DUKE

Tori Amos

Currently listening to the Battle of Trees instrumental from Sin Palabras, it's so gorgous.  :flutter:

Also, I got a new addition to my Tori Collection today! The Silent All These Years maxi, LTD, UK single with this cover.

Tori-Amos-Silent-All-These-345736.jpg

So what's your favorite album?  :creep:

last.fm  

From the Choirgirl Hotel. You?

Guess which song on the album the photo I chose relates to. :creep:

Really? Boys for Pele is so much better. I mean hello, the harpsichord songs!  :oprah: From the Choirgirl Hotel is on second though.

The cover shoot from Choirgirl is so good. :flutter: The picture that's used on the CD is amazing. I've cropped out her lips (since they look so weird, lmao) and use it as background on just about every page there is, hah.

last.fm  

Really? Boys for Pele is so much better. I mean hello, the harpsichord songs!  :oprah: From the Choirgirl Hotel is on second though.

The cover shoot from Choirgirl is so good. :flutter: The picture that's used on the CD is amazing. I've cropped out her lips (since they look so weird, lmao) and use it as background on just about every page there is, hah.

It took me years to get into Pele... but yeah, yeah...  :flutter:

The mastering of Choirgirl is so amazing...  :defeated:

It took me years to get into Pele... but yeah, yeah...  :flutter:

The mastering of Choirgirl is so amazing...  :defeated:

I only discoverd Tori like 2 months ago.  :flop:

The only song on the album I don't like is Black-Dove (January). Liquid Diamonds is fucking perfect though. :defeated:

Am I the only one who's really annoyed at the vocals on Nautical Twilight? The song could be really good, but they sound so…low quality.

last.fm  

The only song on the album I don't like is Black-Dove (January). Liquid Diamonds is fucking perfect though. :defeated:

Am I the only one who's really annoyed at the vocals on Nautical Twilight? The song could be really good, but they sound so…low quality.

You know what... Night of Hunters...  :eek: Her concept albums since 2001 have been generally complex but this one is so hard to get into. Will take me a couple of more years...

You know what... Night of Hunters...  :eek: Her concept album since 2001 have been generally complex but this one is so hard to get into. Will take me a couple of more years...

NoH has such potential, but the production (atleast that's what I think it is) kinda ruins it. And Tash and Kelsey kinda ruins some song for me. They have really good noises, but I don't really like collabs.

I don't understand how so many people (it seems like, atleast) dislike American Doll Posse. Most of the songs on that album are so catchy. :creep:

last.fm  

NoH has such potential, but the production (atleast that's what I think it is) kinda ruins it. And Tash and Kelsey kinda ruins some song for me. They have really good noises, but I don't really like collabs.

I don't understand how so many people (it seems like, atleast) dislike American Doll Posse. Most of the songs on that album are so catchy. :creep:

I'm also annoyed by any non-Tori voice on Night of Hunters:pft: It's just... it doesn't fit.

Well, American Doll Posse was seen by many as some kind of forced contract fulfillment. Which is sad because this album has lots of potential, too, but I sort of dislike the recycled character idea from Strange Little Girls. It feels kind of... tacky.  :quote:

I'm also annoyed by any non-Tori voice on Night of Hunters:pft: It's just... it doesn't fit.

Well, American Doll Posse was seen by many as some kind of forced contract fulfillment. Which is sad because this album has lots of potential, too, but I sort of dislike the recycled character idea from Strange Little Girls. It feels kind of... tacky.  :quote:

Aw, why was it seen as that?

last.fm  

Aw, why was it seen as that?

Tori never seemed to be very lucky with her record labels. Atlantic Records gave her a hard time, especially with Choirgirl and Venus. Earthquakes went through two stressful years of structuring and restructuring until the label thought it could be marketed. Pele was just as awful. She had to fight a lot for the music to be the way she wanted it to be. The fact that Strange Little Girls is a cover album only shows how she had zero intentions with giving Atlantic any new material.

When she signed with Sony she was given a comparably awful time since Scarlet's Walk and The Beekeeper are far from being commercial. To deliver an easy and uncomplicated album to fulfill her contract she recorded Posse. Then she signed with Universal and has ever since released her albums with their affiliated companies... 

Tori never seemed to be very lucky with her record labels. Atlantic Records gave her a hard time, especially with Choirgirl and Venus. Earthquakes went through two stressful years of structuring and restructuring until the label thought it could be marketed. Pele was just as awful. She had to fight a lot for the music to be the way she wanted it to be. The fact that Strange Little Girls is a cover album only shows how she had zero intentions with giving Atlantic any new material.

When she signed with Sony she was given a comparably awful time since Scarlet's Walk and The Beekeeper are far from being commercial. To deliver an easy and uncomplicated album to fulfill her contract she recorded Posse. Then she signed with Universal and has ever since released her albums with their affiliated companies... 

Oh! Didn't they want to make Earthquakes with guitars instead of pianos?

LOL @ 2:12

I don't understand how it's possibe to play two pianos. At least not at the same time, ahhahah.

last.fm  

Oh! Didn't they want to make Earthquakes with guitars instead of pianos?

Yes, in the course of two years Tori submitted various versions of the album including songs that would later end up as b-sides. Most songs aside from the piano-driven songs were basically produced on behalf of the Atlantic Records wanting songs that could serve as singles. Especially the lyrical content of many songs seemed very risky... and yes, the piano should originally be replaced by guitars. 

I don't understand how it's possibe to play two pianos. At least not at the same time, ahhahah.

It's not too hard, actually. She can't play complex compositions at both hands at the same time. But the concentration she has...  :defeated:

Yes, in the course of two years Tori submitted various versions of the album including songs that would later end up as b-sides. Most songs aside from the piano-driven songs were basically produced on behalf of the Atlantic Records wanting songs that could serve as singles. Especially the lyrical content of many songs seemed very risky... and yes, the piano should originally be replaced by guitars. 

Talking about b-sides, I've been so in love with Here. In My Head, Song for Eric & Ode to the Banana King (Part One) lately. :defeated: They're perfect.

Were people a lot more sensetive to lyrics in the '90s? Hhahahah, the lyrics on Earthquakes aren't really that 'controversial' or whatever.

It's not too hard, actually. She can't play complex compositions at both hands at the same time. But the concentration she has...  :defeated:

It just seems like you have to do so much at the same time. I would probably just go crazy, since I get really frustrated, and throw it at the audience and run away. :creep: 

last.fm  

Were people a lot more sensetive to lyrics in the '90s? Hhahahah, the lyrics on Earthquakes aren't really that 'controversial' or whatever.

Keep in mind that especially in terms of feminism, many things have been unsaid in the early 1990s. Feisty women in popular music have been rather rare at this point.