Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Even if Honeymoon is my favourite album by Lana -and one of my favourite albums from any artist-, I think I kind of understand the way you feel about it. I felt the same way -or a similar one- about it when I first listened it by 2015. But, luckily, I gave it another chance last year and fell crazily in love with it. I learned to see it not as a repetitive project, but as some kind of artistic -and musical, specifically- microclima, a very big, ambicious and quite hermetic atmosphere where all of the songs belong to a certain aesthetic (her languid, overexposed and tragically romantic view of the world -taken in the album to it's maximum expression, what makes it quite oppressive sometimes-), but all of the songs still achieve to not be fillers, but a necessary step on the path that the album came to be for me. Even HBTB and Freak ended up fitting in it, when I couldn't stand any of them at first listens. I have learned to listen to the album as I was attending to some kind of interior movie where some of the songs are inflection points (mostly the ones you've chosen as the ones you think should be on the album, and I'd add The Blackest Day, Religion and Salvatore) and the other ones just help the narrative to develop itself. If it may help you, listening to the instrumental allowed me to have a wider perspective on the album itself and to understand it as a deeper, broader opus than I thought it was on first instances.

I appreciate that interpretation! :) I can see where you’re coming from, too - taking it in as a single sweeping, impressionistic soundtrack. There is a certain self-aware, tongue-in-cheek/popart bent to her output, and this very much exemplifies that.

And it’s been so long since I’ve listened to it in its entirety. Perhaps one rainy day I’ll open a bottle of wine and put on my Honeymoon record (I admit this album really blooms on vinyl, as all her music does) and just let myself feel it ~

I appreciate that interpretation! :) I can see where you’re coming from, too - taking it in as a single sweeping, impressionistic soundtrack. There is a certain self-aware, tongue-in-cheek/popart bent to her output, and thus very much exemplifies that.

And it’s been so long since I’ve listened to it in its entirety. Perhaps one rainy day I’ll open a bottle of wine and put on my Honeymoon record (I admit this album really blooms on vinyl, as all her music does) and just let myself feel it ~

That's it! I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot. I'll highlight on the possibility of listening also the instrumental version, as it makes the production bright even more. The album is so reflective, sensorial and erotic, or those are my feelings on it, at least. And I haven't had the chance to listen to the vinyl, so I'm sure your experience will be even better.

I find it very hard to actually know what to think about her current work or her work as a whole. She's been (and still is) such an important artist to me, and things have changed so much over the past few years, that I struggle to understand what I used to love about songs, albums, themes, why, do I still like them, do I like what she's putting out, how is it related to what she's done before. Like I like her so much and am so used to listening to her that I will always get into her new stuff anyways lol it's just as I'm changing as a person and getting into aesthetic and art theory so I'm having this confusing moment about her. Just skimming over the last few pages it's obvious that she is a very elusive and controversial artist, I mean I've rarely seen stans get into so much debate over so little things, and girl I've meddled with Beyoncé zealots.

Oh and her early days as a folk singer circa 05-06. A genius. Even the early versions of AKA songs : Brite Lites on guitar ? Dark, haunting, a perfect mixture of grungy folk and 50s horror glamour. I don't know where that comes from, how that wealthy boarding school debutante could spur out something so incredible for her age and with THAT potential. Just incredible.

I think that would kind of be a popular opinion, but the whole persona she crafted (beatnik welfare folky and trailer queen lizzy grant morphed into oxytocin Del Rey) has been more of an influencial figure, archetype on me, than Elizabeth Grant lmao.

Cherry is her worst released song, and just one of her worst in general. It's just as laughably bad as tracks like Scarface and I was in a bad way.

this is literally disgusting

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

i don't like venice bitch. i appreciate it and i get why people love it, but something about the key that the song is in gets me really depressed. i'd even consider it her saddest song, which probably sounds crazy. something about the production and the lyrics just feels so lonely and so sad, and not in the fun way that im accustomed to with lana songs lol.

i guess i do like it, but it's not something i can listen to often. 

i feel like she’s being tacky on purpose this era and y’all are missing it. like it’s intentional but y’all keep dragging her as if she thinks it’s good :defeated: i think it’s supposed to satirical and kind of poking fun at herself and us/the gp while also being rebellious and making a point. she is the queen of camp

she even said herself this album was v introspective, and i think it shows. she’s still a sad girl but she’s not hopeless, she’s taking control now

also yeah i love the other woman so much it’s one of my faves

UbsOye5.png

i feel like she’s being tacky on purpose this era and y’all are missing it. like it’s intentional but y’all keep dragging her as if she thinks it’s good :defeated: i think it’s supposed to satirical and kind of poking fun at herself and us/the gp while also being rebellious and making a point. she is the queen of camp

she even said herself this album was v introspective, and i think it shows. she’s still a sad girl but she’s not hopeless, she’s taking control now

also yeah i love the other woman so much it’s one of my faves

Having a certain concept in mind doesn't automatically lead to flawlessly executing it. What she's going for is rather obvious, but the end result is still...unfortunate, in my opinion.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

Having a certain concept in mind doesn't automatically lead to flawlessly executing it. What she's going for is rather obvious, but the end result is still...unfortunate, in my opinion.

in ur opinion, what would you do differently then?? i feel like she’s done a great job at making people upset and/or intrigued because they’re not getting what they want from her (what she’s known for), and i think that was her intention? i can’t think of how i would do anything differently if i were her so i’m just curious as to what changes u would’ve preferred

UbsOye5.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBETNi2WsAIYgRS?format=jpg

i don't wanna be harsh but this cover is ugly af like sometimes i wonder why chuck even when she's her sis she doesn't know how to show the best of lana when she takes her pics she makes her look like a new dumb pop singer unlike Neil Krug who literally knows, and in the best way! and i hate the fact that Steven Klein was supposed to shoot the 2nd cover but it's end up between chuck's hands

:smile3:

in ur opinion, what would you do differently then?? i feel like she’s done a great job at making people upset and/or intrigued because they’re not getting what they want from her (what she’s known for), and i think that was her intention? i can’t think of how i would do anything differently if i were her so i’m just curious as to what changes u would’ve preferred

Oh. Well that was a shitty intention then. She must really not know her audience.

Do you mean what I would do differently regarding the visuals (alone) or the promotion too?

I just rewatched the album trailer for UV and then for NFR and god :/ I hope NFR surprises me... idk what to expect after LFL honestly. don't get me wrong im sososo excited for NFR but im expecting to be underwhelmed...

probably not unpopular but im trying to get over the fact we may never get another UV/HM again... I should've been more appreciative 

I know I've been dragging Lana for months, but one thing I never doubted was the music. I was sure NFR would blow my mind. But after hearing these snippets... I am so disappointed. And people are comparing it to Ultraviolence!! Jesus fucking Christ. This might be better than Sirens...but not much else. Not even Lust For Life. I feel like the tiny bit of excitement I had is gone.

I feel like I'm pretty satisfied with what we know/have heard of NFR. But it really isn't blowing my mind. It's like.... the album I can handle and listen to easily, like "yeah this is nice c:", but not the album I actually want, that will reawaken my soul again like every other album of hers did. Even lust for life got me super excited and obsessed for a couple of months. 

I feel like it's the album she thinks we all want ... I am reserving judgment until I've heard it all, though. 

I like the NFR style of music better than the LFL style, so I know it will at least top LFL for me. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I feel like it's the album she thinks we all want ... I am reserving judgment until I've heard it all, though. 

I like the NFR style of music better than the LFL style, so I know it will at least top LFL for me. 

At least there are no duets this time around. That alone makes this album better. 

I think it's the album she wants. She knows what albums of hers the majority treasures and this sound ISN'T it. This sounds nothing like BTD or UV and those are the favorites most of her fans love (so if she really cared about our opinions she would go towards that sound).

this is the album that she wants

LFL was the album that she thought we want, that's why it's trash compared to the other albums

i just want her to do what she wants, bc when she does, it came out so amazing

:smile3:

I think it's the album she wants. She knows what albums of hers the majority treasures and this sound ISN'T it. This sounds nothing like BTD or UV and those are the favorites most of her fans love (so if she really cared about our opinions she would go towards that sound).

this is the album that she wants

LFL was the album that she thought we want, that's why it's trash compared to the other albums

i just want her to do what she wants, bc when she does, it came out so amazing

I don't know about that, because I definitely think this album is influenced by specific mainstream artists, in some places very noticeably. Of course artists are always influenced by others (and sis has been in the past as well) but as I said, the influence here seems to be mainstream, so it makes me wonder if she tried a bit too hard to cater to the masses.

We'll see, I guess.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Unfortunately I'm having doubts

Will she ever stop disappointing me? Ugh