Sign in to follow this  
evilentity

"Video Games" & "The Greatest" Make Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs of the 2010s

This list is so weird... Like where's Lady Gaga with Born This Way and Shallow? Why is Nicki there with Come on a Cone and Beez In The Trap? :rip: Where's Kate Bush? Only one song by Sky and St. Vincent? Where's Arctic Monkeys? Also Grimes at #2 doesn't make any sense because when Oblivion was released they nominated it the best song of the decade PERIOD so it should be #1. 

Oh wow I just noticed no inclusion of gaga, v weird. 

The ones that got me most were the absence of: Sufjan Stevens, Julia Holter, Flying Lotus, Run The Jewels, Alex G, Grouper, Death Grips, Chvrches, Father John Misty, Swans, King Gizzard, Oneothrix Point Never. A few of these aren't even my favs but I can recognise how influential their music has been this decade.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

The greatest is Lana's best Top 5 song, the piano and the end makes it grammy-winning alone ..that's on periohdt poo xx

I almost cried when I saw VG at the top ten. Truly one of the best songs of the decade 

this list is missing so many important and influential artists, some really weird picks.

Alright is definitely not a #1 contender. Is it one of  Kendricks' best songs? yes, but not enough for it to be literally #1 of the decade... DNA. would've been my pick or have Blacker the Berry or "i"

Oh wow I just noticed no inclusion of gaga, v weird. 

The ones that got me most were the absence of: Sufjan Stevens, Julia Holter, Flying Lotus, Run The Jewels, Alex G, Grouper, Death Grips, Chvrches, Father John Misty, Swans, King Gizzard, Oneothrix Point Never. A few of these aren't even my favs but I can recognise how influential their music has been this decade.

r/indieheads and r/popheads on reddit are going off as you can imagine lmaoo 

even the pop forum is saying how weird some of the choices for the pop stars are. The Louvre for Lorde? great song but it doesnt hold weight outside of the album while Liability and Green Light do. idk..

Yes yes we get it, your faves not on this list. 

Im just glad she's made it twice and that a NFR song did. tbh all I care about is her getting closer to her Grammy.

I dont care how, and which songs do it, she just deserves it

Pitchfork has also finally put out there 200 Best Albums of the 2010s list and NFR comes in at #19, a great showing.

19. Lana Del Rey: Norman Fucking Rockwell! (2019)

Norman Fucking Rockwell!, Lana Del Rey’s fifth and finest album, begins with a breakup and ends with self-affirmation and hope. In between, she takes on wide-lens topics—climate change, gun violence, depression, death—with effortless cool. (She even manages to seamlessly fit in a Sublime cover.) Her indelible pop melodies are strung together with the grace of a tragic ballet. Lana worked on the record with Jack Antonoff, a producer known for encouraging pop artists to indulge their most theatrical, bombastic sides. Del Rey, however, encourages a more somber atmosphere, defined by muted piano, acoustic guitars, and layered harmonies that pair with her angsty, existential stories—’70s in spirit and ’90s in frame of mind, to paraphrase a lyric. If Lana’s music once sounded like a collage of her heroes’ greatest hits, then here is where she lapsed into her own language entirely. –Sam Sodomsky

I had mixed feelings about BTD-- great songs, overdone production-- but how THE FUCK is it not on this list? Seriously, the second longest charting album by a female solo artist in the history of the Billboard 200, after only Adele's 21 (released about the same time), and hugely influential, doesn't make Pitchfork's top 200 albums of the decade?  :usrs:

FWIW, AKA was released in January of 2010 and should be on this list too, not that I would have ever expected it to be.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

VIdeo Games makes total sense. It's a turning point for her career, and was an absolute phenomenon which introduced her to the world. 

The Greatest is awesome but ehhhh I think Ride or West Coast are more cultural milestones for her.

3lfQEhw.png

I had mixed feelings about BTD-- great songs, overdone production-- but how THE FUCK is it not on this list? Seriously, the second longest charting album by a female solo artist in the history of the Billboard 200, after only Adele's 21 (released about the same time), and hugely influential, doesn't make Pitchfork's top 200 albums of the decade?  :usrs:

For that matter, Adele didn't even make the list at all. I mean, I get the argument for not ranking Adele high-- too safe, bland, etc.-- but not even making a top 200 list at all? Come on.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I would be bold enough to say that it figuratively changed the entire indie scene and everything that happened after the 2012 indie boom. Indie taken very loosely in that context.

She paved ways for many women in the music industry in 2010s, INCLUDING mainstream-oriented charting female artists. Their situation was somewhat different in 2010s and success of one small Lana Del Rey was a big deal. Like it or not, PITCHFORK

BTD is so iconic in music history that I'm actually angry now that it didn't make it. Literally every single gen z female artist quotes Lana as their inspiration

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Very glad for Video games being number 9.It's definetly a staple song, I would even say it's THE SONG of her whole career. The greatest is a little weird on such a broad list but I agree that it's a new and very strong staple in Lana's career, coming after so much evolution from her as an artist.

Quite impressed that they put NFR on number 19 on the album list. That's pretty insane. I would honestly put BTD there instead, just because of how defining it was at the time in the music world. The impact BTD had is still very much visible today, after almost 8 fuking years. NFR it's definetly deserving for a spot on the list too, but not that high. Maybe like top 70-top 50...eh, maybe even lower.

Impressed also at Rihanna's Anti being high on the list, it's arguably her best album and a definite shift in Rihanna's artistry.

Dissapointed that MATANGI by fucking M.I.A. was not on the list....whAt?? At least they mentioned Bad girls on the song chart on number 27 so that's good, but come on, Matangi definetly deserved a shoutout.

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

The Greatest is awesome but ehhhh I think Ride or West Coast are more cultural milestones for her.

not at all. the greatest is the literal definition of that.

I really like NFR but don't you feel like it's a bit soon to say an album that's been out for a month and half is decade defining?  :toofunny:

Also agree that BtD was snubbed. Even tho I have problems with it as an album it's been soooooo influential.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I really like NFR but don't you feel like it's a bit soon to say an album that's been out for a month and half is decade defining?  :toofunny:

Also agree that BtD was snubbed. Even tho I have problems with it as an album it's been soooooo influential.

Yeah it's quite dumb. Even Honeymoon is more worthy, they are just riding the coattails of her recent critical acclaim.

Anyway, I do wonder if Lana is aware of all this praise, it seems she still cares what the critics say so I think it would put a smile on her face. (and maybe make her consider singing the greatest more often)

Born To Die it's more decade defining than NFR, but the list is for the BEST albums so it makes sense considering their score for the album (best score for a woman this decade + one of the best scores overall)

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

they're right with video games... 

the greatest is just random and seems as if they put it on there bc it was still in their minds because they just reviewed nfr like 2 months ago 

i76mrxw.png 

Born to Die is a much more important and interesting record than NFR (disclaimer: I love both of them), but the comments above are correct - Pitchfork would have to do some self examination and self-criticism if they turned around and gave it any credit after all this time.

Pitchfork has also finally put out there 200 Best Albums of the 2010s list and NFR comes in at #19, a great showing.

19. Lana Del Rey: Norman Fucking Rockwell! (2019)

Norman Fucking Rockwell!, Lana Del Rey’s fifth and finest album, begins with a breakup and ends with self-affirmation and hope. In between, she takes on wide-lens topics—climate change, gun violence, depression, death—with effortless cool. (She even manages to seamlessly fit in a Sublime cover.) Her indelible pop melodies are strung together with the grace of a tragic ballet. Lana worked on the record with Jack Antonoff, a producer known for encouraging pop artists to indulge their most theatrical, bombastic sides. Del Rey, however, encourages a more somber atmosphere, defined by muted piano, acoustic guitars, and layered harmonies that pair with her angsty, existential stories—’70s in spirit and ’90s in frame of mind, to paraphrase a lyric. If Lana’s music once sounded like a collage of her heroes’ greatest hits, then here is where she lapsed into her own language entirely. –Sam Sodomsky

When people wonder why I call rock/music writing mostly gibberish, I can just point them to this as a perfect example.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

also yes btd is obviously the album deserving lana's one (and highest) spot when it comes to 2010s album lists

anything else is like putting joanne or artpop as gaga's highest record.

i76mrxw.png