413 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   Lanalouis1

Lanalouis1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

I take it as her referencing her time and experience in recovery. Specifically AA or NA meetings!

Thanks for that, I guess the song is very personal to her and might have hidden meanings she'll never reveal, but thanks, that clears it up!

• DLT and White Hot like this

#402 OFFLINE   ivy

ivy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

I take it as her referencing her time and experience in recovery. Specifically AA or NA meetings!

Agreed. I think the other previous three lines also refer to those meetings. They made me think of what she said in the GQ 2012 interview:

A lot of the time when I write about the person that I love, I feel like I'm writing about New York. And when I write about the thing that I've lost I feel like I'm writing about alcohol because that was the first love of my life. Sure, there have been people, but it's really alcohol.

I feel kind of uncomfortable for doing this, because I feel like I'm being very invasive. But I think these lyrics are one of the best examples that show her skills as a writer and how eloquently she constructs a narrative to express her feelings.

Spilling my guts with the Bowery Bums
Speaking freely with other alcoholics (in possibly an AA meeting). A reference to New York. Things she's loved and lost: alcohol.

Is the only love I've ever known
Confirming that alcohol is/was indeed the only love she's ever known.

Except for the stage which I also call home when I'm not serving up God in a burnt coffee pot
A hopeful notion: she's found another sort of love.

And in a more recent interview (L'Officiel 2018):

So much of your music is about love. What has it taught you? —Emily

"That it’s not what I thought. And that the best is yet to come."

Love is not alcohol; it is hope. And both are dangerous for her.

• DLT, californianfreak and urgirl like this

#403 OFFLINE   Jiggy

Jiggy

Tangerine Dreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

Having recently woken up to the narcissistic abuse of my parents, this song really resonates with me. 

I may be reaching since this is obviously a hugely personal song but my interpretation is that Lana is subtly discussing the impact of her narcissistic mother's emotional abuse and subsequent abusive relationships.

'Cause hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have
Hope is a dangerous thing for a woman with my past

Narcissists (people with NPD, psychopathy, sociopathy) live in a false, ego driven reality for their entire lives. They are unable to show empathy and sabotage their children's success in life in any way possible in order to maintain control and feed their ego.

It is pretty much impossible to treat people with these disorders.

Lana's finally broken free and realises that having any hope that she could help her mother change her ways and love her unconditionally would be a dangerous thing as it would lead to more trauma and abuse. 

Spilling my guts with the Bowery bums

Victims of Narcissistic abuse often end up becoming extremely empathetic with a habit of codependency in future relationships in which they spill all their guts into a relationship without any reciprocation.

As a result of being controlled by a narcissistic mother, Lana's relationships are effected she is often drawn to men who are emotionally abusive since her mothers conditional love was the only love she's ever known.

Servin' up God in a burnt coffee pot for the Triad

​Narcissists are not connected with god since they view life through the lens of their own ego, rather than the higher self, which is connected to the collective life consciousness i.e. GOD.

As a victim, Lana's energy and high vibration has always been taken from her and served to the 'triad'. 
In psychology, the dark triad is a group of three personality traits - Narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy.

dark-triad-qa-part-1-21.jpg?w=474&h=329
Calling from beyond the grave, I just wanna say, "Hi, Dad"

Lana is mourning the relationship with her father that was stunted by her mother's actions. And shading her mother to filth.

A modern day woman with a weak constitution, 'cause I've got
Monsters still under my bed that I could never fight off

​Referring to the lack of self confidence caused by the issues from childhood that she struggled to overcome.

Shaking my ass is the only thing that's
Got this black narcissist off my back
She couldn't care less, and I never cared more
So there's no more to say about that

She's realised that breaking contact with her mother is the best resolution, and acknowledging that she is finally healing. 

Her relationship with her mother has always seemed sketchy compared to the public support Rob always shows.

She's also shaded her mom in previous lyrics 

Pretty much all the lyrics from 'My Momma" on sirens 

And in old money 

"My father's love was always strong, my mother's glamour lives on and on"

Her father showed her unconditional love, but her mother was only concerned with keeping up with her grandiose fantasises.

• ivy, Loreen and bored like this

god-damn.png

#404 OFFLINE   LanaFlowers

LanaFlowers

Your Brighton Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts
  • Fan Since:2012

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:52 PM

@Jiggy CHANGE THE RED TEXT INTO A DIFFERENT COLOR ASAP! Red is for admins only!!

(not being a bitch just don't want you to get a warning!)

• Elle and Jiggy like this

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

#405 OFFLINE   ivy

ivy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

Having recently woken up to the narcissistic abuse of my parents, this song really resonates with me. 

I may be reaching since this is obviously a hugely personal song but my interpretation is that Lana is subtly discussing the impact of her narcissistic mother's emotional abuse and subsequent abusive relationships.

I'm so sorry to hear that, but thank you for sharing your perspective! Though it's difficult to make such a bold claim, I think it's very convincing.

