Sign in to follow this  
Elle

Interview with Kevin Manno of 104.3 MYfm [Video] - August 28th, 2019

After her interview with Alt 98.7, Lana stopped by at 104.3 MYfm to do another video interview.

In this interview, she discusses Norman Fucking Rockwell, working with Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus for Charlie's Angels, James Franco's book about her, & more.

Watch here:

Full Transcription:

Kevin: What's going on guys, it's Kevin Manno here at MyFM, and what a treat this is! Lana Del Rey's with us!

Lana: Hello, hello!

K: This is awesome! Congrats on the new album, which is out while we tape this. It's like two days.

L: Yes!

K: Woo!

L: I know, it's really coming up. Labor Day.

K: Yeah. There's a lot to talk about here. I want to talk about the album, working with Jack Antonoff, everything, super fans… I'm sure you get mobbed every day. You know, we just had one in the building that stopped in right before the interview.

L:(laughs) Yes, she gave me a little lifethere. Yeah, yeah.

K: You have, your fans are just rabid. They really are. They, I mean, they're crazy about you. Like, do you…

L: I have some dedicated fans.

K: Like a whole reddit subreddit dedicated to you and stuff.

L:Really…

K: Do you go read that stuff ever?

L: Are you like on reddit?

K: I like to look at reddit. I'm not like an active, I'm a lurker as they say, just for content.

L:I'm a lurker. I would be more of like an Instagram lurker. I've never really been on reddit.

K: Okay.

L: But God only effing knows what they.

K: They say good stuff!

L: Okay!

K: They really do. I know the Internet's a dangerous place. Do you try to stay away from it, or do you have your phone addiction like we all do?

L: I have my phone on me most of the time. Yeah. I mean I don't like go… I don't think I remember the last time I googled myself.

K: Okay. That's good. That's healthy.

L: But I'm online, like Twitter, whatever.

K: Read replies and stuff on Twitter?

L: Uh, yeah.

K: It can be dangerous. Not for you, but for everyone. I mean, it’s such a…

L: No, no. Every now and then you catch a comment that's like… I'm gonna go jump off a bridge right.

K: Do you suffer from the thing that we all do where you see a thousand positive, and then the one negative is the one that sticks with you?

L: Oh, if I read something really bad it'll probably stick with me, yeah.

K: Yeah

L: I mean, but I do think some of the ways people put things is like a little bit funny. So, I'm, I have, I think some things are a little humorous, yeah.

K: Do you have any dummy accounts anywhere that you're, you know, on Instagram as somebody else?

L: Yeah, I have one trap account.

K: Do you? Is that what you call it, a trap account?

L: Yeah!

K: What does that mean?

L: It's what everyone calls it.

K: I didn’t, this term is new to me!

L: Oh yeah, no, it's like when you, it's like how you look at ex-boyfriends and stuff and what they're doing and like frenemies.

K: Okay. Gotcha. I don't have this trap account.

L: God, help me.

K: Awh, I'm sorry. So, the new album, I'm going to call it Norman Effing Rockwell.

L: Yes.

K: Is that what people are calling it?

L: Mmhmm!

K: Or it depends on the medium I guess?

L: Yeah.

K: Or does anybody call it NFR?

L: Mm.. not yet.

K: Or just Norman Rockwell? 

L: Uh.. yeah!

L: Yeah. a little bit of all of them

K: Well what I've heard, I dig.

L: Thank you!

K: And I dig the title.

L: Thank you.

K: And I'm glad that you work with Jack Antonoff.

L: Me too.

K: He's a friend of ours around here.

L: Yeah?

K: And this is the first time, this album, was the first time the two of you got together?

L: Mmhmm!

K: Was that your decision? I mean, you were like I have to work with this guy?

L: No, he was calling me.

L:And, um, you know I hadn't… well funny enough actually, Jack and I met nine years ago in an elevator on our way in and out of Emile Haynie’s little studio in New York, but I guess he was with ‘fun.’, but we didn't really say anything. We just like, said hi.

K: He was with the band at the time, you’re saying?

L:And we just waved at each other in and out of the elevator, but I hadn't seen him until maybe a year and a half ago when I met him.

K: Yeah.

L: Um, and I met him at a party and he was like, ‘I know you have a day off tomorrow. If you just come down to my home studio, I feel like we would really cook up something super cool’, and I told him that I wasn't writing because it was one of the few times that I just wasn't doing anything.

K: Do you take breaks? Do you take breaks from writing?

L: Um, I do when I'm touring just because I get pretty tired, but um, like I hadn't even been down there for an hour and I was like, wow this guy is really…

K: Really, you guys just dove right in?

L:Yeah, well he's really cordially… Like ,this stuff he plays just by ear and that he freestyles on. Like I think I said this once before, but the first thing he played for me, which was just five chords, I wasn't even kidding and I said, ‘Is that for me? Can I have that?’ And he was like, ‘I wrote that for you.’ It was just a progression, but it's been a long time since someone's given me something rather than me starting it off first, ‘cause usually I'll bring like my phone and my journal and all that. 

K: Yeah. So doing the whole album, was it like that? Was it like, was he bringing stuff to the table too?

L: So, like for that that song which ended up being ‘Love Song’ I would say like he started it cordially, and then I'll find like a counter melody. But first song like ‘hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have’ I had just journaled that, and I brought it to him, sang it live and acoustic, not acoustic, but acapella, and then he played, he accompanied me. He played with me. So it was 50/50.

K: Gotcha. A collaborative effort!

K: That's really cool! I would think, I'm not a record producer, but working with all of these different people like he does, it takes a special person to really kind of separate, you know, you have a much different style than Taylor Swift!

L: Beyond special.

K: You know, to go back and forth like that is..

L: Yeah, beyond special. It's a real talent.

K: Sure.

L: And I think it's also speaks to like a real compassion because he's not rigid like some producers, which will just be like, ‘No. That sucks’, and I hear that all the time. So, he's just very much anything goes and casual, which is good because, yeah, that's the best way to be. Like you shouldn't, I mean, some people do good trying to like, write a hit, but all of my songs that were bigger, they were slower first and almost, like, acoustic first.

K: Gotcha. Did you question putting the sublime cover on the album or did you know you were going to the whole time? It’s great by the way.

K: The whole album, again like I said, what I've heard is great.

L: Thank you. I love the Sublime cover. I did that when by the time the album was done, just because my label was producing ‘The Life Story of Sublime’, so they asked me to do it, and I think like the day after it was finished I called John who runs the label and I was like, ‘It would go so good next to ‘Venice Bitch’. I don’t know if you have to bleep that out.

K: Oh cool. Yeah, it’s fine, you can say it.

L: Yeah, so I'm like ‘can we make that track 3?’ And yeah, it just worked out.

K: That’s awesome. And then I want to ask you about the cover art. Is his name Duke? Is that his name?

L:Duke Nicholson.

K: Duke Nicholson. That's Jack Nicholson's grandson.

K: Are you guys friends?

L: Yeah, we're a very good friends.

K: I've read online that that's him, but I didn't really see a reason or how that came to be.

L: He's my younger sister's best friend.

K: Okay

L: Well, him and Wild Mud Barker. So yeah, we're with Duke a lot, and he's just such a cutie.

K: Sure.

L: The reason why I loved him is because, like, he's younger, he’s super, like, safe, cool, funny personality who you can just like, he's like a little, he's like a brother kind of. So, he was someone I just knew I would feel comfortable on the boat with.

K; Yeah, but you knew you wanted like a male counterpart for this photo session.

L: Yeah, I did. Well actually, there there's an alternate cover, which was my first cover, and we, like, gave that to Urban Outfitters just for like an exclusive, but that was actually a photo of me and some of my best friends, Emma Tillman, she's married to Father John Misty, and Ash Rodriguez and Alex Kaye who dance with me. So, we're all a little bit of an ‘om’ meditative pose, kind of in the style of Ladies of the Canyon, so I liked that I had other people with me on each cover, and I felt like, ‘cause I love, like, seeing my own growth, and like everyone was always making fun of me, like ‘you're always in front of a car on all seven million of your records!’ I was like, ‘watch me get on a boat.’

K: By the way, six in nine years, or whatever. That is impressive.

L: It’s cool.

K: I mean you’re turning out a lot of music.

L: Yeah, I write a lot.

K: Yeah, I can tell. But you did, you wanted to be with somebody, not just you in front of a car again.

K: Do you ever struggle with confidence? I just listened to an interview yesterday about confidence, and you mentioned you wanted to be with somebody. I would think being up on stage by yourself in front of that many people, everything about it is so vulnerable. Has that ever been an issue for you?

L: Of course.

K: Really?

L: Yeah! I mean, I meet people who are a thousand percent confident, but they're the rarer kind.

K: Yeah, yeah. It seems like that even in this, doing what I do, I meet a lot of people that you would think are, you know, these huge stars and stuff, but everybody struggles with it in their own way.

L: Like Ariana, she's like very confident.

K: Yeah.

L: You know? And I think choreography can also help with that as well. Like, if you know where you are at each beat in the song, like, you're almost running it like a play. But for me, I have so many ballads and they're so long, so it's a lot of time to just be in that white light and just be emoting. But the girls that I work with, Ash and Alex, like we do have a lot of fun stuff that we do on stage now.

K: Cool.

