Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

something tells me that jack's files are far more secure than rick's. I think that the LFL instrumentals came out about 7 or 8 months after the album did, so about the same time out we are from nfr

I was about to run my mouth, but I've been told they are circulating.

California has randomly grown so much on me, I'm in love  :deadbanana:

Every once in a while, a song of hers I never really "noticed" before engulfs me and I wonder why I didn't love it so much sooner

The title track starts to grow on me. At first, I liked the track but after a few weeks, it was my least favorite along with How to disappear(HTD grew on me as well and it such a dreamy track).  Today was the first time I wanted to listen to the title track as a standalone and not during an entire album listening. The Chorus is still a little bit boring to me (except the "as you color me blue" part) but the outro is still gorgeous. Love the horns and the strings in the beginning even the intro is too quiet. Sometimes I didn't notice that it started oops.

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

The title track starts to grow on me. At first, I liked the track but after a few weeks, it was my least favorite along with How to disappear(HTD grew on me as well and it such a dreamy track).  Today was the first time I wanted to listen to the title track as a standalone and not during an entire album listening. The Chorus is still a little bit boring to me (except the "as you color me blue" part) but the outro is still gorgeous. Love the horns and the strings in the beginning even the intro is too quiet. Sometimes I didn't notice that it started oops.

I still haven't been able to take this song seriously because "As you color me blue" makes me think of "Smurfs"... lol

:facepalm:

giphy.gif

Honestly the piano might sound like complete and utter shit and the muffled quality of the vocals might not be it for me, but besides the "Goddamn man-child, you fucked me so good that I almost said I love you" cringy lyrics, this might be my favourite song off the album.

I see it from a similar perspective... Bartender is somehow a beautiful way to remember why the narrative of the album was optimist on the first songs of it, an emotional reset and a reminder that the world yet holds tons of mysteries and wonders to admire and be intrigued about. The last three songs (being LFA in my tracklist the last one) sound for me as lullabies, beautiful and sincere songs that try to comfort the listener -and Lana herself- after what's been an intense experience, yet keeping beating the self consciousness that's maybe the vital constant on the album. 

It's truly amazing how just removing three songs -the three ones that weren't intended to be on it since the beggining (as Lana stated on the early pre-release instances that the album contained 11 songs)-, and adding LFA as a bonus track, has changed inmensely the way I can approach to the personal statement and the whole aesthetic Lana was going for with NFR. I can say now, after many, many listens, that I absolutely love and feel on a deep level what she has done with this project, and that it for sure marks an inflection point on what she is as an artist. 

I'm fairly sure either both or one of California and TNBAR were part of the original track-list - 

Lana said in interviews that she already had three songs for the album when she started working with Jack. 

This would be three of: 

- Bartender (she first mentioned in Jan 2018)

- Maybe Happiness is a Butterfly (she first mentioned in April 2018 - unsure if this was from working with Rick earlier or at the same time as Jack) 

- California (recorded in 2017) 

- TNBAR (Obviously written back in 2016, but who knows when the lyrics were re-written) 

Doin' Time was 100 percent on of the additions to the album, and the second was Fuck it I Love You as she said it was the last song recorded for the album.

For the third addition,  I'd be inclined to say The Greatest, given its reference to the California wildfires which were in Mid 2018. Love Song is also a possibility. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

Weird I can't quote!

@Veinsineon

I was sure she said somewhere that Hope is a Dangerous thing was the first she did with him... but maybe I've dreamt that :O

EDIT: I stand corrected - Lana + Jack say in the livestream where she sang NFR that Love song was first then hope. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

I'm fairly sure either both or one of California and TNBAR were part of the original track-list - 

Lana said in interviews that she already had three songs for the album when she started working with Jack. 

This would be three of: 

- Bartender (she first mentioned in Jan 2018)

- Maybe Happiness is a Butterfly (she first mentioned in April 2018 - unsure if this was from working with Rick earlier or at the same time as Jack) 

- California (recorded in 2017) 

- TNBAR (Obviously written back in 2016, but who knows when the lyrics were re-written) 

Doin' Time was 100 percent on of the additions to the album, and the second was Fuck it I Love You as she said it was the last song recorded for the album.

For the third addition,  I'd be inclined to say The Greatest, given its reference to the California wildfires which were in Mid 2018. Love Song is also a possibility. 

The third addition could be How to disappear and not The Greatest. The Instagram snippet she posted at the beginning of October 2018 of HTD (could be end of September as well ) sounded like a piano demo of the song. Lana did a Livestream at the end of October( if I remember correctly) in which there were right in the middle of making the beats of HTD.  So I guess they finished it in November and did FILLY after it. In the Livestream at the end of December, Lana said the album was finished. So I guess HTD, FILLY  and Doin Time. 

But in the end, it's only speculation and only Lana knows it :creepna: 

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

The third addition could be How to disappear and not The Greatest. The Instagram snippet she posted at the beginning of October 2018 of HTD (could be end of September as well ) sounded like a piano demo of the song. Lana did a Livestream at the end of October( if I remember correctly) in which there were right in the middle of making the beats of HTD.  So I guess they finished it in November and did FILLY after it. In the Livestream at the end of December, Lana said the album was finished. So I guess HTD, FILLY  and Doin Time. 

But in the end, it's only speculation and only Lana knows it :creepna:

What songs could be left out of the album now?

Mfhp.gif

california because it is NFR's Guns and Roses but without the good verses and instrumental

you'll get electric chair for this

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e