Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way, but I feel like the underlying message of her latest post (the Brene Brown video) is that if you're not well-known/successful ("brave") then you have no right to criticise something that someone well-known and successful does. That's how it came across to me.

Having the mindset that you're not going to listen to any criticism unless it comes from someone of a particular calibre is really problematic, and imo, can set you up for failure as an artist. If you're going to pick and choose whose criticism you take, then you're really closing yourself off to meaningful feedback, which in turn is a recipe for disaster.

I understand not listening to people who are just being downright nasty and abusive, but she's coming off as over-sensitive to me right now. Which is okay, because she's human ... but I hope she gets to a place where she can think about all of this more rationally.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

GUYS

D63gZq4WwAEFtGX.png

This & the thank you to Lana in her album booklet is kinda sad since Lana has posted about albums before and after Marina's release but said nothing about Love + Fear. Granted, Lana does post personal stuff about Marina periodically, but to not mention her first album in 4 years when they are supposedly so important to each other... pretty shady :/

Edit: so strange how I have liked Marina more as a person over the past few years, yet not liked her music as much, but have had the inverse experience with Lana. 

Regardless of how her instagram post may come off, I appreciate how openly she shows her vulnerable, flawed human side. She doesn't have all of the answers and I think she acknowledges that and is just trying to make sense of it all. Its so.. special? heartbreaking? to watch someone go through what she has and be so open to so many strangers about it. I feel like she is being genuine and heartfelt. I admire her, I really do. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

She pulls this every era, she gets burnt out so fast and then feels like she's floundering all over again. I feel for her because it's incredibly frustrating to be unfulfilled when you've achieved a goal. I'm not really sure there is a solution for her. Perhaps choosing to go on anyway and fight to be happy. It's hard.

Sky Ferreira / FKA Twigs / Lana Del Rey / Charli XCX / Angel Olsen / Bat For Lashes / Selena Gomez / Roisin Murphy / Hannah Diamond / Rihanna

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way, but I feel like the underlying message of her latest post (the Brene Brown video) is that if you're not well-known/successful ("brave") then you have no right to criticise something that someone well-known and successful does. That's how it came across to me.

Having the mindset that you're not going to listen to any criticism unless it comes from someone of a particular calibre is really problematic, and imo, can set you up for failure as an artist. If you're going to pick and choose whose criticism you take, then you're really closing yourself off to meaningful feedback, which in turn is a recipe for disaster.

I understand not listening to people who are just being downright nasty and abusive, but she's coming off as over-sensitive to me right now. Which is okay, because she's human ... but I hope she gets to a place where she can think about all of this more rationally.

People are always so scared of criticism. The thing is that, that's what helps you grow as a person at the end of the day. In careers and personal life, we're all always learning 'cause obviously nobody is perfect. So listening to criticism and using it to your advantage is what makes us better at what we do.

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

omg sis must be really upset https://twitter.com/blakekinman/status/1131147573513871363

waiting for the next 4 year break 

Oh god I hope she's okay... I guess it just says run by Marina HQ because she said she was taking a break from social media, but I wonder why she is no longer following anyone. Maybe she is trying to distance herself from social media, which isn't necessarily a negative thing?

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

Omg poor Marina I cant remember the other eras her being bashed like that. People are being disgusting with that. I didnt like the album that much but i still love it and the new songs are very nice to hear and still cant wait to get my cd. But if u dont like it pls dont go to her twitter or igram saying she can do better

See what y’all hateful assholes did? Smh.

“It’s just our opinion, we’re allowed to dislike it.”

Big difference between casually disliking something & saying ugly shit like “it’s not art” , “she clearly wasn’t trying” , “garbage, her worst album” all over the internet. Say what you want but you’re not a real fan if you’ve trashed ANY of an artist’s work - it is so very possible & simple to criticize something without being rude or hateful. To make a funny joke about a “bad” song is one thing, but to write essays about how disappointed you are in Marina, how horrible the album is and just on & on - what is the point?

Why be so hateful towards an artist you claim to love? Especially when they’re always so open about how sensitive to these things they are. It’s not cool. I’m sure it’ll be another 4-5 years til she is comfortable enough to make music again, if she even wants to anymore.

14417469274.gif

y'all dished out a monster amount of hate for this album for no reason. it's not even bad, y'all are just more vocal about changes than usual and it's getting to her.

xMcVPI7.jpg

y'all dished out a monster amount of hate for this album for no reason. it's not even bad, y'all are just more vocal about changes than usual and it's getting it her.

ungrateful is what they are

anyway, Superstar made it onto my work's playlist, and I'm so happy

negAbhB.png

nnn this album is great and y'all are awful for only giving it one chance and then saying she's lost her personality / flame.

marina is still very much in this music, just not in the same way

people revolted and bitched at her with EH and it took a toll then. now, a large portion of her fanbase think it's her best work.

people revolted at FROOT not sounding like EH but people love that album now.

you think this fanbase would have learned by now that marina is NOT going to make what she made the last few albums.

relisten and consider each track and only give actual criticism to her, not "this doesnt sound liek her past werk!!!"

the majority of this album is amazing and each track has something about it that stands out. 

marina literally almost quit music because of this treatment can yall just be nice??

xMcVPI7.jpg

I'm really sorry Marina feels this way but it's clear her issues/mental health state have little to do with the so-called bad reviews. It's fine being let down (and even frustrated, as she was with TFJ) because you had expected a different reaction for the public, but this is way more than that and it's dishonest to blame it on the "bad reviews" as if mental health was dictated by your average score on Metacritic.

Also, her reviews aren't even that bad. Like, for the large part they are either mixed or good (not excellent, but good). It's clear this album has been overall met decently/well by the public. I struggled to find more than 2 bad reviews in a row on Google. And don't tell me she reads LB lmao

nnn this album is great and y'all are awful for only giving it one chance and then saying she's lost her personality / flame.

marina is still very much in this music, just not in the same way

people revolted and bitched at her with EH and it took a toll then. now, a large portion of her fanbase think it's her best work.

people revolted at FROOT not sounding like EH but people love that album now.

you think this fanbase would have learned by now that marina is NOT going to make what she made the last few albums.

relisten and consider each track and only give actual criticism to her, not "this doesnt sound liek her past werk!!!"

the majority of this album is amazing and each track has something about it that stands out. 

marina literally almost quit music because of this treatment can yall just be nice??

You realize that, despite personal appreciation, which does vary, pretty much every review (and I've scrolled through a lot) states that in some way L+F has lost edge? Like it's not something I made up because I hate her, a lot of people feel this way, enough to fill 2 google pages worth of blog reviews and many other user reviews too (especially on RYM).

Again this is regardless of the mark. A lot of positive reviews acknowledge this while still appreciating the record

If she's honestly quit Twitter because people disliked her album...thicker skin, girl

She talks in her interview about the toxicity of stan twitter & how she wants to distance herself from it & in the very next line she talks about the affinity of gay men with female artists. does she not know that it is mostly gay men who run stan stan twitter & hype her below mediocre stuff?

She was actually expecting everyone to eat her ass & say how inspiring & beautiful her new album is - but people were disappointed & they expressed it. They have got the right to. I mean they promote/hype her stuff & spend money on it. She hides under the veil of spirituality but has become too egoistic to accept the truth. She's barking up the wrong tree.

If she truly enjoyed the prossess of writing the album & it is her 'truth' (or some bullshit) & if she really thinks her work is a masterpiece above criticism - she should stick with it & stop being so whiny.

The users above who are complaining about people expressing their dislike for the album, I'm happy y'all are satisfied & enjoy this kind of music. Good for you. But, to me, it's generic & uninspired af & if I express my dislike for it & I give a logical explanation for it too.

People might be overreacting, but she is being unreasonable too...the longer you wait, the higher the expectations are. If she released this album 1,5-2 years after FROOT it would have been fine, but 4 years of wait for this? Come on now. It should have been better after all that time. She should do what Demi & Rihanna used to do just quickly move onto the next era.