Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I kinda can't stand the piano songs, it's why I can only tolerate NFR in the smallest doses. My head-space wants something with Ultraviolence and AKA sounds. In my opinion NFR sounds helpless and I think it was meant to be the opposite. UV had this dark, throaty sound and NFR sounds expressionless, flat. NFR has barely any good slow crescendos, the intros are the absolute worst. Sorry, I know I'm shitting a lot on NFR. AKA had this thoughtful sound to it, not like the "introspective sad girl shit" sound, but AKA had this sound that I can't describe. AKA is pleasant and plays around with different sounds. I wish she would get rid of that trap beat added in HM era.

This is basically my summary of the album too

It's honestly laughable how you always bring up Honeymoon stans being bitter that NFR got recognition Honeymoon did not, like you're always using critics as proof of Lana's so called greatness on this record. Very same critic that literally shit all over her discography up until this album. Albums that, if I may add, probably got you into listening to her music or be a fan I presume? Shitty critics didn't stop you from listening to these albums at the time of their release, did they? Funny how now some of y'all Jackoff Antonoff stans now use that as some sort of leverage whenever people point the out the obvious faults and flaws on NFR.

Sorry but saying that this album is her best just because she's got good reviews for it is bullshit, it's literally been two months since its release and as much as I love Lana and think it's well overdue that she receives acclaim, saying that NFR is better than the tens of thousands of album that have been released since 2010, let alone her own albums, is a fucking joke.

You keep talking about how perfect this album is, but frankly, it's probably her most subdued. For the life of me, I honestly can't stand how flat, dry, tinny and lifeless the instrumentals sound, not mentioning how cheap they come off on certain tracks too. And don't even get me started on how unequal and plain the vocals sound too on most tracks. It's just painful how there is not symbiosis between voice and instruments on this record. Even some of the lyrics are just cringeworthy "Oh god miss you on my lips, it's me your little Venice Bitch" like wtf is that about? So much for Lana's alleged "best and career defining song".

Funnily enough, on my way back home earlier Brooklyn Baby came on shuffle, and wow, this track obliterates the vast majority of tracks on NFR. Instrumental wise it's everything NFR should've been, perfect balance of subtlety and intensity, intricate instrumentals not like "look I can play guitar!!" in your face kinda instrumentals, everything but flat, and perfect arrangement of vocals and instrumentals. An actual masterpiece.

At this particular point even Lust for Life was better production wise.

HERE HERE

For me, NFR remains flaccid. I agree with Max. NFR is like a pancake that looks properly cooked from the outside, but, when you cut into, turns out to have a lot of uncooked batter in the middle.

Even if NFR was nothing but a collection of B-sides or outtakes, I would consider it flat, bland and mediocre as a whole.

This album is still amazing for me. The only songs I usually have an inclination to skip are Doin’ Time, California, and TNBAR. Love Song, Venice Bitch, and Happiness are the trifecta.

When I first heard the album I did hear the mastering issues that everyone has but I’ve gotten used to them and I think this IS her strongest set of songs.

How to Disappear is amazing and so is it’s production. She’s writing a letter to someone in New York from Cali. It’s still sunny where she is but it’s winter in New York which is why the sleigh bells feel perfect in the song. The first few times I listened I assumed she was referring to the guy she’s singing about being the one who disappeared but I now realize she is referring to herself disappearing from NY to Cali.

speaking of spamming remember when lanaboards user jared got mod queued for

MAGNUM OPUS

Thanks for reminding me that I've been saying that NFR would be her magnum opus ever since I heard the first singles and I was proven to be right all along. 

Btw. I was mod queued for text color, not for posting the truth.

0c7babad51260148905e098361803ed8.gif

Btw. I won't go into further discussion with people who think ''Hope Is A Dangerous Thing For A Woman Like Me To Have-But I Have It'' is an awful song or with people who think Lust For Life has better production than NFR (unless it's to mock them)

0VeIGL.gif

Btw. I won't go into further discussion with people who think ''Hope Is A Dangerous Thing For A Woman Like Me To Have-But I Have It'' is an awful song or with people who think Lust For Life has better production than NFR (unless it's to mock them)

0VeIGL.gif

Yess qween. NFR is Lana's BEST ALBUM

.PERIOD.

Thanks for reminding me that I've been saying that NFR would be her magnum opus ever since I heard the first singles and I was proven to be right all along. 

Btw. I was mod queued for text color, not for posting the truth.

0c7babad51260148905e098361803ed8.gif

Lust for Life might've had too much trap beats, juvenile lyrics, too many features (as well as too many tracks), but at least it did not sound uncooked, dry and flat. Something NFR can't relate to. Musically NFR is clearly superior, that is a no brainer, but from a production and mastering point of view, even compared to Lust for Life, well, NFR falls very flat.

and you're still acting like a clown (in colour now too!) :toofloppy: 

jackoff fan boys make me wanna gag like...imagine stanning for white mediocrity  :toofloppy:  the fact is UV and Honeymoon literally shit all over NFR and back like pick any song from those 2 albums and put it next to any track on NFR and well...it explains itself doesn't it girls, an underproduced album with terrible sound engineering and lackluster vocals will never be cute and will never be her magnum opus! sorry luv x 

also since when do we give a shit about what fucking critics say? lmao like who actually cares what some old ass white men think, they're only taking her seriously now as an artist once she stripped away the glamour and del rey persona because critics don't wanna take hyper feminine women seriously and just see them as vapid popstars 

d63yq15-3111241c-203c-4c68-b6a1-861d09a7

How many times must I come to these threads and see everyone trying to invalidate each others opinions instead of discussing them like adults. You’re all children that think you’re “right” so you can’t drop the fact that some people like an album and some people don’t. I’m not referring to one specific side of this argument either. It’s always the same handful of people.

I don’t do that, attack people for what are, yes, ‘mere opinions.’ Almost everything expressed here IS mere opinion, and it makes no sense to attack others for having differing opinions. That is childish.

Obviously, there’s a vast and much wider social context to all of this and the endless personal attacks and counter-attacks on individual tastes. We might hope for a fairly mature, ‘adult’ and restrained dialogue, but this is a pure democracy, and everyone gets their say, ‘adult’ or not.

jackoff fan boys make me wanna gag like...imagine stanning for white mediocrity  :toofloppy:  the fact is UV and Honeymoon literally shit all over NFR and back like pick any song from those 2 albums and put it next to any track on NFR and well...it explains itself doesn't it girls, an underproduced album with terrible sound engineering and lackluster vocals will never be cute and will never be her magnum opus! sorry luv x 

also since when do we give a shit about what fucking critics say? lmao like who actually cares what some old ass white men think, they're only taking her seriously now as an artist once she stripped away the glamour and del rey persona because critics don't wanna take hyper feminine women seriously and just see them as vapid popstars 

THIS

Once Lana stopped being the Lana of her first three records, that's where they actually started "appreciating" her work more. Sorry, but I am not here for that. Lana has literally been shamed for wanting to express her femininity through her art. This is exactly why I don't give two shits about what ANY critics have to say about Lana, whether they disregard her music, or call it her best work, their words have no worth.

Me and maxdenhaag finally agree on something. Lana definitely stopped being Lana of her first three records - she evolved into better, more listenable, more mature, less dramatic and overproduced artist and that's why she's getting more acclaim. 

Also, imagine calling Jack white mediocrity while having Britney Spears in your avi. 

0VeIGL.gif

Me and maxdenhaag finally agree on something. Lana definitely stopped being Lana of her first three records - she evolved into better, more listenable, more mature, less dramatic and overproduced artist and that's why she's getting more acclaim. 

Now now don't put words in my mouth Jack Jared, Lana might've evolved into a more mature artist, but from a music point of view she couldn't be more unlistenable and, sorry, but basic Valley Girl. :rip:

Ultraviolence and Honeymoon are far from overproduced, I would agree for Born To Die. But the other two records, that's just a lie and you know it.  :hooker:

Anyway, I'll go back to listen to albums that actually cater to my taste as a music listener (that actually don't butcher my ears too!), albums I don't need approval, or seek validation, from so called music critics to actually think they are masterpieces.  :diva:

giphy.gif

I don't know if this has been talked about yet but if you call the Honeymoon Hotline they play California now  :hdu: what could this mean?

Stream California!

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

wait - you're telling me you don't think honeymoon is mature or sophisticated (and you think NFR IS???) have you listened to it in full? it's literally her most stripped down, vulnerable album but okay