76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Coney Island King

Coney Island King

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:05 AM

Rank, rate, whatever, but comment on each track, i'm sure most of us here have heard the new album a good 5-10 times by now.......

Ride - 5/5
I liked it when i initially heard it, but after having it all this time i have really fallen in love with it and think it's one of her best songs. So gorgeous.

American - 5/5
I love it, i have the same feelings about this that i do about Ride. Everyone seems to love it to, i wouldn't be surprised if it's the next single.

Cola - 5/5
My favourite song on the album. The build up to the finale is amazing. I think live this could be really great, Lana's beehive hair might explode trying dem notes though.

Body Electric - 4/5
A little LESS creepy than the live version, but still dark and sexy. I was hoping for them Satanic "wooooo ooooh ahhhh" ad libs at the end like when she does it live, but that's ok. Cool song.

Blue Velvet - 4/5
It's nice, but i do need to be in the mood for it. The short running time works i think, it gives you just enough, any longer and it may have felt a little boring.

Gods and Monsters - 3.5/5
I want to love it, i really do, but i just don't. I do like it though, but it's missing something, maybe it's the utterly flat chorus, but i just feel like the track goes nowhere. It just stays the same the whole time and then just....ends. Anyway, it's still got a nice beat though and i like the "feel" of the song. Maybe it will grow more on me over time.

Yayo - 4/5
I prefer the Nevada version, but this is still nice. Considering everyone acted like it was the end of the world when the snippet for this new version came out, i'm happy to say that i don't think it's anywhere near as AWFUL as fans make it out to be. It works for this album, i'll just leave it at that.

Bel Air - 5/5
So dreamy and cinematic, i think it would make a nice final single to this whole BTD 2 year era. The vocal is beautiful.

Burning Desire - 4/5
I still think it should have been on the actual disc, but at least it's being kept as an iTunes bonus, so many people will still hear it. Very simple little track, but i do really love it. 1, 2, 3 lyrics......but the production is cool.

#2 ONLINE   PrettyBaby

PrettyBaby

Whole World's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Ride - 2/5
This song is sort of nice but... boring. There is just so much better stuff out there, including Lana stuff, to listen to.

American - 3/5
A little nicer, not quite as boring. I plan to find a playlist to stick it in and hope that does it justice so it can grow on me.

Cola - 1/5
I think this song is entirely about drugs of various sorts. Which isn't a bad thing; I just have no life experience with substances beyond alcohol and caffeine; so I lack a point of identification. Though I have plenty of experience swapping one emotional addiction for another. So I could probably be persuaded to look deeper. (I just don't want to look any deeper into the pussy right now; I mean what the actual fuck?)

Body Electric - 4/5
I'm pleased with how the studio version has turned out. BE is now worth listening to. Posted Image

Blue Velvet - 2/5
:tapsfingersinirritation: Boring.

Gods and Monsters - 3/5
I like parts of it, and don't like other parts. I hope when I understand it better I will like it better.

Yayo - 3/5
This version is lovely in its own way, but the spaciness makes me think this song is about the drug after all. I just don't see a lot of reason to listen to this one rather than the love song (yes, love song, dammit) that is Yayo 2010.

Bel Air - 5/5
I adore this song so much. Bel Air is the entire point of the Paradise edition for me (at first listen. I am all about the ear candy.) Bel Air delivers. I hope when I understand it better I will still love it.

Burning Desire - 3/5
Yeah, probably should have been on the album. Nice moments. Not the best. But better than half of what made it on the second CD imo.

#letdownsofar #ohwellatleastnowwehavebelair #ducksandrunsforcover
  • TrailerParkDarling, sukiedelrey and Poison Ivy like this

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

#3 OFFLINE   SitarHero

SitarHero

Genius

• OG Moderators
  • 12,604 posts
  • Fan Since:Lake Placid Church Choir
  • Favourite LDR Song:Get_Drunk

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

The ugly side of PrettyBaby...

Alright, lemme do this and further put off the paper I should be writing. I'm hesitant to give anything below a 4, tbh, so I'll post my order of preference as well.

Ride - 5/5
A perfect lead single and emotional track overall. The production is actually flawless. I guess it's sad, like any other Lana song, but it's this new feeling of triumph and freedom that I don't think she's ever captured before. I'll say my favorite part is the production.

American - 5/5
I will not stand for the criticism of these lyrics, because this song is a fucking feeling, you know? What's so wrong with a song being felt, sort of visceral, instead of analyzed for brilliant lyrical trickery? The bridge and onward ensures that this is a gem. It's all about the buildup, gradually progressing towards something really satisfying. As for it's content, it's very cute and the melody is one of the best on the album. Can I just say how cute the "like an American" at the end is?

Cola - 5/5
My hands-down favorite. It's not even them ~controversial~ lyrics. Just take in the beautiful instrumentation and the effortless sail of the chorus. Does that make sense? The chorus sails, dammit. Let's not forget the ending. It's so damn hectic. She really needs you to understand the taste of her pussy. It just goes crazy. The high notes are impressive. It reminds me of the bridge to "Match Made in Heaven" (you know, I am your queen), fully realized and perfected.

Body Electric - 4/5
I'm afraid this is a little more lukewarm than I anticipated, but it has it's redeeming qualities. I'm loving the drums, I just wish the final product was a little...darker. The verses seem too quiet and the bridge isn't as emotional as it needs to be. But the chorus, from "we get DOWN" to the dare I say ritualistic chanting of "I sing the body electric", is honestly top-notch. I love a quietly seething song--I just need more happening everywhere but the chorus. Definite demo-itis on this one.

Blue Velvet - 4/5
It sticks out like a goddamn sore thumb, but it's good. Maybe the tracklisting could have been slightly rearranged to prevent its placement on the album from bothering me so much. It's definitely the least exciting song on the album, but her performance on it is pretty good. What is there to say about this one? It's lovely and it has its place. I still weep for what could have been with "Heart-Shaped Box".

Gods & Monsters - 4.5/5
I'm awful close to this song. It's been my most anticipated since it's beginnings in the tracklist as "In the Land of Gods and Monsters". I love when Lana goes dark. This has some of the better lyrics on an album where lyrics are definitely not the strong point. The half of a point it's missing is on account of a bothersome lack of melody. In certain ways, this works, I guess. The chorus is everything, and that intro that got practically the entire fanbase drooling those months ago. Neither of these should be overlooked. This is less a review and more of a defense, but yeah. I pray she performs this live. I bet it'll be great.

Yayo - 4/5
Much better than I expected! Still don't like the initial "bla-ACK motorcycle", but her vocals sound a lot lovelier than I originally would have thought. Although I would say the best part of the 2010 version is the ending, I think I can also say that for this one--but for different reasons. Sure, there isn't an echoing "dark night", but the husky vocals serve this one well. It's more haunting than the original, I can give it that.

Bel Air - 4.5/5
Wow, this goddamn production! I'm no expert, but I think a lot of what Born to Die overdid is made up for flawlessly on this EP. It's not my favorite, but I think it's safe to call it the quintessential Paradise Edition song. Easily the best lyrics on the album. A huge portion of my praise goes to that bridge. This song does what The Paradise Edition does best--it haunts you and simultaneously captivates you.

Burning Desire - 5/5
This song will be the ending of the album for me, whether it's marketed that way or not. Why? It's a perfect ending. Again with that production. I've been loving those often criticized super husky vocals since it first came out. It's just a well-written song, simple and built to mesmerize. Let's be real--it's also the sexiest thing she's ever recorded, which doesn't hurt its score.

Preference:
1. Cola
2. American
3. Ride
4. Burning Desire
5. Gods & Monsters
6. Bel Air
7. Yayo
8. Body Electric
9. Blue Velvet

Watching the progression of songs from Born to Die up and down my favorites, it'll be interesting to see what the result of this is in a few months.

Perhaps I got a bit long-winded there.
  • Hundred Dollar Bill, LipsterDelRey and YUNGATA like this

#4 OFFLINE   Coney Island King

Coney Island King

Expert Member

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Ride - 2/5
This song is sort of nice but... boring. There is just so much better stuff out there, including Lana stuff, to listen to.

American - 3/5
A little nicer, not quite as boring. I plan to find a playlist to stick it in and hope that does it justice so it can grow on me.

Cola - 1/5
I think this song is entirely about drugs of various sorts. Which isn't a bad thing; I just have no life experience with substances beyond alcohol and caffeine; so I lack a point of identification. Though I have plenty of experience swapping one emotional addiction for another. So I could probably be persuaded to look deeper. (I just don't want to look any deeper into the pussy right now; I mean what the actual fuck?)

Body Electric - 4/5
I'm pleased with how the studio version has turned out. BE is now worth listening to. Posted Image

Blue Velvet - 2/5
:tapsfingersinirritation: Boring.

Gods and Monsters - 3/5
I like parts of it, and don't like other parts. I hope when I understand it better I will like it better.

Yayo - 3/5
This version is lovely in its own way, but the spaciness makes me think this song is about the drug after all. I just don't see a lot of reason to listen to this one rather than the love song (yes, love song, dammit) that is Yayo 2010.

Bel Air - 5/5
I adore this song so much. Bel Air is the entire point of the Paradise edition for me (at first listen. I am all about the ear candy.) Bel Air delivers. I hope when I understand it better I will still love it.

Burning Desire - 3/5
Yeah, probably should have been on the album. Nice moments. Not the best. But better than half of what made it on the second CD imo.

#letdownsofar #ohwellatleastnowwehavebelair #ducksandrunsforcover

Praying for you.

What will you do if Bel Air is about drugs?

#5 ONLINE   PrettyBaby

PrettyBaby

Whole World's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

What will you do if Bel Air is about drugs?

