#401 OFFLINE   Lanalouis1

Lanalouis1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationCheshire, UK
  • Time Online: 24d 11h 20m 22s

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:50 PM

I take it as her referencing her time and experience in recovery. Specifically AA or NA meetings!

Thanks for that, I guess the song is very personal to her and might have hidden meanings she'll never reveal, but thanks, that clears it up!

• DLT likes this

#402 OFFLINE   ivy

ivy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 68d 2h 5m 49s

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

I take it as her referencing her time and experience in recovery. Specifically AA or NA meetings!

Agreed. I think the other previous three lines also refer to those meetings. They made me think of what she said in the GQ 2012 interview:

A lot of the time when I write about the person that I love, I feel like I'm writing about New York. And when I write about the thing that I've lost I feel like I'm writing about alcohol because that was the first love of my life. Sure, there have been people, but it's really alcohol.

I feel kind of uncomfortable for doing this, because I feel like I'm being very invasive. But I think these lyrics are one of the best examples that show her skills as a writer and how eloquently she constructs a narrative to express her feelings.

Spilling my guts with the Bowery Bums
Speaking freely with other alcoholics (in possibly an AA meeting). A reference to New York. Things she's loved and lost: alcohol.

Is the only love I've ever known
Confirming that alcohol is/was indeed the only love she's ever known.

Except for the stage which I also call home when I'm not serving up God in a burnt coffee pot
A hopeful notion: she's found another sort of love.

And in a more recent interview (L'Officiel 2018):

So much of your music is about love. What has it taught you? —Emily

"That it’s not what I thought. And that the best is yet to come."

Love is not alcohol; it is hope. And both are dangerous for her.

• DLT and californianfreak like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users