YUNGATA

The 2012 U.S election thread

"I know those of you watching this right now are probably gonna hate because you probably voted for Obama...and you probably don't have a job."

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irjuzmae1FU

"I know those of you watching this right now are probably gonna hate because you probably voted for Obama...and you probably don't have a job."

Why do these kind of people exist. :facepalm:

14417469274.gif

She must be trolling, right? First reason she voted for Romney is that 'he's so gorgeous!!' and that America didn't have a hot president since Kennedy :toofloppy: "and we all know how that ended" I can't take her seriously and that green plane thing on her hand is not helping :lmao: .

Am I just being overly-optimistic about humanity

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

Yeah I'm pretty sure he is, but religion is less important nowadays. If this was the 60's...that would've been a critical point

Yeah, but if you're looking to vote for a Christian, you aren't going to vote for a Mormon, if you, yourself, are a "true Christian."

Mormonism is not Christian, nor does it follow the doctrines of Christianity. Christianity teaches that there is only one eternal God, that sins can be forgiven and that Jesus rose from the dead, physically. Mormonism denies all of that by teaching that God is a physical being, and that Jesus' sacrifice on the cross isn't enough to forgive sins.

A failed attempt at making this relevant to LB: Mormonism is basically the Indian culture to Lana's Christianity.

tumblr_nbdq8rb2Ps1qz85zpo1_400.png

HEY OBAMA HEY! HEY OBAMA HEY! HE KNOWS WHAT U.S. WANTS HE AIN'T GONNA PLAY!

Obama's skiiiin so golden brown!

Be young, be dope, be proud

Like an American!

My pro-Obama song tbh :teehee:

It was a good show, America. And I'm glad Obama won, he seems to have a better understanding of today's complex world.

When I watched Obama rise four years ago I started to wonder about archetypal forces behind these two social orientations known as "conservatism" and "liberalism" (I will be using these two words in what I see as their contemporary American sense, corresponding to the Republican and Democratic parties, respectively). In the heated election campaigns the conflict/contrast between the two is emphasized but I think they are manifestations of complementary aspects of human nature, both having their weak spots and being able to offer valuable perspectives and enrich each other.

So this is what I came up with:

CONSERVATISM ---------- LIBERALISM

Differentiation ------------- Unification

Individualism -------------- Collectivism

Justice ----------------------- Mercy

Conservatives have a keen sense of differences, uphold them, emphasize them and keep them in structures. Liberals look for similarities and commonalities, try to reconcile, downplay or remove differences and relax structures.

Conservatives emphasize individual differences, freedom and responsibility. Liberals emphasize togetherness, mutual help and care.

Conservatives focus on rules and consequences of one's actions and uphold them even if they are painful; this is justice. Liberals focus on freedom from rules and consequences and try to alleviate pain; this is mercy.

Here are some specific areas:

Economic policy: Conservatives prefer economic individualism - free market and little redistribution of wealth; people get what they earn. Liberals prefer a more collectivistic economy, with larger redistribution of wealth and measures to help the needy and disadvantaged. The conservative direction stimulates individual initiative but can lead to reckless competition and suffering of the weaker people. The liberal direction alleviates the suffering of the weak and, if possible, helps them return to economic activity, but may also suppress individual initiative of many.

Abortion, death penalty, euthanasia: Conservatives feel strongly about the unborn baby's personhood and innocence and so they reject abortion as murder. The criminal on death row is a human being too, however he is guilty and therefore deserves the punishment. Liberals' preference for mercy will lead them to minimize suffering: abortion is permissible because the unborn baby's undeveloped consciousness limits its ability to suffer, at least in earlier stages of pregnancy, and anaesthetics can be used to remove possible pain to the baby during the procedure. In the liberal view, this can be better than having the baby suffering later when it is born unwanted or having the parents, particularly the woman, suffering as a result of pregnancy and having a child they don't want or can't take care of. Death penalty is less supported by liberals because of the criminal's capacity of suffering before or during the execution. On the other hand, liberals are more willing to support euthanasia ("mercy killing") if the patient wants it in order to end their suffering. For conservatives euthanasia undermines the value of the individual and the rule that an innocent person should not be killed.

Homosexual rights: Conservatives defend the differences between a man and a woman, heterosexual union and existing family structure. Liberals are less likely to stick to these differences and structures. Their support for homosexual unions is also influenced by the fact that change of sexual orientation is difficult, if not impossible, and discrimination against homosexual people causes them much suffering.

Illegal immigration: Conservatives are less likely to forgive law-breakers and are concerned about the impact that illegal immigration may have on their personal wealth, employment and on existing ideological structures. Liberals are more likely to emphasize the humanness of the illegal immigrants and include them in society.

Foreign policy: Conservatives tend to be more hawkish (militant and uncompromising) to the enemies and in defense of the national interest, which may lead to arrogance. Liberals are more dovish (conciliatory and empathetic), which may lead to appeasement.

Environment: Conservatives are more likely to see the natural world as separate from and inferior to man and available for man to use freely in order to secure his needs and interests. Liberals feel not only greater connection between people but also between people and nature, and strive for a better protection of nature.

Religion: Conservatives prefer rule-based religions while liberals loose spirituality. Conservatives tend to interpret religious scriptures in a more literal way, preferring clear definitions and structure and noting the differences from other religions. Liberals' interpretation of scriptures is more metaphorical and ambiguous and less dogmatic, giving them more flexibility in applying them in their life and reconciling them with people of different religions.

Summarizing with the following parallels:

CONSERVATISM ---------- LIBERALISM

Masculinity ------------------ Femininity

Ego ----------------------------- Soul

Congrats if you made it to the end. :P

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun