Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Why?!

I knew I was going to get some people mad, hahaha

It's just how I feel about it. As I said, she sounds transparent and genuine, but the composition and production of the song are just a poor sketch, from my point of view, and it had the potential to be a powerful -even delicate and soft, thinking of some other song as Videogames, p.e-, well structured one, yet them let it on the draft stage. 

I knew I was going to get some people mad, hahaha

It's just how I feel about it. As I said, she sounds transparent and genuine, but the composition and production of the song are just a poor sketch, from my point of view, and it had the potential to be a powerful -even delicate and soft, thinking of some other song as Videogames, p.e-, well structured one, yet them let it on the draft stage. 

I didn't get mad :rip:

I see where your point of view is coming from. I myself absolutely adore Love song for what it is. It didn't mean to  be Video Games. Not everything has to be dramatic.

I didn't get mad :rip:

I see where your point of view is coming from. I myself absolutely adore Love song for what it is. It didn't mean to  be Video Games. Not everything has to be dramatic.

Ye, I get also the reasons why many people are in love with the song. The confessional, almost nude perspective that it develops... I get the idea and like it also, yet the execution kills it for me. When I say Videogames as an example, just thinking about a song that's similar aesthetically, yet I think has a lot more of work to it. Maybe even Happiness is a Butterfly -which uses some very similar chords, if not the same ones (I'm not a musician, so just going by ear here)- is, for me, an example of a song which builds lyrically, vocally and instrumentally around the narrative of fragility, yet is done in more elaborated terms.

Ye, I get also the reasons why many people are in love with the song. The confessional, almost nude perspective that it develops... I get the idea and like it also, yet the execution kills it for me. When I say Videogames as an example, just thinking about a song that's similar aesthetically, yet I think has a lot more of work to it. Maybe even Happiness is a Butterfly -which uses some very similar chords, if not the same ones (I'm not a musician, so just going by ear here)- is, for me, an example of a song which builds lyrically, vocally and instrumentally around the narrative of fragility, yet is done in more elaborated terms.

Love song -- D F#m E  / A C#m F#m D / E D F#m / A E/G# G D Bm/D A

Happiness is a butterfly -- D F#7 Bm G / F#m G Bm A / A G D G

Love song is actually the most 'complex' song composition-wise, since it uses more and 'less-pop' chords and actually plays with the notes unlike Happiness, and also it includes multiple chords inside one bar; Happiness being slightly greater in structure.

It's okay though, I mean, with NFR! I, for the first time ever, experienced how tastes actually work. I am very objective-oriented, but with this album I could see how differently people can perceive things... no surprise this is her most controversial album to date. What I find incredibly gorgeous (and I highly believe it is), for others it's trash.

Edit: I would also like to add that Love song, with its simplicity, sounds extremely rich, because actually the composition is very good

Love song is actually the most 'complex' song composition-wise, since it uses more and 'less-pop' chords and actually plays with the notes unlike Happiness, and also it includes multiple chords inside one bar; Happiness being slightly greater in structure.

It's okay though, I mean, with NFR! I, for the first time ever, experienced how tastes actually work. I am very objective-oriented, but with this album I could see how differently people can perceive things... no surprise this is her most controversial album to date. What I find incredibly gorgeous (and I highly believe it is), for others it's trash.

Edit: I would also like to add that Love song, with its simplicity, sounds extremely rich, because actually the composition is very good

Surely it's a hugely controversial album. For me, it has some very nice acoustic discoveries and lovely textures, and some of her best work to date, yet the album stays sketchy, as a whole. With the listens, I've come to the conclusion that it showcases a stage on Lana's mind, somehow a rupture with many things, and I think that the album will be kind of an inflection point regarding her artistic output. By the way, thanks for giving me the technical insight on the chord thing, I never got along with musical theory and it's nice to be helped on that matter!

That's a lot of words for "this song has barely no instrumentation and sounds like a whisper". I really don't see the complexity in this one, but then again, to me, NFR is her most simplistic/tedious and least avant-garde album to date. To each their own, but I agree with @sjatib, 'Love Song' ain't that song. To me on an album that featured not one, but four piano ballads, it was one too many, it should've gotten the chop to profit the superior 'Bartender'. I guess that counts as an unpopular opinion.

That's a lot of words for "this songs has barely no instrumentation and sounds like a whisper". I really don't see the complexity in this one, but then again, to me, NFR is her most simplistic/tedious and least avant-garde album to date. To each their own, but I agree with @sjatib, 'Love Song' ain't that song. To me on an album that featured not one, but four piano ballads, it was one too many, it should've gotten the chop to profit the superior 'Bartender'. I guess that counts as an unpopular opinion.

I wasn't saying the song is complex as in the real definition of the world; it's actually just a piano love song (lol)... but I just "defending" the composition in the track. It's isn't just F - Am - G - Em many times or whatever.

I hope Lana doesn't make a 25 unreleased album even though I love her unreleased, just because that will take time away from us getting new material 

we already have those unreleased in their true forms, id rather her spend her time to make new songs rather than rerecord old ones

I hope Lana doesn't make a 25 unreleased album even though I love her unreleased, just because that will take time away from us getting new material 

we already have those unreleased in their true forms, id rather her spend her time to make new songs rather than rerecord old ones

Black Beauty was honestly the only song I cared about that was unreleased and still ended up on an album. I honestly skip TNBAR, I feel like it's just réchauffé for Lana to put a song we already heard on a new record.

i agree, she should just make a 25 song playlist of unreleased songs on her official spotify so that they're easier to access. She doesn't need to rerecord anything

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

My issue with the 25 unreleased album is what she's going to choose and the fact you really can't satisfy everyone. She has about 200 unreleased songs, I feel like only having 25 officially released is a little odd. I think they should just stay unreleased. 

WGe8ynS.gif

i don't want lana to put out an unreleased album, i just want her to quietly and anonymously upload every one of her unreleased songs to the internet in 256 kbps

it's just the way i feel

We know a few unreleased songs that Lana likes: Serial Killer, Paradise, Us Against The World, Hollywood, Trash Magic, On Our Way, Disco

I am actually a little curious to see what other songs she would choose, I would never expect a Go Go Dancer or Boarding School, and I feel like she has quite a few unreleased songs she probably doesn't really care for. Maybe this is why we don't have an unreleased album yet  :toofunny: .

WGe8ynS.gif

My issue with the 25 unreleased album is what she's going to choose and the fact you really can't satisfy everyone. She has about 200 unreleased songs, I feel like only having 25 officially released is a little odd. I think they should just stay unreleased. 

1. Hollywood
2. JFK
3. Live or Die
4. Put the Radio On
5. You Can Be the Boss
6. Come When You Call Me America
7. Boarding School
8. Hit and Run
9. Serial Killer
10. Us Against the World
11. Hangin' Around - Interlude
12. Afraid
13. Butterflies
14. Damn You
15. I Don't Wanna Go
16. Last Girl On Earth
17. Driving In Cars With Boys
18. Your Girl
19. Wayamaya
20. Because of You
21. Disco
22. Get Drunk
23. Never Let Me Go
24. On Our Way
25. Life Is Beautiful

:defeated:

We know a few unreleased songs that Lana likes: Serial Killer, Paradise, Us Against The World, Hollywood, Trash Magic, On Our Way, Disco

I am actually a little curious to see what other songs she would choose, I would never expect a Go Go Dancer or Boarding School, and I feel like she has quite a few unreleased songs she probably doesn't really care for. Maybe this is why we don't have an unreleased album yet  :toofunny: .

I’d imagine Yosemite, considering it was supposedly her favorite from LFL

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

I don't know if that counts as an unpopular opinion, but I went to think about it yesterday, and I honestly don't even have a favourite song on NFR... like there are a few songs that I overall find tolerable (NFR, Venice Bitch, California and The greatest), but like I don't even feel like listening to either one of them on repeat.

For some reason this actually made me pretty sad. On LFL, while I didn't like the album as a whole, I could still listen to songs like Heroin, Cherry and especially Get Free all the time even though the album was a mess to me. While NFR is obviously superior to LFL in many regards, it's just almost completely forgettable to me. Never thought I'd think this way about a Lana album, but here we are.  :creep:

1. Hollywood
2. JFK
3. Live or Die
4. Put the Radio On
5. You Can Be the Boss
6. Come When You Call Me America
7. Boarding School
8. Hit and Run
9. Serial Killer
10. Us Against the World
11. Hangin' Around - Interlude
12. Afraid
13. Butterflies
14. Damn You
15. I Don't Wanna Go
16. Last Girl On Earth
17. Driving In Cars With Boys
18. Your Girl
19. Wayamaya
20. Because of You
21. Disco
22. Get Drunk
23. Never Let Me Go
24. On Our Way
25. Life Is Beautiful

:defeated:

Are you okay? You left out Fine China ?? 

3lfQEhw.png