Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Hi I'm Foxglove and I have not listened to Norman Fucking Rockwell in 27 days.  I can't believe I used to be the person who would find myself curled up on the kitchen floor, headphones in, listening to Mariner's Apartment Complex in the dark.  I knew I was at a completely new low desperate point when I burned a CD of the potato quality leak of the album recorded on a phone by Cassette Girl and listened to it over and over in my car.......  I want to thank this group for helping me recognize that even though I've suffered from horrible taste in many dark times in my life, I have the power within to break this addiction.  I never thought I would come this far, and I'm making a solemn promise to myself and my loved ones to keep going and only listen to good music with actual meaning.  Thank you so much for your support

sometimes I think about the cinnamon girl snippets and im like "o its not that different from the final" then I actually play the snippets and BITCHHHH  :defeated: why would she make the bass and distortion so fucking quiet it was so good before and now it just feels flat 

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

sometimes I think about the cinnamon girl snippets and im like "o its not that different from the final" then I actually play the snippets and BITCHHHH  :defeated: why would she make the bass and distortion so fucking quiet it was so good before and now it just feels flat 

totally agree, before NFR came out I was listening all the time to a fanmade edit of the song made from the snippets and I was so excited for the song

when the real song came out I was so disappointed. I liked it less than the fanmade one

sometimes I think about the cinnamon girl snippets and im like "o its not that different from the final" then I actually play the snippets and BITCHHHH :defeated: why would she make the bass and distortion so fucking quiet it was so good before and now it just feels flat

I think it was just because she played it in her car and because of the phone quality tbh. I agree the bass sounded louder in the snippets but I don’t think it really was louder in reality

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJV_s0TZ18&t=1004s

Don't know if this review had been discussed yet here, but it's one of the few ones that doesn't adhere to the mainstream view about the album (the "incredible masterpiece" "second coming after Christ" thing), and it also highlights many of the flaws that some of us have highlighted about it since the beggining. The guys reviewing are very funny, and it's even funnier to see how pissed the people are in the comments about their review. Check it if you haven't, sure a nice thing to entertain to during quarantine ;)

8 days late sorry but those guys are goddam stupid. and not bc of this review (i watched it when they put it out) but they know nothing

8 days late sorry but those guys are goddam stupid. and not bc of this review (i watched it when they put it out) but they know nothing

I don't know them except from this review, so can't judge about how much they know or don't know about whatever, yet I found the review funny and somehow brave -as they went against all the big critics in the industry, who exposed exactly the opposite vision about the album-.

I think it was just because she played it in her car and because of the phone quality tbh. I agree the bass sounded louder in the snippets but I don’t think it really was louder in reality

Same, I think it was due to the distortion of playing it in her car and the microphone in her iPhone distorting it again.... 

Oh and something to add, I love that we got this album almost with everything she promised. There were no snippets or name drops of songs that didn't end up on it, or her talking about her fave songs on the album only to not have them on the album. I guess the only thing was the production of How to disappear changing, but that quickly grew on me anyway (though I'd love to hear a studio piano version). 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

It's so weird how the Submlime documentary Lana specifically recorded Doin' Time for has STILL not been publicly released... It only ever did film festival circuits (and received pretty poor reviews). I want to see it!

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

i can now officially say that i am a fan of "fuck it i love you". a bop! i love the surfy guitar and i'd love for her to experiment with that kind of instrumentation more in the future.

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

i can now officially say that i am a fan of "fuck it i love you". a bop! i love the surfy guitar and i'd love for her to experiment with that kind of instrumentation more in the future.

Tea! My fav song alongside TG and Mariners.

giphy.gif

So. Oddly enough and maybe im not alone in feeling like this but. Does anyone else remember how we literally waited over a year for the album? After all the snippets and early singles. It sorta feels the same w isolation. and I keep thinking about the places I felt magic w certain songs and all that like. This is a great record to store memories to, and I keep going back to the metaphorical islands of refuge the album trailer mentioned. Girl next door beach city Lana served.  

UV/Honeymoon

Doin' Time had the potential to get one of her biggest hits like Summertime Sadness. They sent it only to "alternative" radio stations if I remember correctly. They should have sent it to bigger radio stations as well. I talked to my best friend today and Doin' Time was playing in the background and she usually doesn't listen to Lana at all. This reminded me that I could have been a bigger hit than is it. But we know Lanas Team/ Management :scoff:

Lana doesn't need to have big hits on the radio but it would have been nice.  The only songs I hear on the radio of her are Summertime Sadness and Video Games (at least in my country). I don't listen to the radio that often but it would be nice if they would play a newer song from Lana even it's a sublime cover.

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2: