Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

So now that we’ve fully digested the album and etc, which songs are your most played and which are your least, not meant to be a ranking, but then again I guess it could be lol,

Most played is Love Song and least is TNBAR.

Mfhp.gif

I remember thinking How To Disappear had been ruined when I first heard the album version but love love love love it now. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

i LOVED it live when she sang at Apple and i was so excited and ready to bawl my eyes out to the final version but i absolutely wanted to k*ll m*self when i finally heard it :crying2: ... like c'mon Lana???? the beautiful emotional ballad turned into a fucking Christmas song??????????? what the hell happened? same goes to HIAB, i was so excited to hear it but i found it so repetitive and disappointing that she didn't even bother writing a different second verse. it's still okay but it's a shame cuz it could've been so much better.

this is overall how i feel about NFR. the album is good but there's always something missing and it kinda ruined my experience. i barely listen to it :rip: it sucks that there's no stans who bother to re-work a few of the songs like little monsters did for ARTPOP. i would've listened the shit out of them

i LOVED it live when she sang at Apple and i was so excited and ready to bawl my eyes out to the final version but i absolutely wanted to k*ll m*self when i finally heard it :crying2: ... like c'mon Lana???? the beautiful emotional ballad turned into a fucking Christmas song??????????? what the hell happened? same goes to HIAB, i was so excited to hear it but i found it so repetitive and disappointing that she didn't even bother writing a different second verse. it's still okay but it's a shame cuz it could've been so much better.

this is overall how i feel about NFR. the album is good but there's always something missing and it kinda ruined my experience. i barely listen to it :rip: it sucks that there's no stans who bother to re-work a few of the songs like little monsters did for ARTPOP. i would've listened the shit out of them

The IG livestream version of HTD >>>> HTD released version. Periodttttt

How can you make Artpop better?

Mfhp.gif

There is a member, I forgot their name (sorry!!!) but they re worked a couple songs and they sound amazing. For example Love Song. I was shook when I first heard their version. I think it’s like a tour concept. Not exactly sure.

This album still is seriously something else y’all holy shit.

Inb4 that MDHX or whatever person comes in here to post a paragraph or two as to why they think the album sucks for the hundredth time.

But yes’m this album, it’s gorgeous.

the lack of appreciation for HTD.... wow. The sleigh bells MAKE the song so good. It’s like it’s trying to be happy even tho it’s melancholic af. The sleigh bells >>>>>>

I know!!!! Its sooo good. The instrumental bridge is beautiful, the sleigh bells are beautiful, the whole thing is just beautiful <3 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

I want a NFR extended release so bad with more tracks <3 Never gonna happen but a boy can dream. 

According to my Last.FM I have 4493 plays of NFR songs :D but I think thats out by about 1000 because The Greatest seems to randomly scrobble like 20 times from one listen... 

I just realised that HIAB is the follow up to Love song.

“In the backseat I’m your baby, we go fast” > “Don’t call me a taxi, sitting in your sweatshirt, crying in the backseat”. In Love song, they’re driving and in love but in HIAB, it is implied that the guy stopped the car to call a taxi for her because their relationship is falling apart and he doesn’t feel the same anymore so he doesn’t want to keep driving with her, while she’s still in the backseat, where she used to be from the beginning of their relation.

Also the line “do you want me or do you not? I heard one thing (in Love song), now I’m hearing another” is another indicator that both songs could be linked

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

Serious question: do some people actually think HIADTFAWLMTHBIHI is among Lana's best songwriting? I wouldn't call it bad but there are parts (the opening in particular) that just feel too clunky and awkward for me. It sounds like a first draft that was never revisited. It's honestly not even top tier NFR for me. I will say I love the delivery of the outro though.

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Serious question: do some people actually think HIADTFAWLMTHBIHI is among Lana's best songwriting? I wouldn't call it bad but there are parts (the opening in particular) that just feel too clunky and awkward for me. It sounds like a first draft that was never revisited. It's honestly not even top tier NFR for me. I will say I love the delivery of the outro though.

My opinion on Hope is that it’s probably her most personal song and the one that reveals the most about her (while still being cryptic enough). A magazine (Rolling Stone? Not sure which one) told that it was the song that described best what it was like to be LDR.

So, best songwriting, maybe not, but most revealing?

Inb4 that MDHX or whatever person comes in here to post a paragraph or two as to why they think the album sucks for the hundredth time.

I literally just noticed you namedropped me, thanks for thinking of me in these dull and dark times, sweetie. That's how dead this thread is (and also LB right now). You can seethe.  :sluttybunny:

Also, in the grand scheme of things (and Lana's entire discography) and almost seven months post release: 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!' still is very middle of the road and almost entirely forgettable. It's overrated for sure, I'd call it her worst, but 'Lust for Life' exists. In that case, it's second to last. But if I were to rank all her albums solely based on production and mastering, on 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!' Lana has really hit a new low.

I just realised that HIAB is the follow up to Love song.

“In the backseat I’m your baby, we go fast” > “Don’t call me a taxi, sitting in your sweatshirt, crying in the backseat”. In Love song, they’re driving and in love but in HIAB, it is implied that the guy stopped the car to call a taxi for her because their relationship is falling apart and he doesn’t feel the same anymore so he doesn’t want to keep driving with her, while she’s still in the backseat, where she used to be from the beginning of their relation.

Also the line “do you want me or do you not? I heard one thing (in Love song), now I’m hearing another” is another indicator that both songs could be linked

This sequence, that's heartbreaking .

UV/Honeymoon

I literally just noticed you namedropped me, thanks for thinking of me in these dull and dark times, sweetie. That's how dead this thread is (and also LB right now). You can seethe.  :sluttybunny:

Also, in the grand scheme of things (and Lana's entire discography) and almost seven months post release: 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!' still is very middle of the road and almost entirely forgettable. It's overrated for sure, I'd call it her worst, but 'Lust for Life' exists. In that case, it's second to last. But if I were to rank all her albums solely based on production and mastering, on 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!' Lana has really hit a new low.

the fact that they never got rid of that black bar on the cover on streaming services..

Oh hell naw why did you say that, I just checked it and now I feel so anxious  :defeated:

It goes to show Lana literally gives 0 fucks about her career anymore.

Hell, even leaks can't keep the fandom alive at this point.