Important Announcement!

LanaBoards will be offline for a few hours later today for updates. Please read the IMPORTANT Site Update thread for more information.

Photo

LA Who Am I To Love You

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   AlexParliament

AlexParliament

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:48 AM

“LA, who am I to need you when I have needed so much, asked for so much, but what I have been given, I'm not sure yet
I may never know that either until I'm dead“

Been thinking about this part. So many people come to LA expecting magic to happen. The thing is you make your own luck in LA. So many people move to LA thinking the city will solve all their personal problems that they bring with them. Lana says that she won’t know her true legacy until she is dead. No artist ever finds out their true legacy because your legacy isn’t written when your alive. So this is very powerful.
  • PARADIXO, Clampigirl, jordo017 and 1 other like this

#102 OFFLINE   Mer Boy

Mer Boy

the board, the lightning, the thunder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationMalibu

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:55 AM

“LA, who am I to need you when I have needed so much, asked for so much, but what I have been given, I'm not sure yet
I may never know that either until I'm dead“

it's a poetic way of saying "Do you think I have time for imbeciles like you all? All you do is pay me dust"

• WilshireBoulevard and AlexParliament like this

catch a wave, and take in the sweetness

#103 OFFLINE   COLACNT

COLACNT

BAMBI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 02:15 AM

i'm honestly in love with the instrumental, and the way her cadence swings from sweetness to fucking schizophrenia. the audio companion was a genius move 

• takeitdoen, the bootleg queen, Mer Boy and 1 other like this

ZRBNill.jpg

#104 OFFLINE   AlexParliament

AlexParliament

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:11 AM

it's a poetic way of saying "Do you think I have time for imbeciles like you all? All you do is pay me dust"

You could also interpret it like that too; as a rebuttal to the entertainment industry establishment where corporate greed rips off the creator. Being an artist is not an easy job. 

#105 OFFLINE   HydroponicWeeds

HydroponicWeeds

Hot Potato

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
  • LocationRings of Fire, Hell
  • Fan Since:2012

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:33 AM

this is such a beautiful track. just wish the album was on apple music dammit.

giphy.gif

#106 OFFLINE   Allan Reis

Allan Reis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:39 AM

this is so beautiful omg

• Venice likes this

#107 OFFLINE   AnarKissed

AnarKissed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:47 AM

Excellent poem. Alas, only L.D.R. holds the key to deciphering its mysteries; but that won't stop us from trying...to de-code the enigmas...
  • PARADIXO likes this

#108 OFFLINE   Al3c

Al3c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

Oh Lana, you brilliant b*tch, constantly trying to get me emotional!
Well, you have succeeded.
I've only listened to 6 poems from Violet, so I still don't have the full vision, as we can say, but out of the six this one was truly special and made me cry. The way she is fully committed to the words... God, I'm speechless!
Still need to process, though, because A LOT is going on down here :hdu:
  • Lanalouis1, Venice and HighbytheSea like this

If he's as bad as they say, then I guess I'm cursed / Looking into his eyes, I think he's already hurt / He's already hurt.

#109 OFFLINE   Elle

Elle

lesbritish

• Administrators
  • 6,156 posts
  • LocationLDN —> ATL —> NYC
  • Fan Since:January 29th, 2012
  • Favourite LDR Song:Yayo (AKA Version)

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

Lana uploaded a video of her reciting the poem - 

• fl0ridakil0s, Lanalouis1, Hallo Heaven and 1 other like this

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

#110 OFFLINE   Trash Magic

Trash Magic

Listens to people who can sing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:40 PM

Alternate ending

I'm yours if you'll have me

Quietly or loudly

Sincerely, your daughter

and regardless you are mine

• CinnamonGirl and urgirl like this

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

#111 OFFLINE   How2Disappear

How2Disappear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Fan Since:2014

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:07 AM

I'm from the Sacramento area and we call it Sac. I hear "I love Sac so why did I...."
  • Elle, PARADIXO, RormanNockwell and 1 other like this

#112 OFFLINE   AlexParliament

AlexParliament

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:18 AM

I'm from the Sacramento area and we call it Sac. I hear "I love Sac so why did I...."

