CatchTheBreeze

Lana interview in german weekly newspaper Die Zeit

I just discovered this interview in a German weekly newspaper called Die Zeit (one of the best known here):

http://www.zeit.de/2013/01/Interview-Lana-Del-Rey

"Ich spiele keine Lolita-Rolle" = "I'm not playing a Lolita (role)"

The print version of this interview is accompanied by a different photo of her (sorry for the bad scan):

post-1337-0-55019500-1357211938_thumb.jpg

O, more Lana interviews in German and I would have a reason to learn German again, lol.

Anyway, the interview is very interesting, thank you so much <3 . And what she says about Lolita-Rolle is probably the best part of it IMO.

And the wind I know it’s cold

First Page :

"I don't play a Lolita (Role)"

The Retro Pop Queen Lana Del rey about secondhand clothes, older mens and her love with the american flag.

Die Zeit : In Videos you seems to be the tragedic hero of a Hollywoodmelodram of the early 60'. Your songs with sultry strings are saturated fantasies of an other time. Lives Lana Del Rey in the past ?

Lana Del Rey : I like things of the past, because they are bringing me back. But I take not a lot of Inspiration how you're thinking. The old Hollywoodcinema is an Influence of many, a traditionnally Make Up, what I wear. But I like how these Films are made : So epic, georgeous . I wish that the real life would be same.

Zeit: Isn't it someting for you? Your Debut Album Born to die was sold in Germany alone 400.000 times.

Del Rey: When I'm coming to Paris of Berlin, I actually breath deeply in and think : All is wonderful, the people like me and my music. I thought that it would be interesting nobody. Often it was : These Songs are rare, to invest money in it, to curious, to let it play on the Radio.

Zeit: And now the luxury brand Jaguar advertises with one of your songs.

Del Rey: Yes, Burning Desire is a male Song, it's about driving fast.

Zeit: In the 60' James Bond drove too a Jaguar. Do you would sing a James Bond Titlesong ?

Del Rey : Before it would be fun, and the most of my songs are suitable for that. But now these FIlms are gigantic spectacled. To become a Titlesong, you must be very prominent and not kontrovers.

Zeit : Do you like it to be controverse ?

Del Rey : No, I don't like to dispute. I would be happy when I could be a normal singer. But just in America the Journalits are writing me since the release of Born to Die Hate Mails, so like if they waited, to finish me of.

Zeit : But you recieved also good Critics - for Example in New York Times.

Del Rey : Yes, there had the Author named Jon Caramanica dragged the whole album in the dirt. The Things, he wrote about my Family were rude and unreal !

Zeit : So you you think that there is a conspiracy against the Pop Singer Lana Del Rey ?

Del Rey : You can see it so. A Part of the Journalist has contaced my Press agency and excused : They were bored and searched a more exciting Thema. This Camagne is more a Commentar for Journalism in the USA as to my performance.

It's not about a wrong tone in the TV-Show Saturday Night Live - it was about something other.

Zeit : Maybe it's the liberal Art and way, who they are expaining in the USA ? >>My pussy tastes like Pepsi Cola<<, it's said in Cola, a song on your currently appeared EP Paradise.

Del Rey: Yeah and ? I find the line funny. My friend is scottish, he finds american Girls for somehing Exotic. One Day he said to me : >>Your american Girls are running around, so like your Pussy would taste like Coca-Cola, so like your wrapping you into Flags for sleeping.<< He find's us all patriotic.

Zeit : The American Flag is actually never missing on one of your videos, on Photos you're cuddling you even sometimes in.

Second Page:

Del Rey : Yes, because it looks simply great. But I like also that, what's behind it : the idea of an American Dream.

Zeit: Seeing the Video to Ride, it seems your American Dream the radical Outsider Histories, who telled the american Independent-Cinema of the 70. In a long Monologue at the beginning it's: >>I was in the winter of my life and the men I met along the road were my only summer...<<

Del Rey: This is autobiographic! There was a time where i asked me : What do you do, when all your dreams did not become true ? At this time I searched protection and Safety by mens. But Ride is not the story of a victim. And it should be neither a Comment to the topic Prostitutuon, how american media suspect. It's going about my life : What happen, when someone want to be a big Singer but your homeland is saying : No, you aren't.

Zeit : The Mens in the Video look like members of Hells Angels...

Del Rey : I felt always like a Outlaw and Biker - since my 15. Birthday i'm driving on the back of Bikes. Since then I met clearly older mens. I had discovered the writing very ealy. But it came otherwise. After stopping drinking with 18 Years -I had an Alcoholproblem-, i searched the contact to people, leading to ann established life.

Zeit: 2013 changed a lot in your life ?

Del Rey : Around me things changed. After all are there now people, hearing my music and liking it.

Zeit : You descronet american Freethinkers and Allen Ginsberg as important influences. Are Beat-Poems actual ?

Del Rey : For me yes, i'm having Howl always with me, in my pursuit!

After I read Ginsberg, my world changed for me. The way how he draws pictures (paintures) with his words, impressed me deep. I dreamed of, that the People are saying the same about my Texts : My God, what for a wonderful Painture you've drawed.

Zeit : How do you understand with feminists ? In the video to Ride some People complained your Lolita-Look.

Del Rey : I don't play no Lolita-Role! I just like the Text! Many Popstars playing with the Lolita-Thing, wearing barely clothes. It's not different for me, when I know how to explain... It's not about being a Lolita, it's more an attitude, so if someone choose for Polygamie, for free Love or what ever. It's my decision! For me it's not about the Women's Movemen, and my Songs aren't too a Comment about todays Popmusic.

Zeit: So a Mix of a Diary and personal confession?

Del Rey : I want simply the World out of my Point of view to explain. In fact it's every time the same Shema. Taking the Song Born to Die : IN the autobiographic verse it's about, to don't five up, to be a good man (human). I was once together with a Man, who drifted it. Together we decided to live a drug free Life. But then he run away more of less. And all, what I could do was praying. In the Chorus (Refrain) opened it all in a passionate Phantasie : (singing) >>Come and take a walk on the wild side. Let me kiss you hard in the pouring rain.<< At the End it's an escape into the Romance.

Zeit : When your songs so autobiographic strong are : Is there then a Different between you, Lizzy Grant, and your art figure Lana Del Rey ?

Zeit (It was possibly a mistake) Lana : No, it's just a other Name. It's feeling for me the same.

Zeit : It's expectable a certain Typ, hearing your music...

Del Rey : I believe it gladly...

Zeit: ...a figure of the Film noir possible.

Del Rey: I have old-fashioned values. I like Things, who were made, to be beautiful. And to sing is for me so natural as speaking. And that's why I don't go on the stage transforming into an completely other person. I am always the same.

Zeit: Also when you are modelling for H&M ?

Del Rey: Tja... (yeah)

Zeit: Are you interested in fashion (mode) ?

Del Rey : No. You are seeing what I'm wearing (checked shirt, close Jeans, Mokassins, ?Anm d.Red?.) . Jewelry ist the only thing what I am occasionally buying. Sometimes I find some pretty Second Hand things.

Zeit: Is the Jacket from a Second Hand Store ?

Del Rey : No, it's from K-Mart, that's a Dime (Discounter, Place where clothes are cheap to buy). When we were recently in New York, I was freezing, and because on the other side of the streed a K-Mart was, I went in and buyed this Jacket. Sorry, when I am looking with that not so glamorous.

Zeit : But the Hollywood wardrobe the dramatic hairstyles, the opulent Make-up - who has it all thought out ?

Del Rey: I am every day on the way with the responsible: Anna is making always my Hair, Pamela cars about my Eyes and Lips. And then there is Johnny Blueeyes, how he is called in the wide world of fashion. He is the someone who's getting the right Wardrobe. So like, when I want A dress, so like Marilyn Monroe wear it.

Zeit: In the video for National Anthem you're playing not alone Marilyin Monroe but also Jackie Kennedy - two icones in one sweep (slap).

Del Rey : I like these Womens, because of that I wrote a Video-Treatment, in them the two are in.

Zeit: Because they're two models?

Del Rey: Sure, who except Marilyn is still decades after her death such a big Star? It must give a Reason for that, that she's hitting by Million of Peopl a nerv. I like, that she was so gently!

Zeit: Are you too one from the gently ones?

Del Rey: Yes, I think, that am I. I am not so sad like I sound in my songs. I try, to be integer, doing right Things. I sing, since I was 17 Yeahrs, and the most Time nobody was interested in it. I know honestly why it's now different. I walked always the straight way showed continuity. But in the last time they are seeing me as another Person, who changed all on her. This is promising more exitement.

There might be some mistakes but I hope the translated text (by me) is good unterstandable.

Zeit: In the 60' James Bond drove too a Jaguar. Do you would sing a James Bond Titlesong ?

Del Rey : Before it would be fun, and the most of my songs are suitable for that. But now these FIlms are gigantic spectacled. To become a Titlesong, you must be very prominent and not kontrovers.

I'm pretty sure she was considered for the latest Bond theme song but was put aside because of the controversy around her back then. I still think Million Dollar Man would have been perfect.

Other than that, this interview is pretty generic, the questions have been asked dozen times before.

up45I.gif

I actually really like this interview, she's said things we haven't heard of before. Barrie saying COCA cola for example, her having started dating significantly older men aged 15, telling us a little more about Born to Die, elaborating on her view on the US etc.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

männlich: male, masculine, virile, manly, butch, manlike, manlikely, maculinely, unfeminine, virilely etc.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

So often when i read interviews with her i get this image of someone gawking at her with furrowed brows, probing her with a stick, looking underneath her, turning her over, spinning her around, tapping her, asking aloud, "What is it? What do we do with this?" I find the underlying attitude toward her in a lot of interviewers really tiring. Maybe i'm just misreading them though, i don't know. Does anyone get this impression?

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein