Sign in to follow this  
Lana De Los Reyes

Mariners Apartment Complex

Upon more listens, I have noticed

when she sings the words

"I'm your man"

it's as if The BGs BeeGees (Robin, Barry & Maurice Gibb and add brother Andy Gibb too) are singing.their breathy amazing harmonies

(like in their 1971 "How can you mend a broken heart")

and also a few parts have the "Space Oddity" that "Terence Loves You"  in the linear "Honeymoon" and also these references

place this in the 1968-1971 age (where had she been there, she would have had at least 20 USA top 10s already)

One Lana = 4 Beatles, 3 BGs, 2 Simon & Garfunkel & Brian & the Wrecking Crew harmonies

(but most notably,NOT  the Wall of Sound Spector like Ultraviolence had (which SHE has stated she is most uncomfortable with

that lyric)

So a message in what is and is not there.

(note-technical board wish- I wish this board had a 'save to journal' button so one had a place where thoughts as they are 

occurring could be all in one place).

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

the full quote according to Genius:

"The song is about this time I took a walk late at night with a guy I was seeing, and we stopped in front his friend’s apartment complex, and he put his hand around my shoulder, and he said “I think we are together because we’re both similar, like we’re both really messed up” and I thought it was the saddest thing I’d ever heard. And I said, “I’m not sad, I didn’t know that’s why you thought you were relating to me on that level, I’m actually doing pretty good”. And he was upset, and that’s when I wrote the song. I thought, I had to do so many times, where you know like I had to sort of step on that role where I was showing the way and I was sort of being the brighter light. But that’s why it’s so cool that you’re playing it. ‘Cause I thought that I’d just put it out and it would be one of those things that I’d put out just to have there for myself, but it’s cool being able to share it with people too."

Upon more listens, I have noticed

when she sings the words

"I'm your man"

it's as if The BGs BeeGees (Robin, Barry & Maurice Gibb and add brother Andy Gibb too) are singing.their breathy amazing harmonies

(like in their 1971 "How can you mend a broken heart")

and also a few parts have the "Space Oddity" that "Terence Loves You"  in the linear "Honeymoon" and also these references

place this in the 1968-1971 age (where had she been there, she would have had at least 20 USA top 10s already)

One Lana = 4 Beatles, 3 BGs, 2 Simon & Garfunkel & Brian & the Wrecking Crew harmonies

(but most notably,NOT  the Wall of Sound Spector like Ultraviolence had (which SHE has stated she is most uncomfortable with

that lyric)

So a message in what is and is not there.

(note-technical board wish- I wish this board had a 'save to journal' button so one had a place where thoughts as they are 

occurring could be all in one place).

What is your favourite album, Graham? im curious

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

What is your favourite album, Graham? im curious

She is like a book or a diary...one can't pick a favorite chapter, however, the next one is always a bit better, than the last one

so one would have to say my favorite album is the years down the road (and one never wants to when reading a book to go backwards, because one can't wait to go forward)

And it was the revelation that SHE was documenting/recording/seeing/writing from say the Video Games video and was the one filming it, as opposed to making fun

or being the person itself.

It all makes sense in retrospect down that same road but the viewer might not realize it

and I believe it is somewhat frustrating for her when she sees that some are not getting it, and some want her to remain in place, miss all the clues (aka those breadcrumbs)

and in each album she has reiterated what she is doing, only to have it ignored by some

Same as I believe SHE was political from day one, showing the struggles of women and then having them called difficult, hard to work with (so in essence being the early documentation of the #metoo movement (but of course having that woefully ignored and having people say she was inauthentic which was just another way of putting

a woman down).

clues like Burnt Norton, Coachella, Don't let me be misunderstood.

"You can't go home again" as Thomas Wolfe wrote, as David Lynch showed in the continuation of Twin Peaks.

and remember I have been saying a lot of this for years and years now.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I’m trying to connect the chorus to the verses. She’s obviously singing about herself to another in the verses, but is she singing from her own point of view in the chorus as well, or does she switch to another’s POV? The “I’m your man” bit throws me off, unless that’s supposed to be the man she’s singing to. Maybe I’m looking way too deeply into it? Interested to hear others’ interpretations.

The view from overthinking it:

The "I'm your man" refrain, which apparently refers to the Leonard Cohn song,  is a quintessential song about "love as submission". LC's character in that song is doing whatever it is the significant other would want him to do. I'm referring to the wikipedia page here (and I've listened to the song):

refreshingly, Cohen was hit by the critics for this (on the surface, quite stereotypical) Lana-esque song topic.

