Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

I know right. I was checking the numbers the other day and wow... hope at 61M???

I even think that at some point, hope had more streams (or almost) than MAC! But when the album was released, MAC got more popular again and got a huge amount of streams (I hope I’m not making this up but I’m pretty sure I’m not)

I'm actually so shocked by hope is a dangerous thing...'s streaming numbers. That is insane!!!!

Yeah, it was quite unexpected that Lana got so much success with this song, but actually, it was her most streamed one on Spotify for almost 5 months!

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

I even think that at some point, hope had more streams than MAC! But when the album was released, MAC got more popular again and got a huge amount of streams

Yeah, it was quite unexpected that Lana got so much success with this song, but actually, it was her most streamed one on Spotify for almost 5 months!

it's what she deserves! talent won!  :hooker:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I even think that at some point, hope had more streams (or almost) than MAC! But when the album was released, MAC got more popular again and got a huge amount of streams (I hope I’m not making this up but I’m pretty sure I’m not)

yes, and MAC was sent to radios recently so yeah

Wow i'd forgotten about that 

Pretty accepted theory that the single releases of MAC and VB were pushed forward so she could cancel the Israel concert quietly though, no?

Jackoff posted this https://www.instagram.com/p/BmFCJi3lz5j/on August 5th and Lana posted this https://www.instagram.com/p/BmJiNbtgi2o/ on August 6th and then this on August 16th https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmjp09DAJFo/ so no I think they were gearing up for the release but they clearly had no plans after releasing those songs  :rip:

NFR! Is like if you asked a machine to make a Lana Del Rey record

Needs more daddy issues :creep:

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

FG, thank you. I appreciate it. Your ideas also seem like "weird shit" to me sometimes.

I don't know what your specific beliefs are in multiple areas, but I think if you knew me well, you'd be surprised to find that I'm not like you appear to currently conceive of me.

I know a great deal about Celtic religions and folklore, the British "fairy faith," the work of Ronald Hutton, Cernunnos, contemporary Wicca movements, the work of Margaret Murray, Carlo Ginzburg, W.Y. Evans-Wentz, Yeats and Lady Gregory, Carl Jung and so on. Maybe none of that means anything to you; I don't know. 

May the forces of the universe grace us all with open-mindedness, broad tolerance, an understanding of individual differences and the ability to not jump to conclusions.

V.  

FG, thank you. I appreciate it. Your ideas also seem like "weird shit" to me sometimes.

I don't know what your specific beliefs are in multiple areas, but I think if you knew me well, you'd be surprised to find that I'm not like you appear to currently conceive of me.

I know a great deal about Celtic religions and folklore, the British "fairy faith," the work of Ronald Hutton, Cernunnos, contemporary Wicca movements, the work of Margaret Murray, Carlo Ginzburg, W.Y. Evans-Wentz, Yeats and Lady Gregory, Carl Jung and so on. Maybe none of that means anything to you; I don't know. 

May the forces of the universe grace us all with open-mindedness, broad tolerance, an understanding of individual differences and the ability to not jump to conclusions.

V.  

Verty, i think youve mentioned some cool ideas.  I also am a folklore enthusiast and I love poetry and wondering about archetypes and finding the real magic in our world.  Tho I have to say, an interest in the fairy faith, cernunnos, and wicca seems to clash with what i (perhaps wrongfully) assumed was your downward looking view of "provincial" common folk stuff.  These beliefs and practices - though taken up by some of the aristocracy as a passing interest or something to be capitalized off of - come from the common folk and those who live close to nature (i.e. not in a capital city).  I believe these concepts are derived, largely, from the folk religions of pre-christian europeans, who may be closest to some idea of "indigenous" europeans.  This brings me back to my original point ab the sacred nature of, well, nature, and the sustainability that comes with a natural lifestyle - such as food sovereignty, leisure time, a less elitist view of success, wildness, freedom, coexisting with living things, etc etc.  To my mind, those born to wealthy families with the privilege to write about and make money / status off of the folk beliefs of common people are not true representatives of the beliefs themselves.  Something something, history is written by the oppressors, something something.  This is why I will always rep the underdog, underclass, oppressed, marginalized viewpoints, directly.  Not the elite few who choose to interpret these viewpoints for an aristocratic audience.

It does seem to me that the interests youve mentioned would not be mutually exclusive with an elitist or a white supremacist worldview.  It's hard to discuss the modern history of the British Isles and its inhabitants without taking a long hard look at imperialism and colonization and its effects on nature based societies around the globe.  It's hard to discuss the works of the likes of Jung and Yeats without recognizing the impact their ideas had on rising far-right fascist movements of their time.  Not to mention the inherently prejudiced and discriminatory nature of the psychology / psychiatry movement and how it has historically targeted/victimized/tortured/discredited marginalized groups including people of color, LGBT folks, independent women, anti-capitalists, religious or political minorities, etc etc.

I believe respectful discussion of differing beliefs is possible, but if these beliefs seem to stem from an overarching ideology of supremacy (be it racial, spiritual, financial, sexual, mental), it's hard for me to take those beliefs as "respectful" in the first place.  Any ideology based upon subjugation of others or some supposed "validity" of elitist hierarchy is not one I can align myself with or take very seriously, tbh.  Regardless, I was genuine in my apology for being cruel, bc I want to embody the values I seek most on this earthly plane, and that's not necessarily it.  No, I dont know you and I don't know where you stand on things, but from your words throughout this and the NFR pre-release thread, I've picked up on things it seems you hold as underlying premises to reality that I strongly oppose -- such as the idea that western civilization is the peak of human society.

In other words, I prefer to listen to the fae directly rather than read about them second hand from someone with the privilege to make those studies their life's purpose instead of being forced to work for their masters.  Nature is sacred.  Real Magic exists for those who see and those who don't.  The common folk have the actual knowledge because they experience it firsthand, and it's always been this way before the elitist overlord class stole all common land and forced us to work for their benefit.

And (to make this on topic) it's not the same as Lana and her friends appropriating and bastardizing Hindu mudras or laying white feminist curses on Trump.  (tho im sure you agree with me on that).

When Lana sings "back in the garden, we're getting high now, because we're older"  all i can think of is  the privatization of land via colonialism and how only rich landowners have access to beautiful gardens that used to exist for all people.  Oh how I dream of getting high in a common wild garden as a spiritual native of the earth, and not in a Norman Rockwell private suburb where some asshole in a polo shirt and khaki shorts is gonna yell at me to get out of his backyard.  Thank you for listening.