L: So it's, that's made it like more dynamic for me, ‘cause like you have to feel like it's interesting too because you're playing for two hours every night like all year.

K: Totally. So, does your mind ever wander when you're up there?

L: All the time!

K: Do you think about, you know, what you have to get at the store or whatever?

L:I think about groceries, I think about if I’ve left the house clean, or… and then, but then sometimes I'm really worried about hitting that highest note.

K: Like if it's coming up, you see it coming and you're thinking? Like you’re…

L: I'm always a few steps ahead of myself if I'm like, in like a high C or something.

K: You probably have to be to make sure the breath is right and everything.

L: You should, you should be. But then other times I'm like, like with a song like ‘Shades of Cool’ or something, which is just like a really blue, jazzy song, I'm just totally, especially if we're in an open-air theatre, like, I'm feeling it. I’m right there.

K: You mentioned Ariana a second ago. You still have a song coming out with her and Miley?

L: I do 

K: Is that coming like any day now?

K: I know this movie is on the way.

L: Yes. Any day now. Yeah. 

K: What's the movie again?

L: Charlie’s Angels.

K: It’s for the new Charlie’s Angels. That’s right. It escaped me for a second. What can you tell me about the song? ‘Cause everybody's clamoring to know. Are you a lockbox?

L: No. I mean, I probably should be. I don't know. The song’s really cute. It's really cool. When I first heard it, obviously I wasn't on it. It was just Ariana's parts, and they wanted me to write something, so I wrote like a… I kind of cut her verse into a halftime bridge, and just saying some stuff over her courses as well, and then Miley jumped on. So, it's just really very spicy. A spicy little track.

K: Did you watch the movie before you wrote your parts on this?

L: We only got to see three scenes.

K: Okay so just something to get the vibe.

L: Yeah, exactly. And then we shot a video ourselves, so that's pretty crazy also.

K: You did?

K: Cool. So, when is it coming out? Just any day?

L:I want to say two weeks.

K: Okay. What’s it called? Can you tell me that?

L:No!

K: You can’t tell me that?

L:I’m like, will I get slayed? I have no idea!

K: Another thing I was reading about earlier…

L:It might already be out, by the way. I'm so bad. I don't know.

K: I don’t think it’s out yet. Maybe by the time this video gets…

L: Not the song, I mean the title.

K: Oh, the title. I didn't see it anywhere. I was looking stuff up. Another thing I saw today when I was looking stuff up that I remembered from a few years ago and then I hadn't heard anything about it, James Franco was working on a book about you or something. You remember that?

L: Yes, I do.

K: Is this weird? Am I bringing up something weird?

L: Well… (sigh)

K: I thought you guys were tight.

L: Yeah, well, okay, so I thought it was cool that, like, you know, someone I really liked was writing a book about me, question mark, you know? But then I had read an excerpt of it.

K: Oh and it wasn’t as…

L: Well, I believe I want to say the title was like ‘Real and Imagined Conversations with Lana’

K: That's right.

L: So having read it, we hadn't really spoken all that much yet.

K: These were fake conversations.

L: Essentially, yeah. And so I wasn't thrilled with the presentation.

K: Gotcha.

L: It was definitely a projection.

L: So I had said to him, you know, maybe you should just write ‘Fake Conversations with Lana Del Rey.’

K: Sorry if I brought up something weird, but I was just so curious ‘cause I hadn’t heard anything about it in awhile.

L: No! I'm just, I'm thinking about how that conversation ended now on the phone, ‘cause I was like, I read, he had sent it to me and I was like, ‘Wait a minute. I don't think we talked about that’, and he was like, ‘Well, I think we did’, and I was like ‘I'm pretty sure we didn’t. Where’s the recording?’

K: (laughs) I remember this, James Franco.

L: Uh, yeah, but if it ever comes out, I mean, I will help people decipher what was really said.

K: Okay, okay.

L: It was just kind of like, interesting twist. I had thought that if it was going to be, I think at the time we were talking about like a more collaborative poetry book or something or a like book of short tales.

K: Yeah, and then he took it in different direction.

L: And then it was like a weird story about me being like a freak (laughs) So, yeah.

K: We'll probably never see it then. Let’s just maybe, that one's on James's shelf somewhere.

L: We shall see.

K: Okay, all right. Well Lana, thank you so much for being here! This honestly, this is awesome.

L: (laughs)

K: What? That I'm ending on that note? Is that what's weird?

L: Yes!

K: I'm sorry. Is there anything else you want to talk about? You wanna?

L: No, no, no, that’s stellar, that’s stellar.

K: Norman Effing Rockwell is out, it’ll probably be out now, I guess, when you see this video, I’m not sure.

L: Yes.

K: But congrats on the album. Thank you for being here.

K: Lana Del Rey on MyFM.

