Sign in to follow this  
Make me your Dream Life

Lana track that had you hooked?

Title. Could be from her official discog or not. 

Which song had you obsessed with the artist that is Lana Del Rey? What comprised of that moment when you just knew it was THAT song that you had to hear live, had to see a video for, to be sung in a cappella so on. 

Born to Die was life changing, her voice, the instrumentals, the topics she'd sing about. I was mesmerized. Paradise came along shortly after, I marathon'd Tropico and waited for UV after her announcement. 

For me, it was all about WEST COAST. I remember Fern debuting it on the radio, and I'd been waiting to listen to it an hour before to make sure I didn't miss it. It was dark in my room I was just on the net waiting til it came. That song got me OBSESSED. The sensuality of it, the downtempo chorus, the subject matter, the guitar, those synths. It was so beautifully malefic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKxuiw3iMBE

That was the moment I knew Lana had so much more to offer. 

Watched the live performance of it online at Coachella, the dizzying yellow lights that hit the stage and audience at the bridge. How the colors danced around her dress. Utterly mystifying. The vid's such a dream too. 

I'm not sure how many times I've listened to the song, and I remember some moments I've played it to extend my experiences but damnnnnnnn. What. a song. I'll stop there

220px-Lana_Del_Rey_-_West_Coast.png

So. 

Which song had you hooked with Lana? What might be your favorite or most memorable memory while listening to it? 

UV/Honeymoon

The first song I heard of hers was Young & Beautiful when The Great Gatsby came out and I was obsessed with BTD/Paradise and that song for ages but the moment I became a STAN was when West Coast was premiered. Instant stan card when I heard the best song of all time

FzytWEW.png

Summertime Sadness for the first 3 days, but then Born to Die. 

I remember just being blown away by how deep she sang, on BTD especially, and it hooked me right away because the only other women I knew of who sang deep (alternative artists) were Shirley Manson and Fiona Apple. 

Also, the instrumentals had me feeling like I was in a dream, and it reminded me of Danny Elfman's compositions for Tim Burton movies, which I was obsessed with. I was a full on stan after Paradise came out and I let Cola and Body Electric grow on me (which I didnt really like at first)

Also, at the time I had a sick fascination for death, so the opening of SS had me like   :yesnod:

Video Games of course and then Off to the Races in 2011. I was mostly hooked on her small unreleased catalogue from around then as well, like Lana Del Ray, Driving in Cars with Boys, On Our Way, and especially Trash Magic.

Let me tell you a very melodramatique story.

In June 2014, I was a HUMONGOUS CocoRosie stan, and looking for new music. I was following two guys on Tumblr, both CocoRosie stans. The first had a "honey and tar" tattoo one on arm. It's a CocoRosie song name (listen to it, it's fucking good, best non-Lana album ever). He had "paradise" tattooed on the other arm, because of Lana. He was gay ofc but I was really into him, I was fascinated by how much he liked both Lana and CocoRosie, I thought it was so incompatible for some reasons. I don't remember anything about the other guy, except he was also a stan of both, and also cute, and also gay lol. Anyways - it happens that Ultraviolence leaks on Tumblr, and the second guy reblogs Old Money with the tag "so fucking good omg", I remember it so well the image of my dashboard with the post is embedded in my brain. The three Lana songs I had listened prior to that were Off To The Races, Born To Die and Video Games, obviously. I didn't liked Lana, I had this image of her of 2012 fake girl and also at the time - God forgives - I HATED pop. Oh actually I forgot - I had Sad Girl on my iPod but I had no idea it was Lana lmfao, someone put it on it for me and it was an old iPod nano. Well I don't know what pushed me to click on the play button but it fucking changed my life forever. Maybe because I was into the guy, maybe because I was looking for new music, maybe because I liked the song name, I don't know, but one week later I cried on a Lana song for the first time, in my tiny bedroom, at 34°C in my dirty sheets at 4am in Paris west side suburbs. I was OBSESSED with Old Money, the theme, the melody, the lyrics, the voice. Then nothing. I didn't listened to her at all until September. In September, still looking for new music, I was like hmmm. I kinda like this song, Old Money... I love that guy who loves Lana... What if I give her a try? And then I remember, I was ironing my clothes, watching Tropico, and I was so mesmerized I burned my pants lol. I couldn't understand the way her face was shaped and it was so weird, I had to rewatch it many times to understand her face was asymmetrical. I watched Tropico before listening to any other Lana song. But then, I watched West Coast, and Money Power Glory, and after bleeding those two songs to DEATH, I started listening to only unreleased, and I started reblogging pics of her on Tumblr with the tag "angel", and I stumbled upon Serial Killer and the rest is history, by New Year's Eve I was a full blown stan and I started collecting candids from lanadelreyfan's gallery, and only stopped when I had more than 15000 on my computer and thought maybe it was a bit unhealthy

And now, four years later, the Kristijan remix of Old Money is astonishingly my most played song on iTunes, and Lana was the first girl I kissed, and I have Ultraviolence tattooed on my heart, and I went to Los Angeles, in the corner of Sunset and Vine Lana talks about in Old Money. Life is weird. It's not my favourite, but I'm so thankful for Old Money and I'll never forget what it means to me.

