Beautiful Loser

Lana's lacking live performances - a discussion

i agree that her music is better suited to intimate venues, but lbr, she's always been criticized for her live performances (often unfairly so). i first saw her live in 2012 in a venue with a max capacity of ~1500 & her reputation was already terrible (the fact that this was post SNL debacle didn't help, ofc) and didn't really get better in the following years: when anyone mentioned an LDR live show, the comments were invariably "eh, i heard she sucks live, should i bother?". her vocals have unarguably gotten better since then, but tbh i think a lot of people are disappointed by her current comparative lack of effort & drama re: outfits, styling, set design, etc. - which is a fair complaint, but imo has more to do with how she evolved as a person than anything else.

I wish she'd do more inside shows, too. I feel like when she's in a large stadium setting she uses more playback audio and it takes away from her real vocals. Her performances at Amoeba and iTunes are my top favorites.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to bop around at a wild show too haha

I DON'T LIKE LANA ANYMORE

tumblr_mjladggtVx1rdgz31o1_400.gif

PLS DELETE MY ACCOUNT

If sis SERIOUSLY sings Shades of Cool during this upcoming tour - like, actually sings it - I will be shocked.

She missed some of the NFR notes in the live stream and I just cannot see Shades of Cool happening, sorry.

If I'm wrong I'll come back and apologise to no one in particular.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I saw her in 2013 in Hamburg and last year in Berlin and I was kind of disappointed after the show, to say the least. The difference was huge in my opinion. I remember her singing Heart Shaped Box in 2013 and the goosebumps I had :defeated: . I do understand that she is afraid of not hitting the notes but not even trying anymore is a let down for me. And I guess that the more afraid she is, the more difficult it gets to hit the notes. Like you all said before, maybe a vocal coach would be helpful, showing her techniques or taking away the fear. Because I don't think it's because of pure laziness that she doesn't sing that much anymore.

The positive surprise for me was her singing Yayo - only her and her guitar, which felt very intimate and real to me. I really liked the little medley, too. After a lot of thinking I bought tickets for her show next year in Berlin - I'll go there without expectations so that I won't be disappointed again. But I do pray for a live performance of Shades of Cool :flutter:

If sis SERIOUSLY sings Shades of Cool during this upcoming tour - like, actually sings it - I will be shocked.

She missed some of the NFR notes in the live stream and I just cannot see Shades of Cool happening, sorry.

If I'm wrong I'll come back and apologise to no one in particular.

She consciously avoided every high note on the song on that livestream, except the last ones -where it would have been too unforgivable even for her fans-, where she failed. Don't know what she's doing.

She not only needs a vocal coach but a good therapist to help with her stage anxiety. At this point in her career she should’ve lost some of stage fright but something is holding her back.

God her mangers should’ve known and done something from the start but I guess they don’t give a shit....

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

The energy in this performance. Iconic

Everything about this performance is amazing. There is something so endearing, and HUMAN about how you can see how unsure of herself she is at some parts and forces her way through. I get goosebumps watching this.

Lana hasn't done a great show since 2014. Nope, I wasn't impressed with her Endless Summer tour either.  :usrs: 

Her live shows prime was in 2012 - 2013. She was okay in 2014. After that - nope. 

I wouldn't go to any of her shows today even if I got free tickets. Between her lack of singing, poor effort, horrible clothing choices and the psychotic screaming stans - no thank you. 

I'll watch it on YouTube better. 

PS: How in the world do you post videos in here? I wanted to post a few videos here but all I see is the link when I post the video.

saying she has gotten better when she struggles with basic breathing during songs, sounds strained for lack of vocal technique and lessons, changes the tone of the songs because she can't sing in her normal register because she decided to lower her voice when everyone knows that, that is in fact dangerous and damages for her own vocals chords makes what you are saying are look ridiculous, totally agree on the fact that her confidence level is on the clouds but singing the same songs since 2012 gets old and tired. The only reason she sings the same couple songs since 2012 is because she wants to make sure the crowd isn't dead on her just like they did on 2016.

TOTALLY FUCKING AGREE, I don't know why she sings the same fucking songs when she doesn't take them seriously, 

Also add the fact all the years she's been smoking and now Vaping (which is even more dangerous then cigarettes) - is it any wonder why her voice isn't the same anymore? 

Lana hasn't done a great show since 2014. Nope, I wasn't impressed with her Endless Summer tour either.  :usrs: 

Her live shows prime was in 2012 - 2013. She was okay in 2014. After that - nope. 

I wouldn't go to any of her shows today even if I got free tickets. Between her lack of singing, poor effort, horrible clothing choices and the psychotic screaming stans - no thank you. 

I'll watch it on YouTube better. 

PS: How in the world do you post videos in here? I wanted to post a few videos here but all I see is the link when I post the video.

I saw her in 2014 for the first time and tbh she was pretty bad. The venue sucked, the sound was awful, and the fans were atrocious. I was pretty disappointed, but I also knew live performance wasn't really her strength and didn't hold it against her too much.

