Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

i wish lana would find the sweet spot between exaggerated desperation and uncreative apathy in her lyrics. i love NFR's sound and her vocal delivery in it but it's not riveting on a lyrical level (if anything just a bit cringeworthy). i think there were points on UV and HM where she hit the goldilocks zone of self-awareness, but still with total authenticity and consistency with the visual landscape she curated over her work (Brooklyn Baby, Sad Girl, Terrence Loves You, Honeymoon, High By The Beach come to mind). LFL was corny more often than not with exception for Love, Heroin, and Get Free. 

though i guess for NFR's extra kitschy vibe and her "look" for the era pairs well with the laid-back, valley girl casualness of the lyrics. however i just feel like the usage of excessive expletives in this record are like whipped cream-- good in small doses but mostly bland or oversaturated and certainly not filling for the appetite. it's a bit tryhard "i dont give a fuck"... but what lana does best IS give a fuck. i hope she realizes shes always been admirable and respectable even in her less dignified lyrical moments.

idk if any of this makes sense but its been a minute

I agree and I've literally been thinking about this all day... I know its not fair to compare albums but I cant deny that UV and HM are her most sophisticated albums and extremely progressive, lyrically speaking. I feel like theres a "bar" "fuck" "car" "America(n) "poetry" or "blue" in every other line of each song off of NFR, I know repeating words/phrases is her thing, but it didn't work for me on this album. she also said this album was deeply introspective (hope/MAC/happiness/?) but UV and HM seem infinitely more introspective to me (how can you get more real than god knows I tried???) I feel as if the songs on NFR have so much potential but the lyrics are just lacking. that being said I do love a few songs off of the album, its still fresh so im sure it'll grow on me

I like you, but that comment was disgusting. Sorry. I'm not giving you a WP because it was not beyond rude.

Don't get this. I'm pointing on the abuse of cosmetical surgery, which is a huge problem within the environments Lana frequents, and a problem with a huge gender dimension. Her, as many other women on the entertainment industries are symbolically forced to manipulate their bodies to be accepted or to survive on their bussinesses, no matter how powerful their artistic vision is. I'm not blaming Lana for it, I'm pointing her as a victim of this shit. Depicting the seriousness of the matter on Lana's case is not for me a thing to get a WP for, but a way to empathize with her. Maybe the language wasn't the most accurate or sensitive, and I hope the thing gets clarified now.

Don't get this. I'm pointing on the abuse of cosmetical surgery, which is a huge problem within the environments Lana frequents, and a problem with a huge gender dimension. Her, as many other women on the entertainment industries are symbolically forced to manipulate their bodies to be accepted or to survive on their bussinesses, no matter how powerful their artistic vision is. I'm not blaming Lana for it, I'm pointing her as a victim of this shit. Depicting the seriousness of the matter on Lana's case is not for me a thing to get a WP for, but a way to empathize with her. Maybe the language wasn't the most accurate or sensitive, and I hope the thing gets clarified now.

So your way of countering and empathizing with the immense pressure some women face in regards to their appearance is to say Lana looks atrocious, that her face is unbalanced, and that she is destroying herself.

:woot: giphy.gif :woot:

bartender is the best track off of nfr right up there with venice bitch ugh. and i dont mind htd's production though it can get loudD

I think quite similar... Title track also being on the top. It pains me that you have to post this on the "Unpopular opinions" thread.

l*ve s*ng says hi

:hdu:

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

So your way of countering and empathizing with the immense pressure some women face in regards to their appearance is to say Lana looks atrocious, that her face is unbalanced, and that she is destroying herself.

As you've read, I already apologised if the terms used were not the most sensitive ones. If it wasn't clear yet: sorry, didn't mean to be offensive or harmful, that was the last of my purposes. But, ye, that's the point. Lana is a stunningly beautiful woman who's making a huge damage to herself by following the aesthetic rules that a mysoginist industry dictates her, that are not other than the negation of her own face, one of the most important elements that a human being has to assure it's identity, therefore a key factor to develop and mantain self worth. I asked here -in the worst possible way, it seems- about if any of you had noticed that because for me it was quite impactful to notice that even with makeup the fillers were so hardcore. They actually make me perceive her face as unbalanced (not that it actually is, but that the surgery has made it). 

love song and bartender are snoozefests compared to the rest.

cinnamon, with whatever she did in between the time of the first snippets and now, got butchered. 

hiab is the best song that wasn't released prior to the 30th, besides that, all the best songs are the ones we already had.

As you've read, I already apologised if the terms used were not the most sensitive ones. If it wasn't clear yet: sorry, didn't mean to be offensive or harmful, that was the last of my purposes. But, ye, that's the point. Lana is a stunningly beautiful woman who's making a huge damage to herself by following the aesthetic rules that a mysoginist industry dictates her, that are not other than the negation of her own face, one of the most important elements that a human being has to assure it's identity, therefore a key factor to develop and mantain self worth. I asked here -in the worst possible way, it seems- about if any of you had noticed that because for me it was quite impactful to notice that even with makeup the fillers were so hardcore. They actually make me perceive her face as unbalanced (not that it actually is, but that the surgery has made it).

If she likes it (which she clearly does at the present time since she keeps topping up and even went to that cosmetic dr's birthday party last month lmao) then who cares. Why is a woman getting cosmetic altercations always perceived as them "serving the male gaze" lmao. That line of thought seems sexist if anything. Not everything women do to themselves is to please men. Maybe she just likes how it looks. So boring, come up with something else.

:woot: giphy.gif :woot:

There's going to be fightin', but I'm going to say it:

Jack Antonoff simply isn't the genius that most of the people here think he is. I'm not saying he's untalented, and he's obvious good at playing a range of instruments, but imo, he tries to be ... pun intended ... Jack of all trades and as a result, I think the production of NFR suffered.

There are some very obvious flaws. For example, the vocals in HTD increase in volume noticeably at 1:25 when the jingle bells come in, and that mic change in Cinnamon near the start.

There's just a lot of "rookie error" type o' shit, yet these people get paid shitloads and they had plenty of time to fix all of this up.

They definitely remastered VB and MAC between their release and the album release. It just seems sketchy as fuck to be remastering two tracks that are less than a year old. The fact that they found stuff they could improve in that amount of time tells me that they didn't do it properly the first time. You remaster 10 years later when the technology has improved; not 12 fucking months later. It screams "mess".

I always got the impression that Lanz was very pedantic when it came to mixing and mastering, so I'm surprised she let this shit fly.

Jack, I do not love this chord production

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

If she likes it (which she clearly does at the present time since she keeps topping up and even went to that cosmetic dr's birthday party last month lmao) then who cares. Why is a woman getting cosmetic altercations always perceived as them "serving the male gaze" lmao. That line of thought seems sexist if anything. Not everything women do to themselves is to please men. Maybe she just likes how it looks. So boring, come up with something else.

I don't even think that's a matter of perceiving her surgeries as done to "serve the male gaze" -sexually, I suppose we're referring- . It has to do more, I think, with the imposition of a certain model of woman that has to avoid the processes that all human beings go through. The negation of their nature, as I said, as a condition to be accepted on certain social positions, more when they involve power of diverse types (cultural one, p.e). 

There's going to be fightin', but I'm going to say it:

Jack Antonoff simply isn't the genius that most of the people here think he is. I'm not saying he's untalented, and he's obvious good at playing a range of instruments, but imo, he tries to be ... pun intended ... Jack of all trades and as a result, I think the production of NFR suffered.

There are some very obvious flaws. For example, the vocals in HTD increase in volume noticeably at 1:25 when the jingle bells come in, and that mic change in Cinnamon near the start.

There's just a lot of "rookie error" type o' shit, yet these people get paid shitloads and they had plenty of time to fix all of this up.

They definitely remastered VB and MAC between their release and the album release. It just seems sketchy as fuck to be remastering two tracks that are less than a year old. The fact that they felt they found stuff they could improve in that amount of time tells me that they didn't do it properly the first time. You remaster 10 years later when the technology has improved; not 12 fucking months later. It screams "mess".

I always got the impression that Lanz was very pedantic when it came to mixing and mastering, so I'm surprised she let this shit fly.

Jack, I do not love this chord production

alllllll of this. and also, can we talk about how cheap and tacky his keyboard sounds? none of his piano parts sound even remotely like an actual piano, they’re all this gross muffled digital sounding shit. listen to the greatest (especially the outro) or hope for some prime examples, or even mac (as much as i love that song...). and then, when you’re done, cleanse your ears with the clean, clear, classy piano in bartender, incidentally *not* produced by jack.

it's just the way i feel

I thought I might as well be really unpopular:

I do not like that she's mentioned this new album the same day as she dropped NFR. It makes me very uneasy and I really wish it was all a lie.

1. She's definitely working with Jack again, so we can expect more of all of the stuff I just bitched about.

2. She seems almost manic, and of course it's her prerogative, but doing two albums back-to-back + touring + 341232 soundtracks seems like a really great way to burn out.

3. The title, "White Hot Forever" is quite alarming ... I don't even know what to think. I am scared of the unknown.

4. I am downright TERRIFIED of what she's writing about, given her current influences, which include Beverly Hills social climbers and Churchome.

i’m glad to see other people not happy with jack’s production omg. i remember the first time i listened to mac i didn’t like it at all because it sounded so .. fake?? like electronic and void. like everything was done with downloaded midi keyboards and not actual instruments being played by human hands and recorded. i’m not a fan of any of the other people he produces for either or his own music so maybe it’s just a personal taste thing but :biblio: the production on nfr (album as a whole) just seems very flat, dull, empty, emotionless, etc. there’s like no depth to his production at all. maybe it’s just a personal preference thing again and it’s just not a sound i can personally connect to but others very well may enjoy it but like idk.. overall jack just seems really Lacking as a producer in my opinion. i think the thing that bothers me the most is how simple it is and i’m kind of confused at lana because production wise the last two albums have felt very regressive, especially following honeymoon which was incredible so i just don’t know if her taste has changed or like what happened to make her go from ultraviolence and honeymoon instrumentals to lust for life (the absolute most basic) and nfr (a step but from lfl but still not that great). like what happened lol

sorry this is probably really repetitive i’m tired and don’t wanna look back over it

UbsOye5.png

It screams "mess".

I LMAO'd at this :lmao:

alllllll of this. and also, can we talk about how cheap and tacky his keyboard sounds? none of his piano parts sound even remotely like an actual piano, they’re all this gross muffled digital sounding shit. listen to the greatest (especially the outro) or hope for some prime examples, or even mac (as much as i love that song...). and then, when you’re done, cleanse your ears with the clean, clear, classy piano in bartender, incidentally *not* produced by jack.

I actually like most of the piano on Norman -- the title track, Mariners, The Greatest and espcially Love Song and Hope which were apparently recorded in the same day. The piano in Cinnamon Girl, though, sounds terrible and unprofessional. I mean, I myself could do it with my cheap MIDI and FL Studio :rip: However though Bartender is the song where I enjoy the piano the less. I just can't stand it...

i’m glad to see other people not happy with jack’s production omg. i remember the first time i listened to mac i didn’t like it at all because it sounded so .. fake?? like electronic and void. like everything was done with downloaded midi keyboards and not actual instruments being played by human hands and recorded. i’m not a fan of any of the other people he produces for either or his own music so maybe it’s just a personal taste thing but :biblio: the production on nfr (album as a whole) just seems very flat, dull, empty, emotionless, etc. there’s like no depth to his production at all. maybe it’s just a personal preference thing again and it’s just not a sound i can personally connect to but others very well may enjoy it but like idk.. overall jack just seems really Lacking as a producer in my opinion. i think the thing that bothers me the most is how simple it is and i’m kind of confused at lana because production wise the last two albums have felt very regressive, especially following honeymoon which was incredible so i just don’t know if her taste has changed or like what happened to make her go from ultraviolence and honeymoon instrumentals to lust for life (the absolute most basic) and nfr (a step but from lfl but still not that great). like what happened lol

sorry this is probably really repetitive i’m tired and don’t wanna look back over it

I am sure it is not about taste. It's simply your state of mind as an artist. Five years ago I was making heavy bluesy rock music and it sounded straight out of the 70s, then I moved to a colorful neo-psychedelia sound which sounded cheesy and funny, then to some serious ambient music and now I'm leaning to other things... Lana is like that too. Ultra was all about letting all her rage; Honeymoon was cautiously complex and delicate... For Lust for Life she went for a pop, more basic route and it showed off... I don't think we should complain. We got exactly what she had in mind. Same with Norman, she wanted this air-y sound.

I LMAO'd at this :lmao:

I actually like most of the piano on Norman -- the title track, Mariners, The Greatest and espcially Love Song and Hope which were apparently recorded in the same day. The piano in Cinnamon Girl, though, sounds terrible and unprofessional. I mean, I myself could do it with my cheap MIDI and FL Studio :rip: However though Bartender is the song where I enjoy the piano the less. I just can't stand it...

I am sure it is not about taste. It's simply your state of mind as an artist. Five years ago I was making heavy bluesy rock music and it sounded straight out of the 70s, then I moved to a colorful neo-psychedelia sound which sounded cheesy and funny, then to some serious ambient music and now I'm leaning to other things... Lana is like that too. Ultra was all about letting all her rage; Honeymoon was cautiously complex and delicate... For Lust for Life she went for a pop, more basic route and it showed off... I don't think we should complain. We got exactly what she had in mind. Same with Norman, she wanted this air-y sound.

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the style of production. I'm talking about technical faults. They are two entirely different things. Technical faults should not exist when we are talking about the work of a multi-million-dollar artist and producer.

For example, I like LFL the least of all of her albums, but technically, the production was very good (or, at least, much better than NFR's). It was the style I didn't like.