Sign in to follow this  
Kurac na Biciklu

љњ&

It’s very irritating that the only representation gay people get in mainstream cinema/TV is solely either white, straight acting, cute, guy next door guy (Love, Simon), the overly gay sidekick with the witty comments (Titus - Kimmy Schmidt), the evil villain in most cartoons etc. It’s those stereotypes that only get portrayed. Even in shows and films that are saying they’re breaking out of those stereotypes still use them. If the central character is gay they’re usually played by a straight actor (Love, Simon, Brokeback Mountain). If there’s a gay character in a film/show then that is their one and only unique selling point - they are gay - and that’s all they are, that’s their entire character. Lesbians overly sexualised, gays are these promiscuous sassy flamboyants, bisexuals are solely used for 3sum scenes or to be the “bitchy” bite-me (usually female) kinda character.

LGBT representation in the widespread media is disgusting and seeps into the real world, in gay dating its almost impossible to find any interest unless you’re skinny, cute, young looking, feminine or beefy, hairy, manly, straight acting. And anyone else is like an outcast. (That’s a sweeping statement I know there’s way more to that discussion).

But yeah, I like movies that have gay characters but their sexuality isn’t the one and only shining quality from their entire persona, films like Booksmart and Blue is the Warmest Colour both have gay central characters and while both include lesbian sexual scenes and sexuality, their sexual identity is hardly even discussed, they just are gay and that’s that, that’s part of their character sure but they’re SO much more than that and they’re fleshed out and written and performed so well. Try to hit up the more indie lgbt movies to find some better representation.

giphy.gif

Media portrayals like these only make it harder for gay men who don't subscribe to those stereotypes to find real love and acceptance. I know that I have been negatively affected by this sort of stuff, being that I'm on the shorter side and somewhat chubby.

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

Its the same thing in straight culture too. Its unliukely they're gonna make a romance movie based on two ugly or fat characters because its TV. Its stupid but thats the way it is. Of course you'll get the odd indie flick that touches upon it, but thats all

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Not gonna participate in this conversation at least now but just a sidenote, I thought it was cute how Nick Robinson's brother apparently came out as Nick was filming Love, Simon.

Its the same thing in straight culture too. Its unliukely they're gonna make a romance movie based on two ugly or fat characters because its TV. Its stupid but thats the way it is. Of course you'll get the odd indie flick that touches upon it, but thats all

The only time “fat”, “ugly” actors get leading roles in films is in comedy e.g. Shallow Hal, any film with Melissa McCarthy, Rebel Wilson is starting to appear in her own movies, but with the majority of these movies the lead “fat” character is SURROUNDED by beautiful co-stars, that comes down to Hollywood and not believing they can sell a movie without a straight, white, good looking lead. So yeah it sucks for anyone else that isn’t that, that being said I DO feel like LGBT representation in film/tv is a lot more toxic than discrimination against overweight, objectively unattractive people, although it’s all part of the same discussion, alongside race and gender misrepresentation

giphy.gif

It hasn't annoyed me, simply because I do t think too deep about these things. Media has always portrayed the "ideal". The ideal is boring af. Just do you. We are all beautiful in our special ways, and someone out there will see it!

It hasn't annoyed me, simply because I do t think too deep about these things. Media has always portrayed the "ideal". The ideal is boring af. Just do you. We are all beautiful in our special ways, and someone out there will see it!

Lol, I love your optimism, but thinking the ideal/normal is boring is delusional. Why do you think image sells? Why do you think these films/shitty Netflix series have everyone at their feet with those actors straight out of Instagram? Why do think I've suffered bullying for more than ten years because I was obese? Being the ideal is actually what we all (secretly or not) wish we were. Accepting ourselves is the hardest task, especially in a world where everything is turning more and more superficial.

Lol, I love your optimism, but thinking the ideal/normal is boring is delusional. Why do you think image sells? Why do you think these films/shitty Netflix series have everyone at their feet with those actors straight out of Instagram? Why do think I've suffered bullying for more than ten years because I was obese? Being the ideal is actually what we all (secretly or not) wish we were. Accepting ourselves is the hardest task, especially in a world where everything is turning more and more superficial.

Just because something is more popularly valued doesn't make it interesting. The work of Michelangelo is beautiful, and people have thought so for centuries, but it's a copy of a copy of the dreamed up ideal of beauty. I can open up instagram and see bodies that would have made Michelangelo faint and realise that he would never be able to paint something close to that in beauty, but that doesn't make it interesting. Films and shitty netflix series are just recycling the same washed-out ideal of beauty, of a white body, thin and soft if it's a woman, broad and hard if it's a man. The most interesting art, and the art that's the first to be burned by extremist groups, is art that shows different types of beauty in different types of bodies. The people who bullied you were wrong for doing so, and it's understandable that you would start to believe that one type of body is better or more beautiful than another, but the conception of beauty they believed in is a boring simulacrum of beauty that's been done way too many times.

locals only

Just because something is more popularly valued doesn't make it interesting. The work of Michelangelo is beautiful, and people have thought so for centuries, but it's a copy of a copy of the dreamed up ideal of beauty. I can open up instagram and see bodies that would have made Michelangelo faint and realise that he would never be able to paint something close to that in beauty, but that doesn't make it interesting. Films and shitty netflix series are just recycling the same washed-out ideal of beauty, of a white body, thin and soft if it's a woman, broad and hard if it's a man. The most interesting art, and the art that's the first to be burned by extremist groups, is art that shows different types of beauty in different types of bodies. The people who bullied you were wrong for doing so, and it's understandable that you would start to believe that one type of body is better or more beautiful than another, but the conception of beauty they believed in is a boring simulacrum of beauty that's been done way too many times.

the thing is that I agree with you; I never said it was interesting. I just think believing that the ideal is boring is kind of a self-defence mechanism. I see it everyday. With my new image, everyone thinks I'm hot/whatever... back then (barely 2 years ago) everyone rejected me (especially guys).

Do not take it (too personal).

Maybe to him/her it is really boring. We are all different and it does not mean that he/she is faking his opinion for some reason...

I totally understand your point because for example... I started to go to the gym the moment I realised I like boys to be certain way... so I thought that it would be infair of me to want a guy who is athletic while I am not in shape. Yeah... that was my main reason I started to go to gym... so again, I got what you wanna say... but then again... we all do not look at things the same way

Some gays like bear guys and find them hot ... some not

Etc...

Yes of course, and that's why I think these topics, especially when it comes to beauty, it is the perfect mix of subjective and objective (objective as in it's absolutely settled in society so it's the reality we live in). I like short, skinny guys, and maybe that's not what society thinks a man should be, but that's exactly why I like them. I like the delicacy and femininity. For society (objective) it's "too skinny / Go eat a burger", for me it's hot af.