If she really is referring to her mother in the line "she couldn't care less and I never cared more", that would paint such a sad and vulnerable picture. It also makes me wonder whether she has experienced psychological trauma as a child (and if that trauma has anything to do with her alcohol problems in the past). Who knows. 

On the other hand, I'm not sure if she would actually share such deeply personal things as she has mostly written about different kinds of troubles (heartbreak, fame, etc.). It would be such a different or deeper layer or something. Like, there is personal and there is personal, if you know what I mean? Idk

• Jiggy likes this

#406 OFFLINE   HydroponicWeeds

HydroponicWeeds

Hot Potato

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationRings of Fire, Hell

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:17 PM

'Cause hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have
Hope is a dangerous thing for a woman with my past
Narcissists (people with NPD, psychopathy, sociopathy) live in a false, ego driven reality for their entire lives. They are unable to show empathy and sabotage their children's success in life in any way possible in order to maintain control and feed their ego.

It is pretty much impossible to treat people with these disorders.

Lana's finally broken free and realises that having any hope that she could help her mother change her ways and love her unconditionally would be a dangerous thing as it would lead to more trauma and abuse. Spilling my guts with the Bowery bums
Victims of Narcissistic abuse often end up becoming extremely empathetic with a habit of codependency in future relationships in which they spill all their guts into a relationship without any reciprocation.As a result of being controlled by a narcissistic mother, Lana's relationships are effected she is often drawn to men who are emotionally abusive since her mothers conditional love was the only love she's ever known.Servin' up God in a burnt coffee pot for the Triad​Narcissists are not connected with god since they view life through the lens of their own ego, rather than the higher self, which is connected to the collective life consciousness i.e. GOD.As a victim, Lana's energy and high vibration has always been taken from her and served to the 'triad'.
In psychology, the dark triad is a group of three personality traits - Narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy.
dark-triad-qa-part-1-21.jpg?w=474&h=329Calling from beyond the grave, I just wanna say, "Hi, Dad"
Lana is mourning the relationship with her father that was stunted by her mother's actions. And shading her mother to filth. A modern day woman with a weak constitution, 'cause I've got
Monsters still under my bed that I could never fight off

​Referring to the lack of self confidence caused by the issues from childhood that she struggled to overcome.Shaking my ass is the only thing that's
Got this black narcissist off my back
She couldn't care less, and I never cared more
So there's no more to say about that

She's realised that breaking contact with her mother is the best resolution, and acknowledging that she is finally healing.

Her relationship with her mother has always seemed sketchy compared to the public support Rob always shows.

She's also shaded her mom in previous lyrics
Pretty much all the lyrics from 'My Momma" on sirens
And in old money
"My father's love was always strong, my mother's glamour lives on and on"
Her father showed her unconditional love, but her mother was only concerned with keeping up with her grandiose fantasises.

Have we ever know her to have issues with her mom? I never took the Old Money lyric negatively. I thought it was more of a reflection of what her parents left her with, so she’s building herself off of that. Her father’s strong love and her mother’s glamor. I’d have to read the lyrics to remember what My Momma was about but I don’t think the black narcissist lyric is about her mom at all, I think it’s almost like her speaking in 3rd person about herself?

As in “She never cared less, and I’ve never cared more” kind of like the theory that Swan Song was between Lana & Lizzy, “I will never sing again, and you won’t work another day”

It being about her mom seems too random to me honestly. I could be wrong and I guess we all have our interpretations (and you have ur own reasons, everyone can have their own attachment to a song I guess. I love this track bc of the personal-ness)
  • Jiggy, LanaFlowers and pincurlsandpearls like this

giphy.gif

#407 OFFLINE   takeitdoen

takeitdoen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

Outro of our mystery male speaker (Jack?)

Cause I had you in – in my head.

Are you real?
Are you real?
Yeah?

Is there any chance that I’m just gonna to wake up on the floor and the song won’t exist?

I’ll be very sad.

If I wake up, and you don’t exist, and the song doesn’t exist.

Yeah.

I hope you’re real.

• 320kbps, happinesisabutterfly, PARADIXO and 7 others like this

fame fame fame fame fame  Rick Knowles produced this signature and that's why there are stupid 'fame' echoes, just like on the The Next Best American Record

#408 OFFLINE   Elle

Elle

lesbritish

• Administrators
  • 5,478 posts
  • LocationLDN —> ATL —> NYC
  • Fan Since:January 30, 2012
  • Favourite LDR Song:Yayo (AKA Version)

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

Oh my god, this song is SEVERELY underrated. It makes me so upset to see all the dislike for it, because I think it's one of her most brilliant tracks to date. The songwriting is some of her best, and so is the melody. It's such a raw and vulnerable track, and the simple piano really brings that out. It's almost like a desperate plea, where things have gotten so bad to a point she's begging for any sign of hope. I've been there. I'm there right now. This song is so personal, I feel almost as if it's her most personal, and I'm so happy she shared it with us. I don’t understand why there's so much general dislike for it (honestly I think it's a placebo effect because of the single cover and the long title ngl) This song contains some of her strongest lyrics in my opinion, and contains the overall best lyrics from NFR tied with The Greatest. It's a masterpiece to me.

Here are some of my favourite lines:

Writing in blood on my walls 'cause the ink in my pen don't work in my notepad

Don't ask if I'm happy, you know that I'm not, but at best I can say I'm not sad

I've been tearing up town in my fucking nightgown like a goddamn near sociopath

Hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have, hope is a dangerous thing for a woman with my past

A modern day woman with a weak constitution 'cause I've got monsters still under my bed that I could never fight off

A gatekeeper carelessly dropping the keys on my nights off

• GodBlessMe, faatiecaatie, Clampigirl and 4 others like this

43424683735_fa2382c16c_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL

#409 OFFLINE   fucksforever

fucksforever

bartender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationHanford, CA
  • Fan Since:2014

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:00 AM

hope is one of my fav lana songs lyrically. plays out like a poem.
  • Elle, faatiecaatie and amphetamine like this

tumblr_px0cw3wMJU1r1brdqo4_540.gif

#410 OFFLINE   Clampigirl

Clampigirl

Child of Yosemite falls // Explorer of Hyrule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Fan Since:Early 2013

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:46 PM

Are you real?
Are you real?
Yeah?

Is there any chance that I’m just gonna to wake up on the floor and the song won’t exist?

I’ll be very sad.

Yeah.

I hope you’re real.

I was just gonna post what I could hear from my vinyl but yeah, it was the exact same thing as this. :3

#411 OFFLINE   evilentity

evilentity

hung like a mobile

• OG Moderators
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:17 PM

*Fucked My Way Up To The Top plays in the background* jk sis  :hooker:

You mentioned this song in a different context, but I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion in this thread about how the first verse seems to me a clear callback to FMWUTTT and her resentment that other pop girls haven't been subjected to as much scrutiny as she has (she's not wrong).

I was reading Slim Arons and I got to thinking that I thought
Maybe I’d get less stressed
If I was tested less like all of these other debuntates
Smiling for miles in pink dresses
And high heels on white yachts
But I’m not, baby, I’m not that.

Are you real?
Are you real?
Yeah?

I’ll be very sad.

Yeah.

I hope you’re real.

I was just gonna post what I could hear from my vinyl but yeah, it was the exact same thing as this. :3

Is this only on vinyl? (Still waiting for my CD to come.)
  • 13bitches likes this

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

#412 OFFLINE   Clampigirl

Clampigirl

Child of Yosemite falls // Explorer of Hyrule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Fan Since:Early 2013

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:22 PM

You mentioned this song in a different context, but I'm surprised there hasn't been much discussion in this thread about how the first verse seems to me a clear callback to FMWUTTT and her resentment that other pop girls haven't been subjected to as much scrutiny as she has (she's not wrong). Is this only on vinyl? (Still waiting for my CD to come.)

CD too.
  • evilentity likes this

#413 OFFLINE   Creyk

Creyk

Lana is my religion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,516 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

She talked about the song's meaning in the Q magazine interview:

It’s during the filling in of these long phrases that Del Rey determines the song’s meaning. Hope Is A Dangerous Thing… was easy to determine. It’s about the toxic

masculinity that she’d seen displayed on her journey through musical showbusiness, and her response to it.

“I think it’s dangerous for a woman who is too kind, I really do,” she says. “That’s what it’s about. Hope is a dangerous thing for a woman who is told to bend to whatever

comes along because it’s the right thing to do. So it’s less dangerous if you never gave a fuck, but if you care it’s dangerous on seven different levels.” She stops. “Do you agree?” Kindness is not normally a trait that bad men respect. “I always say to my male friends that good guys don’t know anything about the bad side of truly bad men.”

#414 OFFLINE   AnarKissed

AnarKissed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:59 PM

During a recent interview with the Washington Post, L.D.R. made a curious remark regarding her song Hope. Here is that portion of the article: "Some of her most intimate and enigmatic phrases swirl alongside one another during “Hope Is a Dangerous Thing,” including the lyric, “Serving up God in a burnt coffee pot for the triad.” Would she explain what the triad is? “I will not,” she says, smiling and shrugging. “I’m not going to tell everybody everything. . . . There’s so much to be treasured [in a song], just keep to yourself so that nobody can trash it.”" I too have been wondering about her use of the term "triad". Some Members in the above thread have suggested that it refers to the Holy Trinity. Jiggy says that it could refer to the Dark Triad of psychology. These interpretations are interesting and may have validity. When I first heard the lyric I thought it could refer to three individuals, perhaps close family and/or friends whom L.D.R. has had as guests in her home. Then I wondered if she could be referring to one of the infamous Triads which are said to be a loose conglomeration of Organized Crime syndicates. But, seeing as she is now involved with a lawman, this last hypothesis may be the most spurious of my conjectures. I can't help but be reminded of a certain scene in David Lynch's modern-noir film Mulholland Drive in which he hints at the influence of Organize Crime in the movie business...but that's neither here nor there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users