Bask in the ear candy :flutter: and reflect on my perpetual question, "who needs actual drugs when there is So. Much. Beauty?!?"

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

#6 OFFLINE   YUNGATA

YUNGATA

~*~ #OGQUEEN ~*~

• OG Moderators
  • 4,134 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • Favourite LDR Song:Radio

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Ride - 3.5/5
Ride is nice, I like the instrumentation but I'm not particularly fond of it lyrically apart from a few lines.

American - 5/5
Perfect really. Upon hearing the first verse I felt this huge rush of warmth and remembered this time when I was living with an old boyfriend and we used to get some kind of intoxicated, put on Graceland by Paul Simon and dance in the kitchen in our underwear while making pancakes. I can't really judge this track objectively because of that. I have very fond feelings towards it.

Cola 4/5
A few things really make this track for me. Firstly, that high note oh God wow. So impressed. Secondly the line
I pledge allegiance to my Dad for teaching me everything he knows
Just because she doesn't sing about family much and I was very moved by that. Do I have daddy issues?

Body Electric 3.5/5
I prefer the live version but it's still a strong track and I'll always be intrigued by it lyrically.

Blue Velvet 4/5
I like this, I don't get you guys. It's so swoony. Have you ever had listened to it with your eyes closed while lying down?

God & Monsters 2/5
Weakest track, in my opinion. It's not that it's bad but it's just kind of background music for me. Like I can listen to it and zone out a little and it's pleasant, but I'm not overly impressed. I do like the surf rock sounding guitar though, very La Sera.

Yayo 4.5/5
To be honest there isn't a lot she could have done to this track that I wouldn't have enjoyed. Only disappoint was the lack of DAAAAARK NIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Bel Air 4/5
It just feels like something Tim Burton would use in a film. I feel like it breaks up the album really nicely too, because it's a different sound to me.

Burning Desire 3.5/5
I like the low vocals. I think it wraps up the album nicely. It's like Bel Air really draws you in and holds you up and this lowers you down slowly and you're left nicely content.
  • Hundred Dollar Bill likes this

tumblr_n5hpyfLKlC1ss8rngo4_400.gif

#7 OFFLINE   Mileena

Mileena

Laura Palmer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationThe Black Lodge

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

ride - 3/5, not so much of a fan, it's just not my style.
american - 5/5, love this one so much.
cola - 5/5, adore it. it's perfection.
body electric - 4/5, it's dope as a studio version, but the live one is still my favourite.
blue velvet - 3/5, like ride, not my style.
gods and monsters - 5/5, my favourite i think, love it.
yayo - 5/5, i'd say it's even better than the nevada version, and i love that song so much.
bel air - 4/5, i haven't listened as much, but it's nice.

lol at my in-depth review :smiles:

4r9w86.jpg

#8 ONLINE   Hundred Dollar Bill

Hundred Dollar Bill

Thunderbolt

• Moderators
  • 5,923 posts
  • LocationMermaid Motel, FL
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Favourite LDR Song:Daytona Meth / HDB / BBM Baby

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Before I rate the individual songs, I just want to make an annoying HDB-styled post on my overall thoughts of the album as a whole. I love it! I like it more than BTD because BTD gets a little monotonous at times and it's too polished, whereas this album is polished differently in a way that I can handle and enjoy. I also think that there's a great variation of styles song-wise. Each song sounds and feels different, which I cannot say the same for about BTD. I do think that BTD has much better lyrics overall. What Paradise lacks in lyrics it makes up for in every other aspect though. Main complaint of Paradise: the bridges. Normally Lana has amazing bridges that are really satisfying, but a lot of these songs don't have that. Blahblah, let's move on to the songs. sagbkjghakljhfajsdfhal

Ride 4.5/5
I think this is a great opening song, very cinematic and emotional. I love how Lana has done more vocal layering in this song and the album in general. I won't give it a 5 because something Maru pointed out a month or so ago stays true with me as well; The song is lovely and beautiful, but it's kind of generic when you think about it. I also would have liked it better if she hit the high note in the bridge a little cleaner because it seems restrained and it sounds like she struggled with it a bit. It's great single material but I can see myself skipping over it in a few months to get to the higher points of the album.

American 5/5
Sitar said a lot for me, I'd have to say we're on the same page about something for once! This song is a great build-up to a really satisying end. I can't say if it's my favorite yet, but it could definitely become so, and even if it doesn't, it's still one of the best on the album. I really just fucking can't with those of you complaining about the lyrics to this song. They are so natural and heartfelt, what is wrong with you. I saw Matt complaining about the line, "I was like, 'Hell yeah, that guy can sing,'" and that irritated me to no end. Guys, she doesn't need to have eloquent adjectives and amazing metaphors in every line of every song. This song is simplistically written yet direct. I feel like she's singing me a page of her diary when I play this song, it's lovely. How else would she have said those lines? There's no other way, this song is perfect. It is a feeling, it's a fucking adventure. I love it.

ALSO-one complaining thought. Does anyone else think it sounds like Lana is singing from behind like, a wall of paper or something? It seems like they used a weird vocal effect, idk. Sorry.

Cola 5/5

You know, after hearing the second snippet, I was really worried that this song would bore me and be one of those songs that you skip after verse one, but DAMN was I wrong. This song is fucking great, and it's so much more than I expected. I wanted to love this song and it has exceeded that feeling for me. It reminds me of vanilla ice cream. It's got the best bridge of the album, which really, it didn't have much competition considering most of the other bridges were lackluster, but it's a really great bridge. This song doesn't build up like American, rather, it sails smoothly until the bridge, and then just fucking EXPLODES in your face (sexual innuendos plz, this song also makes me horny :teehee:). The high note she hits in the bridge is what Jesus died for, the guitar that comes in during the bridge is the blood from God's veins. This song is perfect. It will probably become my favorite, and I don't really doubt that. I also really want to touch on the fact that this song fucking fades out, oh my god. I LOVE it when a good song ends by fading out, this song literally has everything I could ever want.

Body Electric 2.5/5
I'm not even going to touch on this song, it's such a disappointment.
Spoiler

Blue Velvet 4/5
This song is great, but it feels so out of place between Body Electric and Gods & Monsters. Why did they put it there? It should have been near the end, ugh. :facepalm: Anyway, it's a really good song, I don't see why people don't like it. I don't have much to say on it because it's a solid song. I love the Loon here, very well placed. :)

Gods & Monsters 5/5
I love this song! I agree with some complaints others have had about it, but overall I really love the beat and the feel it gives off. The Loon in the chorus fucking kills me and I wish it were a bit louder because I'm a Loon-Lover, no shame. The main thing I want to say is that I am kind of disappointed with the bridge. I wish she had taken some kind of direction with it, it's too short and not different enough from the rest of the song. I'm okay with it though. I'd have given it a 4.5, but I love everything else about the song completely. I think the way that the beat stays the same keeps you in the moment with this song, and the moment is so strong that consistency is a good thing here. The lyrics are definitely better here than most other places. It would probably end up my favorite if it weren't for the bridge, but it's definitely up there. I'm just really happy with it in general though! :)

Yayo 4.5/5
I really like this version, as I far prefer the melody done with piano instead of guitar, but it's no 2010 Yayo, not at all. The lack of echoing/repeating "dark night" in the bridge makes the song feel so... empty. My first listen of this song, I was anticipating that moment so much, and i was so upset that it wasn't there. As I think of it though, I guess that makes the whole feel of the song work to its advantage, because the empty feeling that the silence gives me works really well with the haunting effect of the song. Maybe I'll change my rating from a 4 to a 4.5 when I'm done typing my review.. I like that she sings on beat for the second chorus, as i was worried she'd sing way off for every chorus. It makes me really happy that the Loon is here. :flutter: This song is very violet to me, and this version upsets me a lot more than the 2010 version, in a good (i guess?) way. I LOVE the breathing in the beginning and during the bridge. I love it so much. It kind of sounds like Lana is about to cough in the last chorus, right when she says "I wear your sparkle," lol. Here's a funny thought brought about by that cough, what if Lana didn't just do each song in one take, but the whole album in one take? There's a challenge for you, Lizzy.

Bel Air 5/5
I can see this one creeping up and becoming my favorite overall in a few months. It's absolutely beautiful, and like others have said, best lyrics on the album here. I LOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE the sounds of children in the beginning and end, and sometimes I can hear them during the verses. Birds chirping, too. God, this song is magnificent. :flutter: Here's a confession for you, I thought this song was overrated from the snippets, people were going way too crazy over this song. Now that I have it in full though, I love it and I understand the appeal with it. I like how she sings high in this song, it's like Lucky Ones. I love Lucky Ones. :flutter: This song just makes me feel really nice inside. It makes me want to hug Lana so badly, like, when i meet her, I'm going to thank her for making this song, this song specifically. It's so nice... dreamy sigh

Burning Desire 5/5
This song is so damn catchy. A lot of people said it's a grower, but I liked it right away. I love the huskiness in her voice, it's such a sexy song. It kind of makes me want to have sweaty bear-sex in the middle of a forest right next to the California coast. :creep: One complaint though, and this is going to sound insane coming from me, but... I HATE THE LOON IN THIS SONG. IT DOES NOT BELONG. IT'S SO OUT OF PLACE, WHY THE FUCK DID THEY PUT HIM THERE. It's like, I'm sitting here, sexyfied up, ready to have swex (sweaty + sex = swex :creep:) in the forest, and the bridge comes along, and I'm like yyyeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, enjoying the repitition of it until the Loon comes in like "lol hey wuss6p" ..... <_____< no go away u suck.

askjfhsjklghjk so many words klsajgl
  • Cleopatra, WilleoSoeurs, LipsterDelRey and 1 other like this
14417469274.gif

#9 OFFLINE   JhnMabius

JhnMabius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

RIDE: 5/5: I absolutely love this song since I first heard it, I was expecting a "happy" first single, and when I heard Ride I was like this is so beautiful, glad it got a video.