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Just added the full transcription I did to the OP for those who prefer to read x

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

K: Another thing I saw today when I was looking stuff up that I remembered from a few years ago and then I hadn't heard anything about it, James Franco was working on a book about you or something. You remember that?

L: Yeah, well, okay, so I thought it was cool that, like, you know, someone I really liked was writing a book about me, question mark, you know? But then I had read an excerpt of it.

L: Well, I believe I want to say the title was like ‘Real and Imagined Conversations with Lana’

L: So I had said to him, you know, maybe you should just write ‘Fake Conversations with Lana Del Rey.’

K: Sorry if I brought up something weird, but I was just so curious ‘cause I hadn’t heard anything about it in awhile.

L: No! I'm just, I'm thinking about how that conversation ended now on the phone, ‘cause I was like, I read, he had sent it to me and I was like, ‘Wait a minute. I don't think we talked about that’, and he was like, ‘Well, I think we did’, and I was like ‘I'm pretty sure we didn’t. Where’s the recording?’

L: Uh, yeah, but if it ever comes out, I mean, I will help people decipher what was really said.

L: It was just kind of like, interesting twist. I had thought that if it was going to be, I think at the time we were talking about like a more collaborative poetry book or something or a like book of short tales.

L: And then it was like a weird story about me being like a freak (laughs) So, yeah.

OMG! It feels SO good to finally know why that book was shelved. One of Lana's many mysteries gets solved. 

On the same note: I always felt like James was kinda weird with Lana. Anyone remember the photo of him dressed as her at the beach? 

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

trap account huh

miss notoriouswhitegirl x

- I’m glad to finally know what the original cover art was and glad that we still got it. I actually didn’t think it was the UO cover.

- I guess we kiiiind of got an explanation to why she isn’t hitting the high notes when singing live anymore... she thinks she can’t do it! Maybe a vocal coach would help her with that? :(

- Yikes, Franco. o___o

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Such a good interview. Cant believe she admitted to one of her fake accounts too. We‘re onto you lana :creepna:

She's probably among us already here or on twitter... the next album is gonna be about her experiences with crazy fans ;) 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

She's probably among us already here or on twitter... the next album is gonna be about her experiences with crazy fans ;)

I'm sure the NFR pre-release thread gave her plenty of inspiration. 

Also "one" fake account lol she has like 10

I'm sure the NFR pre-release thread gave her plenty of inspiration. 

Also "one" fake account lol she has like 10

Honestly, I think so too. Green and pink vinyls? Some kind of painting on the cover? Us hoping for surf elements, in songs and videos? Some hoping for Doin’ Time to be added to the tracklist? I get the feeling she’s been lurking more than usual on this site (and Lana, I’m still sorry for all the things I might’ve said before, I was just frustrated as heck when you wouldn’t tell us anything lol).

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

K: Another thing I saw today when I was looking stuff up that I remembered from a few years ago and then I hadn't heard anything about it, James Franco was working on a book about you or something. You remember that?

OMG! It feels SO good to finally know why that book was shelved. One of Lana's many mysteries gets solved. 

On the same note: I always felt like James was kinda weird with Lana. Anyone remember the photo of him dressed as her at the beach? 

Okay, I'm not gonna put this in the "Lies" thread but this is all so sketchy. You could tell from her body language that she didn't really want to talk about it.

"We hadn't really spoken all that much yet" but iirc the cover was like a bazillion selfies which is photographic evidence that they obviously had hung out quite a bit. Like, Lanz makes it sound like they hardly knew each other and he just came up with it all out of thin air. I don't think so.

Reading between the lines there was true stuff in there she didn't want made public because it made her seem like a "freak" and that's why she says that if it ever comes out she will have to "decipher" it for us (in other words, damage control).

... now I really want to read it.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Honestly, I think so too. Green and pink vinyls? Some kind of painting on the cover? Us hoping for surf elements, in songs and videos? Some hoping for Doin’ Time to be added to the tracklist? I get the feeling she’s been lurking more than usual on this site (and Lana, I’m still sorry for all the things I might’ve said before, I was just frustrated as heck when you wouldn’t tell us anything lol).

I do NOT BELIEVE that she didn't know what Reddit was. Really, Lanz? I mean she definitely lied when she said she only has one extra Insta account. She seriously has like five that we know of. And she has at least two Twitter accounts.

And don't forget when we had that big argument about Norman Fucking Rockwell the song being Happiness is a Butterfly, and the very next day she dropped the NFR snippet with a "TITLE TRACK" caption ... as if to clear up any confusion.

There are too many coincidences and you won't convince me that she doesn't read here. Obviously, she's never going to admit that she does ... "oh yeah I'm on LanaBoreds all the time and those people are freaks"

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream