Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the style of production. I'm talking about technical faults. They are two entirely different things. Technical faults should not exist when we are talking about the work of a multi-million-dollar artist and producer.

For example, I like LFL the least of all of her albums, but technically, the production was very good (or, at least, much better than NFR's). It was the style I didn't like.

that is EXACTLY what I was discussing with @TheBoss. NFR has many technical faults. The one I'm very conflicted about is the outro of Cinnamon Girl. The trap beat is literally a demo.

I am sure it is not about taste. It's simply your state of mind as an artist. Five years ago I was making heavy bluesy rock music and it sounded straight out of the 70s, then I moved to a colorful neo-psychedelia sound which sounded cheesy and funny, then to some serious ambient music and now I'm leaning to other things... Lana is like that too. Ultra was all about letting all her rage; Honeymoon was cautiously complex and delicate... For Lust for Life she went for a pop, more basic route and it showed off... I don't think we should complain. We got exactly what she had in mind. Same with Norman, she wanted this air-y sound.

i don’t wish for her to change anything, i definitely appreciate the albums for what they are and i understand it’s what she wants and all that, it’s just my personal preference to have a fuller production, or at least one that doesn’t sound cheap(?) idk i literally feel so bad for saying any of this because i love her so much lmao i don’t want people to get the wrong idea. i just don’t.. Get jacks production i guess, it doesn’t connect with me. i don’t think nfr is a bad album by any means, i’m just not a fan of the way it was executed. idk. i don’t wanna fight with people or come off like i don’t appreciate her artistry but i’m having trouble wording this :toofunny: i vibe with lana, but not with jack?? i still adore nfr and the sentiments she explores are touching and i’m incredible grateful for the album, i just don’t like the production atm. it’ll probably grow on me the more i listen too, like mac is one of my fave songs and it means so much to me personally but i really didn’t like the production upon first listen

UbsOye5.png

I thought I might as well be really unpopular:

I do not like that she's mentioned this new album the same day as she dropped NFR. It makes me very uneasy and I really wish it was all a lie.

1. She's definitely working with Jack again, so we can expect more of all of the stuff I just bitched about.

2. She seems almost manic, and of course it's her prerogative, but doing two albums back-to-back + touring + 341232 soundtracks seems like a really great way to burn out.

3. The title, "White Hot Forever" is quite alarming ... I don't even know what to think. I am scared of the unknown.

4. I am downright TERRIFIED of what she's writing about, given her current influences, which include Beverly Hills social climbers and Churchome.

Wow I've been dreaming so hard that White Hot Forever will be a Honeymoon part 2, but I need to stop cause you've probably just spilled the truth  :ohno:

Without the ttttttender thing it would be good.

TNBAR is the weakest song on NFR!

Well, I think that part is actually quite clever. I ranted about this somewhere else, but I forget where.

I think the stutter represents relapsing into alcoholism. Most alcoholics don't just get sober and stay sober ... it's a shaky road to sobriety, and they "stutter". And I think the "ha ha ha ha" is similar in that it represents a kind of ... amused resignation that she'll never, truly be 100% "cured".

I stan Bar-t-t-tender.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I get what you're saying but I doubt she's going to write a song about going to church... at least not without a little irony. I think the most white girl LA type lyric we will get is about Starbucks or something (I almost regret putting this out into the universe)

:eek:

I never thought she'd write about iPads or Tesla or Kanye and, well, here we are.

But I don't necessarily mean she'll write about it directly ... it's more ... the influence.

I always got the impression that Lanz was very pedantic when it came to mixing and mastering, so I'm surprised she let this shit fly.

Jack, I do not love this chord production

1. She's definitely working with Jack again, so we can expect more of all of the stuff I just bitched about.

2. She seems almost manic, and of course it's her prerogative, but doing two albums back-to-back + touring + 341232 soundtracks seems like a really great way to burn out.

