Elle

“Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass” hardcover Poetry Book Pre-Release Thread

I wish my english was better so I could understand poetry, it's already hard enoguh for me to read an entire common literature book in english

original.gif

I always said that Lana releasing a book is my ultimate fan wish, I'm so happy! Her mind is always so powerful, I'm so excited to read what she wants to share with us.

I don't get how someone that claims to be a stan can call this a "pointless shit". I mean, music IS poetry, wtf?

8bed6302093afb3474710b83255143a8.gif

I would of course be super happy with anything but I think I would be happier if it was prose poems rather rhyming ones. Which I think it is? She said if I didn't misunderstood "short stories that sometimes end in a rhyme" or something. I write a bunch of poetry, sorry for self-promo, nothing spectacular, but I know the process, and I think it would be sooooo much easier for detractors to bash her head in if it was rhyming poems, it could SO easily sound artsy fartsy or conceited. 

I would love this kind of poem structure, kind of like a song, but also not really, with lots of plays on sonorities but not necessarily rhyming. This one is by Patti Smith, already mentioned how Venice Bitch reminds me a lot of Woolgathering in the NFR thread but 

tumblr_p0pq5zBRVP1vlij4bo1_500.jpg

Or this one by Bianca Casady from CocoRosie, my fav poet of all time to the point I got her name tattooed on my thigh, I would love this kind of thing but with Lana themes

CTAV-0mWoAAjM94.png

Or this one by me. You get the point poems in prose but with rhythm. But most importantly I want the book to be well designed not just three word pages stappled together and wrote in comic sans 

djkfz.png

Although honestly her poems are probably gonna look like this 

ed85aed1b3432476a2869b49bca3eb45.jpg

ZKcaooE.png

I don't think so. She is a great writer and knows how to use the words. I'm sure it will be something really special and deep.

Well...... Sorry.... I thought my joke was obvious, I'm a hardcore fan of Lana's writing otherwise I would not be here and I obviously will be there the second it gets released with 79094948948 posts with variations of "yas queen slay me"

ZKcaooE.png

I would of course be super happy with anything but I think I would be happier if it was prose poems rather rhyming ones. Which I think it is? She said if I didn't misunderstood "short stories that sometimes end in a rhyme" or something. I write a bunch of poetry, sorry for self-promo, nothing spectacular, but I know the process, and I think it would be sooooo much easier for detractors to bash her head in if it was rhyming poems, it could SO easily sound artsy fartsy or conceited. 

I would love this kind of poem structure, kind of like a song, but also not really, with lots of plays on sonorities but not necessarily rhyming. This one is by Patti Smith, already mentioned how Venice Bitch reminds me a lot of Woolgathering in the NFR thread but 

Or this one by Bianca Casady from CocoRosie, my fav poet of all time to the point I got her name tattooed on my thigh, I would love this kind of thing but with Lana themes

CTAV-0mWoAAjM94.png

Or this one by me. You get the point poems in prose but with rhythm. But most importantly I want the book to be well designed not just three word pages stappled together and wrote in comic sans 

djkfz.png

Are you a fan of Patti Smith too?  :defeated: she's probably my favorite person on earth.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

CTAV-0mWoAAjM94.png

djkfz.png

Omg! You’re an amazing writer!

I can't say I'm a fan, I don't listen to her music, but everything I read from her I absolutely loved

Yes her writing is amazing! And you should really try listening to her music, I think you'll like it - especially since you (if i'm not mistaken) like Ultraviolence so much !

I AM MY ONLY GOD

def reminds me of jim morrison publishing his own poetry

buttt the downside to that (and i know lana is a fan of the doors or at least jim) is that jim published it personally and then gave copies to his friends only so virtually no one fan-wise has his poetry unless given it by someone who knew him or luckily found a copy at an old bookstore

not sure if the publicly published books have any of the same poems

but hopefully lana doesnt pull this scheme

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

I don't think so. She is a great writer and knows how to use the words. I'm sure it will be something really special and deep.

her writing quality has really decreased over the years, she believes that putting a swear word within a song makes it dramatic and engages the listener like it should be used correctly not just to seem out of place like in Venice bitch,heroin and cherry although I'm sure the poems will be good I'm not expecting anything outstanding maybe during born to die or uv but now nope.

def reminds me of jim morrison publishing his own poetry

buttt the downside to that (and i know lana is a fan of the doors or at least jim) is that jim published it personally and then gave copies to his friends only so virtually no one fan-wise has his poetry unless given it by someone who knew him or luckily found a copy at an old bookstore

not sure if the publicly published books have any of the same poems

but hopefully lana doesnt pull this scheme

It's more like Leonard Cohen's poetry books, which were always readily available to fans and friends (and fans are friends so to say)

but it is now much easier access for fans to know about something like this. And it now keeps it in house, though some could be delegated to book stores if she chose.

Chances are it would be perfect in bundles/in tandem with the new album (even if copies are sold early on, much like digital downloads in bundles,

but when the fan actually will take possession of the book is the question.

also, one would assume it could be sold worldwide at the same time, as it is not owned by anyone but her, so there would be no restrictions.

Question will be- what is the anticipated run, and if it is made to order, then there will be a delay in shipping.

She is not going to have many thousands printed in advance.

a funny thought flashed through my mind- for those that watch Better Call Saul -

imagine if she kept copies in her car and distributed them like Jimmy/Saul distributed his trackfree  phones.

:lmao: 

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

It's more like Leonard Cohen's poetry books, which were always readily available to fans and friends (and fans are friends so to say)

but it is now much easier access for fans to know about something like this. And it now keeps it in house, though some could be delegated to book stores if she chose.

Chances are it would be perfect in bundles/in tandem with the new album (even if copies are sold early on, much like digital downloads in bundles,

also, one would assume it could be sold worldwide at the same time, as it is not owned by anyone but her, so there would be no restrictions.

Question will be- what is the anticipated run, and if it is made to order, then there will be a delay in shipping.

a funny thought flashed through my mind- for those that watch Better Call Saul -

imagine if she kept copies in her car and distributed them like Jimmy/Saul distributed his trackfree  phones.

book of longing is my favorite poetry book ever, i hope its just as beautiful but not sure if she could even top it 

also interview didnt she just say she would drop off copies at local bookstores...... 

actually as bad as i want this, im not gunna get my hopes up. she says shes gunna do a lotta little things often and doesn't imo

e1s11.gif

fair thought but we also don't know for sure if she's intending on it being for fans, do we? not even positive it's being published at all either.

she could definitely just do it as a passion project and, like someone else mentioned, drop a few off in local bookstores in various locations (or even one location)

i feel like she's not going to turn into a publishing how for a book of 13 poems, it seems more something personal for her to do if she wants to, after all she did include it in the same vein that she mentioned she's taking flying lessons and she's not going to be selling tickets to 'a flight with lana del rey by lana del rey' anytime soon so who knows what's actually going to happen.

i kind of hope she's not doing it to solely market off of it though? like don't do that lana.

tandem is an interesting thought, maybe the poems will be the NFR booklet enclosed? like instead of the typical album info booklet, it'll be 'violet' and maybe they'll be special orders or maybe she's pull a willy wonka and make it random, THEN we'd have a major record merchandise success, you feel? and it would definitely come up online eventually, but if she's going to do poems and poetry i want her to channel her inner beat and really put something out, maybe even under her real name?

there's so many avenues to explore here!

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking