SitarHero

Genius

• OG Moderators
  • 12,604 posts
  • Fan Since:Lake Placid Church Choir
  • Favourite LDR Song:Get_Drunk

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

Posted Image

Will you review the album already, Maurice?!

#42 OFFLINE   Monicker

Monicker

?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationThe Pale Blue Dot

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

Will you review the album already, Maurice?!

Shit's long, dawg, like, too long. I need to calm the fuck down. BRB.
"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

#43 OFFLINE   NamiraWilhelm

NamiraWilhelm

Queef of Disaster

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast, Aus
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Oh, Namira, there is a Paradise discussion thread. Well, it's "Rate Paradise", but I could merge the two and give the Frankenthread a more apt name.

i asked where the official discussion thread was, people said there was only a rate paradise thread and not a true discussion thread and agreed we should make one! So poo, quite frankly!
Posted Image

#44 OFFLINE   SitarHero

SitarHero

Genius

• OG Moderators
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

i asked where the official discussion thread was, people said there was only a rate paradise thread and not a true discussion thread and agreed we should make one! So poo, quite frankly!

Well now we have one all-purpose thread for both :legend:

#45 OFFLINE   NamiraWilhelm

NamiraWilhelm

Queef of Disaster

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast, Aus
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

Although my post now looks a bit mental lol. Not that i can be bothered to change it. Ah well. :mj:
Posted Image

#46 OFFLINE   PrettyBaby

PrettyBaby

Whole World's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

In order of preference, with new ratings (having spent time with the songs for a week)...

1. Bel Air 5/5
2. American 3.5/5 (it's growing on me)
3. Ride 3/5
4. Body Electric 3/5
5. Burning Desire 3/5
6. Cola 3/5
7. Yayo 2.5/5
8. Blue Velvet 2/5
9. Gods & Monsters 2/5 (I wanted to like it, but the melody doesn't do anything for me)

Bel Air is the only song from TPE that's really special to me. As I said in the song meanings thread, I think this song is a love letter to her idols and her fans. On the surface, "Bel Air" seems to be about a stalker, waiting outside the gates of a celebrity home. So it's a lovely creepfest like "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, right? But wait! We know how Lana feels about her inspirations. The lyrics sound like she's almost trying to re-inspire an artist whose star has fallen. So it's more from the point of view of a fan... but I sort of think she must have in mind, too, the special relationship she has with her fans. I think the cycle of inspiration is another form of paradise for Lana.

And to recap what I've said about Cola, I no longer think its subtext is drug use, but rather, she's using some drug language as a metaphor for the paradise of sex.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

#47 OFFLINE   Auto-Tuned Loon

Auto-Tuned Loon

BIRD WORLD CITIZEN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationA cage in Emile Haynie's basement
  • Favourite LDR Song:I Can Fly

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Posted Image

What happened to moderators disciplining sluts who make death threats?

Some animals are more equal than others, apparently.

A bad sample, repeated often with unwarranted glee.

#48 OFFLINE   Monicker

Monicker

?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

So i’ve had some time to really sit with the record and i’ve jotted down many thoughts. I tried to keep this short (really!) but who am i kidding, this shit is long as hell, so my apologies (hey, you don't have to read it :P). There are already some good critiques on the more conceptual/thematic/lyrical overarching stuff, so i’ll mostly leave that alone, as i probably couldn’t comment on that stuff any better than some of you already have, and i’ll focus more on...surprise, surprise...the “technical” stuff.

Spoiler

• PrettyBaby, evilentity, SitarHero and 6 others like this

#49 OFFLINE   SitarHero

SitarHero

Genius

• OG Moderators
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

Um, please talk about Burning Desire and it's use of a sitar :uh: I was building up to that review the entire time I spent reading and then...nothing.

#50 OFFLINE   PepsiCola

PepsiCola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

So i’ve had some time to really sit with the record and i’ve jotted down many thoughts. I tried to keep this short (really!) but who am i kidding, this shit is long as hell, so my apologies (hey, you don't have to read it :P). There are already some good critiques on the more conceptual/thematic/lyrical overarching stuff, so i’ll mostly leave that alone, as i probably couldn’t comment on that stuff any better than some of you already have, and i’ll focus more on...surprise, surprise...the “technical” stuff.

Spoiler

Ahhhhhh! You totally made me look at Bel Air in a new light :whoot:
  • PrettyBaby and Monicker like this
Posted Image

#51 OFFLINE   greymillenium

greymillenium

MAGI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationPurple Wig

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

Spoiler

Average: 3.89

• PrettyBaby and Monicker like this

giffix-1.gif

#52 OFFLINE   Monicker

Monicker

?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Um, please talk about Burning Desire and it's use of a sitar :uh: I was building up to that review the entire time I spent reading and then...nothing.

You know, i momentarily forgot about Burning Desire. I had been waiting to see if somehow it would be available in lossless, and then i just forgot about it because i never liked it. Undoubtedly my least favorite of the bunch--she's just singing the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida melody throughout the entire song. I don't even have it. Someone wanna hook me up with a copy?

Anyway, doesn't belong in the review/rating for the record, as it's an iTunes only bonus.

Spoiler

Average: 3.89

I really loved this review!

#53 OFFLINE   SitarHero

SitarHero

Genius

• OG Moderators
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

Cola [5] Lana Del Rey's mythos escalates in this track. Lana, with all her gravitas, declares the very specific taste of her pussy over the throbbing bass. The close harmonies of the bridge are topped off with Lana Del Rey scat singing like an electric guitar in the climax. What more do you want?

Yes, her pussy tastes like gravitas Posted Image

You know, i momentarily forgot about Burning Desire. I had been waiting to see if somehow it would be available in lossless, and then i just forgot about it because i never liked it. Undoubtedly my least favorite of the bunch--she's just singing the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida melody throughout the entire song. I don't even have it. Someone wanna hook me up with a copy?

Anyway, doesn't belong in the review/rating for the record, as it's an iTunes only bonus.

You haven't listened to it enough. Bonus review? Posted Image

Shout out to Neal's gifs open in a separate tab.

I'm afraid I have a mere iTunes purchase of Burning Desire and wouldn't want to hurt your ears.

#54 OFFLINE   PrettyBaby

PrettyBaby

Whole World's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Spoiler

#feelinglikeaflopfan :(

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

#55 OFFLINE   PepsiCola

PepsiCola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Okay first off, I like the idea of Paradise more than the actual album.

RIDE
732844794027/5
Omfg. Just...I can't even. This song is so triumphant! At first it annoyed me so much because I bought the iTunes Single version and on the part "Don't leave me nowwww" "Don't say goodbyeeee" IT WAS SO STATICY AND BADLY MASTERED! But the album version is much better ;3 I LOVE JUST OMFG this part "I hear the birds on the summer breeze I drive fast"
My only complaint is that it doesn't really have that 'paradise' feel. I think more of like "Faster Pussycat" with cowboys and palm tree's....

MURICAN'
3/5
Loved the snippet. I just hate the verses and the only part that really stands out to me is the "You make me Cray Cray you make me wiiiiiillllddd"
But the strings in the final chorus just redeems it completely!

PUSSY
5/5
My god that chorus.........just wow.

BODY ELECTRIC
3/5
Hasn't grown on meh yet.

BLUE VELVET
5/5
So beautiful. The production is over the top and the loon noises. Just wow. Her voice was made for this song. Can't wait to hear it live. The short time keeps it from getting boring IMO

GODS & MONSTERS
5/5
This just continues with that whole entire religious Paradiso theme. I ACTUALLY HATE THIS SONG.

Yayo
5/5
More chiling than the original. I don't like her voice in it though..../:

Bel Air
279482027198379292/5
OMFG JUST AHHAHAHAHAHA LOVE THIS SONG SO BEAUTIFUL OMFG OMFG OMFG

Overall rating: 4.5/5

Posted Image

#56 OFFLINE   James19709

James19709

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 849 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Spoiler

What about Burning Desire?

