Sign in to follow this  
BluVelvUnderground

2019 Oscar Predictions?

Well the noms are quite underwhelming though not unexpected tbh. This is the first year in a few when I can't watch the actual awards ceremony live because of work which I'm pissed about but with these nominations I'm not as sad about it.

Well the noms are quite underwhelming though not unexpected tbh. This is the first year in a few when I can't watch the actual awards ceremony live because of work which I'm pissed about but with these nominations I'm not as sad about it.

Yeah, even the surprises were kind of expected (other than that shocker in supporting actress.) 

Overall, I'm not even much of a fan of most of them, so I'm not even rooting for much of anything. 

Bummed Ethan Hawke missed in Actor. 

RBG will win best documentary (that they didn't nominate "Won't you be my neighbor" insures that. May RBG live longer than the fraud in offices one-term.)

Spike will take Best Adaptation & possibly Director

Cuaron most likely Foreign Film and Screenplay

Movie may go to Green though it would be cool if Black Panther won but why wasn't Ryan C nominated for best director?

Supporting Actor Ali  though wouldn't mind if Sam Elliott won

Supporting Actress Rachel

Actor Bale or Viggo

Actress Glenn Close because of her academy worthy Golden Globes speech (if one thinks that wasn't memorized by the "greatest actress of her time") but she deserves an Oscar anyhow for many things including The Natural. 
As they probably can't have ties anymore, it would be cool if Glenn and Gaga both won (and Gaga probably will win song)

I am not of the opinion that Rami deserves the award. Freddie was an original. Rami is nothing more than a copy. Not to mention they fudged the truth.

Looking forward for the Elton movie.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I'm honestly ok with almost anything, except Hereditary, Ari Aster and Toni Collette getting snubbed. I'm the most excited about best animated picture because almost all the nominees are so solid :defeated:

8nl2OpX.png

A Star Is Born was decent enough but all this recognition is white noise wtf

I thought Golden Globes were a moment in time but I guess the Academy lost their minds as well

To be honest, outside of horror and foreign films, it was a pretty weak year, overall. 

And we know they have one or two foreign films they focus on a year - and they are hard on horror, so it's not surprising, honestly.

They've always been "lost" in some fashion.  :oprah2:

Just a random fun fact. Possibly nobody else cares, but I found it interesting. 

Both Sam Elliott and Sam Rockwell - with their nominations, respectively, for A Star Is Born and Vice - have become two of the five shortest performances to ever be nominated for the Supporting Actor Oscar. Both performances have yet to be timed, but the record for this has been held by Ned Beatty in Network from 1976, who was only in his film for 6 minutes and still got the nomination.  

Elliott is speculated to have between 6 to 7 minutes, placing him in the top 5 in terms of the shortest. Rockwell does, too, although it's actually very much possible that Rockwell was in his film for less than 6 minutes, meaning his work as George W. Bush in Vice could very well be the shortest performance to have ever been nominated for Supporting Actor (which also places him in the 5 shortest performances to ever be nominated in any category at the Oscars in history.)

Even then, Elliott and Rockwell are the first performances in Supporting Actor since 1977 to crack the shortest five. 

Just interesting, since there's been some criticism on them for being borderline "cameos". It's been almost half-a-century since the Academy has recognized them this short, and again, Rockwell may hold the new record. His role in Vice consists of small scenes where he appears briefly, with only one major scene where he talks with Christian Bale while eating chicken. 

So yes. Sam Rockwell got nominated for a cameo for playing George W. Bush eating fried chicken.  :derpna2:

the only thing Lice deserved is a 1 star ranking bc that film was utter trash

elliott doing nothing for 5 of his 6 minutes of screen time

Eh, I thought Elliott was restrained, subtle, and showed emotion in his minimal screentime.

I have yet to see Vice. Have you? What all does Rockwell do in it? 

Eh, I thought Elliott was restrained, subtle, and showed emotion in his minimal screentime.

I have yet to see Vice. Have you? What all does Rockwell do in it?

i have seen it and erased it from my memory :awkney:

i76mrxw.png