So if *she* is singing "I'm your man" (i.e., it's not a perspective shift), it would seem to be a kind of sarcasm or irony, by virtue of being what she expects "the man" to be, while not being the man. Matters get even more convoluted by the fact that the interview, which seems to ground the meaning of her song, has her explicitly *not* doing what LC's character does in his song (i.e., she is refuting the man and not putting on a "mask" that the significant other desires).  So it's kind of like LDR's a double-agent *for feminism* in the espionage sense, but then kind of blows her cover in the song (or is it the interview, idk).

She is like a book or a diary...one can't pick a favorite chapter, however, the next one is always a bit better, than the last one

so one would have to say my favorite album is the years down the road (and one never wants to when reading a book to go backwards, because one can't wait to go forward)

And it was the revelation that SHE was documenting/recording/seeing/writing from say the Video Games video and was the one filming it, as opposed to making fun

or being the person itself.

It all makes sense in retrospect down that same road but the viewer might not realize it

and I believe it is somewhat frustrating for her when she sees that some are not getting it, and some want her to remain in place, miss all the clues (aka those breadcrumbs)

and in each album she has reiterated what she is doing, only to have it ignored by some

Same as I believe SHE was political from day one, showing the struggles of women and then having them called difficult, hard to work with (so in essence being the early documentation of the #metoo movement (but of course having that woefully ignored and having people say she was inauthentic which was just another way of putting

a woman down).

clues like Burnt Norton, Coachella, Don't let me be misunderstood.

"You can't go home again" as Thomas Wolfe wrote, as David Lynch showed in the continuation of Twin Peaks.

and remember I have been saying a lot of this for years and years now.

:wowcry:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

The view from overthinking it:

The "I'm your man" refrain, which apparently refers to the Leonard Cohn song,  is a quintessential song about "love as submission". LC's character in that song is doing whatever it is the significant other would want him to do. I'm referring to the wikipedia page here (and I've listened to the song):

refreshingly, Cohen was hit by the critics for this (on the surface, quite stereotypical) Lana-esque song topic.

So if *she* is singing "I'm your man" (i.e., it's not a perspective shift), it would seem to be a kind of sarcasm or irony, by virtue of being what she expects "the man" to be, while not being the man. Matters get even more convoluted by the fact that the interview, which seems to ground the meaning of her song, has her explicitly *not* doing what LC's character does in his song (i.e., she is refuting the man and not putting on a "mask" that the significant other desires).  So it's kind of like LDR's a double-agent *for feminism* in the espionage sense, but then kind of blows her cover in the song (or is it the interview, idk).

I somewhat disagree here-

Leonard's I'm your man was from circa 1988. But Leonard was always political, but like Lana, like Simon, like Lennon & Harrison, was not necessarily overt about it.

In a  sense, Lana Del Rey character in Born to Die and Video Games also would do anything to please (in that sense) and the inner fight after that culminating

in Elizabeth winning by the end of Ultraviolence and Honeymoon and breaking away.

Now also, both are speaking metaphysically anyhow

As for the interviews- I always view all the interviews as distractions, redherrings and some well placed Macguffins.

And in her songs, the 2/3 1/3 also applies.

I believe like in Lust for Life she is speaking to the ones listening and in reality, if there is or isn't an actual male person is 100% irrelevant. It is ambiguous anyhow.

(Much like I myself believe "Watching the Boys" refers to the playas and musically "boys" were those making music.

-------------------------

I read a review of Paul McCartney's new album somewhere yesterday...(and note I am a Lennon fan not a Paul fan) and someone asked, is there anyone

else who has been doing it since 1958. (and yes, there are others like Paul Simon, Like Leonard prior to his passing, etc.)

But IMHO, had Ms. Grant been around in actuality, like she is in spirit, back in 1958, I would answer that person that YES, Ms. Grant has been doing it

as long as Paul McCartney.  (readers might have to read this a few times).

If only Lana & Leonard were equal partners from day one. (not she his muse, but 100% equal from day one, would have been quite interesting.

“You lose your way, just take my hand

You're lost at sea, then I'll command your boat to me again

Don't look too far, right where you are, that's where I am”

This is so beautiful i can’t even deal. The coast guard wishes they could be this talented :trisha:

:wowcry:

@@Terrence Loves Me

I think I need to add the following which I think would have been obvious-

IMHO

Every song on any of the albums is just as good or better than the first time I heard them. There is not one song less than that, and not one song I would

bypass when listening to that album.

So when I say the "next one is the best one" it just keeps moving forward

Mariners Apartment Complex keeps that streak going.  Now I await the new album in a few months.