#57 OFFLINE   Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

GZB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 962 posts
  • LocationTrailer parks & beaches

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Monicker, you beautiful being, you just made Paradise 10 times better for me! :flutter:
  • Monicker and Hundred Dollar Bill like this

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

#58 OFFLINE   lola

lola

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Ride 3.5/5
I never really liked Ride when it first came out but it's actually very nice. It's so personal and just sounds beautiful. I love that Lana sings so slowly in this song, she seems a bit rushed in a few other songs. The instrumental is beautiful, I like the lyrics and the whispering's nice too. And the video...

American 2/5
All right, I really don't get why everyone likes American so much. It's better than the snippet but...i don't think it's that special. It does sound nice but...I just don't like it that much. Also, in parts of it she really sounds like Taylor Swift and that just doesn't fit. The lyrics really aren't anything creative, in my opinion.

Cola 1/5
Ok, everyone was saying how absolutely fucking amazing this song is and just...no. I don't like it. The "My pussy tastes like Pepsi Cola" gets really repetitive. The lyrics are...I feel like she just wrote them because they're "beautiful" and help her image as the badass All-American girl.

Body Electric 2.5/5
I'm not sure about Body Electric. I don't like that she sings the lyrics down so quickly. When she stretched the words live, the song was haunting. The instrumental also isn't as good as the live version. I kinda like it but I will probably listen to the live versions, those sound beautiful. The lyrics...she says "Body Electric" 25 times. I know Lana likes to repeat phrases but that's way too much. That thump in the end sounds like Lana had just been decapitated.

Blue Velvet 0/5
Oh holy lord, why did I have to listen to that song again? It's boring and It makes me sleepy. She didn't write it so I'm not going to say anything about the lyrics.

Gods & Monsters 5/5
Fuck yeah, give it to me, this is heaven what I truly want...Gods & Monsters is my favourite from the Paradise Edition. It's beautiful. I love the instrumental and I love the way she sings the lyrics. The lyrics aren't boring neither are they too repetitive. The chorus is a beauty.

Yayo 5/5
Yayo has always been a beauty and I love what they've done to it. I was afraid they would ruin it but I think it's beautiful. I think it's lovely to hear Lana sing a Lizzy song. It's just so different, it's very Lizzy but also very Lana, it's something completely different. I also like that it's so jazzy. Jazz is good.

Bel Air 1.5/5
Bel Air was a major disappointment. When I first heard the snippet in the teaser trailer, I thought it sounded beautiful and I thought it would become my favourite from the Paradise Edition. It does sound beautiful but...I'm not sure how to say it. It has this one sound (the piano, her breathy voice and the children) and that's the song. It just sounds the same the entire time and that's so boring to me.

Burning Desire 1/5
Lana, I get it. You're horny as fuck. You don't have to moan into my ears for another 3 minutes and 51 seconds to tell me that. The lyrics are nothing special, neither is the instrumental. If you want to get your girl or guy horny, sure, you can sing this to them but it's not a particularly good song. It's also way too repetitive

Paradise EP 21.5/45

Ok, this wasn't that detailed but you get the idea. Ride, Gods & Monsters and Yayo are probably going to be the only song I won't skip if they come on on Shuffle. I'm pretty disappointed by the Paradise Edition but at least I got three new songs I like.
  • PrettyBaby and NamiraWilhelm like this

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

#59 OFFLINE   SitarHero

SitarHero

Genius

• OG Moderators
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Paradise EP 21.5/45

Ok, this wasn't that detailed but you get the idea. Ride, Gods & Monsters and Yayo are probably going to be the only song I won't skip if they come on on Shuffle. I'm pretty disappointed by the Paradise Edition but at least I got three new songs I like.

Whereas Gods & Monsters is many other people's biggest disappointment. These conflicting opinions are interesting me.

Repent immediately for scoring your lord and savior Cola so low.
  • iloveguineapigs likes this

#60 OFFLINE   lola

lola

Advanced Member

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Whereas Gods & Monsters is many other people's biggest disappointment. These conflicting opinions are interesting me.

Repent immediately for scoring your lord and savior Cola so low.

I'm unique, okay?
  • Hundred Dollar Bill likes this

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users