Photo

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

• Please log in to reply
5345 replies to this topic

Poll: Norman Fucking Rockwell! (634 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell (242 votes [7.23%])

Percentage of vote: 7.23%

2. Mariners Apartment Complex (213 votes [6.37%])

Percentage of vote: 6.37%

3. Venice Bitch (327 votes [9.77%])

Percentage of vote: 9.77%

4. Fuck It, I Love You (216 votes [6.46%])

Percentage of vote: 6.46%

5. Doin' Time (161 votes [4.81%])

Percentage of vote: 4.81%

6. Love Song (257 votes [7.68%])

Percentage of vote: 7.68%

7. Cinnamon Girl (351 votes [10.49%])

Percentage of vote: 10.49%

8. How to Disappear (130 votes [3.89%])

Percentage of vote: 3.89%

9. California (367 votes [10.97%])

Percentage of vote: 10.97%

10. The Next Best American Record (136 votes [4.06%])

Percentage of vote: 4.06%

11. The Greatest (308 votes [9.21%])

Percentage of vote: 9.21%

12. Bartender (255 votes [7.62%])

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

13. Happiness is a Butterfly (260 votes [7.77%])

Percentage of vote: 7.77%

14. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it (123 votes [3.68%])

Percentage of vote: 3.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2901 ONLINE   LanaCharts

LanaCharts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

So... I was right! We love to see it

Attached Files

• Lust, Sugar Venom, Marius12 and 3 others like this

#2902 OFFLINE   UltraHeroin

UltraHeroin

Best new member~Best taste-2018

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationWhere the ocean and the stars meet
  • Fan Since:2015

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:37 PM

Damn dude, spot on!! well it's 1000 less but who cares

• LanaCharts likes this

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean tumblr_oo739iaDzM1v31k7mo1_500.png My mind is lost in the universe*** 

#2903 OFFLINE   Bob Renoir de Monet

Bob Renoir de Monet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationSerbia (Србија)
  • Fan Since:2012

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:54 PM

I actually think Lana is feeling frustrated that the album will debut at #3

and yes... she cares about numbers and sales and grammies and all...

#2904 OFFLINE   Loreen

Loreen

Frickin' wild card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts
  • Fan Since:December 2013

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:00 PM

True but honestly I'm satisfied with the fact that NFR got a very positive critical acclaim :tea:
  • Bartender, Sugar Venom, expandableclitoris and 6 others like this

n6OYpqv.png

#2905 OFFLINE   Vertimus

Vertimus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:05 PM

Couldn't agree more with you about the identity thing. It's a very fucked off topic when it comes to any person, as it's actually nothing but some kind of unstable cultural construction, and it has become more and more questioned for everyone with the historical development of last century, I'd say. Being an artist, when all your life oscilates towards your own identity and vision of the world, the accusations of inauthenticism are always levitating around you, and the dynamics of the cultural industry -more even being a woman- have to burn you on that side very hardly. The way Lana has played with this stuff all the time on her own favour is what I think that made her and her output such incredibly interesting. Let's hope she's not actually that "burned out after all" and will be able to bring amazing art for many years, as I'm sure she will. Maybe NFR is kind of an inflection point in her artistic development, as it shows as a big rupture with what came before it.

Full agree about the dangers of the precarious public persona and how it relates to authentic identity. There are examples everywhere in popular culture--from the 1947 'A Double Life' with Ronald Colman, whose character slowly goes mad playing Othello on Broadway, to how Nico and Marianne Faithfull couldn't continue to manage their pop star personas and became junkies for over a decade, to Heath Ledger dying after playing the Joker and admitting that he couldn't rid the character from his psyche. There's also typecasting--which ended the careers of numerous actors, from George Reeves to Jerry Mathers.

The Wilson sisters of Heart started out doing exactly what they wanted to do and writing some pretty strong songs from an earthly, lustful female perspective, like 'Devil Delight,' but then got criticized by their own friends for it and immediately buckled down and became whitewashed, politically correct, 'nice' versions of themselves. When that failed, they transformed into even further whitewashed pop princesses, a million miles from their personas ten years earlier--and then, after that collapsed, they blamed the record companies for forcing them to play pop princess roles, as if they had not agreed to it themselves and willfully entered into the bargain. Hence, they're not generally respected today. 

LDR should have stuck to her guns, is my opinion, though obviously her initial LDR persona was easy to parody and satirize, as SNL cruelly did one week after her singing debacle on their show. And she was, at the same time, being attacked by Lorde for being "inauthentic," and singing about the Hamptons when poor Lorde was still in New Zealand looking for a ride home from a party. Why did LDR buckle under that sort of pressure from Lorde? And then she accused Lorde of stealing the very sound LDR used on BTD for Lorde's own debut. Thus, 'Ultraviolence,' a completely new sound for LDR, but not one I have personally ever found convincing, except on 'West Coast,' 'Old Money,' 'Is This Happiness' and 'Black Beauty.'   

I agree with most of what is said here... but another thing to take into account is what Lana herself has said about her last two albums.  When promoting Lust for Life she said she made it "for the fans"... as in, she didn't make it for herself as had always been the case with her previous work.  I think that was a clear line drawn in the sand.  Prior to Lust for Life, I believe she was making the music she was truly inspired to make.  And now with this latest one, she's mentioned in every interview that when Jack Antonoff first approached her she wasn't in a writing mood, and had no desire to make an album.  Of course, she also says that "his chords" got her writing again immediately... but it's not hard to read between the lines that these last two albums are not albums that she went into with the same passion or inspiration as her earlier albums.  And I think most discerning fans, who have followed her career since the beginning, can tell.

I think that's a very good point, and I do think it's reflected on both LFL and NFR.

To me, LDR is not an album artist in the sense that she makes masterful albums that are cohesive and great from start to finish, like, say Joni Mitchell's classic 'Court & Spark,' the Beatles' 'Abbey Road,' or Tori Amos's 'Boys For Pele.' I expect to like half the songs on a new LDR release at best. Even on my LDR favorite, 'Paradise,' I don't care for the 'Blue Velvet' cover. 

• ParadiseFreak likes this

#2906 OFFLINE   Loreen

Loreen

Frickin' wild card

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts
  • Fan Since:December 2013

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:08 PM

nvm lol

n6OYpqv.png

#2907 OFFLINE   Marius12

Marius12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationPol.

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:12 PM

I STAN. As I said earlier - I'm happy that she's hit 100k copies and nvm that she's 3rd on BB200.

• LanaCharts likes this

giphy.gif

#2908 OFFLINE   Vertimus

Vertimus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:14 PM

We were talking about her identity and how being on the cultural industry surely is a huge challenge when it comes to keep a solid vision on one's own creation. Lana herself said to maybe be "burned out after all" on The Greatest, where she discusses herself this topic. The intention was to bring the matter to discussion, cause it's a very interesting one, not to made ethical judgments about Lana or her output. Even if I found this last album less interesting than her previous ones for most of it, I wouldn't say it's worse, cause there's no way to objetctively approach to it, just giving my views on it. 

Right. We're not talking about which project or song is objectively better, but our own personal impressions of NFR as a whole, sometimes in relation to her recent past.

Not only did she say she was burned out, but she said, in regard to the glamour girls and debutants in the Slim Aarons' book, "I'm not that," and mentions how hard it was for them to live up to some impossible social standard of beauty and decorum. Surely that is a reflection on her initial LDR persona, and why she's now presenting herself less glamorously unless she's at a red carpet event or something similar? Presenting herself perhaps as realistically as possible, as close to her real, daily self? I don't like the album cover at all, but for overall aesthetic reasons only. I like the interior shot of her standing against the sail very much. 

• sjatib likes this

#2909 OFFLINE   White Hot

White Hot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:14 PM

104k is great, I'm glad she managed to match the debut numbers of LFL and Honeymoon. Doubt she cares that much about being at #3, it wasn't a secret to anyone that she wouldn't top Tool's or Taylors numbers even if she pretended she didn't know about Lover's release while working with Jack Antonoff

• Marius12, faatiecaatie, UltraHeroin and 3 others like this

#2910 ONLINE   Ryusei

Ryusei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 882 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:15 PM

The album still grows on me with every listen, she really did THAT. AOTY or riot!!

• UltraHeroin, Ivory Cricket, GeminiLanaFan and 5 others like this

#2911 OFFLINE   WildMustang

WildMustang

motorcycle love divine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:20 PM

Grammys is not the same as sales lmao
I doubt she cares for sales otherwise she would make more commercial music
  • CatchTheBreeze likes this

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

#2912 OFFLINE   Bob Renoir de Monet

Bob Renoir de Monet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationSerbia (Србија)

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:25 PM

Grammys is not the same as sales lmao
I doubt she cares for sales otherwise she would make more commercial music

I meant sales in a way to get her #1 or 2
as she got used to these positions

commercial music does not have to equal sales
there are so many commertial albums who barely sell 5000
btw
this is 1st day since the album is released that I did not listen to it

#2913 OFFLINE   theeternalstars

theeternalstars

a nightmare... literally a nightmare

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationCambridge and Glasgow
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:32 PM

If she cared enough about sales to be sad about a very strong week of 103K, she would have done almost everything in the roll-out differently - including the release date.

PS. Obviously there are other factors at play - thinking of that one showbiz blogger who keeps repeating the dubious claim that Interscope delayed NFR for Billie Eilish to have her release.
fullsizeoutput-3494.png

#2914 OFFLINE   Trash Magic

Trash Magic

Listens to people who can sing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,495 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:34 PM

Can't believe we are getting the Live Lounge session with a new cover tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do I feel like she covered break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored or some shit lol

Predictions anyone? I think she will do Mariners Apartment Complex, The Greatest and Norman Fucking Rockwel

• Elle, Marius12, GeminiLanaFan and 3 others like this

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

#2915 OFFLINE   PARADIXO

PARADIXO

Daddy of the Year 2019

• Moderators
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • Favourite LDR Song:Change

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

Regarding Lana's awkward fakeness in interviews, I can't help but analyze it astrologically just like I'm doing with literally everything in my life this year :rip:

My ex is a Cancer with Cancer Mercury just like her, and they're so alike (they literally are the same -- Cancer Sun, Leo Moon and Scoprio rising. No wonder I will never get over him :rip: )

He is so so deep and thoughful and whatever is going on in his mind is abstract and emotive, but whenever someone asks him about stuff he instantly lies, exaggerates, changes topics, gives extremely flat and superficial responses... :rip: I hate them

I, a Leo Sun with a Leo Mercury am all about spilling all the tea

If she cared enough about sales to be sad about a very strong week of 103K, she would have done almost everything in the roll-out differently - including the release date.

PS. Obviously there are other factors at play - thinking of that one showbiz blogger who keeps repeating the dubious claim that Interscope delayed NFR for Billie Eilish to have her release.

I agree. If she cared so much about sales she would definitely do a different type of music, just like she once said. Since she does care about her public image and praise, she's making more mature music and lyrics.

• late bloomer likes this

Posted Image

#2916 OFFLINE   West Coast

West Coast

come on in, the dreams are fine

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Locationout back in the garden
  • Fan Since:June 2012

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:43 PM

my ranking:

1. california
  2. the greatest
  3. mariners apartment complex
  4. venice bitch
  5. how to disappear
  6. bartender
  7. happiness is a butterfly
  8. norman fucking rockwell
  9. fuck it i love you
  10. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it
  11. cinnamon girl
  12. doin time
  13. the next best american record
  14. love song

• PARADIXO likes this

u3Trmqe.jpg

#2917 OFFLINE   ArtDecoDelRey

ArtDecoDelRey

ivory cricket, lana's unborn child

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA
  • Fan Since:2014

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:45 PM

104k is actually very good for an album with no major singles... im shocked its that high tbh

• PARADIXO and late bloomer like this

giphy.gif

#2918 OFFLINE   PARADIXO

PARADIXO

Daddy of the Year 2019

• Moderators
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

1. venice byatch
  2. mariners apartment complex
  3. the greatest
  4. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it
  5. happiness is a butterfly
  6. norman fucking rockwell
  7. love song
  8. california
  9. fuck it i love you
  10. cinnamon girl
  11. doin' time
  12. the next best american record
  13. bartender
  14. how to disappear

Posted Image

#2919 OFFLINE   expandableclitoris

expandableclitoris

1) go to my profile page

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

the cover should be Harmony Hall by VM or Slide Away by Miley

#2920 OFFLINE   PARADIXO

PARADIXO

Daddy of the Year 2019

• Moderators
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:51 PM

BTW, Mr. Norman debuted at No.1 in my country!  :flutter:  It's her third No.1 if I'm not mistaken (Ultraviolence, Lust for Life, NFR) Born to Die has been Gold for a few years now (over 20k copies) and UV is eligible for Gold too.

• Elle, Marius12, GeminiLanaFan and 2 others like this

Posted Image

4 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

LanaCharts, sweetie, drowning mermaid