Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Why Hope and not FILLY?

iirc in late 2018, Lana said there was a song she would be putting out the following January. It was referred to as a stand-alone because it was “too serious for the record”. Then she drops Hope, which is a serious, energy and mood killing ballad. That seemed to be thrown onto the record last minute along with the other NFR era material

The third addition could be How to disappear and not The Greatest. The Instagram snippet she posted at the beginning of October 2018 of HTD (could be end of September as well ) sounded like a piano demo of the song. Lana did a Livestream at the end of October( if I remember correctly) in which there were right in the middle of making the beats of HTD.  So I guess they finished it in November and did FILLY after it. In the Livestream at the end of December, Lana said the album was finished. So I guess HTD, FILLY  and Doin Time. 

But in the end, it's only speculation and only Lana knows it :creepna:

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that. I do remember from the live stream that Cinnamon Girl and How to Disappear were written close together after something about a New York trip? But yeah you could be right as she said the album was finished with 9 tracks in September 2018, and then the Apple event was October, and yeah that live stream was beats for HTD. 

iirc in late 2018, Lana said there was a song she would be putting out the following January. It was referred to as a stand-alone because it was “too serious for the record”. Then she drops Hope, which is a serious, energy and mood killing ballad. That seemed to be thrown onto the record last minute along with the other NFR era material

But Hope is the song she said is both the start and finish of NFR - Lana said that even though it was only second song recorded she felt that the record was complete with it.... 

Why Hope and not FILLY?

I think FILLY and Doin' Time are the only two songs I could leave off the record.. Personally I might also leave Bartender off, but I recognise that its really important to the album. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

Interesting - I hadn't thought of that. I do remember from the live stream that Cinnamon Girl and How to Disappear were written close together after something about a New York trip? But yeah you could be right as she said the album was finished with 9 tracks in September 2018, and then the Apple event was October, and yeah that live stream was beats for HTD.

Is Lana had released the album in March we would've only gotten 9 tracks?

Mfhp.gif

Is Lana had released the album in March we would've only gotten 9 tracks?

im pretty sure she said 11 idrk tho I forgot which interview it was

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

01. Love Song

02. Mariners Apartment Complex

03. Cinnamon

04. Happiness Is A Butterfly

05. Bartender

06. How To Disappear

07. Norman Fucking Rockwell

08. California

09. Fuck It, I Love You

10. Venice Bitch

11. Looking For America

12. The Greatest

Will always be the NFR we got in my brain :oprah3:

This is how I listen to NFR...

01. Norman Fucking Rockwell
02. Love Song
03. Happiness Is A Butterfly
04. Cinnamon Girl
05. California
06. Venice Bitch
07. Fuck It, I Love You
08. Doin Time
09. Mariners Apartment Complex
10. The Greatest
11. Looking For America
12. Hope Is A Dangerous Thing...

Bonus Tracks:

13. Bartender
14. The Next Best American Record
15. How To Disappear

Now really would be a great time for Lana to drop Yosemite, she said it's her most positive and hopeful song and I think that sentiment would be well recieved especially following the acclaim of Norman... 

Also quite a nice moment in her career, ending Norman with Hope Is A Dangerous Thing and then dropping Yosemite.

Dunno, just a thought. I'd love something new from her right now. The poetry album would be great right now.

Really random but I had little to no sleep since like early yesterday*** more or less, and I dreamt that Lana was like, skipping along the solar system, planet to planet, kinda like Wipeout sized spheres, and that was part of The Greatest music video. That and rotating frames, bright nova starlights, and her sitting on the moon, touching the galaxies n causing supernovas. I kinda wanna see that happen now but lol 

UV/Honeymoon

im pretty sure she said 11 idrk tho I forgot which interview it was

Yeah it was 11 - I thought I was writing 11, but apparently I wrote 9.

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

I feel like either Venice Bitch or the Greatest would have been great album closers, and maybe HIADT could be a interlude almost like Coachella? The album is almost perfect but I feel like the track order could be better 

'Venice Bitch' would've legit been the perfect album closer, the long hazy musical outro and the album finishing with "If you weren't mine, I'd be jealous of your love" fading away. But, several choices were made on this album. :creep:

I'm fairly sure either both or one of California and TNBAR were part of the original track-list - 

Lana said in interviews that she already had three songs for the album when she started working with Jack. 

This would be three of: 

- Bartender (she first mentioned in Jan 2018)

- Maybe Happiness is a Butterfly (she first mentioned in April 2018 - unsure if this was from working with Rick earlier or at the same time as Jack) 

- California (recorded in 2017) 

- TNBAR (Obviously written back in 2016, but who knows when the lyrics were re-written) 

Doin' Time was 100 percent on of the additions to the album, and the second was Fuck it I Love You as she said it was the last song recorded for the album.

For the third addition,  I'd be inclined to say The Greatest, given its reference to the California wildfires which were in Mid 2018. Love Song is also a possibility. 

She had Best American Record, Hope and Bartender before they met.

Love song was the first they made together, and then she was so pleased with him that she chose to work on Hope with him.

Love song was the first they made together, and then she was so pleased with him that she chose to work on Hope with him.

P sure Hope was the second they did together. My guess is she had part of HIAB before they met considering Rick is credited as a co-writer

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

P sure Hope was the second they did together. My guess is she had part of HIAB before they met considering Rick is credited as a co-writer

She said she's been writing on and off Hope for over three years, and that (I don't remember the exact words) she never showed that song to anyone until she felt comfortable with Jack.

She also had California. 

I can imagine that she wanted to put TNBAR, Yosemite and Roses bloom for you on an album- She said at Amoeba LA in Summer 2017 that she will put out those two songs (i know she said as a standalone but TNBAR made into the album and TNBAR and Yosemite are sister tracks-the ying to the yang and she said that loves those tracks ). In December 2017 she posted again a video in which you could hear Roses bloom for you. She also had a writers' block in fall 2017. During the making of NFR! she decided to put Yosemite & Roses bloom not on the album because it wouldn't really fit or for whatever reason. Maybe she was thinking that California would fit into the album and decided to put it on NFR!.  I think she felt so comfortable with Jack that she showed him  Hope as PARADIXO said... but I think she wasn't planning to put it on an album before she meets Jack and felt so comfortable with him. Maybe she had parts of HIAB and decided to put in on NFR! as well and finished that song with Jack. But it is just speculation

And don't judge me...I have too much time to think about those things because of the quarantine

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2: