Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Pre-Release Thread

Lana Del Rey's poetry book 'Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass' will be released in an audiobook format on July 28th, 2020.

She will be reading 14 of the book's poems with music accompanied by Jack Antonoff, the producer of her previous album 'Norman Fucking Rockwell'

With the original release date being January 4th, Lana originally described the audiobook as "unpolished & gritty freestyle poetry" and pledged to donate half of its proceeds to Native American organizations.

“'Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass' is the title poem of the book and the first poem I wrote of many. Some of which came to me in their entirety, which I dictated and then typed out, and some that I worked laboriously picking apart each word to make the perfect poem. They are eclectic and honest and not trying to be anything other than what they are and for that reason I’m proud of them, especially because the spirit in which they were written was very authentic.” (Lana Del Rey) 

Lana Del Rey brings her breathtaking poetry to life in an unprecedented audiobook. In this stunning spoken word performance, Lana Del Rey reads 14 poems from her debut book Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass accompanied by music from Grammy Award-winning musician Jack Antonoff. Lana’s debut book solidifies her further as “the essential writer of her times” (The Atlantic). This audiobook features Lana reading select poems from the book, including "LA Who Am I to Love You?", "The Land of 1,000 Fires", "Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving", "Never to Heaven", "Tessa DiPietro", "Happy", and several others. The result is an extraordinary poetic landscape that reflects the unguarded spirit of its creator. 

Preorder the audiobook here

50092303462_332bcb805b_o.jpg

1. LA WHO AM I TO LOVE YOU

2. THE LAND OF 1,000 FIRES

3. VIOLET BENT BACKWARDS OVER THE GRASS

4. PAST THE BUSHES CYPRESS THRIVING

5. SALAMANDER

6. NEVER TO HEAVEN

7. SPORTCRUISER

8. TESSA DIPIETRO

9. QUIET WAITER BLUE FOREVER

10. WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I LEFT YOU

11. HAPPY

12. MY BEDROOM IS A SACRED PLACE NOW - THERE ARE CHILDREN AT THE FOOT OF MY BED

13. PARADISE IS VERY FRAGILE

14. BARE FEET ON LINOLEUM

Previous OP:

As Lana's poetry book titled 'Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass' is taking longer to bind than expected, she will be releasing a spoken word album of her poetry to be released January 4th.

She claimed the album was "unpolished & gritty freestyle poetry" so it is unclear if this is a spoken version of her poetry book or a completely separate project, although it is most likely associated with the book.

Although she originally intended on the poetry being priced for $1 as "her thoughts are priceless," she has decided to raise the price and donate half to Native American Organizations.

Announcement:

http://instagram.com/p/B-1Rp6ApoYo/

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

i honestly wonder how much she would gain from this :rip: considering she's donating half the money

It probably cost her $40 to record ($50 if you count her coffee budget),. so it's all profit. 

I'm actually really excited for this, particularly looking forward to when some enterprising bootlegger presses it up on turquoise vinyl and slaps a photo from 2014 onto the cover  :toofunny:

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I'm actually really excited for this, particularly looking forward to when some enterprising bootlegger presses it up on turquoise vinyl and slaps a photo from 2014 onto the cover  :toofunny:

Oh you mean like this?

APM10IE.jpg

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I'm a bit worried about what she may mean with "not very polished", or whatever she said, when the last standards on polishment set by her were NFR...

I'm a bit worried about what she may mean with "not very polished", or whatever she said, when the last standards on polishment set by her were NFR...

It's literally just going to be her reading all the poems.

Anyone who expects anything fancier than that is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I'll let you have a signed copy, though. 

Signed by me, not Lanz, so it's worthless af.

i'd rather have your signature than hers

it's just the way i feel

I believe her intentions are genuine and pure, but can I also say how brilliant this in regards to her grammy nomination campaign? The GRAMMY's will eat this up!This will help her get votes for AOTY with NFR because there is a political component to award shows.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

my questions (yeah ik nobody has the answers to these, i'm just stating my concerns really):

• is the spoken word album going to be violets bent backwards over the grass? or is it just her sniffling and coughing? saying she's just like freestyling scares me bc sis doesn't think before she speaks.
  • she said she wants the album to be around a dollar, but i thot it was the book that she wanted to be a dollar? so does that mean the album is the book?
  • if it isn't, is this white hot forever?

inb4 it sounds like the hope is a dangerous thing special ending with jack talking

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189