Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Can you link me to what Taylor said?

Also I’m kind of wondering if she considered all the year end buzz her Grammy campaign. I can see her not really caring so much about pushing it. Maybe a win would be more meaningful to her if she didn’t advocate for it. Like vindication in a sense. Either that or she just doesn’t want to put in the work/effort.

Taylor praising Lana: https://twitter.com/lanadelreyfans/status/1205348331507073024

giphy.gif

I hope NFR gets a grammy so she can move on and start making another record that her record label hates like UV. I wonder how they liked this album, actually. Did Jack's name sell them on it before she showed them anything, or was the wait we all suffered caused bc of the label being dickheads and not wanting to allow her her freedom to put out this record? Hmmmm the things I think about

I believe that the label knew the amazing potential NFR! had as AOTY but they never imagines the amount of success Billie would have, so business-wise, the best choice was to push back NFR to give both albums a momentum

8nl2OpX.png

Here the only decade-end album list that I've found that includes Honeymoon on it. Curiously, it does also include Paradise, Ultraviolence and Born to die, but NFR isn't on the compilation.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/the-200-best-albums-of-the-2010s/

posted 2 months ago.

That’s what this list is about. Real people. Real collections. It’s comprised of records that Discogs users have either bought or want to buy, and it paints a fascinating picture of popular music post-2010. 

You don’t need some kid two years out of college, or a jaded critic with 40 years of reviews under their belt, telling you what’s worthwhile. That’s your job. Have fun. 

Seems very credible.

c8bdba627871bea1f779b788d8a22cea.gif

"... merely giving my two cents"
If you left-click on "view replies" (52xx of them) it turns out you're the top responder for this thread. Just saying that's more than "2 cents".

"gloat about ..."

year/decade end list is news (one of the things I come to LB for) and not a *random* GP opinion. 

"Also bold of you to assume..."

While I agree more people haven't bought the album than have, I think the proper metric for discussion on "liking NFR relatively" is going to be sales. If it ends up selling more than UV or HM, that will say something much more meaningful than a bunch of internet posts do, even if the sales go against my particular opinion of what her best album is.

Comments not part of a response:

The only thing that makes me "sad" about NFR's critical acclaim is that it may make it (even) less likely she'll do her leaks/unreleased retrospective that she suggested she'd do (way back when, was it LFL era?).

Also I wish people would talk more specifically about NFR production attrocities (I mean name songs with timestamp specific-ness), so I'd know what they're talking about. It's not as self-evident to me. I also wish people would talk more about her AOTY competitors and what she's competing against. Seems like a strong set of contenders, but very diverse in the sense of why they are strong. 

1. It's just an expression you don't have to be so literal. Giving my two cents = giving my opinion. This is exactly what I've been doing as the top participator in this dying thread, but go off.

2. I guess we'll see. But so far I'm pretty sure the only album it will outsell will be 'Honeymoon', and maybe, just maybe, 'Lust for Life'. Wasn't it like two or three weeks ago all of her albums were charting again... and higher than 'NFR'? Also, I would never equate sales with quality music, but here you are.

3. Most of my 1102407014 posts on this thread have been about the atrocious production and mastering of this record. But hey, I guess when you find my posts boring and repetitive that's easy to overlook. I wouldn't blame you for this.

4. Lastly, this sounds like I'm being accused of participating in a discussion? I mean I understand that I'm pretty camped in my opinions about this record, so everyone by the way. What I don't get is that there are people that are questioning the validity of what I'm saying when it's just that: opinions. I don't know how many times I've said it but I guess I'll say it again: I'm very passionate about Lana, I'm not trying to convince anyone or change people's mind over this record. I'm just sharing my thoughts and opinions on 'NFR'.

Have a good day though!

Seems very credible.

I think you missed the most important quote of this article:

"Here’s the thing: Critics are charged with constantly trying to find something new, something to champion. Mainstream music will always find an audience, so a critic feels an imperative to explore the fringes. At the same time, there are millions of people who are perfectly capable of exploring those same fringes, sorting through the crap and putting together a stellar record collection.

That’s what this list is about. Real people. Real collections. It’s comprised of records that Discogs users have either bought or want to buy, and it paints a fascinating picture of popular music post-2010."

A list that has in its top 50: three Kendrick Lamar albums, all three of Tame Impala's albums, Born To Die & Ultraviolence, AM, I Love You Honeybear, both The Suburbs and Reflektor , El CaminoBrothers, Blond, Salad days, King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard, two Jack White albums. That seems pretty reliable to me.

By the way weren't you championing NFR! has her best release like the day after its release especially after Pitchfork made their decade end list official very soon after? (almost to soon, but hey)

tenor.gif

what wait? the wait was created by lana being a mess and wanting to release songs when the album wasn’t even close to being finished yet

Given the fact that Doin' Time was added on last minute and wasn't intended for the album, I could see them wanting to fuck with her album, though. That's the wait I'm talking about. Lana said in March that the album was finished, with Doin' Time coming out in May.

I think if it was up to her, she could've put the finished album out in April or May. Doin' Time makes sense on the album where she placed it in the tracklist with the previous track saying "running out of time" so it is still cohesive, but still, it wasn't necessary to add DT to the album, especially with the fact that she released Hope in January and with the album being finished by March and she'd said it was finished. Of course she says things all the time that aren't necessarily true, but even then, it could've been out and it seemed like she was ready to put it out way before Aug 30

It's not like Interscope is known to be a dickwad when it comes to releases anyway i mean... Here's a real video straight from Interscope

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

That's user list based on sales and what not. It doesn't count.

Honeymoon and Lust For Life still haven't made it onto any publication's decade-end list. 

tenor.gif

What has Honeymoon done to deserve its treatment?? Honeymoon is very good and very cohesive. A while back I read a very good analysis about Honeymoon here in the forum. I think it was written by Artdecodelrey but I'm not 100% sure and Honeymoon is about isolation and escapism if I remember correctly.. Honeymoon is actually  on none of the end-decade lists and Lana barely sings song from this album live. Has she even sang one song of HM on the NFR! tour??? I'm glad NFR! made it on some end decade list and get praised by the critics but  Honeymoon deserves a better treatment....

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Here the only decade-end album list that I've found that includes Honeymoon on it. Curiously, it does also include Paradise, Ultraviolence and Born to die, but NFR isn't on the compilation.

https://blog.discogs.com/en/the-200-best-albums-of-the-2010s/

Honeymoon sweetie you'll always be #1 in my heart  :poordat:

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

Lana needs to move fast and leverage her newfound industry clout for more budget and artistic freedom. She's now at the point in her career where she shouldn't argue with the Interscope about trivial stuff such as singles, covers, tracklist, and where her album release shouldn't be put on hold for some teenage brat. If she plans to stay with the Interscope, the least she can do is stop selling herself short. It also wouldn't be a bad idea if she fired her current manager.

tenor.gif

I guess it depends on the Grammy. Hopefully she wins. Billie should not. Nor should Lizzo too many lawsuits. Sweetener was better than TYN which Is full of fillers.

Wish her team does more Grammy promo tho. Taylor swift is doing that job lul.

Also quick qn,does winning a grammy give u like a royalty fee or something? Every year? Or like a free pass or special benefits..just curious.

The Grammys are 85% popularity/bribery/campaigning contest, 10% being in the right place at the right time (luck), and 5% art/quality music. Lana is not winning and it shouldn't matter. Two big noms and a performance should be enough to put her in good graces with the label and allow her to record new album in peace.

Anyhow, Slant becomes 12th publication to name NFR as the best album of 2019.

HQeT99M.png

https://www.slantmagazine.com/features/the-25-best-albums-of-2019/5/

tenor.gif

To that delusional user that said the Discogs decade end list was only about sales, well it's not. I assume this person is unfamiliar with Discogs and their lists.

It's actually a combination of sales (and re-sales) of course, but also most searched/sought after records and also users' reviews of said records. 

My best guess as to why NFR! didn't make the list and other albums released in 2019 did: maybe it was either not one of the best selling records this year and/or most acclaimed or searched by users of Discogs? Who knows. Users don't echo each other as much as critics do, I presume. I've looked and the only album that did was the Billie Eillish record.

tenor.gif

Why are we still discussing that irrelevant Discogs user list that has multiple Adele, Coldplay and Ed Sheeran albums on it?

And btw. only one album from 2019 (Billie Eilish) has made it onto that trash list. Nobody cares.

tenor.gif

I see that some people here are now deciding of the validity of lists that reflect opinions of the public at large (actual fans for the most part), while at the same breath revere media that have in the past wrote countless of trash articles. reviews and thinkpieces about Lana. But just because in the past three months they have backtracked and somewhat soften up to her and they happen to reflect your so called opinion, or thoughts, about one single album; years of public shaming, relentless hatred and criticism is all of a sudden forgotten or excused.

The mental gymnastics some of you guys go through. Very impressive. As for the rest, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with most of Taylor Swift's speech about Lana last night.

This thread cannot get more anymore ridiculous and nonsensical.

tenor.gif

I guess it depends on the Grammy. Hopefully she wins. Billie should not. Nor should Lizzo too many lawsuits. Sweetener was better than TYN which Is full of fillers.

Wish her team does more Grammy promo tho. Taylor swift is doing that job lul.

Also quick qn,does winning a grammy give u like a royalty fee or something? Every year? Or like a free pass or special benefits..just curious.

It's not up to Lana's team but her label (interscope), who is spending the budget on campaigning for Billie Eilish. She received the budget to make more music videos (hence ilomilo video) and there were big billboards plastered all over central park promoting her.

the Grammy's are so weird... some years they play it safe and give it to superstars like Bruno Mars or Taylor Swift, then other years they give it to indie artists Arcade Fire or Beck. 

if they want to play it safe, they'll give it to Billie or maybe Ariana

if they want to take a risk, maybe Lana has a chance but they'll probably be getting backlash

TjRQ.gifLczfoG7.gifTjRQ.gif