COLA: 5/5: This song is EPIC in every way, I just wish there was a guitar solo it would made the song even more epic.

AMERICAN: 5/5: This song sounds to me like a christmas song sometimes, its beautiful.

BLUE VELVET: 2/5: Meh.

YAYO: 5/5: I actually prefer this to the original, I can I actually get the trailer park feel from this one and the piano makes it even better.

GODS & MONSTERS: 5/5: My favorite from the EP, the song its perfect in every way, its like a movie and the part where she sings "like Jim Morrison" feels like the wind on a beach, its just AWESOME, I still agree with HundredDollarBill, I was expecting a more epic bridge, not a lazy one, I still love the song for what it is. ALSO DOESNT ANYONE HEAR A MAN COUGHING AT THE END OF THE SONG?

BODY ELECTRIC: 4/5: If I hadn't heard the live version I'd probably love this one, wish it was darker, but its a good song anyway.

BEL AIR: 5/5: GORGEOUS. Perfect way to end an album, the children playing in the background makes it even more beautiful, its a sad incredible song. My second favorite definitively.

BURNING DESIRE: 5/5: This song is pure sex. Love it.

#10 OFFLINE   LadyLana

LadyLana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Ride- 4/5
I do love this song, but the verses can be a little...flat at times? but maybe it's because i've heard it for ages now. I really love the bridge and the chorus after it though! think it's amazing but definitely not the best off of the album so i have no idea why she released it first... :creep:

American- 4.99/5
just amazing but the ONLY this that kind of annoys me is after the chorus there are these chime things that just ruin it for me, but it's amazing and i loooooove it soooo much!

Cola- 5/5
stuck in my head all day and i don't even know the words

Body Electric- 4/5
ammmmazing but compared to American, Cola and Gods and Monsters i don't think it's as good as them so i couldn't give it a 5 but i reaaaaally love it!

Blue Velvet- 3/5
Maybe i'm being generous with this one but i don't think it fits at all with the album. But saying that, it does provide a lighter song in between all the dark ones but i personally prefer her dark songs.

Gods And Monsters- 1000000000000/5
Cannot handle this piece of art :defeated: surprised at the low ratings it got on here. It's the best and you will all deal :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

Yayo- 3.5/5
I loved this song before i even knew it was on Paradise but it just feels so weak comapred to her other songs...especially coming after Gods and Monsters which you all know i fan-girl over. Still pretty good!

Bel Air- 3/5
It's ok, it's haunting but some how i get a summery vibe from it. not as good as the others IMO.

Burning Desire- 3.5/5
I do like it but i felt kind of forced to like it for some reason...LOVE the bridge but the rest....i dunno :L

album overall: 5/5 because the good songs on it are mind blowing that the lower scores don't even compare.... :flutter:

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

I don't have much to say really.

Ride - 3.5/4 - Gets messy towards the end, it's catchy - but I'm just not a huge fan of it.

American 3/5 - The instrumental is lovely, but I'm not a fan of it lyrically.

Cola - 4.5/5 - I really like it, great song. Not perfect, but a great song. My favorite song off the album.

Body Electric (no rating) - I have conflicting opinions since I have no clue what direction she had in mind with this song. The live performances make me think of classic horror, give me memories of films like Carnival of Souls, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, not sure why - those films always pop into mind. But the studio version, and this applies to Gods & Monsters also, make me think of Grimm's Fairy Tales and Goblin's scores for Dario Argento's work - more specifically Suspiria and some of the score for Profondo Rosso. I'm unsure what I think about this song.

Blue Velvet - 4.5/5 - Great cover. I love it. The moans at the beginning I could certainly do without, they feel so forced.

Gods & Monsters - 2.5/5 - I love the opening, but not the rest of the song. It feels really melodramatic.

Yayo - 3/5 - It's not the AKA version, but it's still good.

Bel Air - 3.5/5 - Not a huge fan of it, it'll probably be a grower.

Burning Desire - 4/5 - I really enjoy this song. It's great for car rides for sure. I always feel like I'm speeding through LA when I listen to it.

Overall rating: 3.9/5

#12 OFFLINE   Luda

Luda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

I have to listen to it again tbh.

#13 OFFLINE   Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

GZB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 962 posts
  • LocationTrailer parks & beaches

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Ride - 5/5 - Loved it from the very first listen, the power this song has still amazes me (I tried not to overplay it so it's still special to me). The video helped strengthen my view of it, but I already adored everything about it before. The rhythm, the lyrics, everything.

American - 3.5/5 - I think it's pretty good, has a catchy sound to it, but the lyrics are a bit meh at parts. I like it, just not a favorite.

Cola - 3/5 - it's growing on me, I won't resist it :creep: it's very catchy

Body Electric - 4/5 - I like this one more than I thought I would! The lyrics stuck with me, it's really dramatic like I like 'em (otherwise those mild religious references would be a bit unnecessary) and I find it pretty good.

