Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Been inactive for ages and ya'll are still talking about which season each album relates to PLEASEEE

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

I wanna be able to trust someone physically to break to HIADT during sex, like fucking mcflurry of emotions and epiphanies, monsoons. hurricanes, demons finding their light and wings again, end up surviving back to the title track if the albums playing on repeat bc lets not lie, being understood down to ur very depths, being touched to ur core, and not having them leave, and actually wanting to cradle that shit. :oprah3:  :ahhney: :slay:  :wowcry:  :krylie:  :wipe:  to the point where u don't know who's winning  :uh: :eyeroll: :karaoke:   :mariah: :read:   :kim:       

UV/Honeymoon

The first time ever I listened to NFR was on FLAC files, can't get any "better" than that, and it sounded unfinished and tinny. :rip:

To each their own, but to me, NFR lacks depth, it sounds like I'm listening to Demos or like the unfinished version of an album. Some of fans here like the "organic"/unfinished approach on NFR. But personally, I don't. I don't mean to sound pretentious, but it sounds hella iffy to the audiophile that I am.

If you don’t like the full dynamic, organic soundscape, you should compress it and lower the quality, not try to improve it. That’s the problem, the quality is too high so you hear more extra sounds that don’t make it through on a lower quality. Use a flac converter and turn the flac files into mp3 or wma files (or just get the pink vinyl). Yeah, compressing it makes it kinda tinny and flat, but it’s slicker and loses the “mistakes” left in. It’ll sound more comparable to Born to Die or Paradise that way. As an audiophile, I personally prefer the more dynamic sound we got since you can almost hear right into the room. But I know this soundscape isn’t popular with everyone, and creating the illusion of being more polished and synthetic can be achieved by compressing it. It won’t sound perfect, but if you enjoy the songs and just don’t like the style of production, that’s the easiest fix. If you just don’t like the songs though, I don’t have any solutions yet. But I’m a big believer that there’s a solution for everything.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

If you don’t like the full dynamic, organic soundscape, you should compress it and lower the quality, not try to improve it. That’s the problem, the quality is too high so you hear more extra sounds that don’t make it through on a lower quality. Use a flac converter and turn the flac files into mp3 or wma files (or just get the pink vinyl). Yeah, compressing it makes it kinda tinny and flat, but it’s slicker and loses the “mistakes” left in. It’ll sound more comparable to Born to Die or Paradise that way. As an audiophile, I personally prefer the more dynamic sound we got since you can almost hear right into the room. But I know this soundscape isn’t popular with everyone, and creating the illusion of being more polished and synthetic can be achieved by compressing it. It won’t sound perfect, but if you enjoy the songs and just don’t like the style of production, that’s the easiest fix. If you just don’t like the songs though, I don’t have any solutions yet. But I’m a big believer that there’s a solution for everything.

That's some great wishful thinking!

I agree the album as a much more organic sound than its predecessor, but this is not the type of sound that I like personally speaking. I don't actually think that the album as that top notch quality like you said, it for sure sounds more "natural" or organic like we both said, but as it turns out it sounds quite flat to my taste. There's a lack in depth I think. It just sounds flat to me, it lacks bass or percussions, also the vocal tracks on a lot of songs suffer from that too. The vocals on most track feel like they were poorly recorded and it does sound to me like they were compressed as well (cue to Lana's high note when she sings the "you" in the second pre-verse of the title track, as matter of fact the whole track was poorly recorded).

To me Honeymoon has a better sound, I've listened to all her albums on FLAC, CDs, Streaming and Vinyl, and Honeymoon has just the best sound out of all her albums, it sounds clear, it's balanced and extremely lush (maybe to the exception of High By The Beach and Freak), but as for the rest, it's crystal clear. I just don't hear that on NFR, but to each their own I suppose.

That's some great wishful thinking!

I agree the album as a much more organic sound than its predecessor, but this is not the type of sound that I like personally speaking. I don't actually think that the album as that top notch quality like you said, it for sure sounds more "natural" or organic like we both said, but as it turns out it sounds quite flat to my taste. There's a lack in depth I think. It just sounds flat to me, it lacks bass or percussions, also the vocal tracks on a lot of songs suffer from that too. The vocals on most track feel like they were poorly recorded and it does sound to me like they were compressed as well (cue to Lana's high note when she sings the "you" in the second pre-verse of the title track, as matter of fact the whole track was poorly recorded).