My cousin who lives there calls it that!
  • How2Disappear likes this

#113 OFFLINE   How2Disappear

How2Disappear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Fan Since:2014

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:22 AM

My cousin who lives there calls it that!

She said it was her first show in Sac, but not that it was her first time there in general if I'm remembering correctly. I think she said it was a very special city to her . I guess we'll see when the physical book comes
  • CinnamonGirl, Hallo Heaven and AlexParliament like this

#114 OFFLINE   99centlips

99centlips

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:59 AM

what happened between her and the new york post?

yeah what's her beef with new york post? 

• CinnamonGirl and Venice like this

#115 OFFLINE   Venice

Venice

lil peep & lana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:21 PM

Unquestionably one of the best (on par w SportCruiser imo or just is). I'm impressed with how she personified a city and compared her life, wants and needs to those of LA. All kinds of lines stand out. Sometimes I'll play it just to have it in the background, or if I see it floating around in a playlist and am reminded of how beautiful it is - I think it's because it's spoken word that I don't exactly have to be in a certain mood to listen like I do with a song. 

• irongates and sanchez like this

giphy.gif    you'll be fine, as long as you're mine

#116 OFFLINE   the bootleg queen

the bootleg queen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:05 PM

I really like how Lana is using an extended metaphor to describe her feelings for L.A by comparing it to a past lover a lover who was probably prosperous, came from money, successful and her lover is a somebody in life which is what L.A at the surface level embodies.

This is very reminiscent of the idea of the american dream which is prevalent through a lot of her music e.g the song Hollywood where she dreams of becoming that somebody and becoming prosperous in that way mentally and spiritually yet in this poem she questions who is she to dream when she is only a dreamer and has nothing else which creates a sense of self-deprecation and almost calling herself a burden in which she idolises L.A and thus idolises this lover especially in comparison to San Francisco and N.Y which are most likely her long lost exes.  

In the later part of the poem she is also reiterating the idea that she is the other woman who belongs to no-one etc. which she has expressed in songs such as Ride and she describes herself as being an other woman to all these places and because of this realises that she can only belong in this lover's hands because 1.A lover in New York or New York itself has treated her so badly leading her to hate it and San Francisco or the lover there probably does not attend to her needs and makes her feel even more lost and more than anything it seems like Lana needs a sense of belonging and commonality which only L.A or that lover can give her.

Because she is that way being what she describes an orphan, belonging to no-one she says she must love L.A/him the most and she says to this lover/place that they do not have to offer anything more than what they are and in return she will love him/L.A deeper than the surface level which most people do and love deep and eternally.

In this poem she allows us to she her complex relationship between L.A/her lover and lets us visualise it in a highly memorable and tangible way making us visualise her lover, the way she loves and their general relationship as striking and very heartfelt and allowing the readers to thoroughly feel the sense of vulnerability we feel in love.  

• PARADIXO and drugsdesire like this

#117 OFFLINE   drugsdesire

drugsdesire

♡hello kitty luvr♡

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Fan Since:2017

Posted 04 August 2020 - 11:42 PM

this poem is so heartbreaking that i can't listen to it often because it hurts so bad :defeated:
  • PARADIXO likes this
𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘩𝘰𝘵

#118 ONLINE   PARADIXO

PARADIXO

Aarón

• Moderators
  • 4,746 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Favourite LDR Song:Mariners apartment complex

Posted 05 August 2020 - 05:50 PM

I usually don't get too inspired by LDR or add elements of her music into my own art, but this one inspired me to write a song for my favorite city, about how much I want to live there, how much I feel like I belong there. I'll see how it turns out!

• Venice likes this

🏆Daddy of the Year 2019 - Self Loathing Poet Award for Best Blogger 2020 - Daddy of the Year 2020🏆

#119 OFFLINE   WhiteHydrangea

WhiteHydrangea

Once The Youngest Of Rainbows

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Locationdon't feel like saying anything sassy/sexual/etc

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

A masterpiece
  • PARADIXO and Venice like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic