Photo

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

• Please log in to reply
6040 replies to this topic

Poll: Norman Fucking Rockwell! (653 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell (245 votes [7.21%])

Percentage of vote: 7.21%

2. Mariners Apartment Complex (219 votes [6.44%])

Percentage of vote: 6.44%

3. Venice Bitch (333 votes [9.80%])

Percentage of vote: 9.80%

4. Fuck It, I Love You (222 votes [6.53%])

Percentage of vote: 6.53%

5. Doin' Time (164 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

6. Love Song (261 votes [7.68%])

Percentage of vote: 7.68%

7. Cinnamon Girl (357 votes [10.50%])

Percentage of vote: 10.50%

8. How to Disappear (132 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

9. California (371 votes [10.91%])

Percentage of vote: 10.91%

10. The Next Best American Record (138 votes [4.06%])

Percentage of vote: 4.06%

11. The Greatest (315 votes [9.27%])

Percentage of vote: 9.27%

12. Bartender (258 votes [7.59%])

Percentage of vote: 7.59%

13. Happiness is a Butterfly (259 votes [7.62%])

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

14. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it (125 votes [3.68%])

Percentage of vote: 3.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#4581 OFFLINE   CinnamonGay

CinnamonGay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Fan Since:2015

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

Born to die - Early Summer
Paradise - Early Summer
Ultraviolence - Winter
Honeymoon- Mid Summer/ Late Summer
Lust for Life-Spring/ Rainy season
Norman Fucking Rockwell- Autumn.

Sirens- Fall/Winter nights.

And that's that.
  • lernerderrey likes this

#4582 OFFLINE   prettywhenicry

prettywhenicry

Carmen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Fan Since:February 2012

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:20 PM

I LOVE the piano in The Greatest! It makes the song even more sad.

I bet these outros are there to keep the album together.

Love Song and California are great for that reason. It's cute that these songs don't have a bridge.

• Lanalouis1, Neptune, Clampigirl and 4 others like this

tumblr_nfbphqZOiJ1qhzp5bo1_500.gif

#4583 OFFLINE   hippo

hippo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

LFL - winter

BTD - spring

HM, UV, Paradise  - summer

NFR - end of summer, autumn

#4584 OFFLINE   LemonadeHeavens

LemonadeHeavens

i'm a little pearl, yep

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:11 PM

Sirens - Winter

AKA - Summer

Born To Die - Winter

Paradise - Fall

Ultraviolence - HOT, DREARY Summer

Honeymoon - Summer

Lust For Life - Early Summer

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Late Summer/Early Fall

And I predict that WHF/LDR7 is going to be a HOT, BURNING SUMMER album. 

#4585 OFFLINE   mrborntolose

mrborntolose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:44 PM

how about all of her albums - whatever fucking season
  • Clampigirl, 13bitches, HANGINGFROOT and 3 others like this

#4586 OFFLINE   movebaby

movebaby

eat the rich

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Fan Since:my mom said she didn't like video games & i wanted to spite her

Posted 08 November 2019 - 11:17 PM

lana albums as seasons

btd: season 10 of project runway

paradise: season 7 of 30 rock

uv: season 1 of the affair

hm: season 3 of star trek: the next generation

lfl: season 5 of teletubbies

nfr: season 17 of dr phil

• ChicaCherryCola, mrborntolose, June Gloom and 11 others like this

it's just the way i feel

#4587 OFFLINE   mrborntolose

mrborntolose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:12 AM

Not being picky though, it's literally the first thing I hear on the very first track of the album, how "flat" the vocal track sounds like, and also how the entire instrumentation of the title track sounds tinny, like it has this sorta cheap metallic sound (?) like at some point it legit sounds like loose change in a pocket. Still love the song, but much like the vast majority of this record I'm honestly perplexed about what happened, or didn't happened, when they produced/mastered this record.

The so called flaws are obvious.
giphy.gif?cid=790b76110736a2d8d7d5a7d4ef

that’s hot. can we make out
  • SparkleJumpropeNoose and leaderofthepack like this

#4588 OFFLINE   bored

bored

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Fan Since:2012

Posted 09 November 2019 - 03:51 PM

So are we getting the other music videos or?