I saw you quoted and scrolled for ages trying to find your post wtf i hate when ppl change their profile pics

I think these are massively connected tbh. Rick seem(ed) like he kept her very grounded by challenging her creatively, and yeah it can get boring listening over and over to the same section of music over and over again but any artist / writer / musician will tell you that that's how you get a great piece of art as opposed to an alright one. To use an example, when I saw Van Morrison live it was kind of a trip because he had jazzy / rocky music that you would associate with meandering and spontaneous solos, but watch a live performance and you realise he has that shit tightly packed- there isn't a beat out of place. Precision in art always wins over sloppiness in the long run. Even steven king, who I would consider something of a sloppy writer, reads his books through a couple of times and the sloppiness in it is more of a stylistic thing than anything. I think she's spent so long working with producers that run tight ships that she's getting a bit manic working with one who's fine with finishing a song in the space of a day- people that write as much and as quickly as she does needs someone to put the brakes on and decide whether a line works, whether it fits, whether it's good or not. Looking at what production gems people rave about in the post-release threads of HM and NFR makes me almost sad- with HM it's the hospital-like microbeats in the blackest day and with NFR it's a kind of quiet electric guitar in HIAB lmao.

also what sparklejumpropenoose said about jackoff's music sounding like other people's quite a lot is very true. I love the title track a lot but the initial strings sound so much like a certain song that I KNOW jackoff's heard that it's incredible he hasn't been sued if this is his signature move lol. I hope she doesn't burn out but she's going to, and going to hard.

locals only

I saw you quoted and scrolled for ages trying to find your post wtf i hate when ppl change their profile pics

I think these are massively connected tbh. Rick seem(ed) like he kept her very grounded by challenging her creatively, and yeah it can get boring listening over and over to the same section of music over and over again but any artist / writer / musician will tell you that that's how you get a great piece of art as opposed to an alright one. To use an example, when I saw Van Morrison live it was kind of a trip because he had jazzy / rocky music that you would associate with meandering and spontaneous solos, but watch a live performance and you realise he has that shit tightly packed- there isn't a beat out of place. Precision in art always wins over sloppiness in the long run. Even steven king, who I would consider something of a sloppy writer, reads his books through a couple of times and the sloppiness in it is more of a stylistic thing than anything. I think she's spent so long working with producers that run tight ships that she's getting a bit manic working with one who's fine with finishing a song in the space of a day- people that write as much and as quickly as she does needs someone to put the brakes on and decide whether a line works, whether it fits, whether it's good or not. Looking at what production gems people rave about in the post-release threads of HM and NFR makes me almost sad- with HM it's the hospital-like microbeats in the blackest day and with NFR it's a kind of quiet electric guitar in HIAB lmao.

also what sparklejumpropenoose said about jackoff's music sounding like other people's quite a lot is very true. I love the title track a lot but the initial strings sound so much like a certain song that I KNOW jackoff's heard that it's incredible he hasn't been sued if this is his signature move lol. I hope she doesn't burn out but she's going to, and going to hard.

Great post. 

In one of her interviews she was asked about working with Jack. I can't quite remember exactly how she worded it, but she said something about how cheery and positive he is, and that it was nice to not hear "that sucks". Then she said, "I have heard that a lot from other producers". 

That made me wonder if Jack is a "yes" person. It would certainly explain the lack of structure in these songs as well as the technical errors. 

Great post. 

In one of her interviews she was asked about working with Jack. I can't quite remember exactly how she worded it, but she said something about how cheery and positive he is, and that it was nice to not hear "that sucks". Then she said, "I have heard that a lot from other producers". 

That made me wonder if Jack is a "yes" person. It would certainly explain the lack of structure in these songs as well as the technical errors. 

yeah the way she describes their supposedly professional relationship as 'like a love story' is um... a choice.  I know she's inspired a lot by beat poets and the whole thing of being a vessel for the writing to come out of but that's exactly why she needs a producer that's going to say no, that line's bad or needs work. The song with the best writing is Hope by a mile and the song(s) that are the most experimental in terms of a departure from her usual style are bartender and venice bitch. 2/3 involved jack very little (hope) or not at all (bartender). 17 year olds with access to audacity came up with the exact same structure and music for cinnamon with two snippets that jack did with like. A studio and the artist herself. He's not nearly as talented as people are making out.

locals only

Cinnamon girl is fine. It's nothing incredible though and it doesn't stand out in her lineup of songs as much as people are saying. I'd compare it to cherry for being the anthems that people wanted but will ultimately forget soon, but I really like the 'bitch, fuck' and the 'can i get a fuckin hallelujah's in cherry so i won't

locals only