Photo

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

• Please log in to reply
6925 replies to this topic

Poll: Norman Fucking Rockwell! (697 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell (257 votes [7.16%])

Percentage of vote: 7.16%

2. Mariners Apartment Complex (234 votes [6.52%])

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

3. Venice Bitch (360 votes [10.03%])

Percentage of vote: 10.03%

4. Fuck It, I Love You (243 votes [6.77%])

Percentage of vote: 6.77%

5. Doin' Time (173 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

6. Love Song (271 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

7. Cinnamon Girl (372 votes [10.37%])

Percentage of vote: 10.37%

8. How to Disappear (138 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

9. California (388 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

10. The Next Best American Record (144 votes [4.01%])

Percentage of vote: 4.01%

11. The Greatest (334 votes [9.31%])

Percentage of vote: 9.31%

12. Bartender (272 votes [7.58%])

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

13. Happiness is a Butterfly (271 votes [7.55%])

Percentage of vote: 7.55%

14. hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it (132 votes [3.68%])

Percentage of vote: 3.68%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#6641 OFFLINE   LanaBoi

LanaBoi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Fan Since:Early 2012

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:50 AM

NFR! Album Timeline (from what we can infer based on what Lana and Jack have said and conclusions made on LB!) Just thought it would be nice to compile all the info here :)

Early 2016 / 2017 re-work

The Next Best American Record 

- originally written and recorded for Lust for Life in 2016

- NFR version likely rewritten/rerecorded in 2017 with "Topanga lyrics" (in an interview with Zane Lowe on July 12, 2017, Lana stated that TNBAR was "all about Topanga")

February - March 2017

California

- written/produced with Zach Dawes while Lana had her side-band from December 2016 to March 2017

- additional production with Jack in 2018/2019

Late 2017

Bartender 

- written/produced with Rick Nowels prior to Jack's involvement 

- mentioned by Lana to Pitchfork at the Grammys on January 28, 2018 - regarded as "a weird track...[that] doesn't belong to an album yet"

Happiness is a Butterfly

- Rick is credited as a writer, so we can conclude that HiaB was in its early stages while Lana was primarily working with Rick

January 2018

Love Song

- written the morning after the Clive Davis Party/the morning of the Grammys (January 28, 2018) with Jack in approx. an hour

- first song formally written for the album with Jack

Hope is a Dangerous Thing For a Woman Like Me to Have - But I Have it 

- journaled by Lana slowly over three years 

- same session as "Love Song" (January 28, 2018)

- recorded a cappella / subsequently accompanied by Jack on piano 

February - March 2018

Norman Fucking Rockwell

- confirmed as the third song written in an Instagram Live in the studio on September 4, 2019

- originally titled "Bird World"

- regarded as "the cliffnotes of the album" by Jack in an Instagram Live in the studio on September 4, 2019

Mariners Apartment Complex 

- confirmed as written at the same time/shortly after the title track in an Instagram Live in the studio on September 4, 2019

- referred to by Lana as what she hoped would be "at the heart of the record" in an Instagram Live on September 3, 2019

Venice Bitch

- confirmed as written at the same time/shortly after the title track and "Mariners Apartment Complex" in an Instagram Live in the studio on September 4, 2019

- title was used as a caption in an Instagram post of Lana's mural on a building in Venice, California on February 22, 2018

Happiness is a Butterfly

- first snippet posted by Lana on March 29, 2018

- marks Jack's involvement with the song since Lana and Rick starting it in 2017

October 2018

Cinnamon Girl

- some lyrics written on October 3/4 2018 after Lana was "fucked up in Boston" (Instagram Live, September 4, 2019) along with "How to Disappear"

How to Disappear

- some lyrics written on October 3/4 2018 after Lana was "fucked up in Boston" (Instagram Live, September 4, 2019) along with "Cinnamon Girl"

- references "Joe," a boxer who Lana is presumed to have had a relationship with

- regarded as "the last song recorded" for NFR! by Lana at the Apple Event in Brooklyn, NY on October 30, 2018

November - December 2018

The Greatest

- references Lana's comments on Kanye West's Instagram post from September 30, 2018

- must have been recorded AFTER "How to Disappear" considering Lana's activity and references, and comments on/in the song.

- potentially "the last song" at one stage of mastering, as Lana confirmed the album was "finished" and "mastered" in an Instagram Live on December 30, 2018.

March - April 2019

Doin' Time

- recorded for the Sublime doc. produced by Interscope

- in an interview with Vogue Korea in May 2019, Lana stated that NFR! has 13 tracks, which would make sense if Doin' Time were the last song tacked onto the record at the time

- in an interview with 104.3 MYfm on August 28, 2019, Lana revealed that she wanted to include Doin' Time on the tracklist next to "Venice Bitch" a few days after finishing the track; this makes sense as "Fuck It, I Love You," which appears next to "Venice Bitch" in the tracklist instead, had likely not been recorded yet.

May - June 2019

Fuck It, I Love You

- regarded as the "last song" recorded for the album in an interview with Annie Mac on August 22, 2019

- the version that appears on physical copies of the record was likely finished and mastered in May 2019, as Lana stated in an interview with KROQ on August 29, 2019, that she has to have finished a record 90 days before the release date so the vinyl can be pressed in time

- the version that appears in the music video was likely finished in June 2019, as Lana stated in an interview with KROQ on August 29, 2019, that she "was definitely done [the record] in June, just putting some final touches on it" - the final touches likely being the added "surf drums." 

OMG I LOVE THIS! 

Also to add

- September 2018 - Lana says the album is finished with 11 Tracks.

- January/Febuary 2018 - Lana later says she had 3 songs when she started working with Jack. ( I take Hope NOT to be one of these songs, as it was lyrics/ journaling before she turned it into a song with Jack) 

• IanadeIrey likes this

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

#6642 OFFLINE   IanadeIrey

IanadeIrey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:49 PM

OMG I LOVE THIS! 

Also to add

- September 2018 - Lana says the album is finished with 11 Tracks.

- January/Febuary 2018 - Lana later says she had 3 songs when she started working with Jack. ( I take Hope NOT to be one of these songs, as it was lyrics/ journaling before she turned it into a song with Jack) 

Thank you so much! I will add those into the OP :)

I take the 3 songs she had prior to working with Jack to be The Next Best American Record, California, and Bartender 

• LanaBoi likes this

#6643 OFFLINE   drugsandroses

drugsandroses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 09:17 PM

So. which songs have ya guys changed opinions on? songs ya used to hate etc. ?

I love MAC and FIILY much more than I initially did. California is one of the songs I find myself skipping :hooker:

#6644 OFFLINE   Neptune

Neptune

Omnia vincit amor.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,583 posts
  • Locationby some shore
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:06 AM

I love MAC and FIILY much more than I initially did. California is one of the songs I find myself skipping :hooker:

I was going to like this, but then, the California diss kept my finger from the mouse  :gasp:

• heroinbeaches, HydroponicWeeds, drugsandroses and 1 other like this

Think I'll miss ya forever. like. the stars miss the sun in the morning  ski  e s

#6645 OFFLINE   Pico Boulevard

Pico Boulevard

Born in the NFR! pre-release thread

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHoly Chapel in the Yosemite Falls
  • Fan Since:2015

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:20 AM

I still can't believe we got the album.

I still can't believe that Google Play leaked 'The Greatest'

• heroinbeaches, JehovahThikness, Lanalouis1 and 7 others like this

giphy.gif

#6646 OFFLINE   drugsandroses

drugsandroses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:04 PM

I still can't believe that Google Play leaked 'The Greatest'

LMAO I forgot about that. What a mess.
We were really losing our minds. What a rough couple of months before the record dropped. Aaah, good times.
  • JehovahThikness, Pin Up Galore, GeminiLanaFan and 3 others like this

#6647 OFFLINE   lustforlife

lustforlife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:28 PM

She followed a Ellen Degenerates Fan Acc. This bitch gonna back to the TV with a Instagram Livestream :crossed:

• Marius12 and YvonneMD like this

Lust For Dead   large.gif

#6648 OFFLINE   mergirl

mergirl

S A D G I R L ๐Ÿ’

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationNew York City, USA
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted 03 April 2020 - 01:39 PM

giphy.gif

• Skid Row Cherry Pie, Elle, Electric Body and 2 others like this

#6649 OFFLINE   Foxglove

Foxglove

fucking hot, hot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 03:58 AM

Hi I'm Foxglove and I have not listened to Norman Fucking Rockwell in 27 days.  I can't believe I used to be the person who would find myself curled up on the kitchen floor, headphones in, listening to Mariner's Apartment Complex in the dark.  I knew I was at a completely new low desperate point when I burned a CD of the potato quality leak of the album recorded on a phone by Cassette Girl and listened to it over and over in my car.......  I want to thank this group for helping me recognize that even though I've suffered from horrible taste in many dark times in my life, I have the power within to break this addiction.  I never thought I would come this far, and I'm making a solemn promise to myself and my loved ones to keep going and only listen to good music with actual meaning.  Thank you so much for your support

• Pin Up Galore and takeitdoen like this

#6650 OFFLINE   amphetamine

amphetamine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Fan Since:2012

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:29 PM

I haven't checked this thread in a while. do people still think its cute to shit on HIADT or has everyone finally gotten over themselves and realized its one of her best songs?? 

• Elle, heroinbeaches, Terrence Loves Me and 3 others like this

#6651 OFFLINE   Pin Up Galore

Pin Up Galore

ill beat the shit out that bitch like an enema

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Fan Since:late 2014

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:01 PM

sometimes I think about the cinnamon girl snippets and im like "o its not that different from the final" then I actually play the snippets and BITCHHHH  :defeated: why would she make the bass and distortion so fucking quiet it was so good before and now it just feels flat 

• TheBoss, Lanalouis1, Marius12 and 6 others like this
tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

#6652 OFFLINE   urgirl

urgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Locationthe Reveal of my Heart

Posted 05 April 2020 - 11:41 PM

sometimes I think about the cinnamon girl snippets and im like "o its not that different from the final" then I actually play the snippets and BITCHHHH  :defeated: why would she make the bass and distortion so fucking quiet it was so good before and now it just feels flat 

totally agree, before NFR came out I was listening all the time to a fanmade edit of the song made from the snippets and I was so excited for the song

when the real song came out I was so disappointed. I liked it less than the fanmade one

• Marius12, late bloomer and ArtDecoDelRey like this

#6653 OFFLINE   FallingCherry

FallingCherry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

sometimes I think about the cinnamon girl snippets and im like "o its not that different from the final" then I actually play the snippets and BITCHHHH :defeated: why would she make the bass and distortion so fucking quiet it was so good before and now it just feels flat

I think it was just because she played it in her car and because of the phone quality tbh. I agree the bass sounded louder in the snippets but I donโ€™t think it really was louder in reality
  • lernerderrey, June Gloom, Sugar Venom and 3 others like this

#6654 OFFLINE   99centlips

99centlips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:24 AM

anybody want one? It is for an iPhone X. Free! Just pay for shipping! *virus free US home*

http://imgbox.com/9ZzgWB6o

• Eti likes this

#6655 OFFLINE   Pin Up Galore

Pin Up Galore

ill beat the shit out that bitch like an enema

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Fan Since:late 2014

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:31 AM

anybody want one? It is for an iPhone X. Free! Just pay for shipping! *virus free US home*

http://imgbox.com/9ZzgWB6o

girl wtf

• Electric Body and June Gloom like this
tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

#6656 OFFLINE   99centlips

99centlips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:42 AM

girl wtf

just don't want them to go to waste? thought someone might want one here?

#6657 OFFLINE   PARADIXO

PARADIXO

aaron

• Moderators
  • 4,464 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • Favourite LDR Song:Change

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:58 AM

https://www.youtube...._s0TZ18&t=1004s

Don't know if this review had been discussed yet here, but it's one of the few ones that doesn't adhere to the mainstream view about the album (the "incredible masterpiece" "second coming after Christ" thing), and it also highlights many of the flaws that some of us have highlighted about it since the beggining. The guys reviewing are very funny, and it's even funnier to see how pissed the people are in the comments about their review. Check it if you haven't, sure a nice thing to entertain to during quarantine ;)

8 days late sorry but those guys are goddam stupid. and not bc of this review (i watched it when they put it out) but they know nothing

๐Ÿ†Daddy of the Year 2019 - Self Loathing Poet Award for Best Blogger 2020 - Daddy of the Year 2020๐Ÿ†

#6658 OFFLINE   sjatib

sjatib

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • Fan Since:Few years back

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:09 PM

8 days late sorry but those guys are goddam stupid. and not bc of this review (i watched it when they put it out) but they know nothing

I don't know them except from this review, so can't judge about how much they know or don't know about whatever, yet I found the review funny and somehow brave -as they went against all the big critics in the industry, who exposed exactly the opposite vision about the album-.

• PARADIXO likes this

#6659 OFFLINE   LanaBoi

LanaBoi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Fan Since:Early 2012

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:46 PM

I think it was just because she played it in her car and because of the phone quality tbh. I agree the bass sounded louder in the snippets but I donโ€™t think it really was louder in reality

Same, I think it was due to the distortion of playing it in her car and the microphone in her iPhone distorting it again.... 

Oh and something to add, I love that we got this album almost with everything she promised. There were no snippets or name drops of songs that didn't end up on it, or her talking about her fave songs on the album only to not have them on the album. I guess the only thing was the production of How to disappear changing, but that quickly grew on me anyway (though I'd love to hear a studio piano version). 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

#6660 OFFLINE   Trash Magic

Trash Magic

Listens to people who can sing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:46 AM

It's so weird how the Submlime documentary Lana specifically recorded Doin' Time for has STILL not been publicly released... It only ever did film festival circuits (and received pretty poor reviews). I want to see it!

• urgirl likes this

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users