Sign in to follow this  
Elle

Lana covers LesInRockuptibles's September 2019 Issue

true

Like... it's not just my least favourite Lana photoshoot, it's probably my least favourite magazine photoshoot, period. The poses... the big brass knockers on her breasts... the cyanosis makeup... the lifeless facial expressions... the clothes... i can't loathe it enough

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

Like... it's not even my least favourite Lana photoshoot, it's probably my least favourite magazine photoshoot, period. The poses... the big brass knockers on her breasts... the cyanosis makeup... the lifeless facial expressions... the clothes... i can't loathe it enough

the shoot had a singular flaw and it was the makeup artist not giving lana a lip color for two of the photos

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

Do we know if there’ll be an interview in it or just something small like “NFR! is out now”?

Anne just tweeted pictures of the magazine - there’s an interview in there! I don’t know French so I can’t translate... can someone else? Anne said it doesn’t bring much but she could translate it if no one else can.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

i'm gonna do my best because i can't see shit in some pics  :crossed:

Interview:

Why don't you take interviews more often? Shyness, strategy or mistrust? 

- When my first album released, one of my first interviews was lead by an Australian journalist older than me, he asked me about my influences, I said that I liked The Beach Boys, Cat Power and authors like James Ellroy. He interrupted me, "James Ellroy, what do you have in common with him?" I said, "Nothing big, I just like his books." He replied, "Isn't that a bit arrogant of you?" The interviews after that weren't that successful either, instead of asking me about my songs or about the talented producers I work with, they talked about my exaggerated use of eyeliner and hair dryer. They were looking for psychological motives behind my aesthetical choice, as if I was hiding something, but I'm not hiding anything!

Do you feel misunderstood?

- Yes. When I read my portraits, I'm unable to recognize myself. Even before interviewing me, the journalists knew what they wanted to write, and my responses didn't change their prejudices. Today, it's different. We no longer mock artists, instead, we take interest in their creativity...But when I am not sure of their intentions, I prefer to abstain rather than asking to reread my copy. I warned my sister, who is now a photographer. There aren't many young women in this field, So the only person you can rely on is yourself, against the hostility of others.

Is that what you did too with your music? 

- Sometimes I try to be serene and strong. I'm very strong for being pacific, but when it's time to take up arms, I have to opt for violence. What success has taught me is that everything can change in a matter of minutes, we just have to know what we really want, from the musical genre we want to get into to the city we want to move to...You shouldn't let your destiny be dictated. 

And let your voice be heard, just like you did more than ever in Norman Fucking Rockwell!...

- I realized that afterwards. In the beginning of the recording, I didn't have any clear idea in mind...But the music was stronger than I am by letting me assert myself with my voice.  Only emotions matter, without the urge to take control. Finally, it's what works best!

You chose to work with Jack Antonoff, why him?

- When I met Jack, in January 2018, I was touring the US with no intention to write another another record. He asked me to come by his studio and, after an hour, I was certain that I wanted to write my next album with Jack. His musicians were amazing and he is extremely talented. He is one of the most gifted pianists I know. We worked together for more than a year, we devoted ourselves to each track, we laughed a lot too. He always has a funny jock to say, which helped lighten the melancholic mood of some tracks...even though this album is considered lighter than the previous ones. 

You are known for your songs' bittersweet nostalgia, but we found you to be happier than that, will happiness win? 

- This is the big question! I am happier than ever, I've strayed further from the traumas and fantasies of my youth. Lately, I've met people that aren't artists, and despite of their 'normal' aspects, they are astonishing and multidimensional...The energy dedicated to build their daily life has inspired me to do the same. I, who was born for art which requires focus and work, found out that I can have my feet on the ground. It is rather satisfying.

Why did you pick this title, 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!'?

- There are many reasons, in one of the first tracks I recorded with Jack, 'Venice Bitch', I sing, "Paint me happy and blue, Norman Rockwell/No hype under our covers/It's just me and you." This is where Norman came from nowhere, he was a brilliant painter, sometimes popular and underestimated. In my songs, I'm always talking about the American Dream, to which he was also attached. His belongs to another era, one that is economically unstable but optimistic. What are these hopes today? The culture, the society, the comfort, the technological advances...All of this can be great, but no, our world is more and more worrying, that's where the 'fucking' in the middle came from.

The album title has been censored, but you refused to censor your explicit lyrics. A way to accentuate your independence? 

- Yes, my writing comes to me naturally and I refuse to sugar coat it. Even if one of my songs becomes accessible, it will not sound like some songs on the radio. I like it when artists share their points of view and their emotions, it helps them connect with their audience.

In August, after the El Paso and Dayton mass shootings, you recorded a protest song titled 'Looking For America'. What do you think of the current American politics?

- (sighs) The government reflects the individuals' uneasiness. Just like nature, this big mirror of our society on a worldwide scale. The terrible incidents, the hurricanes and the suffocating oceans, none of this is a coincidence, people will wake up. We are in a transition period where we are questioning the value we must give to life. Alas, some people refuse to, and that can become dramatic. 

In the final track, 'Hope Is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - But I Have It', you mention Sylvia Plath...What do you think of her work? 

- What really stuck with me about her, is her desperate love for her husband, Ted Hughes. I understand the way she felt...It's a shame that people only associate her with her suicide, and call her poems that saddest ones in the world. Her writing is brilliant, both classic and contemporary. And it's important, I think, to chose the end of your own legacy. Before that, you have to face existence, one chapter after another. When I speak to other women, I realize that they're in constant battle with their emotions, just like me. This is where friendship is precious.

Sorority, is it important to you? 

- Yes. My friends mean a lot to me, my sister just as much, even though she lives far away from me. I love 'Women Who Run With The Wolves' by Clarissa Pinkola Estés, in which she goes back to ancestral tales. In her book, the wolves advise a woman to never befriend those who lack warmth in their hearts. I decided to follow her advice by surrounding myself with generous people. This has changed my perspective on human relationships. 

(i skipped a couple of questions because the text was cut out form the pictures)

The Californian girl that you've become, can she live outside of L.A?

- Yes! I moved away to live in San Diego. If you want to take a step back on your art, you should leave Los Angeles, there's so much music in this city! When I'm on the road leaving [L.A] behind, my best ideas start to fuse.

Love remains the heart of your music...

- And of my life, even if my friendships became more important. Love definitely brings as much joy as it brings pain. It never surprised me to realize how quickly things can change in a relationship. I suffered the torment...My feelings change too of course, but I remain the same person. But, the men I dated revealed many unexpected sides to them that I wasn't even sure what binds us. Today, I hope to meet someone new, someone who shares my feelings and experiences.

Do you believe in God? 

- Yes, I pray frequently. Faith is very much like happiness, it demands some work! I usually ask god "Tell me, what should I do?", "How can I use my time wisely?" "How can I be better?" I feel connected to something much bigger. 

You said the sea represents the last free space in the planet 

- When I was a child, I grew up in the countryside north of the state New York and I spent most of the day outside. But whenever we would go on vacation to Florida, I rejoice. Water is vital for me. I swim several times per week. When sand covers my feet and the ocean breeze tangles my hair, I feel powerful.

We see you riding a board in the music video of Fuck It, I Love You. Do you surf?

- I try. I wanted to be filmed riding the waves, just like they used to do in the traditional surf rock records. But in reality, it's a constant battle to not fall.

It's okay; Dennis Wilson was the only Beach Boy who knew how to surf! 

- (Laughs) Yes! That's what I tell myself each time, "What would Dennis Wilson do?"

i'm gonna do my best because i can't see shit in some pics  :crossed:

Interview:

Why don't you take interviews more often? Shyness, strategy or mistrust? 

- When my first album released, one of my first interviews was lead by an Australian journalist older than me, he asked me about my influences, I said that I liked The Beach Boys, Cat Power and authors like James Ellroy. He interrupted me, "James Ellroy, what do you have in common with him?" I said, "Nothing big, I just like his books." He replied, "Isn't that a bit arrogant of you?" The interviews after that weren't that successful either, instead of asking me about my songs or about the talented producers I work with, they talked about my exaggerated use of eyeliner and hair dryer. They were looking for psychological motives behind my aesthetical choice, as if I was hiding something, but I'm not hiding anything!

Do you feel misunderstood?

- Yes. When I read my portraits, I'm unable to recognize myself. Even before interviewing me, the journalists knew what they wanted to write, and my responses didn't change their prejudices. Today, it's different. We no longer mock artists, instead, we take interest in their creativity...But when I am not sure of their intentions, I prefer to abstain rather than asking to reread my copy. I warned my sister, who is now a photographer. There aren't many young women in this field, So the only person you can rely on is yourself, against the hostility of others.

Is that what you did too with your music? 

- Sometimes I try to be serene and strong. I'm very strong for being pacific, but when it's time to take up arms, I have to opt for violence. What success has taught me is that everything can change in a matter of minutes, we just have to know what we really want, from the musical genre we want to get into to the city we want to move to...You shouldn't let your destiny be dictated. 

And let your voice be heard, just like you did more than ever in Norman Fucking Rockwell!...

- I realized that afterwards. In the beginning of the recording, I didn't have any clear idea in mind...But the music was stronger than I am by letting me assert myself with my voice.  Only emotions matter, without the urge to take control. Finally, it's what works best!

You chose to work with Jack Antonoff, why him?

