Sign in to follow this  
salvatore

How to Disappear

I think that line from HTD is a reference to Our House by CSNY... I mean, she did mention being inspired by the laurel canyon sound

ooh yes, it def explains the 2 cats in the yard! and the "life is hard" part can also be a nod to it (tho it's also something she sang abt before)

I am.. actually fine with this production tbh. The piano throughout the album sorta drones on enough to call it boring so this is honestly refreshing to have something that's closer to Cinnamon in production. The snippet didn't do it justice.

I feel like when she sung HTD she was still working on it, hence... all this. Anyway I’m kind of bummed by that F# midsong but I guess it’s ok? Although I do miss the piano bar vibe this song had

I hope we get a Masseducation version with that one, like the Apple Event performance, so I can erase the album version. It's such a pity because it is one of her most wonderful texts on the album and her voice is so nice. 

That's too bad because as it was performed with just the piano at the Apple event it was one of my all time favourite Lana song.

The emotion conveyed by the piano and Lana's vocals were really intense and really complimented the lyrics which are honestly some of her best.

The album version sounds a bit cheap. The beat is completely bland and the synthetic strings and horns make it sound hallow. Plus Lana's vocals kind of dissapear into the production. I particularly don't like the christmassy shaker, it's kind of kitch.

That's particularly dissapointing because I love jack's folk/rockish production on the rest of the album and the electronic he pulled in Cinnamon Girl and the whole Melodrama Album are fantastic as well.

It seemed that they were both bored during the production of the song (as seen on the Instagram stream, with Lana watching sports)

If the piano version had been included you would be complaining because of the amount of piano ballads:

NFR

HTD

Bartender

HIAB

hope

I love it the way it is. I don’t think it’s bad produced or cheap. She shouldn’t have performed it in first place; opinions would be sooooo much different now.

Piano HTD: the relationship is over and she’s mourning what could’ve happen in the future

Studio HTD: she’s looking at her reflection in the mirror while she’s getting into the wedding dress while her bridesmaids are drinking matcha latte

Joe met me down at the training yard
Cuts on his face 'cause he fought too hard

I know he's in over his head
But I love that man like nobody can
He moves mountains and pounds them to ground again
I watched the guys getting high as they fight
For the things that they hold dear
To forget the things they fear

Is this the first time she's ever made it pretty obvious who she was talking about in a song and even used the guys real name?

I feel like it's definitely about MMA fighter Joe Schilling. She calls him Joe, talks about him fighting and getting high which are both true and the line "He moves mountains and pounds them to ground again", "Moves Mountains And = MMA" "Pounds them to ground" - Ground and Pound is an MMA tactic when you get on top of someone and are striking them from above.

her best song in Y E A R S

these lyrics & her vocal performance in the studio & all the cute + gorgeous instruments come together so beautifully. It really reminds me of the 60s & Phil Spector’s wall Of sound, big, blow-out-your-speaker vibes during the bridge before the final verse.

One of the shorter songs on NFR yet it still has a beginning, middle, & end. Instant classic in her discography as far as I’m concerned!!! The live piano version was very pretty but I think the studio final is mesmerizing & Wintery & beautifulllll. It sounds like a wedding song idk, also reminds me of some Beach House songs. But the strings in the intro + throughout are classic Lana. They are like a matured BTD vibe, the strings are my favorite. & the jingle bells are so cute idgaf what anybody says

(~ ̄▽ ̄)~, ♥️ (◡‿◡✿)

14417469274.gif

Lana was in an apparent sadness slump when she "got back to New York from Boston" after being "fucked up in Boston" and wrote most of the lyrics for How to Disappear during that time. Cinnamon Girl was also written around that time.

I'm estimating she wrote the song at the beginning of October, as that's the only evidence I found of her being in New York - she attended Jack's show in New York October 5th, the same day she shared the first snippet of How to Disappear when it was still a stripped-back piano track along with a now-deleted video of her dancing to CamelPhat & Elderbook's 'Cola' captioned "pre-recording dance." Also, she was in Rhode Island on October 3rd, which could've been a stop during her Boston/New York travels. Then, Lana live-streamed Jack working on HTD on October 27th, with the first performance of the song being at the Apple event on October 30th. First Cinnamon Girl snippet was shared October 12th (my birthday!) x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Lana was in an apparent sadness slump when she "got back to New York from Boston" after being "fucked up in Boston" and wrote most of the lyrics for How to Disappear during that time. Cinnamon Girl was also written around that time.

this explains why the lyrics are so beautiful, introspective, & heartbreaking :crai:

14417469274.gif

her best song in Y E A R S

these lyrics & her vocal performance in the studio & all the cute + gorgeous instruments come together so beautifully. It really reminds me of the 60s & Phil Spector’s wall Of sound, big, blow-out-your-speaker vibes during the bridge before the final verse.

One of the shorter songs on NFR yet it still has a beginning, middle, & end. Instant classic in her discography as far as I’m concerned!!! The live piano version was very pretty but I think the studio final is mesmerizing & Wintery & beautifulllll. It sounds like a wedding song idk, also reminds me of some Beach House songs. But the strings in the intro + throughout are classic Lana. They are like a matured BTD vibe, the strings are my favorite. & the jingle bells are so cute idgaf what anybody says

(~ ̄▽ ̄)~, ♥️ (◡‿◡✿)

I don't want to sound rude but it amazes me so much how opinions can be so different from person to person wow. I'm only using your comment as your example. I myself can't dislike this song more.

I don't want to sound rude but it amazes me so much how opinions can be so different from person to person wow. I'm only using your comment as your example. I myself can't dislike this song more.

Lol no it’s funny ‘cuz I get that - I have been noticing some of your posts in the NFR thread & having similar thoughts. I think our rankings for the album tracks are opposites. With many of Lana’s albums over the years, I’ve noticed that my favorite song tends to be the least favorite of the majority of this fanbase. :rip: :( that’s partially why I’m so vocal about my love for them

it is definitely interesting how all of us as Lana fans still find so much to disagree on :toofunny: or just how we get entirely different feelings from each song. but that’s the fun of banter & discussion ~

14417469274.gif

Lol no it’s funny ‘cuz I get that - I have been noticing some of your posts in the NFR thread & having similar thoughts. I think our rankings for the album tracks are opposites. With many of Lana’s albums over the years, I’ve noticed that my favorite song tends to be the least favorite of the majority of this fanbase. :rip: :( that’s partially why I’m so vocal about my love for them

it is definitely interesting how all of us as Lana fans still find so much to disagree on :toofunny: or just how we get entirely different feelings from each song. but that’s the fun of banter & discussion ~

Well honestly with this album I feel that way for the first time. I love the least loved songs and the ones everyone's raving about are actually the ones I like the least. Except for How to Disappear.

Everyone seems to get their lives to Bartender but for me it's just there... I like it, but now I tend to skip it. Her voice annoys me.

and let's not even mention hope. I adore that track so fucking much.