Elle

“Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass” hardcover Poetry Book Pre-Release Thread

i just hope she releases it somehow so we can get it outside of sanfran

100% agree Rusko !! I'm hoping this isn't something she's handing out from the trunk of her car. Otherwise everyone is screwed who doesn't live near her

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

i'm very excited about this tbh. i like the way she writes, she's a this kind of free way of writing, it's so cool. they seems like waves of random thoughts. love it.

Honestly, been kinda criticising her poems since I've read the first one but...I like that. It feels so genuine, it feels like it's truly and uniquely her; and it comes from such a beautiful place. I mean, yeah sometimes it's cringy, yeah, it doesn't sound the best all the time, but does that matter after all? I say no.

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Honestly, been kinda criticising her poems since I've read the first one but...I like that. It feels so genuine, it feels like it's truly and uniquely her; and it comes from such a beautiful place. I mean, yeah sometimes it's cringy, yeah, it doesn't sound the best all the time, but does that matter after all? I say no.

i think all the flaws and cringy stuff makes it unique lol like you said, it feels so her. 

Weird Lana is back, and I love that. Her poems don't have to be great; they just have to be enjoyable and non-redundant with other poets' tactics. I think she succeeds on that level (for me). There are also bits buffoonery in her work. It's hard to explain, but here's an example. So "ying" is an intentional misspelling because she doesn't want to be a "yin", which makes her mispelling actually somewhat more original than had she said yin. Yet in the very next line where she has the (golden) opportunity to do a *meaningful* cliche ("hardness" instead of her chosen "toughness", thus emphasizing a sexual inuendo, which is certainly not unknown for her), she sort of says: "hah hah, you think I'm going there, but I'll just do the 'dick pic' poetically after my missed opportunity"-- i.e. "the striking example ... firm in your verticality".  Another form of buffoonery is displaying manuscript pages that look typed (and probably are), and using the obvious anachronism of liquid white out, which I would have guessed is non-existent by now owing to computers. Anyway, if she doesn't do a kindle (or digital) release of her book, I'm going to be disappointed.

The latest poem seems consistent with her BTD style songs, namely, some kind of weird-male worship and/or longing. The sort of "I'm nothing without you" theme. Also "a mirror to my past life retribution; a reflection of my sadness", seems contrary to the whole MAC song context, but with all the parallel universes she inhabits, you can't see it as contradictory, just parallelory. Anyway I'm thinking feminists are going to have a problem with it. However, for me, it's a just a poem (from one of the most attractive people on the planet) pining after a madman ('s dick? ), so hopefully the artistic sandbox protects her (i.e., literature doesn't have to be about her literally or be an advocation as such).

I also like the idea of LDR doing a spoken-word type album (as suggested above), with LDR doing background music, as that would challenge her in ways that would make her grow. Or if she didn't feel up to the music, collabo with Laurie Anderson, who does spoken-word-type songs/albums (but it would probably be the same guy that did Burndt Norton, if it were anybody).

I'm expecting this more than the album tbh.

Also i will obviously make my usual analysis and stuff

Weird Lana is back, and I love that. Her poems don't have to be great; they just have to be enjoyable and non-redundant with other poets' tactics. I think she succeeds on that level (for me). There are also bits buffoonery in her work. It's hard to explain, but here's an example. So "ying" is an intentional misspelling because she doesn't want to be a "yin", which makes her mispelling actually somewhat more original than had she said yin. Yet in the very next line where she has the (golden) opportunity to do a *meaningful* cliche ("hardness" instead of her chosen "toughness", thus emphasizing a sexual inuendo, which is certainly not unknown for her), she sort of says: "hah hah, you think I'm going there, but I'll just do the 'dick pic' poetically after my missed opportunity"-- i.e. "the striking example ... firm in your verticality".  Another form of buffoonery is displaying manuscript pages that look typed (and probably are), and using the obvious anachronism of liquid white out, which I would have guessed is non-existent by now owing to computers. Anyway, if she doesn't do a kindle (or digital) release of her book, I'm going to be disappointed.

The latest poem seems consistent with her BTD style songs, namely, some kind of weird-male worship and/or longing. The sort of "I'm nothing without you" theme. Also "a mirror to my past life retribution; a reflection of my sadness", seems contrary to the whole MAC song context, but with all the parallel universes she inhabits, you can't see it as contradictory, just parallelory. Anyway I'm thinking feminists are going to have a problem with it. However, for me, it's a just a poem (from one of the most attractive people on the planet) pining after a madman ('s dick? ), so hopefully the artistic sandbox protects her (i.e., literature doesn't have to be about her literally or be an advocation as such).

I also like the idea of LDR doing a spoken-word type album (as suggested above), with LDR doing background music, as that would challenge her in ways that would make her grow. Or if she didn't feel up to the music, collab with Laurie Anderson, who does spoken-word-type songs/albums (but it would probably be the same guy that did Burndt Norton, if it were anybody).

This is the best idea ever!!!!! I LOVE Laurie Anderson!

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I love the fact that she's writing about new themes. It always seems like she's kinda stuck in the past writing about the same scenarios over and over again, with these poems though she's starting to use new words/metaphores and i love it!!

13.04.2018 Rome - Lana wore my hat! 

Dying by the hand of a foreign man, Happily
Calling out my name in the summer rain, Ciao amore

I prefer her futuristic/technology references much more in poetry than her songs. This is why I just do not appreciate Love's verses as much as I should, or the part in Hope about the iPad. It comes off as corny to me. But if I had read those as a poem I could really love it and think she's a woke genius.

Idk

56686105_127854665030108_685488284027304

So, nobody's gonna post it here? C'mon, it's not even as bad as those other ones...

By the way, Vernon and now Joe... Who the fuck is Joe and did she really just decide to write a poem to every single guy she banged? 

Stripped of my own life

Past the bushes Cypress thriving

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I don’t get the last one, but I got happy when I saw Georgia peaches. : )

That long hair reference hints at Chase... I guess it might be related to him

If it's right then she really does write poems exclusively about her men

Stripped of my own life

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

By the way, Vernon and now Joe... Who the fuck is Joe and did she really just decide to write a poem to every single guy she banged? 

Schilling

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.