kitschesque

Barrie and Lana through their songs

As some of you may know I'm deeply into Lanalysis mess, therefore I make links to Barrie James O'Neill on numerous occasions and tend do believe he was a milestone in Lana's love life etc.

…..

…..

…..

I heard a whisper

Came from the night

Said I'm running out of time

You're so beautiful

So beautiful

You're so beautiful

I'm sorry

And then the light

Started falling down down the line

Down the line

And then the night

Lies a girl

She's waiting for me

^ So this part is probably a huge stretch, beware. It may be a dream sequence in this song, it really does sound like a phantasm visiting him in his sleep or right before he slips into it.

Barrie dreams of Lana. She's mumbling he's running out of time and it may relate to the conditions: she'd wait for him to get better and Barrie is afraid he's running out of time to change and that he'll lose her forever at one point. But then the vision continues and the light strikes representing hope and Lana herself and it seems like she'd wait for him a little bit longer to take his time and fully work on his problems.

Barrie's great. Cold Coffee should have gotten critical attention, and hopefully Psychedelic Soup (when it comes) gets him some. Anyway, in the Nightmareboy thread in the Entertainment forum @@Nightmare Boy Online (who's a fan who promotes Barry via social media) and I were trading transcriptions of what we thought his album lyrics were. So if anyone has any definitive info on the part of them that I'll next quote, it would be of great interest to post about it here. Specifically, at the end of the "hidden track" ending Thunder and ending the album, we disagreed on what we heard, and both of our transcriptions are different from yours.

what Nightmare Online hears
:

And in the night I started falling out of luck

Out of luck

And in the night there lies a girl

She’s waiting for me

what I hear:

And in the night I started falling out of LOVE

Out of LOVE  [or maybe LUCK or whatever, he's really hazy here]

And in the night there lies a girl

She’s waiting for me

Obviously the lyrics at this point could be crucial for interpreting the song and the album. Optimistically, I think that, even though the whole song agonizes over her, he finally indicates he is over her (or was at least starting to be over her).

@@slang Great to hear some feedback that contradicts things I wasn't sure about, thank you!

Despite our disagreement the things I was the most interested about we all agree on (the night part, and the waiting part in the hidden track)

I'll try to contribute to the Nightmare Boy thread when I find my spark to start digging again :teehee:

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

For some reason I cant quote the post of @@slang above every time I click post it just saves the comment?

anyway...

The Song Untitled I think you got perfect.

Wherever I go it said this:

"Oh I want to talk with you"t

"And Can it be perfect" and "And can it be real"  the first time he doesnt say And though.

"You know that I’m always counting for you"

"You feel like your life is running so cold"

Listen to that song from 3:17, what do you think that is? it sounds like him and Lana speaking to each other but kind of sounds like sex noises as well like him going "mmmmhhhh" and heavy breathing He definitely says "what happened" and she? replies "nothing"??? and then he said "I love her" then it sounds like she? says "mad", "mad", "mad" and he says "no im not"

WTF

Thank you so much for this thread. This was a pleasure to read. 

I think it's clear these two share(d) a very special connection but it was too difficult and painful for Lana to go on with the relationship.

You talked a lot about a dream sequence and that immediately made me think of their shared song "Riverside" because the whole song actually feels like a dream. It's got a very special vibe of sleepiness, it's slow and dreamy.

"I seen you walk along the riverside
I seen you walk along at ease
And in the air I feel a silence
It whispers perfect on the breeze
And there's a voice that keeps me company
It takes me closer to the stream
And in the break of any suffering
It makes me feel like there's no pain"

This verse also fits perfectly with MAC's "salvation elements" as you called them, Lana being the one healing him and guiding him on his path. 

Barrie sings, "Finally I'm getting closer to the dream, to my dream I believe."

Lana then replies:

"I'm up a creek and you're my paddle

Where there is you there is my soul
Another dream where I'm the witness
I am the witness to your goal
"

The goal could be anything. Maybe he is also unsure what his dream is.

Getting clean? No longer being depressed?

Releasing the kind of record that is so big, it goes down in history, the "Best American Record"?

They then repeat the chorus together over and over again.

This could be interpreted as Lana having her own problems to deal with, too. Her very own dream to pursue.

Thank you so much for this thread. This was a pleasure to read. 

I think it's clear these two share(d) a very special connection but it was too difficult and painful for Lana to go on with the relationship.

You talked a lot about a dream sequence and that immediately made me think of their shared song "Riverside" because the whole song actually feels like a dream. Its got a very special vibe of sleepiness, it's slow and dreamy.

"I seen you walk along the riverside

I seen you walk along at ease

And in the air I feel a silence

It whispers perfect on the breeze

And there's a voice that keeps me going

It takes me closer to the stream

And in the break of any suffering

It makes me feel like there's no pain"

This verse also fits perfectly with MAC's "salvation elements" as you called them, Lana being the one healing him and guiding him on his path. 

Barrie sings, "Finally I'm getting closer to the dream, to my dream I believe."

Lana then replies:

"I'm up a creek and you're my paddle

Where there is you there is my soul

Another dream where I'm the witness

I am the witness to your goal"

The goal could be anything. Maybe he is also unsure what his dream is.

Getting clean? No longer being depressed?

Releasing the kind of record that is so big, it goes down in history, the "Best American Record"?

Could be, in Best American Record she sings "My baby used to dance underneath my architecture" and "tell me how does that taste coming out", makes you think of oral sex tbh especially if the music video was meant to be for that song when she stands over the guy. In his song Thunder he sings "You wake up so gentle, I wake up mental, I want to kiss your ass babe, She blows my fucking mind away" and "Time’s getting older, whilst I lay under, I love the way the night knows,I love the way your mind moves" which gives off a similar feel of oral sex lol

Could be a kind of reaction to that song.

Tbh what we’ve heard of venice bitch matches this theory/analysis (or maybe i’m just seeing it that way because i’m being influenced by this thread lol)

I never meant to be bad or unwell I was just living on the edge right between heaven and hell & I'm tired of it 

Oh OP, going back to your Heroin theory, it’s worth noting that the verse that talks about the heat making the kids crazy and:

Oh, writin' in blood on my walls and shit

Like, ah, oh my God

Jumpin' off from the walls into the docks and shit

I’m pretty confident that this is a direct reference to the Charles Manson murders that happened during summer in the 60s. Charles Manson was able to manipulate his cult of young people to murder Sharon Tate and her husband.

They wrote on the walls using the victims’ blood.

This makes sense because Lana references the 60s a ton and tends to go for controversial topics. Not only that but it matches the blood reference and she mentions cults often , which were big back then too (Charles Manson’s cult and the Jonestown cult as examples).

Another fun fact: the cult leader’s name in Jonestown was named Jim.

And hello everyone! New to the boards! First post and v excited.

Eek!

Not to double post but just realized, going along with the Barrie theory, in Venice bitch Lana sings:

I dream of jeans and leather

That definitely matches the Barrie aesthetic and the looks Lana was pulling during that time.

Yeah there is quite a lot of Barrie links in Venice Bitch I think...

The jeans and leather

The lyrics "Bang Bang" - Nancy Sinatra's most famous song (Him and her covered the Nancy Sinatra's song Summer Wine). Also the lyrics of that song could fit into their break-up...

Now he's gone, I don't know why
And 'till this day, sometimes I cry
He didn't even say goodbye
He didn't take the time to lie
Bang bang, he shot me down
Bang bang, I hit the ground
Bang bang, that awful sound
Bang bang, my baby shot me down

"Crimson and Clover" is a song, she says he likes Crimson and Clover - He supports Celtic FC who's badge is a clover, could be a double meaning if he also likes the song. Lana wearing a Celtic t-shirt where you can see the clover a bit...

BChiJvZCIAA3VHP.jpg

"You write, I tour, we make it work" - he is a songwriter and im not sure if her other ex-Boyfriends were?

"Venice Bitch" - He also lived in Venice Beach.

"You write, I tour, we make it work" - he is a songwriter and im not sure if her other ex-Boyfriends were?

Jonathan Wilson is a songwriter as well! I personally think both MAC and VB are (at least partially) inspired by their relationship, but this thread is really fun.

I can't find it, but I swear someone posted a comment she left on IG about manifesting things and the life you want. Was that real? If so...what if she's trying to manifest Barrie back into her life via her music? (Probably a reach, but that would be so her...I stan a spiritual queen)

giphy-1.gif 

i live in g town do y'all just want me to go see barrie's show next month and ask him skjdskjdksj

I actually thought about going to that also, i've never seen him perform even though he does around the City quite often.

i live in g town do y'all just want me to go see barrie's show next month and ask him skjdskjdksj

I actually thought about going to that also, i've never seen him perform even though he does around the City quite often.

It's been months but idk if anyone can just straight up ask him if I were in his shoes it would make me uncomfortable :creep: But yeah I think he still deals with Lana related things here and there in his life so it wouldn't kill him to even consider answering these questions

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

I love the Barrie theories from you guys, especially the Venice Bitch one. I just found a few more lines that screamed Barrie to me.

Fear fun, fear love
Fresh out of fucks, forever
Tryin' to be stronger for you
Ice cream, ice queen
I dream in jeans and leather
Life's dream, I'm sweet for you

Could reference Barries depression, maybe him beeing afraid of fun and love or thinking he does not deserve those feelings. Also her trying to be there for him and be the strong one he can lean on.

Give me Hallmark
One dream, one life, one lover
Paint me happy and blue

Blue as the synonym of their relationship - he made her happy but at the same time pulled her down with his own inner darkness and made her feel blue.

From NFR I think we definitely can add California to the Barrie Songs as the Barrie anthem.

In addition these lines from FIILY

So I moved to California, but it's just a state of mind
It turns out everywhere you go, you take yourself, that's not a lie
Wish that you would hold me or just say that you were mine
It's killing me slowly

You moved to California, but it's just a state of mind
And you know everyone adores you
You can't feel it and you're tired
Baby, wish that you would hold me or just say that you were mine
But it's killing me slowly

give me Lana/Barrie vibes. They both moved to California but they also took their personal problems with them. Also Lana telling Barrie that he is fine and loved the way he is; but him not beeing able to see that.