Blue Velvet - 4/5 - She sings it in a very delicate, haunting way, I enjoy it (and of course the song itself is amazing).

Gods and Monsters - 1/5 - Hate it. Everything from the ridiculous lyrics to the monotonous tone she keeps the entire song to the pretty boring sound of it. Tend to skip it involuntarily when it comes along.

Yayo - 3/5 - Always liked the song itself and the new version brings an... interesting sound to it. My brain still prefers the first version but this one isn't bad.

Bel Air - 5/5 - Adored it from when I first heard the demos! My ears just love it, I feel like playing it constantly, it's such a beautiful song.

Burning Desire - 4.5/5 - Ah this one is so husky-voiced and sexy, in a dark kind of way, makes me want to ride through the night with a dirty biker or something.
  • sukiedelrey likes this

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

#14 OFFLINE   TrailerParkDarling

TrailerParkDarling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

*Listening (mostly) for the first time and typing my review as I go*

Ride - 4/5
This song is the "Born to Die" of the Paradise Edition for me. It's probably my favorite, though others will choose to skip it when it comes up on shuffle. I love the build up and how very Sam's Town it sounds. The drums that come in on I hear the birds on the summer breeze give me life, although I hate the video and I have to say that the monologue is v lame.

American - 2/5
I rated this a 2.. it's not a "bad" song per se, but lyrically- it is weak. Lana describes herself as a poet, and in this song, that does not come across in the slightest. I don't know if she's ripping of Tom Petty or paying homage with the party dress line ("Last Dance with Mary Jane"), but it was just too cheesy, along with all the "likes", "Springsteen is the king" (although this is true), and most of all- the wolf howlings... What is she trying to say about Americans, anyways? (I'm just glad all the artists she listed were, in fact, Americans)

Cola - 2/5
This is the song people will listen to and giggle when she says "pussy." It lacks depth, which is fine- a good, silly song is always welcome- but it's not that either. There is no buildup and there is no..er, for lack of a better term, climax. I've heard her describe this song as tropical and surf, but I am not getting that vibe at all, is it just me? And if this song is about Barrie, I do wonder about the wife lyric- are they actually married? I know your wife.. (because it's her) - but I digress. And it is most annoying that I cannot figure out if is she is saying Holly/Javi/Hubby??? Moreover, it's a bit creepy to sing about what your vagina tastes like and subsequently stating that you pledge allegiance to your dad for teaching you everything he knows. Also "Decorate my neck"..does Lana like pearl necklaces? (Lana, "niceys" is not a word) :P

Body Electric - 4/5
So very autotune-y but I like it. Still not liking her pronunciation of Opry. It's not OPRAY or OPRUUUUI..just Op-ree, said from a girl that spent her youth there. I didn't expect to like this because when she first sang it live, I found the lyrics to be sophomoric and the beat to be dull.. the kind of thing you listen to when you wanna go to sleep. However, I really appreciate what they've done to this song! It's fun to sing your own version, I highly recommend it haha

Blue Velvet - 4/5
This was a great cover for her. It gets a bit old if you play it too much, but it's nice. I hope she does more covers! The only fault is that I wanted her .. pitch? I'm not sure what term to use to be a bit higher.. or a high note would suffice. Usually, when you do a cover, you wanna make it her own- and she's done just that, though I still prefer Bobby Vinton's version.

Gods and Monsters - 31/2-4 out of 5
If she hadn't of mentioned Morrison (my daddy), who knows if it would've rated this high with me but despite the cringe worthy lyrics, it's not too horrible for me. The second verse is where it starts to decline, lyrically and sonically, although the scream is everything. So much buildup and, again, no climax! I wanted an explosion, fireworks, etc. but we get "dope shit up straight to the heart." The final verse is the worst.. it's like she's just rambling shallow little lines.. "if I get a little prettier can I be your baby?" ..kinda messes up the theme of the song. I do think it'd make for a very interesting video, though and I can see how "the tumblr youth" (wow, I'm old) will like this one and Cola most.

Yayo - 1/5
Hate it.. at times she sounds like she's trying too hard and at other times she sounds bored. The entire time she sounds distant and removed when the novelty of the song is that its so personal, sweet, and full of emotion..I do wonder if the stutter (I-I wear your sparkle") was intentional.. moving on..

Bel Air - 4/5
No real complaints with this song, it's just a bit boring. I do picture Lana walking down the Palace of Fontainebleau in the Born to Die video in her white nightgown walking towards "heaven's gates" when I hear this song. It's really pretty and I love when the chorus kicks in and overlaps the verse.

Burning Desire - 4/5
I really like this song but it took some warming up to. I think it was because the first version I had through Itunes was screwy.. it's so great now. It doesn't try to be anything more than it is and it's nice to drive at night to. I really love the little sound in the background during the verse. I'm guessing that's a piano? It sounds ~~ like a piano incognito as wind chimes.. ~~

And I have to say- you can see the influence of the American Beauty soundtrack in this one, which I love...can you picture a plastic bag floating as you listen? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al21Vtlsg4A

Well, that's it- I'm a tough critic but I'll give the PE a 3/5.. with Body Electric being my fave, which is really surprising, and also Ride.

Edit: Sorry I wrote so much!!
  • PrettyBaby, Hundred Dollar Bill, sukiedelrey and 1 other like this

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

#15 ONLINE   Hundred Dollar Bill

Hundred Dollar Bill

Thunderbolt

• Moderators
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

And it is most annoying that I cannot figure out if is she is saying Holly/Javi/Hubby???

Apparently, in the booklet it says "Ah, he's in the sky with diamonds," which pisses me off because that's lame. It sounds like she's saying Harvey to me, and that's how I'll continue to sing it.
  • TrailerParkDarling, sukiedelrey, Poison Ivy and 1 other like this
14417469274.gif

#16 OFFLINE   coxxist

coxxist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Ride 10/10
I think thi

#17 ONLINE   Hundred Dollar Bill

Hundred Dollar Bill

Thunderbolt

• Moderators
  • 5,923 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Bump. :creep:
Come on, guys! This thread is awesome. I want to see more posts in here!
14417469274.gif

#18 OFFLINE   teethclick

teethclick

DO A JIG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I'm probably not gonne write so much under each song 'cause I suck at explaining what I like about a song, if it's not the lyrics. :creep:

Ride 10/10
This song is just perfect. I can't…ugh…just no. Love it.

American 6.5/10
I really like the song, but it's not the most interesting one on the album.

Cola 10/10
:smiles:

Body Electric 9/10
I didn't like it at first, when we got the snippets, but it has grown on me and I love it. The chours are amazing. I don't very often like chours, I usually think they're rather boring, but the drums in this song are just fucking amazing.

Blue Velvet 7/10
I don't have much to say about it, but I really like it.

Gods & Monsters 100000/10 tbh
This song is the best on the album. When she sings "No one’s gonna take my soul away" I just kinda die.

Yayo 5/10
I love the song, but this version isn't that good. And the effect on the vocals kinda annoys me.

Bel Air 8/10
It's good, nothing to say about it really.

Burning Desire 5/10
Love it, but it shouldn't be on there tbh. I'm really glad it isn't on the physical version, since Bel Air is a perfect closing track.

last.fm  

#19 OFFLINE   WilleoSoeurs

WilleoSoeurs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Get ready for my flop review :toofloppy:

Ride - 9/10
To be honest, when this was first announced, my reaction was "Ride? That's a weird name for a single". When it was premiered, I was expecting for something like Dark Paradise + Summertime Sadness epicness, but hell broke. It was on my half play thru. When it reached to the climax where she sing "I'm tired..." part, I was blown away. On par with both Blue Jeans and Video Games, combined with drums and strings, you cannot imagine how this song will blow you away without hearing it.

American - 10/10
From first time hearing the snippet, I marked my word that this song must be the next single. It's catchy and nonetheless, patriotic. The production may be similar with Born To Die, nothing can stop this track from blowing you away with the catchy intro "Play house / Put my favorite record on". Love at first hear. Strings being stitched together with her soft yet high note of "oohhh" makes you wonder, can this lady get any better? Try listen to American while you're in a moving car while looking outside, it fits for me.

Cola - 10/10
"My pussy taste like pepsi cola" - Doesn't it sound catchy to you? Many of us were surprised by her with both positive and negative comment. It is simply the transition of a good Born-To-Die-girl to a more mature Paradise-girl. "Drug, suck it up like vanilla iceys" - Generally can be said as most fans favorite not to mention the outbreak of her voice after that - superbly amazing (the first time i hear her go this high pitch!). The strings in the intro really bring up the mysterious and paired together with her sedated/wasted voice makes the whole song element being projected out - which explains what this song is really all about - cunninglingus. Lana does not sing about her pussy only once, she sang it thrice which makes you ponder - does her pussy really taste like pepsi cola? (Btw, who's Ah he anyway?)

Body Electric - 8/10
The production on this track is fantastic. Why? Hop on your earphone and listen to the instrumental introduction. Not much explanation needed here, this song can be said as the one of the fandom few favorite track after Cola and Gods & Monsters.

Blue Velvet - 7/10
Classic yet, her voice fits perfectly. Even my mom loves it ! Nothing much to say though but it was quite short

Gods and Monsters - 6/10
Okay, I love this track but i have to be honest. Flashing back to the day she posted the 30 second preview of G&M, i was blown away by it. After hearing the full version of it, it sounded abit repetitive, especially the phrase "life imitates art". However, this is the first track which i love after hearing the preview she has posted. The production was precise and i love the smaller details being added into it such as the screaming on second verse. (The intro instrumental was interesting too !)

