 22h 11m 9s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:51 PM

Interesting question. I get what you're asking. Well, if we're literally taking every single line she's ever written and every music video as pure autobiography (including things like Rikers Island, biker gangs, having a "Las Vegas past" and living in a trailer park in NJ and living in motels and living in the south, being a teen alcoholic, escaping a cult, etc.), there's a good chance she would have either been dead at this point or so incredibly burnt out that she would not be writing and singing songs to a worldwide audience, she would probably just be trying to survive. 

I think I might actually be less interested. I mean, I would be impressed she has survived everything (again, reading every single lyric as verbatim and not allowing any metaphorical readings), but I think a big part of her appeal is the mystery and trying to unravel what is actually the truth and what is more metaphor/imagination. Also, I think knowing that it's not all autobiographical adds extra layers to her songs. I really like being able to get different readings out of a song depending on how you interpret it.

But I don't think I'm alone in thinking this. She said herself in an older interview something like "everything great is real and not real, including myself" and I think that's true and part of why there is so much fascination with her and her life (besides good music, obviously) and why there's been a million think pieces written about her. I get why she's been frustrated when interviewers have called her a character, because it's not. That doesn't mean everything she's written is factual, but that's not the point. Not factual doesn't mean not authentic. I think she's always written from an authentic emotional space, and used references/history/scattered life experiences to paint a picture of what she's been through in her life. To me, there's no real difference between that and a songwriter who has a lyric like "you broke my heart in two." Was that person's actual heart actually broken into two pieces? No, of course not, and almost no one would label that song as phony or fake because talking about whether the person's heart was physically damaged is not the point, it's just a way of describing an experience/emotion they've been through. Lana does essentially the same thing, but just takes it a step further (or maybe multiple steps further). 

Sorry for the novel. 

• Chiunzhan, jameshenry21, ivy and 2 others like this

#18 OFFLINE   Stargirl

Stargirl

the blade runner version of lust for life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • Locationelaborate mansion on the moon
  • Time Online: 173d 7h 34m 45s

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:44 AM

Only when I'm OP :hooker:
  • Tristesse, Kitschesque and Roctab like this

large.pngygRA7p0.gif large.png

#19 ONLINE   queenbitchpro

queenbitchpro

Cemetery Chick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Fan Since:December 2011
  • Time Online: 35d 46m 38s

Posted 15 June 2018 - 12:52 AM

ShowyAmusingAdamsstaghornedbeetle-size_r

• jameshenry21 likes this

TjmiIK4.png

#20 OFFLINE   jameshenry21

jameshenry21

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:04 AM

Interesting question. I get what you're asking. Well, if we're literally taking every single line she's ever written and every music video as pure autobiography (including things like Rikers Island, biker gangs, having a "Las Vegas past" and living in a trailer park in NJ and living in motels and living in the south, being a teen alcoholic, escaping a cult, etc.), there's a good chance she would have either been dead at this point or so incredibly burnt out that she would not be writing and singing songs to a worldwide audience, she would probably just be trying to survive. 
I think I might actually be less interested. I mean, I would be impressed she has survived everything (again, reading every single lyric as verbatim and not allowing any metaphorical readings), but I think a big part of her appeal is the mystery and trying to unravel what is actually the truth and what is more metaphor/imagination. Also, I think knowing that it's not all autobiographical adds extra layers to her songs. I really like being able to get different readings out of a song depending on how you interpret it.
But I don't think I'm alone in thinking this. She said herself in an older interview something like "everything great is real and not real, including myself" and I think that's true and part of why there is so much fascination with her and her life (besides good music, obviously) and why there's been a million think pieces written about her. I get why she's been frustrated when interviewers have called her a character, because it's not. That doesn't mean everything she's written is factual, but that's not the point. Not factual doesn't mean not authentic. I think she's always written from an authentic emotional space, and used references/history/scattered life experiences to paint a picture of what she's been through in her life. To me, there's no real difference between that and a songwriter who has a lyric like "you broke my heart in two." Was that person's actual heart actually broken into two pieces? No, of course not, and almost no one would label that song as phony or fake because talking about whether the person's heart was physically damaged is not the point, it's just a way of describing an experience/emotion they've been through. Lana does essentially the same thing, but just takes it a step further (or maybe multiple steps further). 
Sorry for the novel.

I see what you mean. Just because someone sings “you broke my heart in two” obviously that’s not literal. I think though, that for people who actually had/have been through many of the things she talks about in her songs (having boyfriends that go away to jail, dating abusive gangsters, dealing drugs, doing sex work, etc) might actually view her as inauthentic, because to them she’s an actress. I think it would have to be annoying to some girls who have husbands in prison, boyfriends, whatever, and experience the pain of that, or the pain of being a prostitute for example, to come across a woman who’s made millions of dollars (on top of the millions she was born with), basically using their life stories like an artistic prop.

Just my thoughts. She’s a creative genius, but I can definitely see how inauthenticity would be a real issue for people, especially the types of people I mentioned above. I know a girl who lived in a trailer in high school and we both got into Lana around the same time. When all the stuff about Lana somewhat...constructing this “white trash” image came out, she (my friend) stopped listening to her. I think she felt embarrassed that she had ever bought it, so to speak. I think it meant something to her to see someone like her make it.

I agree, her mystery is obviously appealing to many, many people. I can tell you that I don’t think she’s lived her lyrics, so to me there is no mystique. But she still captivates me, mostly because of how creative and intelligent she is. But to many, she’s mysterious. Mystery is a powerful thing. Of today’s popular singers, I doubt anyone knows this better than Lana.
  • pawn shop blues likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users