Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I was just reading lol

Here's what the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge thinks of Lana Del Rey’s new album title

Following the release of Del Rey’s explosively popular sixth studio album, the Globe reached out to Laurie Norton Moffatt, director and chief executive of the museum, via e-mail to see how the music and the record’s slightly risque name has been received by staff, trustees, and visitors alike, and what it could mean for the institute’s mission of spreading the word about Rockwell’s work and his “contributions to society, popular culture, and social commentary.

"It caught our attention and we were definitely intrigued. The contrast of the expletive with Norman Rockwell had what seemed to be its desired affect: to be provocative. We were excited, too, as we see this as a great cultural moment to connect with Lana Del Rey fans who may not know who Norman Rockwell was."

"Some Museum patrons and trustees called us with mixed reactions ... But most recognized that we are witnessing generational shifts in culture and use of language — what older generations find disrespectful, younger generations are expressively using."

"Did anyone listen to the album?

Yes, many of us did. Lana Del Rey has a beautiful voice and her songs are evocative ballads. Even if her music was not to everyone’s taste, all appreciated her talent and her ability to paint a picture through song, much as Norman Rockwell painted soulful and heartfelt pictures. Several staff members are Lana fans; others have children who are fans."

"We’re excited to add his name to the lexicon of a new generation; we hope Lana’s album sparks curiosity and inspires people of all ages to learn about Rockwell and his art. We see great alignment with topics and issues that today’s youth care about and those that Rockwell portrayed for past generations: themes of social justice, human rights, freedom of speech, food and housing security, poverty, safety, religious and personal freedoms (the Four Freedoms)."

"Norman Rockwell’s name has become an adjective applied to conjure a certain idealistic, nostalgic view of life gone by in America. We interpret that she used his name because of the iconic images he created of people in idyllic and (mostly) optimistic settings. Based off the music on the album it sounds like she hoped her romance would be a Rockwell-like affair and it ended with disillusionment. On the one hand, is Rockwell’s world an illusion that can’t be lived up to? On the other hand, Rockwell always leaves a place for hope. America’s spirit is resilient. Rockwell captures that. And reviews about Del Rey’s album remark on her sense of hope."

Her. Fucking. Power :defeated:

Is anyone able to sing this line from FIILY without going out of breath ?

It turns out California's more than a juste a state of mind. I met you on the boulevard, wind through my hair, you blew my mind and if I wasn't so fucked up I think I'd fuck you all the time.

It's frustrating

It turns out California's more than a juste a state of mind. I met you on the boulevard, wind through my hair, you blew my mind and if I wasn't so fucked up I think I'd fuck you all the time.

It's frustrating

Mind blown ⚰

It's frustrating

Unless you're a chainsmoker, yes 

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

I don't even smoke sis but I just can't sing that line  :defeated:

What do you mean papi ?

I can only sing the other verse but not that one. I don't know what she is saying  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."