National Anthem

Favourite Lana Songs

WHERE IS YOUR ANGELIC SIGNATURE FROM :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

lmfao. go to the ldr misc thread. it's like in the last two pages. just some pictures from Lana's stay at the Chateau Marmot that evil found. 

VyIsfwC.jpg

Radio

I remember so clearly what it felt like to hear "oh sing it to me" for the first time and being submerged into that lush, beautiful string section. It left me a little breathless and that's something so rare and haunting you know? To truly be moved by a piece of music.

Wait, weren't you on acid or some other hallucinogen? 

:squidward: I don't know what this emote means but i'm going to use it here. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Wait, weren't you on acid or some other hallucinogen? 

:squidward: I don't know what this emote means but i'm going to use it here. 

well yeah but that wasn't the first time i heard it. also shrooms i don't touch acid~

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

omg i love this!!!! mine are:

- Lucky Ones / Off to the races from BTD: hearing lucky ones is like falling in love for the first time, seriously! I get so emotional with that song and I don't even know how to explain the feelings it gives me. The drums in the chorus are sooo wow and when she sings "everynow and then the stars align" I just cry. Off to the races is art, I mean that song is just my dream.

- Afraid / Boarding School from Unreleased: Aww afraid it makes me wanna leave, leave and get out of this shit! I just love the simplicity of that song and the way she sings it's flawless!! "But it's not love that keeps me here" . Boarding School... omg I just wanna get high! That song is drug, love the lyrics, love her voice, love everything about it.

- Mermaid Motel from AKA: this was one of the first song i've heard by Lana after Video games and Born to die and I was like "OMFG    this is all i've been waiting for!!!!" I just love the vibe of this song, the instrumental is truly a masterpiece to me and I can't wait to hear the remastered version if that will happen!

- Bel Air from Paradise: since I hear the snippet I knew it was going to be my fave from paradise. Bel Air is the song that I wanna hear when I'll die, and I can't wait to hear it live on tour. 

also: Radio (demo), Making Out, Summer Of Sam and Velvet Crowbar.

let the light in, it's a cruel world

I can't believe I forgot to mention Video Games. It was the first Lana song I ever heard, and when I first heard it, I wasn't entirely sure what the appeal was. But listening to it on a more frequent basis, it has become one of my favourites. One thing I love about Lana is her idea of honouring lost love. I'm a huge believer in still caring for and respecting someone you loved who you aren't with anymore, and I feel like this song is the epitome of that. She turns the simplest of things (getting undressed, playing video games, etc) into this simple love melody. As well as all the big things in life, I like to remember details, no matter how mundane they are, and I think people forget how much happiness can be had from just simply sitting around all day playing video games with the person you love most in the world. To me, the simplicity sold it to me. It's quite a stripped song, compared to most others on BTD, but I love that. You can hear the haunting sadness at the same time as understanding her love for this person. I just feel a really strong connection with it, and of course, it was the gateway into my Lana Del Rey obsession.

tumblr_mjifpjZBSu1rr0bkio2_500.png

Thanks HDB for this thread, this topic is the main reason why I joined this forum in the first place. I could write about this forever, but I'll start with these two and return with more when school isn't such a pain in the ***.

Kill Kill

Of all Lana's songs, this is probably one of those that I embraced quickest. I
knew at the very first listen that this one was going to be a favorite, which
doesn't happen very often to me. The wispering parts are pure magic and the
chorus, oh the bloody perfect chorus... Perhaps my favorite chorus by her so
far. When I hear it, it feels like I'm floating in the ocean or
drifting through the air or whatever resembling sensation. I don't know how
to be more specific about it, but the rhythm is just so smooth, like
every little piece of instrumentation is perfectly synchronized. It's such a
hypnotizing song, a perfect escape when "ordinary life" gets too ordinary.

Yayo (particularly the a.k.a version)

I completely agree with Hundred Dollar Bill that this is the quintessential
Lana song. That should be stated as a fact, not an opinion. This song
is Lana, and Lana is this song. Yayo captures the feeling of
longing for something greater in life better than any other song I've heard.
This resonates very well with me on a personal level, as the most difficult
times in my life have been (and still are) when I've had extremely intense
longings and dreams, but not been able to "go for it" and chase them due to lack
of confidence. But when I listen to Yayo, these dreams and longings suddenly
seem so much closer and hence more worth fighting for. That's
what makes this song so special to me.

