Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful Loser

Web article: Lana Del Rey is so sad, but it’s actually political

Has it occurred to any of these journalist at any point that maybe in the past Lana wasn't just some lost longing puppy who's only desire was to fulfill the needs of her men and she was in fact a woman in charge and aware of her choices and enjoyed doing the things she's claimed in her music? Is there a certain requirement for what is deemed self empowered women? Must all self empowered women have a disdain for carrying such traits as Lana had previously shown? Who's to say she wasn't a strong independent woman to begin with?

well these are all part or the issues i have with this stupid narrative as well

i76mrxw.png 

Has it occurred to any of these journalist at any point that maybe in the past Lana wasn't just some lost longing puppy who's only desire was to fulfill the needs of her men and she was in fact a woman in charge and aware of her choices and enjoyed doing the things she's claimed in her music? Is there a certain requirement for what is deemed self empowered women? Must all self empowered women have a disdain for carrying such traits as Lana had previously shown? Who's to say she wasn't a strong independent woman to begin with?

Some people don't understand that part of feminism is supporting women/people's right to choose. That could mean either wanting to be on your own, or wanting to be a housewife/househusband to a guy/girl. Both should be respected choices. Like you said I don't understand why empowerment needs to be you fighting off every man and going against the grain, like some people just enjoy what they enjoy and maybe they did their own power in that. I'm just tired of people thinking so one-sided you know? Like let people do what makes them happy, that's human empowerment!

giphy.gifB8iC.gifgiphy.gif

Tell Anne I say hi!!!

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

Lmao. We're talking about the fact that LFL was Lana trying to force herself into a positive direction to believe her own hype, which was fucking obvious. Also the fact that Hope Is A Dangerous Thing is a clear sign that she really is going down a self deception route, that she's not actually happy, and that she's ignoring her emotions and pain rather than dealing with them, "they write that I'm happy, they know that I'm not, but at least I can say I'm not sad" is Lana's way of telling us she's bottling up what she feels, because you're not supposed to feel nothing lmao. Feeling nothing is a clear sign of depression and I'm surprised you guys haven't pointed it out, because it's not like healthy people feel empty and nothingness. Don't forget Lana's also currently seeking guidance from a place like Hillsong. So all signs point to the answer, if you choose to ignore them as a fan, or as a human being, then I don't know what world you live in. You would think by now people would be more aware of mental illness seeing as it's effects so many people.

The way I see it is that although Lana is not happy, she isn't sad or as sad as she was before. And being in between happy and sad does not need to be nothingness - she could be a bit of both, but not at either extreme. She could be going to Hillsong (not saying this is the right thing to do), talking about being an instagram baddie, going out more with her friends, etc, because she is now in a place where she feels like she can try and integrate herself into a community more and wants to belong somewhere - so I don't think these are necessarily short term solutions. Of course they are unlikely to be long-term solutions, but they may help the process of growing and learning to cope better. By doing these things and becoming more politically active she may find a sense of meaning in life, which then could help her to feel more supported and that she has a safe space to grow. I agree with you that two years is an incredibly short time to go from singing songs like TBD to LFL, which may imply she is miraculously happy all the time. But I don't think this was the case either - I don't see LFL as a happy record, I see it as Lana being in a state of confusion and a search for meaning, and recognising that it will be a rocky road to recovery or managing her sadness. I don't think Lana has ever claimed to be 'happy', but I think she has claimed to be really trying to get there, and LFL seems to be where that journey to be happy really started.

I hope that doesn't come off as me being blunt or rude, it's just how I see things! :)

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

The way I see it is that although Lana is not happy, she isn't sad or as sad as she was before. And being in between happy and sad does not need to be nothingness - she could be a bit of both, but not at either extreme. She could be going to Hillsong (not saying this is the right thing to do), talking about being an instagram baddie, going out more with her friends, etc, because she is now in a place where she feels like she can try and integrate herself into a community more and wants to belong somewhere - so I don't think these are necessarily short term solutions. Of course they are unlikely to be long-term solutions, but they may help the process of growing and learning to cope better. By doing these things and becoming more politically active she may find a sense of meaning in life, which then could help her to feel more supported and that she has a safe space to grow. I agree with you that two years is an incredibly short time to go from singing songs like TBD to LFL, which may imply she is miraculously happy all the time. But I don't think this was the case either - I don't see LFL as a happy record, I see it as Lana being in a state of confusion and a search for meaning, and recognising that it will be a rocky road to recovery or managing her sadness. I don't think Lana has ever claimed to be 'happy', but I think she has claimed to be really trying to get there, and LFL seems to be where that journey to be happy really started.

I hope that doesn't come off as me being blunt or rude, it's just how I see things! :)

I totally agree. I just think she's at a crossroad. Whatever decisions she makes thus far will determine what she feels. But yes I agree with everything you said!

giphy.gifB8iC.gifgiphy.gif

Who's to say she wasn't a strong independent woman to begin with? 

I agree. It is proven in the Video Games video. (which really only became apparent many years later in retrospect as should every other be looked at)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

"She appears on the cover of her new album Norman Fucking Rockwell (to be released early next year) makeup free. Granted her face still glows in the manner of someone who religiously follows a 10-step skincare regime, but her skin is missing the excessive powdery pink blush. Her 50s style flat iron waves are replaced by a simple bob. I’ve never seen someone look more strange in a t-shirt."

What the fuck? Aren't they talking about the Mariners Apartment Complex cover? Not the actual whole album?

I feel like looking at Sylvia's entire work and life through the lenses of her unhappy love life is very naive and stereotypical reading that does not do her justice and made me not want to read the rest of the article.

i am nothing and should be everything