I saw her again in 2018 and she was flawless. It was a stunning show from start to finish. The sound was great, her voice was incredible, her stage presence was compelling. It was an unbelievable show, one of the best concerts I've been to.

I've only seen Lana Del Rey live in concert twice. Once during the Endless Summer Tour, and once during the L.A. to the Moon Tour; so I can only base my opinion of L.D.R.'s live shows on these two experiences. I must say that it was a disappointment to hear Lana singing over pre-recorded vocals, and I wish she would just get rid of them, I'd rather hear Lana's voice, even if it's not perfect and she makes mistakes. Having said that, for me, the great appeal of a Lana Del Rey show goes beyond just seeing her and hearing her voice, although this is the central feature. In my humble opinion, when I go to a Lana Del Rey show, I'm not just going to see some pop star, I'm going to some kind of modern day mystical ceremony or ritual. At that first show, Lana and Courtney Love were about an hour late, it was an open-air venue, and the show didn't begin until after nightfall, and I believe this was a deliberate part of the show. It is well known among esotericists that the human mind becomes more susceptible at night. Although the screaming fans at times hindered my ability to listen to Lana, I enjoyed being in the presence of that intense energy; this was also an integral part of the show. I realize that I am such a fan of L.D.R. that I lose my objectivity. This is just my humble opinion.

It's amazing that Lana's reputation has positively grown in many ways - critics finally embrace her music, she stuck to her guns with her visual style so it seems more authentic and therefore more respected, etc - but in order to become a true all-rounder she needs to start delivering a killer stage show. It's almost like she's in her new prime (not saying this is her peak, I hope it gets even better from here!) so it would be a perfect time for her to overhaul her approach to shows and make great live performances another thing she's known for, especially after the whole SNL debacle.

Don't get me wrong - Lana can deliver a great live show, in that she's very talented and we all know she can sing. It's almost like she chooses not to. As people have already said in this thread: heavy backing track, relying on the audience to sing-along, not leaving her comfort zone, etc. All of these things add up to make the experience not as incredible as it could be. Our girl desperately needs a vocal coach or stage coach - could you imagine 2019 Lana doing this? (it's the Olympia performance of Burning Desire!) Or indeed this?! (Heart Shaped Box) If Lana did something like her Heart Shaped Box performance now I honestly believe it would go viral tbh. She seems comfortable on stage these days, but she still lacks the confidence to really go for it with her vocals, especially without heavy backing track. I mean, like people have said, there's NO excuse for a backing track in songs like Bartender. Maybe for a couple of harmonies here and there, but that's at an absolute maximum.

Then there's obviously the setlist issue which we've all ranted about time and time again, but it's even more offensive now that she's embarked on the NFR tour with barely any NFR songs. I mean, just thinking about it now:

• The Greatest is one of her most acclaimed songs to date, it would be incredible in a live setting and it's fairly upbeat, so not having on the setlist is unbelievable.
  • Love Song isn't a song I particularly like but I know a lot of people do and it's VERY relaxed vocally, so it's not difficult to sing; she doesn't even have to do the full thing since the song is quite meandering and slow, but she could at least do the first verse and chorus and a short outro, no? That takes up under 2 minutes of set time and those who love that song will be happy. 
  • She could rotate Fuck It, I Love You and The Next Best American Record on different dates, switching them out or asking the audience which one they'd rather hear - Lana's audience interaction is really endearing and usually a highlight of her shows. Or hey, wild thought but maybe she could just do them both since it is the NFR tour  :toofunny:
  • Cinnamon Girl is a fan fave and that long-ass outro would give her a chance to vape, have a drink, recoup some breath, have a lil rest, etc.

I could go on but I won't  :crossed:

Certain songs will always be tour staples. I think it's fair and understandable that she plays Born To Die, Blue Jeans and Video Games at every show. Those were her breakthrough tracks and I'm sure for a lot of fans they have a lot of nostalgic appeal, especially more casual fans. Plus Video Games is always a live highlight, her voice is consistently gorgeous with that one. I even, to a degree, understand Summertime Sadness and as much as I'm sick of it I'm okay with it staying on the setlist permanently - that was a big song for her and it's a little more upbeat and gives the casual audience a chance for a singalong. National Anthem has GOT TO GO. It doesn't sound good live anymore, it's not her biggest from Born To Die and frankly if people wanted to see that song live they should've gone to see her when she toured BTD/Paradise  :crossed:

On the flipside, there are certain songs that aren't tour staples that I feel should be.