On a less emotional and more objective level, it's still a piece of
magnificent music where Lana's vocals are nothing short of pure heaven.

To summarize: If I was forced to pick only one song to listen to for the rest
of my life, Yayo would be the one, and it would be more than enough.

I probably forgot one song or another... #yolo :teehee:

Sirens:

Although I have to admit I haven't listened to Sirens that much I gotta say all of them really. I can just start from the beginning, browse the web and before I know it I have no idea which track is playing in the background because all of them sound so familiar to each other to me. Except for Birds of a Feather, what went wrong there :awk:  

AKA:

Oh Say Can You See

Such a good song to listen to when you're feeling down on an evening. *melodramatic* :hooker:

Pawn Shop Blues

This song pretty much sums up my life as it is right at the moment. It's become pretty relatable for me.

Yayo

I pretty much agree with everyone else on this one. Not much to say about it. Lana Del Rey Lizzy Grant = Yayo.

Born To Die:

Million Dollar Man

I remember the first time I sat down and listened to the whole album. This very song quickly became one of my favorites instantly. If any of you guys have seen Charmed and can remember that time Paige sang in that club to Nate that one time, then you get what I see when I hear this song. It's just sensual, elegant and soothing all at the same time. I just get this femme fatale moment  :defeated:

*FOUND THE VIDEO*

Summertime Sadness

SS was, is and always will be one of my favorite LDR song. It's so emotional yet pop at the same time. I wish I didn't misuse the word 'perfect' that much because this song truly is the definition of it to me.

Paradise:

Ride

I know... You probably expected it. But I can't say much more than the fact that I've recently dedicated this to someone I'll always love...

Unreleased:

Driving In Cars With Boys

So I've been having a thought lately just for fun sake: "What if Lana would take song requests when she's up on stage?" The first song popping in my head is this song. I don't really know why. Maybe it's because I want other fans that aren't that aware of her previous work to be enlightened with how great her songs are apart from BTD/Paradise *hipster* :derpna:

Anyway I feel like I can play this song no matter the occasion :legend:  

EQFO7rX.png

I could do about 100 but I'll keep it quick for the sake of my fingers.

SIRENS

Aviation - This song never stood out to me until I genuinely listened to the lyrics. It's rare in Lana's discography to find a song completely unrelated to relationships, so that makes this song special. And the connection of wanting to leave your past behind and pursue something foreign definitely resonates with me.

Westbound - I think this song is stunning because it is sort of the beginnings of what would become Blue Jeans and Born to Die. The lyrics are a bit messy, but the melody and her voice make up for it.

LDRAKALG

I'd like to preface that every song on this album is absolutely stunning. As a body of work, it is probably my favorite thing she has ever done.

Pawn Shop Blues - I don't think a song has ever made me cry on the first listen except this one. It's raw, emotional, honest, and relatable. It is the perfect blend of the acoustic side of May and the production quality of the rest of the album, which gives it a sparkle but keeps the original haunting and empty quality of Sirens.

Queen of the Gas Station - I'd be tempted to say I prefer the original acoustic demo over any other version, but all are fantastic. As a whole album, I think this song sums up the theme she intended well. It is another story song, and the vivid images she paints with her lyrics really bring it over the top.

BORN TO DIE

National Anthem - Wow. That's the word I'll always use to describe this one. It makes me feel like going out on a boat on the 4th of July with a hot guy and setting off fireworks. Production-wise, it's her best piece.

Without You - Out of all the low-production pieces, this one is the one that blows me away the most. The vulnerability in her voice literally personifies a fragile china doll and she stirs emotion inside me with every listen.

PARADISE

Ride - Her best writing ever, besides Pawn Shop Blues. She managed to sum up her entire life and career in less than five minutes. The video tops off the whole piece in an amazing way that I'm still not even over.

UNRELEASED

I tend to love her unreleased stuff the most for some reason. With that being said, I tried to cut down on how many I listed.

You're Gonna Love Me/Fordham Road - I classify these together because of their time periods. I adore the Lizzy + guitar sound so much, and the vulnerability and raw candor in these always stuns me.

Heavy Hitter - I think this song gets often overlooked when it comes to Lana's music. The embodiment of the story is simple yet straightforward, and whilst I prefer the original production, it still slays me every time it comes on.

Children of the Bad Revolution - This one speaks for itself. She basically took a propaganda poster and turned it into an anthem. Untouchable.

Marilyn Monroe/Take Me to Paris - I group these because the schoolgirl fluff and the pin-up girl voice echoes in both of them so well. Lyrically and production-wise, these really ought to have been on some release because of how unbelievably catchy and cute they are.

I Don't Wanna Go - I'd say the sole reason this song catches a spot on my list is the harmonies in the end chorus. They alone take the cake as far as backing vocals in any Lana song go. Plus the audible breathing into the mic makes it that much more special and real.

tumblr_mjtygmUvm11rtm6dso1_500.png

I could do about 100 but I'll keep it quick for the sake of my fingers.

SIRENS

Aviation - This song never stood out to me until I genuinely listened to the lyrics. It's rare in Lana's discography to find a song completely unrelated to relationships, so that makes this song special. And the connection of wanting to leave your past behind and pursue something foreign definitely resonates with me.

Westbound - I think this song is stunning because it is sort of the beginnings of what would become Blue Jeans and Born to Die. The lyrics are a bit messy, but the melody and her voice make up for it.

LDRAKALG

I'd like to preface that every song on this album is absolutely stunning. As a body of work, it is probably my favorite thing she has ever done.

Pawn Shop Blues - I don't think a song has ever made me cry on the first listen except this one. It's raw, emotional, honest, and relatable. It is the perfect blend of the acoustic side of May and the production quality of the rest of the album, which gives it a sparkle but keeps the original haunting and empty quality of Sirens.

Queen of the Gas Station - I'd be tempted to say I prefer the original acoustic demo over any other version, but all are fantastic. As a whole album, I think this song sums up the theme she intended well. It is another story song, and the vivid images she paints with her lyrics really bring it over the top.

BORN TO DIE

National Anthem - Wow. That's the word I'll always use to describe this one. It makes me feel like going out on a boat on the 4th of July with a hot guy and setting off fireworks. Production-wise, it's her best piece.

Without You - Out of all the low-production pieces, this one is the one that blows me away the most. The vulnerability in her voice literally personifies a fragile china doll and she stirs emotion inside me with every listen.

PARADISE

Ride - Her best writing ever, besides Pawn Shop Blues. She managed to sum up her entire life and career in less than five minutes. The video tops off the whole piece in an amazing way that I'm still not even over.

UNRELEASED

I tend to love her unreleased stuff the most for some reason. With that being said, I tried to cut down on how many I listed.

You're Gonna Love Me/Fordham Road - I classify these together because of their time periods. I adore the Lizzy + guitar sound so much, and the vulnerability and raw candor in these always stuns me.

Heavy Hitter - I think this song gets often overlooked when it comes to Lana's music. The embodiment of the story is simple yet straightforward, and whilst I prefer the original production, it still slays me every time it comes on.

Children of the Bad Revolution - This one speaks for itself. She basically took a propaganda poster and turned it into an anthem. Untouchable.

Marilyn Monroe/Take Me to Paris - I group these because the schoolgirl fluff and the pin-up girl voice echoes in both of them so well. Lyrically and production-wise, these really ought to have been on some release because of how unbelievably catchy and cute they are.

I Don't Wanna Go - I'd say the sole reason this song catches a spot on my list is the harmonies in the end chorus. They alone take the cake as far as backing vocals in any Lana song go. Plus the audible breathing into the mic makes it that much more special and real.

I love Heavy Hitter a lot too...It was the first Unreleased Lana Song I found way back, and probably heard it like 200 times. I just love the "Let's change our DNA" parts and how she sings "You're so cool". Makes me feel like I'm lounging by the pool myself.

Playing dangerous: As i mentioned in Lana confessions, the video i imagine in my head just gets me going. Damn.. ;) But really i love turning it up as loud as i can get it without the sharp drums killing my ears and joining in with lana singing "IM IN LOVVVE IM IN LOVVVE." like really loudly. (Dont do it if your dad is in the house. He will walk into the room and you wont hear because your headphones are loud. And he will poke you on your shoulder and you will scream and hit the roof. He thinks hes fucking hilarious now.)

Chet Baker: :icant:  This song is just so fucking cute. When i first heard it i started crying because ive never heard Lana sing such a lullaby-like song. Aw omfg, and such quality. LIVE. Well, its Lana what did i expect?

Stoplight De-lite: Same reason as Chet baker, except i didnt cry. I didnt like it at first because i found the sound effects noisy, but then the "Stupid pickup lines" made me change my mind haha, they're just really cute.

Put me in a movie: I love the fact that she knows what shes talking about here and that she knows theres a backstory to it. Young girls setting out to be actresses etc etc.

Queen of the gas station: This was the first unreleased Lana song i had ever heard. I couldnt leave it out<3

Pin Up Galore: UHHYEAH

Jimmy Gnecco: Its a bobby song haha. You'll be sitting there doing homework or something and this song comes on and i find myself rocking side to side and bobbing my head.

There are so many more, but ive posted enough i think haha:)

lH7Zs6V.gif      

It is really hard.

Dark Paradise: Love the song, the drums in it are epic! This song puts me in a weird mood, and I can shout the world out.

Cola: First listen = instant love!

Born to die: I was in a really dark place, when I first discovered Lana and Born to die. I was after a break up, I was in the middle of my exams, I participate in dance competitions. I did not have strength, and I was depressed, but this song just made my head clear. This song means a lot to me.

Million dollar man: Instant love when I first heard the album. I know it is weird, it seems no one love the song.But this song, is just pure satisfaction to my ears.

This is what makes us girls: Because this song is true from the first word to the last one. Girls are like this.

Hit and run: My favorite at the moment (always changing :P )

Kill kill: Because I love it. It is weird, most of the times I just can't tell why I love Lana's songs, because it is really hard to tell my feeling with words, it is impossible. 

More: Backfire, Pawn shop blues, Driving in cars with boys, Gramma, Never let me go, Radio, Burning desire and all the Lana Del Rey song! ;)

2ikzg5s.png

Honorable Mentions: Without You (which deserves a place on the list but I find I can't think of much to say about it), Mermaid Motel, Driving in Cars With Boys, On Our Way, You & Me, Burning Desire

Well it's a Friday night in and I got caught in this thread again so I'm considering attempting to write about the honorable mentions, too. I will fully support anyone else having a boring night in the future and doing this so we aren't a non-community shouting our opinions at each other.

Well it's a Friday night in and I got caught in this thread again so I'm considering attempting to write about the honorable mentions, too. I will fully support anyone else having a boring night in the future and doing this so we aren't a non-community shouting our opinions at each other.

Did you make a post simply to bring attention to my opinion of Lana Boards? :sideeye:  

MkWI4Ns.png

Favies:  Gramma, Kill Kill, Raise Me Up (Mississippi South), Noir, Push Me Down, Boarding School, Dum Dum, & Born 2 Die

Honorable Mentions: Never Let Me Go, My Best Days, Go Go Dancer, You're Gonna Love Me, Bel Air, You Can Be the Boss, Daddy Issues

Ok that's a lot and they change sometimes but the first three are always my favorites. Gramma is my favorite Lizzy/Lana song of all time. I feel like it's a song that can't be duplicated, it stands alone.  It's got a sweetness to it and it's also very vulnerable + desperate. The line "I wanna be the whole world's girl" will always stand out to me. Plus it reminds me of when I was a girl.. I think it gives everyone a nostalgic feel.  I'm horrible at identifying instruments, but whatever that is in the beginning (trumpet?) is just

:flutter:  :flutter:

These are all songs that I could listen to everyday and not get tired of whereas usually I have 2 take a break from other songs 2 fully appreciate em 

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

Off to the Races is the first Lana song I ever heard. I had never even heard of her then I randomly clicked on the live performance of the tune from the Paris show, and was mesmerized. It is still my favorite Lana song. The beats, the lyrics, her entrancing vocals, the production. Once I heard that, I read about her SNL performance and how she was panned. Well, I like to make up my own mind when it comes to music, so I listened to more of her songs just to see how "bad" they were. I moved on to Blue Jeans...the video alone made me sit there with my jaw dropped. Who was this girl coming out from virtually nowhere? The song was so different and her vocals unlike anyones I had heard. I then started watching any online videos I could find, and saw her sing Without You live with just her and a piano player. Seeing her emotional reaction just from singing the lyrics made me thing YES!! FINALLY! Someone who is sincere, with amazing lyrics, and unique angelic vocals. Without You just aches and touched me on a personal level as well. Needless to say, I can't really express how glad I am to have Lana's music in my life. :hooker:

Million Dollar Man

I remember the first time I sat down and listened to the whole album. This very song quickly became one of my favorites instantly. If any of you guys have seen Charmed and can remember that time Paige sang in that club to Nate that one time, then you get what I see when I hear this song. It's just sensual, elegant and soothing all at the same time. I just get this femme fatale moment  :defeated:

*FOUND THE VIDEO*