necessary sacrifice

Joni Mitchell

I’ve been anticipating that one, but I’m nervous because I don’t want to run out of her more beloved albums yet :eek:

That's fair. Honestly though I don't think Joni has any bad albums, just a lot that cater to different tastes. Like a lot of people I know cite Mingus as her weakest body of work but I strongly disagree. Basically what I mean is don't put too much emphasis on the fan favourite albums because Joni is so eclectic and everyone enjoys different aspects of music~

Omg the taste of all of you. Joni Mitchell is tucking amazing. Blue through Hejira is just all perfection 100%. Hejira might be my favorite. Amelia is devastating.

Dive right into the hissing of summer lawns.

The only thing I dislike about Hejira is how confusing the album art is to look at   :deadbanana: why does she look so wide it gets more uncomfortable the longer I look at it. Otherwise a perfect album  :creep:

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

The only thing I dislike about Hejira is how confusing the album art is to look at   :deadbanana: why does she look so wide it gets more uncomfortable the longer I look at it. Otherwise a perfect album  :creep:

I’m not certain I’ve ever noticed. Lol. I’ll have to look. More random Joni feelings as this is the first I’ve ever posted in this thread: peoples parties into the same situation is fucking perfect. Down to You is in my top 10 songs ever. Have we all seen the recent Joni Birthday concert? Rufus singing blue is amazing. Brandi singing Down to You is great. Diana Kralls Amelia is quirky and beautiful.

Anyways, I love Joni and finding Joni/Lana fans is amazing.

I’ve been anticipating that one, but I’m nervous because I don’t want to run out of her more beloved albums yet :eek:

If it makes it easier, Summer Lawns wasn’t considered beloved my the gp, so it’s definitely a treat. But if you don’t wanna run out of the best stuff so soon, take a detour into her 80s albums for a bit then take a step back to finish her best ones.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

I’m not certain I’ve ever noticed. Lol. I’ll have to look. More random Joni feelings as this is the first I’ve ever posted in this thread: peoples parties into the same situation is fucking perfect. Down to You is in my top 10 songs ever. Have we all seen the recent Joni Birthday concert? Rufus singing blue is amazing. Brandi singing Down to You is great. Diana Kralls Amelia is quirky and beautiful.

Anyways, I love Joni and finding Joni/Lana fans is amazing.

People’s Parties to The Same Situation is def one of my favourite transitions of all time. The Boho Dance to Harry’s House is another one of my favourites. In general Joni’s For The Roses, Court and Spark, and Hissing of Summer Lawns are some of the best albums for songs transitioning into each other.

And I still need to see the birthday concert. At the time I was kind of disappointed there weren’t really experimental musicians doing tributes because Joni would’ve loved that but I still need to watch it eventually.

Omg did you just check out Summer Lawns????

Yessir!

Some of the songs are still growing on me, but I really like these ones: In France They Kiss on Main Street, Edith and the Kingpin, Shades of Scarlett Conquering, The Hissing of Summer Lawns, and Harry’s House/Centerpiece.

I think this album is less suited to my personal taste but I can still appreciate it for the most part. I’m gonna try to take my time to listen to it for a month or so before I move on to another album.

If you had to make an "Essential Joni" playlist of say 12-15 songs, what would you add?

and don't tell me it already exists and is called Hits  :crossed:  I'm not necessarily interested in commercial success, but what you think are the songs that best exemplify her

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

If you had to make an "Essential Joni" playlist of say 12-15 songs, what would you add?

and don't tell me it already exists and is called Hits :crossed: I'm not necessarily interested in commercial success, but what you think are the songs that best exemplify her

This might be biased and more based on what I like best but there’s also plenty of obvious ones (no Big Yellow Taxi, sorry too obvious)

-I Had a King

-Both Sides Now

-The Song About the Midway

-Rainy Day House

-Woodstock

-A Case of You

-Barangrill

-Blonde in the Bleachers

-Trouble Child

-Down to You

-Harry’s House/Centerpiece

-Don’t Interrupt the Sorrow

-Furry Sings the Blues

-Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter

-Jericho

-The Wolf That Lives in Lindsey

-Solid Love

I tried to pick 1 (some 2) songs from her first 11 albums. I tried to avoid lots of the obvious ones but some like Both Sides Now and A Case of You are classics for a reason. It was very hard keeping the list short so I have more suggestions if you need them