To me Honeymoon has a better sound, I've listened to all her albums on FLAC, CDs, Streaming and Vinyl, and Honeymoon has just the best sound out of all her albums, it sounds clear, it's balanced and extremely lush (maybe to the exception of High By The Beach and Freak), but as for the rest, it's crystal clear. I just don't hear that on NFR, but to each their own I suppose.

I still don’t care for NFR as a whole, and never play it, though a few songs are okay. It’s flat and lifeless for me. Some songs, like ‘CG’ and ‘TG’ could have been so much better with just a little tweaking. It’s LDR at her most boring, persona-wise, whether that’s persona is ‘authentically Lana’ or another intentional or semi-conscious pose. I’m glad to know others feel the same way.

I was listening to R.E.M.’s great song ‘Suspicion’ this morning, and it occurred to me that something like it was what LDR was trying to create on NDR, but failed.

I was wondering this! Because you can hear right into the studio at some points it seems

Like at the end of MAC it sounds like she's saying "damn" in the studio, and at the very end of Hope extended version

I still don’t care for NFR as a whole, and never play it, though a few songs are okay. It’s flat and lifeless for me. Some songs, like ‘CG’ and ‘TG’ could have been so much better with just a little tweaking. It’s LDR at her most boring, persona-wise, whether that’s persona is ‘authentically Lana’ or another intentional or semi-conscious pose. I’m glad to know others feel the same way.

I was listening to R.E.M.’s great song ‘Suspicion’ this morning, and it occurred to me that something like it was what LDR was trying to create on NDR, but failed.

I totally get what you mean. Though I can see how and why some fans really appreciate this record. It just doesn't bring out much out of me. I still very much revere Lana's first three records as her best. They all have a very distinctive soundscape and that depth of sound that NFR is completely lacking, most songs on it don't have that climax moment or intricacy in the instrumentals to make them sound great and varied.

I've said this on several other posts, but the production and mastering on here is quite lackluster, it sounds flat and lifeless.  :rip:

Edit: That R.E.M. song is great... it's weirdly very NFR-ish, but like in a world where NFR actually sounds like a fully finished and properly produced and mastered record.

i admire the dedication some of you have to finding your ideal audio format for this album, but i personally would rather just go listen to something else that already sounds good without me having to make adjustments for the...questionable recording and mastering decisions

it's just the way i feel

i admire the dedication some of you have to finding your ideal audio format for this album, but i personally would rather just go listen to something else that already sounds good without me having to make adjustments for the...questionable recording and mastering decisions

You don't even have to be an audiophile to find the production/mastering of this record to be questionable, like from the first listen I already spotted details that sounded hella off and cheap, the further I listen to it, the more I find it cheap and lackluster.  :rip:

Thank god I don't have to pretend to like this album just because it's Lana's, can't relate to that.  :makeup:

You don't even have to be an audiophile to find the production/mastering of this record to be questionable, like from the first listen I already spotted details that sounded hella off and cheap, the further I listen to it, the more I find it cheap and lackluster.  :rip:

Thank god I don't have to pretend to like this album just because it's Lana's, can't relate to that.  :makeup:

oh same and i really wouldn't call myself an "audiophile" in any real sense, like i care far more about the actual music than the sound quality...the instrumentation straight up sounds cheap af, like low quality digital instruments trying to replicate real ones 

i purposely haven't ever even gone into all my issues with it on this site lol, not even close

it's just the way i feel

oh same and i really wouldn't call myself an "audiophile" in any real sense, like i care far more about the actual music than the sound quality...the instrumentation straight up sounds cheap af, like low quality digital instruments trying to replicate real ones 

i purposely haven't ever even gone into all my issues with it on this site lol, not even close

Exactly.

Do tell, please  :hooker:

sdjfh this "NFR's production is bad" conversation's still going

Yup, it's not like there's much to talk about, like the album is no longer charting (or up there anyway) and like people outside of this fandom have already forgotten about it. Besides this and Lana seemingly recycling her setlist, showing up late and dating the c*p... there's not much going on  :creep:

Yup, it's not like there's much to talk about, like the album is no longer charting (or up there anyway) and like people outside of this fandom have already forgotten about it. Besides this and Lana seemingly recycling her setlist... there's not much going on  :creep:

oof.. this tea