- When I met Jack, in January 2018, I was touring the US with no intention to write another another record. He asked me to come by his studio and, after an hour, I was certain that I wanted to write my next album with Jack. His musicians were amazing and he is extremely talented. He is one of the most gifted pianists I know. We worked together for more than a year, we devoted ourselves to each track, we laughed a lot too. He always has a funny jock to say, which helped lighten the melancholic mood of some tracks...even though this album is considered lighter than the previous ones. 

You are known for your songs' bittersweet nostalgia, but we found you to be happier than that, will happiness win? 

- This is the big question! I am happier than ever, I've strayed further from the traumas and fantasies of my youth. Lately, I've met people that aren't artists, and despite of their 'normal' aspects, they are astonishing and multidimensional...The energy dedicated to build their daily life has inspired me to do the same. I, who was born for art which requires focus and work, found out that I can have my feet on the ground. It is rather satisfying.

Why did you pick this title, 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!'?

- There are many reasons, in one of the first tracks I recorded with Jack, 'Venice Bitch', I sing, "Paint me happy and blue, Norman Rockwell/No hype under our covers/It's just me and you." This is where Norman came from nowhere, he was a brilliant painter, sometimes popular and underestimated. In my songs, I'm always talking about the American Dream, to which he was also attached. His belongs to another era, one that is economically unstable but optimistic. What are these hopes today? The culture, the society, the comfort, the technological advances...All of this can be great, but no, our world is more and more worrying, that's where the 'fucking' in the middle came from.

The album title has been censored, but you refused to censor your explicit lyrics. A way to accentuate your independence? 

- Yes, my writing comes to me naturally and I refuse to sugar coat it. Even if one of my songs becomes accessible, it will not sound like some songs on the radio. I like it when artists share their points of view and their emotions, it helps them connect with their audience.

In August, after the El Paso and Dayton mass shootings, you recorded a protest song titled 'Looking For America'. What do you think of the current American politics?

- (sighs) The government reflects the individuals' uneasiness. Just like nature, this big mirror of our society on a worldwide scale. The terrible incidents, the hurricanes and the suffocating oceans, none of this is a coincidence, people will wake up. We are in a transition period where we are questioning the value we must give to life. Alas, some people refuse to, and that can become dramatic. 

In the final track, 'Hope Is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have - But I Have It', you mention Sylvia Plath...What do you think of her work? 

- What really stuck with me about her, is her desperate love for her husband, Ted Hughes. I understand the way she felt...It's a shame that people only associate her with her suicide, and call her poems that saddest ones in the world. Her writing is brilliant, both classic and contemporary. And it's important, I think, to chose the end of your own legacy. Before that, you have to face existence, one chapter after another. When I speak to other women, I realize that they're in constant battle with their emotions, just like me. This is where friendship is precious.

Sorority, is it important to you? 

- Yes. My friends mean a lot to me, my sister just as much, even though she lives far away from me. I love 'Women Who Run With The Wolves' by Clarissa Pinkola Estés, in which she goes back to ancestral tales. In her book, the wolves advise a woman to never befriend those who lack warmth in their hearts. I decided to follow her advice by surrounding myself with generous people. This has changed my perspective on human relationships. 

(i skipped a couple of questions because the text was cut out form the pictures)

The Californian girl that you've become, can she live outside of L.A?

- Yes! I moved away to live in San Diego. If you want to take a step back on your art, you should leave Los Angeles, there's so much music in this city! When I'm on the road leaving [L.A] behind, my best ideas start to fuse.

Love remains the heart of your music...

- And of my life, even if my friendships became more important. Love definitely brings as much joy as it brings pain. It never surprised me to realize how quickly things can change in a relationship. I suffered the torment...My feelings change too of course, but I remain the same person. But, the men I dated revealed many unexpected sides to them that I wasn't even sure what binds us. Today, I hope to meet someone new, someone who shares my feelings and experiences.

Do you believe in God? 

- Yes, I pray frequently. Faith is very much like happiness, it demands some work! I usually ask god "Tell me, what should I do?", "How can I use my time wisely?" "How can I be better?" I feel connected to something much bigger. 

You said the sea represents the last free space in the planet 

- When I was a child, I grew up in the countryside north of the state New York and I spent most of the day outside. But whenever we would go on vacation to Florida, I rejoice. Water is vital for me. I swim several times per week. When sand covers my feet and the ocean breeze tangles my hair, I feel powerful.

We see you riding a board in the music video of Fuck It, I Love You. Do you surf?

- I try. I wanted to be filmed riding the waves, just like they used to do in the traditional surf rock records. But in reality, it's a constant battle to not fall.

It's okay; Dennis Wilson was the only Beach Boy who knew how to surf! 

- (Laughs) Yes! That's what I tell myself each time, "What would Dennis Wilson do?"

Reading her interviews is one of my favorite parts of the album release cycle

She's so eloquent and well spoken, an actual angel

large.jpg