ZKcaooE.png

Music to watch boys to was the first track that amazed me from Lana, gave me real goosebumps

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

The first song I heard of hers was Young & Beautiful when The Great Gatsby came out and I was obsessed with BTD/Paradise and that song for ages but the moment I became a STAN was when West Coast was premiered. Instant stan card when I heard the best song of all time

I guess I was just a casual Lana fan until West Coast came out. That bitch made me STAN :defeated:

Ding ding! Taste!  :dance:

UV/Honeymoon

In June 2014, I was a HUMONGOUS CocoRosie stan, and looking for new music. I was following two guys on Tumblr, both CocoRosie stans. The first had a "honey and tar" tattoo one on arm. It's a CocoRosie song name (listen to it, it's fucking good, best non-Lana album ever). He had "paradise" tattooed on the other arm, because of Lana. He was gay ofc but I was really into him, I was fascinated by how much he liked both Lana and CocoRosie, I thought it was so incompatible for some reasons. I don't remember anything about the other guy, except he was also a stan of both, and also cute, and also gay lol. Anyways - it happens that Ultraviolence leaks on Tumblr, and the second guy reblogs Old Money with the tag "so fucking good omg", I remember it so well the image of my dashboard with the post is embedded in my brain. The three Lana songs I had listened prior to that were Off To The Races, Born To Die and Video Games, obviously. I didn't liked Lana, I had this image of her of 2012 fake girl and also at the time - God forgives - I HATED pop. Oh actually I forgot - I had Sad Girl on my iPod but I had no idea it was Lana lmfao, someone put it on it for me and it was an old iPod nano. Well I don't know what pushed me to click on the play button but it fucking changed my life forever. Maybe because I was into the guy, maybe because I was looking for new music, maybe because I liked the song name, I don't know, but one week later I cried on a Lana song for the first time, in my tiny bedroom, at 34°C in my dirty sheets at 4am in Paris west side suburbs. I was OBSESSED with Old Money, the theme, the melody, the lyrics, the voice. Then nothing. I didn't listened to her at all until September. In September, still looking for new music, I was like hmmm. I kinda like this song, Old Money... I love that guy who loves Lana... What if I give her a try? And then I remember, I was ironing my clothes, watching Tropico, and I was so mesmerized I burned my pants lol. I couldn't understand the way her face was shaped and it was so weird, I had to rewatch it many times to understand her face was asymmetrical. I watched Tropico before listening to any other Lana song. But then, I watched West Coast, and Money Power Glory, and after bleeding those two songs to DEATH, I started listening to only unreleased, and I started reblogging pics of her on Tumblr with the tag "angel", and I stumbled upon Serial Killer and the rest is history, by New Year's Eve I was a full blown stan and I started collecting candids from lanadelreyfan's gallery, and only stopped when I had more than 15000 on my computer and thought maybe it was a bit unhealthy

And now, four years later, the Kristijan remix of Old Money is astonishingly my most played song on iTunes, and Lana was the first girl I kissed, and I have Ultraviolence tattooed on my heart, and I went to Los Angeles, in the corner of Sunset and Vine Lana talks about in Old Money. Life is weird. It's not my favourite, but I'm so thankful for Old Money and I'll never forget what it means to me.

Wth this is amazing. Thank u for sharing (sincerely) :hearrt: 

I get it tho, I've all these songs that I couldn't listen to for a while bc of guys. I empathize. Glad u got into her stuff tho yeas!!  :yesnod:

UV/Honeymoon

Omg i love all the little details you put in cause I can actually relate! I was also a pop-hater, and the way I discovered Lana was on youtube. Back in the days when you could see what your subscriptions were liking, etc. An Amy Lee fan account (Lead singer of Evanescence) kept 'liking' lyric videos of Lana Del Rey and I was like 'who the fuck is this pop singer'. Unfortunately it took me a couple of weeks of seeing her videos pop up before I clicked on one, because I was judging entirely by her looks. Of course I knew she was beautiful but I was just too caught up in 'she looks pop'. 

And before I knew it I was ALSO rebloging pictures of her on Tumblr,

oh. but only the edgy shit, like this

3cb7bee0508eacdb31e7eaa6765c327d--lana-d

giphy.gif

8Mc4.gif

coz you see, i had a horror-themed blog  :lmao:

And coming from a rock/metal music background, I was so confused @ myself when I stanned Radio and Lolita.