Yayo - 5/10
At first before the preview was released, I never liked the song. After hearing the preview, it makes me hated it more and more. Though, I force myself to hear to de Lizzy Grant Aka Lana Del Ray version over and over and i fell in love with that version. It is more "prepared". Yayo in Paradise was only being recorded in one shot. Which explains why it has a bit up side down sound wave, or sounded like one of her live version being recorded in studio. Though, I like the new production on this song. It sounded more lullaby-ish than using guitar.

Bel Air - 8/10
Very paradise-ish and dreamy. Even her voice sounded dreamy. Calm and soothing even if you blasted it at night. This is my second before-sleep song after Yayo. I am not fond to this song but after several listens, i fell in love with it.

Burning Desire - 9/10
The intro's piano melody might have indicate that this song is a killer. I was wondering why isn't this song being included in physical release as well? This song is a grower the first time you listen to it ! Then you will hit the repeat button and listen to it over and over again.

Overall - 8/10

I can say that this is my second most anticipated album after Born This Way. Not to mention personal experience on caught up with a bunch of other fans counting down and desperately waiting for the album ! (plus the leak anticipation too LOL). I can say that this EP is just enough to satisfy most of us as 8 track (or 9 if we include the bonus track) is kinda short. Similar to The Fame Monster.

Anticipation for the sales - begin

Willeo Soeurs

• Hundred Dollar Bill likes this

UqS9LtM.jpg

#20 OFFLINE   RileyThomas

RileyThomas

TROUBLE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationCarmen's Basement
  • Favourite LDR Song:LIVE OR DIE

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Firstly, I would like to say how much of a good job Lana has done on this record - it truly showcases her amazing songwriting, vocals & the production, par from one or two songs are great. However, compared to Born To die, I'm unsure. Born To Die still seems so fresh and new & unique and totally different to anything I've ever heard, it's really hard to compare it to Paradise. I mean, I know it's meant to 'finish it off' in a way, but I feel like the songs are SO different on Paradise they shouldn't have attached it to the album - but I guess it was just a marketing strategy on the labels part. I don't know if it's just me, but Paradise just seems to be over so quickly, like many of Lana's songs in fact, they're all very sudden I find myself having to repeat them over and over to understand - but that's art I guess. Anyway let's move on with song rating:

Ride 4/5 - Overall it's a good song, not one of her best, but it's good. I don't know if it's just because I'm bored of it as it has been out for ages, but I always find myself skipping this track. The lyrics are good and it has good elements of production, but I don't know how I feel about it - I actually find it the weirdest single choice EVER, but then again so was Video Games and look what happened there.

American 5/5 - This, for me personally is my favorite song on the EP. Lyrically it's not amazing although it does have some beautiful lines, but it's the melody that really draws my attention & the chorus just fucking slaps bitches right in the face. It really connects with me in a personal way, because it's one of those songs I can feel like I can relate to - Even though, like any Lana song, I'm not 100% sure what she meant when she wrote it, I feel like i have my own interpretations of it that I can fit into my own situations. The only thing I don't like about this song is the line "I don't even know what I'm saying" - I just dislike it very much, it's just as bad as the line "I'm writing this song for you" that some artists feel that they have to put in at least one of their songs - NO JUST NO!

Cola 5/5 - I wasn't looking forward to this song as much as some were, but once I listened to it I must say I have joined the "Cola Craze". I have had the melody stuck in my head since i've listened to it and have been singing the line "my pussy taste like pepsi cola" out loud in classes all week i probably look like a right weirdo, but it's infectious & seductive & it makes Cola. It's definitely a guilty pleasure.

Body Electric 3/5 - I loved this song when we first heard it live, and now we finally have the studio version I feel like time has passed and that I don't really like it anymore. Don't get me wrong overall it's a blazing song and it is a very well thought out piece, but personally I can't feel the connection.

Blue Velvet 4/5 - It was a perfect cover for Lana and it just kills, I twirl when I hear it and that's always a good sign - it's a nice little breather from all the emotional lyrics from the other songs, so I'm kind of glad she has included it into Paradise.

Gods & Monsters 5/5 - For me it ties with 'American', I just can't get enough. I don't really know what to say about it rather than it's one of the most electrifying songs that i have ever heard from Lana - it's a masterpiece. I've seriously been thinking about getting "Life Imitates Art~Life Isn't That Hard" tattooed somewhere on my body in a few years, it's just so simple yet so true.

Yayo 4/5 - I like Yayo, I really do. I'm not going to write much about this - But I'm just going to say that i prefer the AKA version, simply because I don't really like her dramatic vocals on this version - too overproduced. I'll stick with the AKA version.

Bel Air 5/5 - "You're divine, didn't anyone ever tell you that BEL IS A FUCKING MASTERPIECE OF A SONG, THE PIANO OMFG, THE LYRICS OMFG, BEL AIR OMFG".

Burning Desire 4/5 - I just feel like this & 'Ride' should swap places, that is all.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users