Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

Ultraviolence Turns Half a Decade

I think what is most important during this appreciation thread is that we ALL should appreciate the opulent masterpiece that is  :squidward: Money Power Glory. :squidward:

It's such a fun song to sing, you start low and then suddenly you go high for the chorus! :party:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

West Coast :crai: Black Beauty  :crai: Shades of Cool  :crai:

tenor.gif?itemid=5666631

Can't believe I live in the same state this was produced in :hooker: Nashville is sacred ground simply for this.

giphy.gif

I can't believe there's something left in my chest anymore 

Monumental album. The shift from her previous full-length album Born To Die to this is really pretty huge. So many memories attached to this album. I remember so much excitement around the creation of this album, from the title announcement, to the tweeted pic with dan auerbach, the west coast video selfie, listening to the single premiering on the radio, first seeing the album cover on her tumblr, ME PROPHECISING her collaboration with Neil Krug!!!! My mind. Shades of Cool premiering when I was in Dubai and not having any data on my phone. Everyone discrediting the tracklist which first appeared on Amazon France as fake because the titles seemed too self-parodied but my believing it. Theorising that Brooklyn Baby was True Love on The Side. That florida Kilos was a remake of Kill Kill ( :toofunny: ) Thinking that the billboard in Brooklyn was a fake fan edit from a Dreamland photo!!! Listening to the album first time with nag champa burning and Cruel World literally transcending me. Waiting the entirety of the song to hear the line "It's a cruel, cruel world" and being so confused when it ended and she didn't sing it. Hearing the final version of Black Beauty.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Literally her best era.

I remember waiting in 4 in the morning just to watch the West Coast music video premiere. I remember buying the album on iTunes just so I can fully support her. This was the first album I ever bought in a record store and I still have it today in my room. The visuals, photoshoots, and the songs are a literal masterpiece. I remember crying so hard because I don't have the money to buy the Ultraviolence Box Set, it was so pretty that it makes the Honeymoon box set so cheap and simple. I remember obsessing over the Brooklyn Baby snippet and cried when it was released. This was my peak as a Lana stan and it will always be my favorite stan moments of all time. Whew, it felt like yesterday.

Florida Kilos, Brooklyn Baby, Shades of Cool, West Coast, Guns and Roses (SO UNDERRATED), Cruel World, Ultraviolence, and Sad Girl are my favorites.

yyxy | youth youth by young | yyxy

The album that turned me from a casual listener into a stan. I had it saved up on my phone and hadn't got around to listening to it yet, and then one night I was at my crush's sleepover and she fell asleep next / on top of me and west coast came on shuffle. Felt like I was floating. When I'd walk home from school that summer I'd time the music I was listening to so the last song was always shades of cool, and the pavement was so hot as I walked and the soles of my shoes were so thin that I could feel my feet burning but I'd concentrate on the song instead. Not to be dramatic or anything but the next year of my life was the worst (so far), and when I couldn't stop crying I'd put on Brooklyn Baby and let it calm me down. I think the album will always feel like a form of escapism for me because everything is so exaggerated, a kind of heightened form of each emotion, that I can see myself in the core of it but let the rest of it just kind of envelope me into pretending I'm someone else who's a lot more sure of herself. 

Justice for Brooklyn Baby and Florida Kilos. Both deserve vids.

locals only

i remember when this came out me and my friend had been so excited cos we were huge fans since BTD, we listened to it together, heard the opening lyrics to cruel world and cried (i know total cheeseballs). so many memories attached to this record tho, became my solace through so much shit and still is 

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

I /ђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђђшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшшччччччччччччччћћћћћћћћћћћћжжжжжжжжжжжжжжжж--------------------њњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњњљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљљѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕѕџџџџџџџџџццццццццццццццц.

Oh the memories...

I remember BTD was sorta ruined for me. One of my school bullies was obsessed with BTD and paradise and used to sing “my pussy tastes like Pepsi cola” all day everyday in her terrible voice so I started to kind of dislike LDR because of her. I liked the sound of the album and regularly listened to it but it was tinged with bitter memories of being bullied in school. An online friend of mine convinced me to listen to Ultraviolence when it came out and I quickly became charmed with Lana’s soft and seductive voice (not that I wanted to admit that to myself) and the album helped me see her past work in a new light as well.

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

Oh the memories...

I remember BTD was sorta ruined for me. One of my school bullies was obsessed with BTD and paradise and used to sing “my pussy tastes like Pepsi cola” all day everyday in her terrible voice so I started to kind of dislike LDR because of her. I liked the sound of the album and regularly listened to it but it was tinged with bitter memories of being bullied in school. An online friend of mine convinced me to listen to Ultraviolence when it came out and I quickly became charmed with Lana’s soft and seductive voice (not that I wanted to admit that to myself) and the album helped me see her past work in a new light as well.

Wtf? :toofunny: Sorry about the bully, I hope you don't have to see her anymore?

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been about 5 years since I started stanning her. It’s very rare for me to fall in love with an artist the same way I did with her. There’s only been 2 other artist that have caught my attention the way she did and that’s Bone Thugs-N-Harmony back in 2004 and Nicki Minaj back in 2010. I can’t believe 2014 was basically 5 years ago. Time sure does fly. I will never forget the first day I listened to her and was completely hypnotized by everything about her. West Coast stayed on repeat for months as well as the rest of the album. There wasn’t a soul in this world that could stop me from listening to her every single day. This album changed my whole world and taste in music. Whewww the memories I have. I’m so happy I discovered Lana with Ultraviolence.

This album has some of her most intense and emotionally honest moments in her discog:

Old Money bridge-- "and if you call..."

"you're fucking crazyYyYyYy"

Shades of Cool bridge

pretty when you CRYyYyYyy

Money Power Glory chorus

Is This Happiness lyrics

song rankings for her most iconic and beautiful body of work

Black Beauty

Cruel World

West Coast

Old Money

Brooklyn Baby