Sign in to follow this  
TrashMagiq

Interview with The Washington Post - October 24th 2019

At the Hollywood Bowl this month, she performed “Wicked Game” with Chris Isaak. “We can’t be in the middle of Hollywood and not hear the sexiest song of all time,” Del Rey explained as Isaak exited the stage.

How ya gonna not play "Yayo" after that?

Two days after the Hollywood Bowl, Del Rey is in Santa Barbara to catch a Bob Dylan concert

This is at least the second time she's seen Dylan?

the 34-year-old will spend an hour inside a conference room at the Four Seasons answering questions

Sounds like a blast.

The singer’s rise out of the New York open-mic circuit and up through the industry machinery, while not atypical, had been spun into a bogus media narrative about how she wasn’t operating on her own creative volition, as if her songs had been focus-grouped into existence.

It's nice to see no less than the Washington Post stating as fact that the label creation myth was a "bogus media narrative".

On top of that, “Born to Die” landed at a time when a pop hit was expected to double as a melodic affirmation, a self-esteem vitamin, a danceable pep-talk, Gaga-rah-rah-rah. Del Rey was different, and so was her music.

Shorter WaPo: Stefani you suck.

“It’s you, it’s you, it’s all for you,” she gushed on her breakout single “Video Games,” a self-erasing love song about a distant lover who’s more concerned with the pixels on his computer screen.

“I remember when ‘Video Games’ came out, people were like, ‘Oh my God, it’s so anti-feminist!’ ” Del Rey says. “ ‘You’re sitting and watching him play video games?’ I was like, ‘Well, I would play, too, now and then.’ And I had other stuff I was doing. I wrote a hit album! Can’t I take an hour to watch him play ‘World of Warcraft’?”

LOL Lana. That is not what the feminist critique of VG was.

Has her work been over-interpreted?

cum 2 lanaboards.com wapo writer

I’m a bit of a muso.

This just in: California earthquakes found to be caused by the album cover portraits of all the Masters of Every Genre™ in Lana's record collection collectively side-eyeing her at once.

Also compare the larger quote this comes from (rather generous about her recycling)...

One of her most potent writerly devices involves recycling old lyrics from classic songs. Earlier in her career, it sounded like cheating off someone else’s paper, like she was spackling holes in her verses with mundane swatches of radio haiku — lyrics from Tom Petty, Snoop Dogg, Patsy Cline, David Bowie and dozens more. But across her discography, her commitment to the gesture has deepened its meaning. “Not intentionally,” she says. “I’m a bit of a muso. If we’re not at Dylan, we’re hopefully at another show. So, most stuff I just have on my mind.”

...to this one (probably more honest) later in the piece:

And when she recycles her lines from her older songs, it might be because they express some consistent truth in her life, or “it might be because I forgot.” Or both.

TO BE CONTINUED... (fucking quote limits)

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

till, she seems to be doing something extraordinary with them on this new album — especially during “The Greatest,” a dazzling slow dance about cultural exhaustion during which Del Rey references the death of Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson: “I miss the bar where the Beach Boys would go, Dennis’s last stop before Kokomo.” With breath-stealing efficiency, that line transforms Kokomo from an imaginary timeshare into the afterlife itself — which seems to transform the original ditty into a murder ballad. And that feels radical. Del Rey isn’t just nodding to her heroes. She’s using her own lyrics to change the meaning of their songs.

Sitting in the Four Seasons, Del Rey listens to this hypothesis politely. Then she explains how that lyric came to exist: “I literally went on a date [in Marina del Rey], and this dude was trying to impress me and was like, ‘This was Dennis’s last stop before he hit his head on the dock.’ ”

Like with "Video Games", Lana seems to have a knack for expressing things insightfully, sometimes not even consciously perhaps.

Though didn't she give a similar dude-on-a-date story claiming (unconvincingly in my view) that MAC wasn't about that Guardian interview? Is this true or just her go to story? Now that I think about it, her stories about "Pretty When I Cry" and Barry saying her pussy tastes like Pepsi-Cola both have serious dude-on-a-date story vibes. Hmmm...

She answers questions long after they’ve been asked, consciously or not, which makes her chitchat, as straightforward as it feels, as nonlinear as her music.

I've definitely noticed this in interviews. Sometimes ther may be a particular trigger, but in many interviews where she melts down it seems like it builds from earlier questions that bother her. Often when she hints at something juicy, but then doesn't tell it feels like it's in some way in answer to an earlier question.

—then she stops and raises her index finger, pointing at the music that has suddenly entered the room.

Squinting her ears, she catches the melody as it seeps in through the window. It must be coming from the wedding ceremony in the adjoining courtyard. Yeah, it’s a Lana Del Rey song. “Young and Beautiful.” Or maybe it’s not a Lana Del Rey song. She’s not singing it. She’s right here.

“It’s a wedding singer,” Del Rey says, confirming that this wasn’t just in our heads. “What was I saying?”

Imagine having some schmo singing Y&B at your wedding when Lana is literally in the room next door. :toofunny:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I have never read this article until today and I think the author really captured Lana's career so far. It also describes NFR quite well, and I agree with the clarity thing. It's the less mysterious album, yet in order to get into it you have to literally enter the LDR universe.