Sign in to follow this  
Arzi

Lana Del Rey for Vanity Fair

It’s been a year and a half since the singer Lana Del Rey hatched fully formed from the pop incubator, like a “gangsta Nancy Sinatra,” as she once put it. Her music evokes the ghostlier, echo-drenched aspects of longing and heartbreak; stylistically, her presentation of retro-noirimagery defies absolute interpretation. Even before the January 2012 launch of her major-label debut album, Born to Die—being re-released this month with eight new songs as “The Paradise Edition” and including the Rick Rubin–produced single “Ride”—critics set about their analysis of her persona. “Part true, part false,” came the judgment, but no mere pre-packaged pop confection. “I’ve been doing what I do for a long time,” Del Rey, née Lizzy Grant, says. “I’ve had a life. I don’t need to create a person to live through.” Before Lana Del Rey, the New York City–born, Lake Placid–raised Grant sought a way to tell her story. “I wanted to be a writer, to be involved, but I didn’t know how,” she says. “I was looking for answers.” Many of her early supporters in New York were in fashion, and Lizzy morphed into Lana. “Style was never my forte,” she says, but she’s having an impact. At some recent concerts the stage was dressed as a tropical forest—“the Garden of Eden twisted into the Garden of Evil,” she calls it—and fans came wearing the rhinestone tiaras and floral garlands of the decorative Del Rey look. “It wasn’t something I set out to create,” she says. “Personally, I keep things pretty simple. I love making music. The rest I don’t really think about.”

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.