If anyone’s interested in Bob Dylan, his Rolling Thunder Revue is now on Netflix. I thought I’d post about it in here because there’s some footage of Joni jamming with everyone and teaching Bob to play her new song at the time (Coyote) and a bit of her talking about Ginsberg and stuff. I was surprised to see quite a few clips of her since she wasn’t on the tour very long. She joined that tour spontaneously just after releasing Summer Lawns (like the same month). She wrote the Hejira album on that tour. But in general any Lana fans would probably enjoy it because it is Bob Dylan and a group of travelling musicians and poets.

Nobody told me that Wild Things Run Fast is such a good album!!! I think I will always prefer her older music, but I am so pleasantly surprised by some of her newer work :heart: :dance:

Yes, it’s definitely her best 80s album! I’m glad you liked it! I’m kinda surprised you liked Wild Things so much more than Summer Lawns though because I always saw them as like her most similar sonically, like both kinda jazz rock. But yeah her later albums are often called “bad” because they’re so different from her early stuff, but they’re really not bad at all.

and don't tell me it already exists and is called Hits  :crossed:  I'm not necessarily interested in commercial success, but what you think are the songs that best exemplify her

this is hard because it feels like there are so many different Jonis. going on memory right now.

Song for Sharon

-one of her best in terms of telling a whole vivid story in a song

Help Me

-one of my favorite pop songs of Joni, but still feels very Joni--also crazy vocal range

Refuge of the Roads 

-a song about independence and taking your own path--very Joni

If

-rewriting Rudyard Kipling because she didn't agree with/like the writing feels like a very Joni thing to do

Paprika Plains 

-16 minute complex song that really shows her musicianship 

The Last Time I Saw Richard

-one of my favorite songs of hers 

The Wolf That Lives in Lindsey 

-strange, experimental. 

People's Parties

-introspective, social observations, and the crazy vocal harmonies. 

Woodstock 

-capturing a generational moment and speaking on bigger themes while also keeping it more pop

Blue

-can't have this list without this song

A Case of You

-same reason as Blue

The Beat of Black Wings

-storytelling about the cost of war 

Twisted

-technically she's singing a cover, but I like the way she sings it. Her humor is underestimated I think. 

No one asked but here’s my ranking of the songs from Court and Spark lol. This was way more difficult than I expected because I love most of the songs except maybe Twisted, but I do still appreciate her sense of humor in that one. Looking at this list I’m still not satisfied :crai:

Free Man in Paris

Help Me

Car on a Hill

Trouble Child

Raised on Robbery

The Same Situation

People’s Parties

Court and Spark

Down to You

Just Like This Train

Twisted

No one asked but here’s my ranking of the songs from Court and Spark lol. This was way more difficult than I expected because I love most of the songs except maybe Twisted, but I do still appreciate her sense of humor in that one. Looking at this list I’m still not satisfied :crai:

Free Man in Paris

Help Me

Car on a Hill

Trouble Child

Raised on Robbery

The Same Situation

People’s Parties

Court and Spark

Down to You

Just Like This Train

Twisted

I love this! We should do song rankings for all her albums to get to know each other better.

Anyway this would be mine:

Trouble Child

Just Like This Train

Court and Spark

The Same Situation

Raised on Robbery

Down to You

Help Me

Free Man in Paris

People’s Parties

Car on a Hill

Twisted

My ranking for Summer Lawns:

In France They Kiss on Main Street

Shades of Scarlett Conquering

Harry’s House/Centerpiece

The Hissing of Summer Lawns

Edith and the Kingpin

The Boho Dance

Don’t Interrupt the Sorrow

Sweet Bird

Shadows and Light/The Jungle Line (tied)

I’m not super familiar with a few of these songs because I haven’t listened to this album as much as some of her others, but the top 3 songs on my list are definitely favorites of mine for her entire discography.

I love the lyrics on this album especially.