Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

now do we all have mixed feelings about the outtakes to L+F? I feel like, lyrically, The Art of Letting Go is a lot stronger than most of the album tbh

and There's Nothing Wrong With You is better than EYL

Please Don't Call Me is...cute

Is It Worth It is different

negAbhB.png

Okay you know I love you and usually agree with pretty much everything you post, but... have you listened to her new album? Or anything she's released since Vroom Vroom, really? Obviously it's a matter of preference whether one enjoys that type of pop, but I definitely wouldn't call it mainstream or basic; that's a description that's reserved for Clean Bandit and certain acts associated with them.

Well maybe it's not mainstream-basic considering the current charts, that's true.

But it's definitly not pushing any boundaries, it's neither innovative nor experimental and does not go beyond the depth of a Brtiney Spears song. If one likes this kind of music is a pure question of personal taste, but my point was that Charli - while probably not being the most striking artist out there - is giving her audience the kind of music they want while not trying to cheat with the "packaging" and that's why she gets good reviews. Marina on the other hand is taking herself waaaaaaaay too serious while constantly watering down her music with every album

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Because Marina tried to be fake deep while barely scratching the surface and the production was incredibly basic on Love+Fear. People didn't have a problem when she sang those topics on previous albums in a clever way over interesting production. Meanwhile Charli does not pretend to be someone she is not and embraces herself.

Yes, that is exactly true and I know it, but at the same time I feel kinda sorry for Marina. The fact she said that Love+Fear concept was created at the last minute makes me wonder if it was not label or her manager who told her that she needed to make it more 'sophisticated', because otherwise it wouldn't sell so well.

However, what I meant people had problems in previous albums too -- many people didn't like Electra Heart because they expected TFJ 2.0 (especially British critics) and so did people not like FROOT. And I did not mean to attack Charli, it's just there's some weird aura with Marina's discography.

original.gif

Yes, that is exactly true and I know it, but at the same time I feel kinda sorry for Marina. The fact she said that Love+Fear concept was created at the last minute makes me wonder if it was not label or her manager who told her that she needed to make it more 'sophisticated', because otherwise it wouldn't sell so well.

However, what I meant people had problems in previous albums too -- many people didn't like Electra Heart because they expected TFJ 2.0 (especially British critics) and so did people not like FROOT. And I did not mean to attack Charli, it's just there's some weird aura with Marina's discography.

I dunno, I don't think it was the label. She's always had difficulties admitting that she is pop. For TFJ, she made it clear that she was against the pop machine. Despite being pop for EH, she talked about how it was all in jest/ironic. For FROOT, she kept mentioning how rare it was for someone in pop to write all their own stuff, and how anti-EH she was. I strongly feel that the pop psychology perspective she had for L&F was yet another way for her to feel comfortable doing pop.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I dunno, I don't think it was the label. She's always had difficulties admitting that she is pop. For TFJ, she made it clear that she was against the pop machine. Despite being pop for EH, she talked about how it was all in jest/ironic. For FROOT, she kept mentioning how rare it was for someone in pop to write all their own stuff, and how anti-EH she was. I strongly feel that the pop psychology perspective she had for L&F was yet another way for her to feel comfortable doing pop.

You're right, but I guess we'll never know for sure. The previous concept of Aquamarina actually had no any "meaning" apart from... water? And personally I would've found it more interesting.

original.gif

You're right, but I guess we'll never know for sure. The previous concept of Aquamarina actually had no any "meaning" apart from... water? And personally I would've found it more interesting.

I don't think that was ever an album concept.. just a rumour I believe

I don't think that was ever an album concept.. just a rumour I believe

She used Aquamarina on her personal Facebook + later she changed her name to Aquamarina on Instagram + the scrapped Handmade Heaven single/album artwork + both Superstar videos (I myself like to interpret water in Superstar as drowning in love).

original.gif

She used Aquamarina on her personal Facebook + later she changed her name to Aquamarina on Instagram + the scrapped Handmade Heaven single/album artwork + both Superstar videos (I myself like to interpret water in Superstar as drowning in love).

The Handmade Heaven covers & the Superstar visuals are from when the album was called Handmade Heaven, not Aquamarina. I heard that her using Aquamarina on social medias was based off some fanart, not an album concept.

The Handmade Heaven covers & the Superstar visuals are from when the album was called Handmade Heaven, not Aquamarina. I heard that her using Aquamarina on social medias was based off some fanart, not an album concept.

Whatever it was called, the theme was aquatic. These all dots must be connected.

original.gif

Marina's albums get always criticized no matter what :/ When Electra Heart came out people didn't like it because it was 'overproduced' and now (funny) it's a fan-favorite. Then with FROOT fans were saying it sounded too much like a group band etc. while it's her highest ranked album on metacritic. L+F it's not that bad, but not her best work forsure.

She's already working on her 5th album I can't wait :)

"Purge the Poison"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRqlv2i_aXg

"Pink Convertible"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDyGCpNbOk&t