#4589 ONLINE   SparkleJumpropeNoose

SparkleJumpropeNoose

RICH WHORE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts
  • LocationNEW YORK
  • Fan Since:SPRING '16

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

wait i cracked the code

aka - december/march

btd - january

uv - may/july

honeymoon - august

lfl - june

nfr - september

• CinnamonGirl and late bloomer like this
CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL
WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

#4590 OFFLINE   daphnedinkley

daphnedinkley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

lana albums as seasons

btd: season 10 of project runway

paradise: season 7 of 30 rock

uv: season 1 of the affair

hm: season 3 of star trek: the next generation

lfl: season 5 of teletubbies

nfr: season 17 of dr phil

agree with most but LFL is clearly season 7 of teletubbies, not 5. S7 aired in 2016 in the wake of president trump's elect, but the episodes themselves focus on being carefree, having fun and holding out hope even in the face of fascist turmoil - episodes like "silly sausages" see children having fun in the park, "sing song" sees laa laa make up a pretty little song that she then shares with the other teletubbies, "ballet" features dipsy and the tiddlytubbies dancing all episode long. when the world was at war we kept dancing indeed. however, it was not a season that completely ignored the cultural climate surrounding it - much like LFL as an album, it had moments of reflection and personal introspection. take the episode "reflections", for example - the teletubbies notice their reflection in a puddle (a statement on our ever-shifting climates, when you consider that towards the end of the episode the sun comes back out, shining bright as if its a hot summer day) then as dipsy bends down to further inspect his reflection in a way he hasn't before, his hat falls off and gets wet, emphasising the idea that now our titular characters are beginning to understand these personal investigations into their mind, their mirrored images and their entire state of being not only have an existential and philosophical value, but a real world one, too. while dipsy is undoubtedly disappointed to have gotten his hat wet, it urges him to consider how he can apply these internal ideas into external life, because these personal reflections of ours not only exist in the real world but can impact it too. change is a powerful thing, people are powerful beings.

• Tristesse, PARADIXO, Sugar Venom and 4 others like this

#4591 OFFLINE   TrashMagiq

TrashMagiq

hiadtfawlmth-bihi stan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fan Since:late 2012

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

Po's racist btw, she often hangs out with Tinky Winky and Laa-Laa, but not with Dipsy. Why? Because Dipsy's a teletubby of color. Dipsy however, loves playing with Po, it's sad. In some episodes Dipsy is even seen playing by himself, because nobody's around for him. He's often described as "stubborn" "sarcastic", etc, but this is just plain racism. Also, Laa-Laa's slightly homophobic but she's trying to better her life. She usually avoids Tinky Winky and prefers to play with the other 2 teletubbies, because of Tinky Winky's sexuality and feminine ways. However, throughout her lifetime she has grown as a teletubby and does try and hang out with Tinky Winky occasionally, to accept him and his sexuality, despite her homophobia. Po however, has shown no signs of growth. Teletubbies is a very politcal series, and I personally think each season fits in with the themes of Lust for Life.

I found all this out cause I had to do a presentation on teletubbies for english class one time. I was shocked and upset when my eyes were opened to the truth and it turned out it's not all just happiness and sunshine, but that's real life. The teletubbies are a representation of society. More info can be found on the Teletubbies wiki.

• Sugar Venom, 13bitches, takeitdoen and 2 others like this

#4592 OFFLINE   prettywhenicry

prettywhenicry

Carmen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Fan Since:February 2012

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

This is a really interesting Interview. I don't know if this has been posted.

• Foxglove likes this

tumblr_nfbphqZOiJ1qhzp5bo1_500.gif

#4593 OFFLINE   recklessdaughter

recklessdaughter

gold dust woman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Locationthe undying lands
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:38 PM

If your copy of NFR sounds “tinny”, try the digital version on good headphones or get the standard black vinyl. They sound full and dynamic. But even the UO vinyl of NFR isn’t half as tinny as the UO vinyl of HM. I can’t vouch for the CD, but if it sounds that tinny, try a different format. You don’t have to give up, there’s a version for everyone. The standard black vinyl sounds very dynamic and organic and if you close your eyes, it will feel like Lana’s right in the room with you. I recommend this format if you want a full and raw sound.
Spoiler

#4594 OFFLINE   Foxglove

Foxglove

fucking hot, hot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:43 PM

honestly, i think Teletubbies says a lot more about the political state of the world today than Lana could ever dream.  The nuanced and delicate ways this groundbreaking show addresses such important topics is far above and beyond the child-like pattering of Lust For Life.  While the Teletubbies seek a world where everyone is treated equally, receives a fair portion of Tubby Custard and Toast, and enjoys their day in the sun - they face challenges such as the pervasive tech industry's mass surveillance encroaching into their personal lives and even their own bodies through Tele Tummy Screen Implants, and dealing with the issues y'all described above like Dipsy's mistreatment as a Tubby of Color, Tinky Winky's sexuality, Po's tendency towards far right ideology, etc.  Lust For Life barely scratched the surface of these issues, and Lana is content to just go to church and forget about it because it doesn't really affect her.  I think comparing LFL to Teletubbies really sells the world of Teletubbies short.

• Sugar Venom, hornymoon, 13bitches and 2 others like this

#4595 OFFLINE   MXDH

MXDH

Jared's biggest stan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSome place in North America
  • Fan Since:Summer of 2012

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

This is a really interesting Interview. I don't know if this has been posted.

at 2:02 "cause we do a two hour soundcheck before each show"

Sorry but I have to laugh, this bitch barely stays on stage for an hour and fifteen minutes. Her fucking mind.

giphy.gif

• prettywhenicry, Clampigirl, 13bitches and 4 others like this

#4596 OFFLINE   TrashMagiq

TrashMagiq

hiadtfawlmth-bihi stan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fan Since:late 2012

Posted 09 November 2019 - 05:13 PM

honestly, i think Teletubbies says a lot more about the political state of the world today than Lana could ever dream.  The nuanced and delicate ways this groundbreaking show addresses such important topics is far above and beyond the child-like pattering of Lust For Life.  While the Teletubbies seek a world where everyone is treated equally, receives a fair portion of Tubby Custard and Toast, and enjoys their day in the sun - they face challenges such as the pervasive tech industry's mass surveillance encroaching into their personal lives and even their own bodies through Tele Tummy Screen Implants, and dealing with the issues y'all described above like Dipsy's mistreatment as a Tubby of Color, Tinky Winky's sexuality, Po's tendency towards far right ideology, etc.  Lust For Life barely scratched the surface of these issues, and Lana is content to just go to church and forget about it because it doesn't really affect her.  I think comparing LFL to Teletubbies really sells the world of Teletubbies short.

I personally disagree. I think Teletubbies and LFL show the current political climate in very simmilar ways. I think Teletubbies is an amazing representation of modern day society and the type of people we find in it. Po's racist, Laa-Laa's homophobic, but the show itself isn't directly showing the whole truth. Only after my research did my eyes open to it. It's all just glossed over, they send the message that if you just play together and eat custard together that all will be well, and there will be no worries. Just like how Lana says we just got to keep dancing through these tough times, and it'll all get better. But it doesn't get better, and that's the hard truth. Eating custard, playing together, dancing and performing on stage with a loving energy with a thematic emphasis on peace won't fix a world that's politically broken, but that's the message we are given by both Teletubbies and Lust for Life. Both are political, but send a politically blind message that gives its viewers and listeners false comfort.

• Sugar Venom, movebaby and Foxglove like this

#4597 OFFLINE   Foxglove

Foxglove

fucking hot, hot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 11:58 PM

I personally disagree. I think Teletubbies and LFL show the current political climate in very simmilar ways. I think Teletubbies is an amazing representation of modern day society and the type of people we find in it. Po's racist, Laa-Laa's homophobic, but the show itself isn't directly showing the whole truth. Only after my research did my eyes open to it. It's all just glossed over, they send the message that if you just play together and eat custard together that all will be well, and there will be no worries. Just like how Lana says we just got to keep dancing through these tough times, and it'll all get better. But it doesn't get better, and that's the hard truth. Eating custard, playing together, dancing and performing on stage with a loving energy with a thematic emphasis on peace won't fix a world that's politically broken, but that's the message we are given by both Teletubbies and Lust for Life. Both are political, but send a politically blind message that gives its viewers and listeners false comfort.

and i --

wow. a truly moving analysis.  you're right.  the sun doesn't always come out tomorrow, and both Lana and the Teletubbies are lying about it.  i heard the war was never over for the exploited voiceless across the globe, yet their stories are still not being paid attention to.  i cant wait for Lana's upcoming album "White Girl Woke For Now"

• Sugar Venom, movebaby and MXDH like this

#4598 OFFLINE   movebaby

movebaby

eat the rich

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Fan Since:my mom said she didn't like video games & i wanted to spite her

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:14 AM

can i just say i truly appreciate the level of valuable and edifying political teletubby discourse we're able to have on this site <3

• Sugar Venom, SparkleJumpropeNoose, Neptune and 5 others like this

it's just the way i feel

#4599 OFFLINE   Creyk

Creyk

Lana is my religion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts
  • LocationNY
  • Fan Since:2012

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:34 AM

giphy.gif

• californianfreak, Neptune, amphetamine and 7 others like this

#4600 OFFLINE   YUNGATA

YUNGATA

~*~ #OGQUEEN ~*~

• OG Moderators
  • 4,133 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • Favourite LDR Song:Radio

Posted 10 November 2019 - 01:09 AM

literally why is it so hard for some of you to use the right threads  :deadbanana:

• Elle likes this

tumblr_n5hpyfLKlC1ss8rngo4_400.gif

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users