• West Coast should always be on a Lana setlist, imo - it's the lead single from another massive album of hers, it's upbeat and danceable, it sounds SO good live and I don't think it's too difficult for Lana to sing.
  • I'd love if Salvatore became a song you expected at almost every show. I know it's a random deep cut, but it would be so amazing live if done properly with the full band - those Western/Spanish guitars, a big bombastic chorus, an incredible bridge that's more paired back but then leads up to a HUGE and explosive final chorus, and Lana's vocals always sound gorgeous when she's singing this song. It would also assure that Honeymoon got at least one song on every setlist, cause we all know it deserves a moment to shine but it's so often neglected.
  • I sorta feel like either Ride or Ultraviolence should be on every setlist, but it would be a case of one or the other - if she plays Ride then no Ultraviolence, and vice versa. I can't really justify this one *13 Beaches voice* it's just the way I feeeeeeeeellllll  :defeated:
  • This is a delusional dream of mine and I know it sounds completely random but I'd LOVE if Burning Desire was a tour staple for Lana. Of course it will never happen, but I would LIVE!! Even though it's just a forgotten bonus track and tbh the studio version isn't even that great, the live version of the song is INCREDIBLE, it's much more rock-inspired and heavy and I think it would be a great song to have near the start of setlists; it's short so it doesn't rob another song of a spot, but it's a song that could really get the audience pumped. I know Lana's shows aren't about dancing about and bopping out but a change of pace is always nice and every great live show needs a little excitement. I love the way the audience starts clapping at the bridge when she performed this song in Olympia  :flutter:

Finally, Lana really needs to retire that stale old medley. It was cute at first, but it's gotten very old very quickly. I do like the idea of having a medley though - maybe she could do one for her more trap-inspired electronic tracks, like a Freak / Art Deco / In My Feelings medley leading up to The Blackest Day or High By The Beach? That would fit perfectly at the end of Cinnamon Girl. Or how about a more rock-ish medley, like Body Electric / Money Power Glory (rock version with added guitar) / Gods and Monsters leading up to California?

idk I have a lot of thoughts regarding this. Lana will always do what she wants and that's fine but in an ideal world I'm sure we'd all LOVE for her to have more power in her live shows.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

i started boycotting her live shows after i saw her at the HOUSE OF BLUES in Anaheim. I thought it was cute that she added MTWBT but she's become to stagnant and her vocals live have declined. she just doesn't give the same energy as she use to.i miss 2011 live Lana!

if you like my face just thank my surgeon | your friendly local trans - catch me modeling for: https://dragunbeauty.com/

I feel like Lana is just a bit too comfortable right now and has fallen into a plateau of sorts and her team isn't encouraging her to take risks. Even during LATTM the critiques about the setlist and the dancers were everywhere amongst fans, there's no way her team hasn't seen that at all. I get she's comfortable with the familiarity of this setlist and of having her friends dancing on stage with her but its to the detriment of her performances. I wish her managers would share this feedback with her and push her out of her comfort zone

I’ve been thinking a little bit and I think that my problem isn’t that the BTD songs (BTD, Video games, Blue Jeans, and occasionally Summertime Sadness) are always there because they are her breakthrough songs. There are still fans who haven’t had the chance to hear them live yet and I’m sure they’d love to hear them too, and Lana isn’t the only one to keep old hits in her set lists (my brother, for example, is kinda sick of Elevation on U2’s tours but I love it and it makes the whole arena jump so I don’t mind). They kind of have to be there. I think the problem now though is that her shows are quite short - if she sang for longer, there would be no problem to add newer songs or songs she rarely sings live and still keep the classic BTD tracks. Like we’ve mentioned, you expect something more and longer shows when the ticket prices go up too (especially if the stages still look somewhat similar and the set lists too).
And maybe it is time to quit coming down to the crowd, like a music reporter from a newspaper here suggested earlier this year. It’s cute, it’s VERY generous of her to come down every show but she’s kinda becoming quite big now and may not have to flirt with the crowd like that. (Aaand she sometimes goes down to the same people anyway - I had no hopes that she’d stop by me, which she didn’t, so I wasn’t disappointed, but I know other fans have been).

Anyway, I completely agree with @@daphnedinkley above.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I have to agree @@Clampigirl - her shows are too short. I went to a lot of concerts in the last 12 years and I would say an average show should be around 90-100 minutes. Everything above is a nice suprise. I have NEVER seen a show as short as Lanas and now reading that her latest show at Jones Beach was around 75 minutes - that's a bummer. Especially for that amount of money I just expect some value regarding stage time. I can't imagine that she is too tired after an hour of (not) singing. If it's mentally too much for her than she should maybe stick to the festival shows instead of headlining tours.

I fawned over Lana's performances in 2011-2012 on YouTube, and I was always dying to see her live. She finally came here at the beginning of last year and I skipped coming. Tickets were expensive, there were mixed reviews, and people said she only performed for like an hour and a half. Plus, it was a big show, and I hate big concerts. 2012-2014 me would've died at the fact that I skipped seeing her live, but this thread only reinforces that I made a good decision. I also was accounting for the fact that I'd probably enjoy her music more listening to it on my own in my preferred settings than waiting in line at a concert, trying to get as close as possible, dealing with annoying teen girls and gays (sorry, not sorry), spending a bunch of money and only to see her perform for an hour or two that might not even be that good of a performance.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore