Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

A low life dude in a bar just lifted my skirt and violated me

I officially hate straight white dudes and im gonna play tf out of the title track

All the roses are red, and Jupiter too 

i wish lana would do another little meet and greet like she did at* rough trade in london ... i'm putting it out into the universe bc she seems to be heavily focusing on california atm  :ohno:

Don't you just love it when things come crawling out the woodwork...

HELLO!

Well she brought me back again... just wanted this lanaboard dinosaur to chime in his thoughts...

First thing... I don't think this board has ever had this much entertainment this past year. Your meltdowns have kept my lil part of the world highly amused! I live for your dramas, freaks!

NOW... NORMAN FUCKING ROCKWELL.

We had VB/MAC ... initially I was taken aback upon their release. It was Lana, alright, but not at the same time. Hard to convey but less layered, less grandiose, less hollywood sadcore... more raw, stripped, open, honest... and it worked. I went from being bewildered upon the first listen of VENICE BITCH to going as far as to say this psychedelic head fuck of a song is her greatest achievement this side of BORN TO DIE.

Doubt plagued me when i heard the very LQ leaks of the newer songs. I thought maybe it was too stripped? too ballady? Had Lana taken away too much that made me love her int he first place? the strings, the drums, the synths, large soundscapes. bond theme powerhouse mind fucks!!!... it worried me and I kinda lost my excitement for the album... so when the HQ leaked i avoided it completely. I was daring to be proved wrong on my apprehensions picking that CD up from HMV and slipping it in my system and hearing it real for the first time as close and as tangible to Lana as I could get.

I was PROVED WRONG.

I cried. I actually cried. For the first time hearing Ms Del Rey swoon through the room on this brand new record I just embraced every second. No thrills. No drink. No pills. Actually at my restaurant, in our function room ironing numerous white linen table cloths for a christening for sunday. With an occasional sip of tea. 

What a beautiful hour of my life. Events coordinator and assistant manager can have some unexpected perks. I never considered ironing the cloths a perk until that day. Complete solitude. Complete Lana.

An album so strong in it's structure, in it's track placements that it almost feels like pulling on Lana's hair and back handing her face to even dare to skip a track! 

That perfect wave (yes it is a wave!) from the title track, rolling into MAC and spilling into the saga that is VB is sumptuous. So so beautiful.

"I'd like to think that you would stick around"...? my god, woman. What witch craft is this!!! these tears!!!!

Love Song hit me hard. I wasnt expecting that having only played about 30 seconds of the LQ leak but blimey... this album takes on a whole new life in all of it's full resonance.

Let's talk that 1 - 2 - 3 punch that is California, BAR, The Greatest - This was my Honeymoon/BTD nostalgic saga that I never knew I was getting! And despite these three songs being more grandiose/bombastic than the mellow surf/acoustic vibes of the the rest of the record the cohesion is palpable still. The Greatest hearkening to a Beatles/Eagles glory banger. The overwhelming emotions as she laments "Don't leave I just need a wakeup call". Shivers people. Remember i'm ironing.

Now, are the original lyrics of BAR of such great importance we can't appreciate the dramatic change the song now delivers with the new ones? Remember this is the OFFICIAL VERSION. And guess what... the repetition of the word FAME is not missed by me. The slightly enhanced production really punches like that shattered glass! And I love it!! A highlight.

California? Tame in it's lyrics and that's why it shines as probably the best song on the album. It's honest. It's real. Not dressed up in metaphors or aesthetics of golden hollywood. This is a lament for that man she'll always keep an eye on. She'll try and save. Is it Barrie? Probably. No doubt about it really. And what a heartfelt way to say I'll be here for you if you need a savour. 

I played it to my boyfriend today (a so so fan... he "likes her) .... he cried. Actually he sobbed and declared it his favourite song by her. There was something in the simplicity of what she was trying to convey that really stuck with him.

This is her.

The real her.

Calling on an old flame.

Desperate to save him from his depression.

Come back to me and i'll make you see life the way it was again.

I promise.

I'll throw a party.

We'll dance til dawn.

Even writing that gets me moist in the eyelids.

Ending the album on three beautiful piano ballads... the highlight of which HIAB sandwiched inbetween in all it's frailty, indeed like a butterfly, transformed in a matter of chords into a piano key slamming siren call "Hollywood and Vine, black rabbit in the alley

I just wanna hold you tight down the avenue" ... It's just never ending... this magnificence! 

VB

LOVE SONG 

CALIFORNIA 

BAR

THE GREATEST

HIAB

I could gush on and on!

Bathed in light, under a period vaulted ceiling, candelabras, wine glasses, with linens and Lana I experienced NORMAN FUCKING ROCKWELL.

A departure and a return rolled into one.

Calming, otherworldly, raw and sweeping, quiet and loud. A real trip and cohesive to a fault. 

What was the problem with Lust for Life? Some wonderful songs sprung from it's oh so bold take on absolutely fucking everything from modern pop to the beatles, to love and heartbreak, to american politics and equal women's rights, to soul searching and acceptance of inner turmoils... and then some. Maybe that was the problem.

She had so many ideas and good ones at that but the album suffered overall from not having a strong structure and theme to keep it grounded.

On NFR she has found her ground. She sings about what she knows and it shows. Lana is best when she keeps it real, and with a good producer in tow she can do wonders. And I am in wonderment.

Thankyou guys.

Thankyou Lana.

i wish lana would do another little meet and greet like she did at* rough trade in london ... i'm putting it out into the universe bc she seems to be heavily focusing on california atm  :ohno:

if she visited the 4000 people village of southport connecticut that would be appreciated too  :D

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

If only she hadn't fucked about at the beginning of this era... Can you imagine the campaign if this was the singles run and each had flawless visuals like the ones she's just released.

Mariners Apartment Complex

Venice Bitch

Doin' Time

Fuck It, I Love You

Like a cute little video for Mariners Apartment Complex, quite stripped and reflective. Then a 10 minute epic short film for Venice Bitch, maybe Rich Lee?, I'm seeing Shades Of Cool 2.0, like hypnotic, lots of colours. Then the Doin' Time and Fuck It, I Love You / The Greatest videos as we got them... Damn.

as much as i love this album some of the songs sort of blend together. it’s not the sound i have a problem with, but the subject matter. she keeps going back to the same old subjects: partying, dancing, being in love with an asshole, partying and fame that’s been there for almost every album and it’s like.. that’s cool but i want more from her because i know she’s capable of more

all my wounds are due to love, to love, love, love

I actually can't get over how much I love Bartender...the piano reminds me of a nursery rhyme or like one of those boxes that play music with the spinning ballerina idrk? It just sounds so delicate and vulnerable, and i can hear the ache in her voice. I love it so much, bartender stans UNITE

just wondering, has anyones local target also not have NFR on shelves? ive already seen at least 10 situations where people claim their target didnt even shelve it, and the workers had to go in the back. tf is going on. i assume they arent being sold out. she could seriously be losing precious sales from this. cuz someone like me would just leave if i didnt see it. annoying.

just wondering, has anyones local target also not have NFR on shelves? ive already seen at least 10 situations where people claim their target didnt even shelve it, and the workers had to go in the back. tf is going on. i assume they arent being sold out. she could seriously be losing precious sales from this. cuz someone like me would just leave if i didnt see it. annoying.

my barnes and noble, walmart, best buy, and target didn't have NFR  :creep:

Well Barnes and Noble had ONE cd left and you know i got it

I'm in the same situation. Guess I'm not getting that poster.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

Heads up for those who live in NYC - Target doesn't have enough copies of NFR. Like literally not enough. I have no problem because I got my CD in amazon but there's a lot of fans who want the "Target Exclusive" which is why I bring it up. I'm hearing a lot of fans from NYC on twitter, Facebook and instagram complaining that when they check out Target's official website to check for CD copies in stores, it says that specific Target store has NFR in stock. Sadly it's not true. Target updates their info every 72 hours, so the info they have on the store stocks is not in real time. From what I was told by my friend who works in a Target in the city, Lana's albums are flying off the shelves. Every time an employee put 10 NFR cd's on the shelf of my friend's store, it's gone within the hour. It seems to be happening in all the NYC Target stores. Do yourself a favor and just order NFR online and save yourself a trip. 

What is funny is that Taylor's Lover album has all these huge tower displays in every Target store and her album isn't actually flying off the shelves. I'm not sure if it's because no one cares or because Taylor's record company had people send more copies of her album to these Target stores. 

Anyway, this is just a heads up to fans living in NYC. Is the same thing happening to other Target stores in the US? 

This is all you see when you walk into any Target in NYC. Lover album fully on display on shelves. Her fans have no issues getting her album.  

yssh3w00j9i31.jpg

I'm in the same situation. Guess I'm not getting that poster.

my barnes and noble, walmart, best buy, and target didn't have NFR  :creep:

Well Barnes and Noble had ONE cd left and you know i got it

wtf.

oh well this gives me some type of relief. but i assumed they werent getting bought immediately because of the predicted 75k first week sales. assuming not many people are going to the store to buy it.