Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Part of me is glad that this doesn't sound like anything from BTD to LFL, cos that shows artistic growth, however I think the Lana Del Rey persona has been getting slowly removed from every project since Ultraviolence and it is inevitable at this point... I understand your concern but just embrace it, she's finally comfortable enough to be herself and explore new things and no longer feels like she has to hide behind a persona or character. The sentiments of the songs are very much the same, just a new perspective.

I liked your perspective, I didn't thinked about it this way, it made me smile

original.gif

For me her transition from Lana Del Rey back into Elizabeth, tells a story on it's own, one that's perhaps more important than the stories Lana Del Rey the persona would be telling in 2018.

I think Lana has always been a misfit and has searched for validation (mainly from men, feeling needed to the point where she saw herself as a possession rather than a human). And gradually she has realised has grown and began to find herself, most likely through her difficult relationships and having to make decisions that wouldn't only affect her but others.

With Lust For Life, her sentiment was there, she wanted to prove a point and show that there was more to her than "the sad girl" she'd been labelled; and I do believe for a while she was comfortable with that label (cos she was accepted as that). Personally Lust For Life wasn't perfect, but who is? Lana has only ever written songs about love and hopeless romance and she finally had the confidence to reflect upon herself and her past (touched upon in Honeymoon) and then took it a step further commenting on the world and political climate. Yeah, some of the lyrics were clunky but it was a new topic for her lyrically.

Lust For Life really felt like an introduction to Elizabeth, even the space / witchcraft imagery showed glimpses of her personality. And the songs like Change and Get Free really showed growth and I'm beyond excited for this new era...

(ps. sorry about the essay, just wanted to share my thoughts)

im kinda shocked at the amount of fans that seem to be worried about her losing the LDR persona, i'm personally here for it

in fact, i think this may have been her plan all along

believe me i'd be so scalped if she ever released anything under lizzy/elizabeth grant

i feel like she's grown up a lot since 2012, and now she sees music as less of a time to play dress-up and pretend life is a movie, and realizes it to be her truest outlet for explicit self-expression and emotional honesty

People thought this with gag when she went "country." Plus it was rumored she would have been credited for A Star is Born as Stefani, but that never happened.

I don't think she'll ever go back as Lana. Lana is here to stay. 

i'm telling you, sis left miss Lana behind in Swan Song!

conspiracy/theory under the belt

"Why work so hard when you could just be free? You've got your money, now you've got your legacy, let's leave the world for the ones who change everything." Pop stardom ---> Legend status, to the likes of Bob Dylan and Joan Baez. It can only be reached if naive themes and lyrics are left behind for personal growth and awareness.

Let's say Lana and Liz are two different entities in this song. Liz tells Lana it's time to move forward, guiding her towards the light that is LFL (a more universal, thoughtful record).

"And I will never sing again, and you won't work (to keep up appearances/fake it) another day" - Lana to Lizzy

"You've been gone so long, you missed everything. The world can change in a day if you go away." Could be Lana to Lizzy, saying "I've been keeping up the appearances, where are you?" "Do you like where you've been and where you're going to?" Or, it could be Lizzy to Lana, saying she's been trapped in her own cinematic universe, completely unaware of the real world happenings.

"Say goodnight to the life and the world you knew," - Lizzy to Lana

and Lana back to Liz: "I'm gonna follow you."

Do you like where [we've] been and where [we're] going to? 

Swan Song is not about a lover to me at all. it's like lana warned us that there was a great change in the discography to come, that "lana"- the bad girl, sad girl, glamorous beauty queen coney island lolita, would soon be no more. the past freezes over and they rise from the water where the ice meets

5cc2b68a-a040-44d3-87bd-6e3a7cf60e65.gif

People thought this with gag when she went "country." Plus it was rumored she would have been credited for A Star is Born as Stefani, but that never happened.

I don't think she'll ever go back as Lana. Lana is here to stay. 

I am confusion?? why are you talking about "lady gahgah"

My gut feeling tells me this era is gonna be amazing.

In my head I see the visuals being a mixture of Californian beaches and Washington state forests. 90s laid back fashion with minimal make up too. Nothing showy or too glamorous.

She's coming across as confident in a very discreet, casual way (Which shows when listening to MAC). I'd love it if those vibes carried across into the visuals.

Also I don't think will be getting a flower this era.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

The more I listen to MAC, the more it feels like she's asking her fans for acceptance before she starts her new journey... "And who I am is a big time believer that people can change, but you don't have to leave her".

can she give us a tree please

like, imagine a sequoia, or a redwood? so california, so symbolic of her strength and confidence and legacy

I think it might just be water... I'd kinda love that though, it's pure and free, could also represent her cleansing herself and accepting the natural self. I also think water / beaches are important to her (as an escapism thing, HBTB, 13 Beaches etc.) and there's a lot of references to water in the song and the video for MAC.

Plus LFL ended with the sound of waves crashing and birds... 

can she give us a tree please

like, imagine a sequoia, or a redwood? so california, so symbolic of her strength and confidence and legacy

Yes, I'd love a tree instead. Just the whole vibe of strength, assurance, and stability. We kind of have a taste of it with the MAC single cover with the foliage in the background. I'm here for nature themed visuals - trees, waves, mountains, coastlines, etc.

Not to mention green is my favorite color lol!

I'd love Yosemite to be the closing track of this record, it's obviously very dear to her... And even if she's still not quite in that space, she's a step closer and would be a nice notion to carry into the future releases (like Get Free)

Based off of the song we got, I'd say Dandelions or Jasmines suit the vibe. I can't explain it. Just a nice, simple flower.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven