Sign in to follow this  
Say Yes to Heaven

Hope is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - But I Have It [Sylvia]

She posted this in response to a post by Instagram user @lanasluck discussing the “black narcissist” line -

45957146624_7bca4c2be1_b.jpg

45957146604_78743582cf_z.jpg

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

One of the aspects I love about the song, is that we never know for sure who is talking when: is it Lana only? Is it Sylvia Plath at some point? Both? 

Many of her songs are about two things (like MAC, verse 1 is about the guy who doesn't understand her and verse 2 is more a reply to fans and critiques),and Hope is right there in that vein. 

I feel bad that she had to say anything in the first place. I'm sorry but how shallow minded do you have to be to think that lyric was about race and/or AB and Kanye? The song is deeply personal and that's very clear so why on earth would she mention either of them when they mean absolutely nothing to her? I think people are just so absorbed in stan culture and believe that the artists are too, the truth is the petty shit that happens means absolutely nothing to them. Lana has a life, her career is only a small part of who she is so you'd have to be a moron to think any of the drama that happened has any impact on her at all - it's completely irrelevant. If you had a problem with the lyric, you're the problem.

Anyways, glad that mess is over and Lana put people straight  :makeup:

Jack about the song -

31753332387_227d169f3c_b.jpg

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Jack about the song -

31753332387_227d169f3c_b.jpg

Thinking back on the interview where she talked about the first time she worked with Jack and said that she had wrote (what she thought to be) two of the best songs she had ever written.

Hope was one of those songs. Wonder what the other one is.

Thinking back on the interview where she talked about the first time she worked with Jack and said that she had wrote (what she thought to be) two of the best songs she had ever written.

Hope was one of those songs. Wonder what the other one is.

This is all speculation, but I assume Bartender or HIAB. They started to work together in December of 2017. She mentioned Bartender I believe at the UK awards or at the Grammys. It’s definitely one of the first ones they wrote. At that time it didn’t belong to a record yet, I would not be surprised if it’s on NFR. It’s when the record was barley beginning to form. Their earliest tracks made were probably HIADTFAWLMTH-BIHI, Bartender, Happiness Is A Butterfly, & Norman Fucking Rockwell. With Bartender possibly being the other song made on day 1.

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

Just read this on the Genius lyrics page.

Plath published a book called “The Bell Jar” one month prior to her suicide, she referred to be a look back to her experiences as though looking into a bell jar, which distorted into a work of fiction. In the book, she tells her story about a girl who struggled with depression but achieved her goals almost in an autobiographical way. In real life, Plath tried to take her own life writing that “she was succumbed to the whirling blackness” serving as parallel to the blackness Lana has been feeling.

Omg, I just bought the book like a week ago...!

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

How do you guys interpret the "Hello, it's the most famous woman you know on the iPad // Calling from beyond the grave, I just wanna say 'Hi, dad'"? I might be really stupid, I don't know, but I think of it as something literal - she video calls her dad and Lana, being a celebrity, is the most famous woman he'll see on that tablet screen. And, being depressed and maybe staying in bed all day (a "grave" or "tomb") is like being dead in a way, and she does her best just to call her dad just to hear him, maybe let him soothe her or just to let him know that she's still ok.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

How do you guys interpret the "Hello, it's the most famous woman you know on the iPad // Calling from beyond the grave, I just wanna say 'Hi, dad'"? I might be really stupid, I don't know, but I think of it as something literal - she video calls her dad and Lana, being a celebrity, is the most famous woman he'll see on that tablet screen. And, being depressed and maybe staying in bed all day (a grave) is like being dead in a way, and she does her best just to call her dad just to hear him, maybe let him soothe her or just to let him know that she's still ok.

I thought it was about Siri you’re a fucking genius

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

I thought it was about Siri you’re a fucking genius

don't be rude to clampigirl

she's our precious baby and she deserves to be loved and respected by everyone in this website

If you talk to her like this again, I'm going to send you to the gulag

she's our precious baby and she deserves to be loved and respected by everyone in this website

Um I’m not. I was saying that I thought that line was about Siri, and her interpretation is so much deeper, so she s a genius

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

I didn't pick up anything offensive about that comment tho? :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :thumb3: Save that spot in Gulag for something much worse. :kiss2:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png