Photo

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

• Please log in to reply
6438 replies to this topic

Poll: Norman Fucking Rockwell! (659 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell (246 votes [7.17%])

Percentage of vote: 7.17%

2. Mariners Apartment Complex (221 votes [6.44%])

Percentage of vote: 6.44%

3. Venice Bitch (338 votes [9.85%])

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

4. Fuck It, I Love You (224 votes [6.53%])

Percentage of vote: 6.53%

5. Doin' Time (167 votes [4.87%])

Percentage of vote: 4.87%

6. Love Song (263 votes [7.67%])

Percentage of vote: 7.67%

7. Cinnamon Girl (360 votes [10.50%])

Percentage of vote: 10.50%

8. How to Disappear (133 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

9. California (372 votes [10.85%])

Percentage of vote: 10.85%

10. The Next Best American Record (140 votes [4.08%])

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

11. The Greatest (319 votes [9.30%])

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

12. Bartender (259 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

13. Happiness is a Butterfly (262 votes [7.64%])

Percentage of vote: 7.64%

14. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it (126 votes [3.67%])

Percentage of vote: 3.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#6421 OFFLINE   PARADIXO

PARADIXO

aaron

• Moderators
  • 4,158 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Favourite LDR Song:Change

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:50 PM

isn’t the lyric in california “i heard the war was over if you really choose, the one in and around you”?

yes

🏆Daddy of the Year 2019 - Self Loathing Poet Award for Best Blogger 2020 - Daddy of the Year 2020🏆

#6422 OFFLINE   Neptune

Neptune

Dance w you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

isn’t the lyric in california “i heard the war was over if you really choose, the one in and around you”?

yes. love this. 

yes

totally xerox'd this apparently lmao Ru7IbWE.gif

Some interesting metacritic data on whether some fans (i.e. not just critics) prefer NFR to older LDR.

User scores are pretty flat from BTD thru HM, but there is a discontinuity between LFL and her previous work (noticeably lower, but not by a lot) and a discontinuity between NFR and her earlier work (noticeably higher and by a more substantial-looking amount). Not that I know exactly what the user scores mean, but it's consistent with some fans, or some alternate fanbase, preferring NFR over older work (i.e. user scores of NFR 9.1 (8000+ ratings) as vs. 8.3 (about 1700 ratings) for BTD), and some fans not preferring LFL over the same (which I guess is less unexpected). I'm not really in either group.

With respect to NFR "production" that people have been divided on of late, the actual production is defined best by Jack in an Atlantic Interview he gave where he described NFR as a "bizarre folk album" and among other things describes how he and Lana searched for a specific sound. Once they found that sound they locked down the equipment:

"That album was made in one specific room, with one specific piano, a very specific 12-string guitar, very specific drum kit, very specific patch on the Mellotron that went through a very specific tape echo. We landed on a couple sounds that really sounded like this thing we had thought of, and then we put a helmet on all of them: Nobody touch this drum kit. Nobody move the mic from the piano."

In my opinion, if you are in the delusional minority that is put off by NFR (as opposed to the delusional majority that loves it), I don't think it's only the production throwing some of the long-time Lana stans off. It might possibly be the "orational" rather than emotional (torch) singing. The former is more like a folk stance. Not that she sings bad on NFR (or non-emotionally, as HIADT and FIILY are still emotional songs), but just that she sings differently and more in line with Cohen, Dylan, Reed. Or maybe we should be comparing her to Dido or Regina Spektor, production-wise (and singing-wise)?

This is actually something real interesting to look into mm yeah.

• Veinsineon likes this

stream: 

Spoiler

#6423 OFFLINE   MXDH

MXDH

Almost certified "Best Taste"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Fan Since:Summer of 2012

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:17 PM

That wasn't me! lol I didn't buy NFR! :hooker:

I think you're right to a degree. Anyways, I saw on your profile that you like Breathe Deeper by Tame Impala. I genuinely can't get enough of that track, easily my favorite from TSR followed closely by On Track.

This isn't the right thread, but 'The Slow Rush' is a really amazing album. Not my favourite Tame record, nor his strongest if I'm being honest. But after a five year wait, this is a breath of fresh air and I'm really digging the groovy approach on this record.  :flutter:

• drugsandroses likes this

#6424 OFFLINE   MXDH

MXDH

Almost certified "Best Taste"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Fan Since:Summer of 2012

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:27 PM

In my opinion, if you are in the delusional minority that is put off by NFR (as opposed to the delusional majority that loves it), I don't think it's only the production throwing some of the long-time Lana stans off. It might possibly be the "orational" rather than emotional (torch) singing. The former is more like a folk stance. Not that she sings bad on NFR (or non-emotionally, as HIADT and FIILY are still emotional songs), but just that she sings differently and more in line with Cohen, Dylan, Reed. Or maybe we should be comparing her to Dido or Regina Spektor, production-wise (and singing-wise)?

Maybe, just maybe, 'NFR!' happens to be Lana's least Lana Del Rey-esque album and is simply her most "palatable" and least controversial album compared to her past work. Also, musically speaking it speaks to a broader audience, like you mentioned a lot of other iconic artists and I do think that her work on 'NFR!' resembles a lot of what you've mentioned stylistically speaking. We're far from the trip-hop/baroque pop sound of 'Born To Die', the raw rock-ish/blues-y atmospheric sound of 'Ultraviolence' and the cinematic/classical music meet muddy trap beats of 'Honeymoon'. 'NFR!' is very, for a lack of a better word, "generic" compared to these albums, it certainly is her least avant-garde work thus far (besides maybe 'Venice Bitch' with its long instrumental outro). It's not a surprise to me how well this album was received by the very same critics that weren't so gentle and appreciative of Lana's early work.

It's not a bad record by all means, it's just pretty beige for Lana and the production just happen to be very hit or miss with all her fans. I've seen a lot of discussion on here as well as on Reddit and even Instagram, and there were people on both sides (stans and detractors of 'NFR!') that weren't too open to the idea of Lana going back to work with Jack Antonoff. I for one would be thrilled if she would either go back to work with Dan Auerbach (seriously listen to his work on Yola's 'Walk Through Fire' album the production is just superb, even of not for the production this album is really beautiful. His Grammys noms for best producer this year was well earned I think) or just work with a someone she's never worked with before.

• Sugar Venom, UltraHeroin and meh like this

#6425 OFFLINE   FallingCherry

FallingCherry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:45 PM

I know right. I was checking the numbers the other day and wow... hope at 61M???

I even think that at some point, hope had more streams (or almost) than MAC! But when the album was released, MAC got more popular again and got a huge amount of streams (I hope I’m not making this up but I’m pretty sure I’m not)

I'm actually so shocked by hope is a dangerous thing...'s streaming numbers. That is insane!!!!

Yeah, it was quite unexpected that Lana got so much success with this song, but actually, it was her most streamed one on Spotify for almost 5 months!
  • PARADIXO and ArtDecoDelRey like this

#6426 OFFLINE   daphnedinkley

daphnedinkley

lust for life demo stan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:47 PM

I even think that at some point, hope had more streams than MAC! But when the album was released, MAC got more popular again and got a huge amount of streams

Yeah, it was quite unexpected that Lana got so much success with this song, but actually, it was her most streamed one on Spotify for almost 5 months!

it's what she deserves! talent won!  :hooker:

• Marius12 and FallingCherry like this

#6427 OFFLINE   FallingCherry

FallingCherry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:49 PM

it's what she deserves! talent won! :hooker:

LOL my hesitating and unsure a*s wasn’t quick enough to edit before your post

#6428 OFFLINE   daphnedinkley

daphnedinkley

lust for life demo stan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted 21 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

LOL my hesitating and unsure a*s wasn’t quick enough to edit before your post

:oic:  your secret is safe with me bb

• FallingCherry likes this

#6429 OFFLINE   Marius12

Marius12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationPol.

Posted 21 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

I know right. I was checking the numbers the other day and wow... hope at 61M???

People really need hope huh...😭
  • PARADIXO, heroinmelodies and ArtDecoDelRey like this

giphy.gif

#6430 OFFLINE   PARADIXO

PARADIXO

aaron

• Moderators
  • 4,158 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • Favourite LDR Song:Change

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:09 PM

I even think that at some point, hope had more streams (or almost) than MAC! But when the album was released, MAC got more popular again and got a huge amount of streams (I hope I’m not making this up but I’m pretty sure I’m not)

yes, and MAC was sent to radios recently so yeah

• heroinmelodies, FallingCherry and ArtDecoDelRey like this

🏆Daddy of the Year 2019 - Self Loathing Poet Award for Best Blogger 2020 - Daddy of the Year 2020🏆

#6431 OFFLINE   Veinsineon

Veinsineon

Head Venice Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:04 AM

where's hope  :rip:

standalone and too serious for the album like she said it was
  • daisy fresh witch likes this

#6432 OFFLINE   Nobody

Nobody

take it doen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted Yesterday, 05:11 AM

Wow i'd forgotten about that 

Pretty accepted theory that the single releases of MAC and VB were pushed forward so she could cancel the Israel concert quietly though, no?

Jackoff posted this https://www.instagra.../p/BmFCJi3lz5j/on August 5th and Lana posted this https://www.instagra.../p/BmJiNbtgi2o/ on August 6th and then this on August 16th https://www.instagra.../p/Bmjp09DAJFo/ so no I think they were gearing up for the release but they clearly had no plans after releasing those songs  :rip:

#6433 OFFLINE   Veinsineon

Veinsineon

Head Venice Bitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:17 AM

NFR! Is like if you asked a machine to make a Lana Del Rey record
  • Sugar Venom, heroinmelodies, takeitdoen and 7 others like this

#6434 OFFLINE   Foxglove

Foxglove

fucking hot, hot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 AM

@Vertimus im sorry hunty, all of the goddess's creatures deserve love, even you.  i think you have some weird opinions, but i shouldnt be so cruel.  please forgive me

• Veinsineon, MXDH and pincurlsandpearls like this

#6435 OFFLINE   Foxglove

Foxglove

fucking hot, hot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:49 AM

this is the realest shit ive ever heard

• MXDH and RormanNockwell like this

#6436 OFFLINE   prettywhenicry

prettywhenicry

NFR!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Fan Since:February 2012

Posted Yesterday, 06:07 AM

I think NFR and UV are almost equal to me now.
Both have a lot of highs and some lows.
  • paradisetropico, heroinmelodies and drugsandroses like this

original.gif

#6437 OFFLINE   13bitches

13bitches

Justice for SparkleJumpropeNoose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • LocationLake Flaccid
  • Fan Since:2016

Posted Yesterday, 06:45 AM

Needs more daddy issues :creep:
  • movebaby and daisy fresh witch like this

"Gonna leave you with my good side"

#6438 OFFLINE   Neptune

Neptune

Dance w you

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,625 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Maybe its bc the cover's nautical, but does anyone else get Titanic film vibes from the record? just comes to mind. 

Also, sub off topic but HM. HM

• pincurlsandpearls likes this

stream: 

Spoiler

#6439 OFFLINE   Vertimus

Vertimus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted Today, 02:21 AM

Test for Elle.

2 user(s) are reading this topic