76 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Fluorine

Fluorine

Element No. 9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Apart from "Bel Air" and maybe "Body Electric," nothing on "Paradise" is as haunting as the best moments on "Born To Die."

I'm not necessarily disappointed in the EP, since I like almost everything on it. It just doesn't get under my skin as much. "Born To Die" is one of those rare albums that can still give me chills long after the point I should have overplayed the thrill out of it. I'm not sure if "Paradise" will hold up the same way yet.
  • PrettyBaby likes this

Posted Image

iamamiwhoami purity ring jessie ware grimes twin shadow

#62 ONLINE   Hundred Dollar Bill

Hundred Dollar Bill

Thunderbolt

• Moderators
  • 5,923 posts
  • LocationMermaid Motel, FL
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Favourite LDR Song:Daytona Meth / HDB / BBM Baby

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

and maybe "Body Electric," nothing on "Paradise" is as haunting as the best moments on "Born To Die."

But the studio version is so horrible. :defeated:
14417469274.gif

#63 OFFLINE   Fluorine

Fluorine

Element No. 9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

But the studio version is so horrible. :defeated:

I like the live version better too, especially for her vocals on it. I don't think the album version is bad, though, at least the melody wasn't messed with.

Posted Image

iamamiwhoami purity ring jessie ware grimes twin shadow

#64 OFFLINE   redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

I just got round to getting the Paradise edition today. I just thought it had 8 extra songs (disc 2) didnt know there was also 3 bonus songs on disc 1 :)

#65 OFFLINE   13beachess

13beachess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:00 PM

woah, there hasn't been much of a discussion on here since like Paradise's actual release lmao but: I didn't care much for it before but I've come to love Yayo. I actually prefer Paradise Yayo over the original now. :defeated:

• Bad Santa likes this

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

#66 OFFLINE   Groupie Lover

Groupie Lover

Groupie Lover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Fan Since:He was born

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:18 AM

I used to hate this ep but I consider it as her most creative approach in her whole discography after BTD, meaning the concept behind the EP, the visuals we got, the tour stage and looks we got, all based around the Paradise EP concept

• strange weather, Afterparty, Ultra Violet and 3 others like this

i will love you until the end of time.

#67 OFFLINE   Ultra Violet

Ultra Violet

angels forever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,521 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Fan Since:October 2012

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:32 PM

My opinion on this EP changed so much from first listen to like 10th listen. It came out as soon as I became a fan, but was still in critique-mode. At first I only liked Ride, blue velvet, gods and monsters, burning desire and Bel Air.

I knew Cola, Body Electric and Yayo were beautiful and creative but something about them rubbed me the wrong way, but when I had time to properly listen to it all on a road trip, I quickly realised they were some of her best work.
I thought American was boring but it really soothed me when I needed it and I love it for that.
I think it's definitely her most talented album
  • late bloomer likes this

#68 OFFLINE   Doll Harlow

Doll Harlow

give me your diamonds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Fan Since:August 2015

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:36 PM

This is thematically some of her best work. Tropico and the live shows also really took this era to a grand level of opulence.  :flutter:

• strange weather, PARADIXO, SlowGinFizzzz and 5 others like this

#69 OFFLINE   domandapiano

domandapiano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa.
  • Fan Since:2012

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:07 PM

I like Paradise!

Ride and Gods and Monsters are God Tier. 

Bel Air and American are beautiful, soothing tracks that I like to listen to when I'm feeling breezy. 

Blue Velvet is nice and I don't usually skip

Cola I've never really cared for that much but its fine.

Body Electric is actually a nice song but its produced so much more quietly than anything else on the record and that aggravates me so I don't really listen to it. 

Yayo is a nice nod to her past but its not as good as the AKA version. 

• Bad Santa likes this

#70 OFFLINE   recklessdaughter

recklessdaughter

gold dust woman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Locationthe undying lands
  • Fan Since:2013

Posted 14 December 2019 - 04:31 PM

I feel like Paradise is weirdly under appreciated amongst Lana fans and I’ve never understood it. Anyway, Paradise is a great album. At least I think so. With only 8 songs and a runtime just over a half hour, it feels the most like an old classic album out of all her albums. And to me it’s always been almost a jazzy psychedelic rock album (I know it’s not really). And all the songs are amazing too. My favourite song on the album has always been Body Electric and it’s probably even still one of my favourite songs of hers in general. And idk if this is weird, but the album as a whole always gave me Janis Joplin vibes even though it doesn’t sound like her music at all... idk. I just love this album and think it deserves more appreciation.
  • strange weather, CrazySister, LemonadeHeavens and 3 others like this

#71 OFFLINE   daphnedinkley

daphnedinkley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:36 PM

criminally underrated EP. although it's sonically cohesive, it really does feel like every song has it's own little vibe to it, it's own little quirk, it's own little touch of magic. i actually see paradise as lana's most cinematic work, by far, and every song is soooo damn tight (except maybe its version of yayo lmao) i can't see why people underrate it.

• Neptune, LemonadeHeavens, ArtDecoDelRey and 2 others like this

#72 OFFLINE   Bad Santa

Bad Santa

QUIVERING MEMBER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationHoneymoon
  • Fan Since:2011- Video Games

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:20 AM

Cola is a fucking banger. Love this album to pieces. Its currently loaded into the tape deck in my car. 

• LemonadeHeavens and recklessdaughter like this

\ae558ecabe33abd745fc377c6004138e--cat-ar

#73 ONLINE   LemonadeHeavens

LemonadeHeavens

i'm a one king daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:28 AM

Paradise is so underrated! It has so many classics, such as Ride, Cola, Body Electric, but the record itself seems so overlooked as a whole. Even I seem to underestimate how much I enjoy this EP, such a gem in her discography. To me, it's like a mix between Born To Die and Honeymoon. Also Cola is such an amazing song.

• Bad Santa and recklessdaughter like this

#74 OFFLINE   PARADIXO

PARADIXO

Daddy of the Year 2019/20

• Moderators
  • 4,021 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Favourite LDR Song:Change

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:35 AM

Ride - 2/5
This song is sort of nice but... boring. There is just so much better stuff out there, including Lana stuff, to listen to.

American - 3/5
A little nicer, not quite as boring. I plan to find a playlist to stick it in and hope that does it justice so it can grow on me.

Cola - 1/5
I think this song is entirely about drugs of various sorts. Which isn't a bad thing; I just have no life experience with substances beyond alcohol and caffeine; so I lack a point of identification. Though I have plenty of experience swapping one emotional addiction for another. So I could probably be persuaded to look deeper. (I just don't want to look any deeper into the pussy right now; I mean what the actual fuck?)

Body Electric - 4/5
I'm pleased with how the studio version has turned out. BE is now worth listening to. tomato.gif

Blue Velvet - 2/5
:tapsfingersinirritation: Boring.

Gods and Monsters - 3/5
I like parts of it, and don't like other parts. I hope when I understand it better I will like it better.

Yayo - 3/5
This version is lovely in its own way, but the spaciness makes me think this song is about the drug after all. I just don't see a lot of reason to listen to this one rather than the love song (yes, love song, dammit) that is Yayo 2010.

Bel Air - 5/5
I adore this song so much. Bel Air is the entire point of the Paradise edition for me (at first listen. I am all about the ear candy.) Bel Air delivers. I hope when I understand it better I will still love it.

Burning Desire - 3/5
Yeah, probably should have been on the album. Nice moments. Not the best. But better than half of what made it on the second CD imo.

#letdownsofar #ohwellatleastnowwehavebelair #ducksandrunsforcover

this user hates drugs

• Fusel, Bad Santa and Pico Boulevard like this

#75 OFFLINE   ArtDecoDelRey

ArtDecoDelRey

valerie's disciple

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA
  • Fan Since:2014

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:39 AM

american is and will always be criminally underrated

• CrazySister, Bad Santa, LemonadeHeavens and 2 others like this

giphy.gif

#76 ONLINE   PrettyBaby

PrettyBaby

Whole World's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 05:57 PM

this user hates drugs

Lol no, I'm scared of drugs. I'm sensitive to things like over-the-counter medication, so I take children's cold meds. I've been told if I ever try less than medical-grade marijuana I could have a seriously bad reaction because of my sensitivities. I'm looking forward to trying pot if it ever becomes legal in my state, so I can get an Rx for the quality stuff.

#lifegoals

Paradise, now, I never listen to anymore  :teehee:

• PARADIXO likes this

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

#77 OFFLINE   lernerderrey

lernerderrey

maharaja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Locationyer mind cannot even imagine
  • Fan Since:January 2012

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:15 PM

i remember being so excited for this! a perfect lil follow up to BTD! LANA WORK WITH EMILE AGAIN THANKS!!!!!!1111111

RIDE: THE WHITE NOISE BEFORE THE SONG IS ICONIC 

AMERICAN: I ALWAYS HEAR LOTS OF GOLDS AND REDS WITH THIS SONG. THE MUSIC IS SO ODD

COLA: MY PUSSY TASTES LIKE PEPSI COLA 

BODY ELECTRIC: STUDIO VERSION IS TRASH. the live version she played before it was release WOULD ALWAYS DESTROY MY BODY. 

BLUE VELVET: BEST PRODUCED SONG ON THE EP IMO CHRIST EVERYTHING IS SO SIMPLE AND ORCHESTRAL BUT NOISY AT THE SAME TIME HELP 

GODS AND MONSTERS: L. A. L. A. L. A. L. A. L. A. THIS SONG ALSO HAS INCREDIBLE PRODUCTION WE DONT DESERVE IT INNOCENCE LOST 

YAYO: I love this version of the song even if it's not spectacular. i think everything is there for it to be a masterpiece, but it's mixed poorly and i think it could have been a bit bigger towards the second half of the song. the percussion could have been BIG. the percussion in Blue Velvet in so simple yet complex and i think the same could have been applied to Yayo. RIP this is the final version of the song. i hope there's another mix somewhere that will leak someday. maybe this song needed more guitar? i think some deep bass tones with louder clean electric guitar could have helped. xoxo idk

BEL AIR: SPOOKY SEND OFF WHATS NOT TO LOVE

bonus BURNING DESIRE: THIS SONG IS A LIL LAME BUT ICONIC! I REMEMBER BLASTING IT AND THINKING IT WAS A B O P WHEN IT WAS RELEASED. I REMEMBER LAUGHING ABOUT HOW OFTEN SHE SAID "DRIVE FAST" ON PARADISE AND THIS BONUS TRACK WAS BASICALLY HER SAYING SHE DRIVES FAST. IT KILLED ME. (in an interview she once said she likes the song because its "manly and about driving fast") #dead

PARADISE WAS AN EXPERIENCE. TROPICO AND THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF UV. it feels like yesterday when i would sit and listen and cry to BTD and Paradise and dream of my first boyfriend. much nostalgia. 

• Diamond Whore, PARADIXO and takeitdoen like this

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   https://soundcloud.com/inkaps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users