National Anthem

Favourite Lana Songs

Born To Die:

Million Dollar Man

I remember the first time I sat down and listened to the whole album. This very song quickly became one of my favorites instantly. If any of you guys have seen Charmed and can remember that time Paige sang in that club to Nate that one time, then you get what I see when I hear this song. It's just sensual, elegant and soothing all at the same time. I just get this femme fatale moment  :defeated:

*FOUND THE VIDEO*

My thoughts exactly on MDM. I always imagine Lana singing this song in a retro cabaret full of reddish lights and in a sensual style like that of BD.

From what I see many of us noticed how BTD gives that eerie and haunting feeling. It's a soundscaping album that personally touches every side of my heart, soul in a strange way. While its songs are not like what you called the songs of the past that were full of emotions and melodies (Take My Breath away for instance) they somewhat give a similar tone, that sadness and nostalgic feeling for the past for our youth and lost loves. I don't know from what song should I begin. Every song gives me the chills but I'll try to be as precise as I can to my feelings since I still listen to this album..

BORN TO DIE

Born To Die

This is one of my favorites. I can't describe the feelings when I listen to this song in combination with the video :) I'm really sure you understand the feeling. Some say that the production is too much but everything for me is balanced and perfect even that robotic voice in the chorus.

Blue Jeans

I can't get enough of Blue Jeans. It has that something that will make this song be listened in 2040 and considered one of the best. This melody, this tension that creates in your heart about someone that neglects you I think I'm in love with it. The first time I saw the Woodkid video at the bridge where Lana is shown holding her head and then Bradley kills her... :lange: or the scenes where Lana sees the ferals in the pool but still dives in and gets ambushed by them. Oh my God Lana is a work of art.

Video Games

This is the first song I ever heard from Lana in a tumblr blog. I was so mesmerized that I listened to every song of her till then something that I don't usually do. This song while some say it's the most boring song of the album, can really stand out on its own as it is a unique Robopop production and not an Emile Haynie one. I remember now I was reading an article by an interview with Robopop on how they produced Video Games. There is an extreme amount of details on the song and even pictures of the studio and the programs. Here you can read it.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/articles/it-0412.htm

Diet Mountain Dew

This is the strange case which you hate a song but then becomes one of your favorite. This is a song I hated back when I bought the album but for some reason, since I understood what she said I liked it more and more. Now it won my heart and I can't hear people whine about the old version because actually the new version is of course more upbeat and musically stands out.

National Anthem

For some strange reason I disliked this song too but between April and May of 2012 it became my favorite, not to mention again I prefer this version to the old one. It's much more detailed with that eerie feeling that fits to a song about money and society rather than the previous beat. That money and roullette sounds at the start give the meaning from the first listen and the Lana screams between the bridge tones the desperation of dark and lonely. And then came the visual aspect, the video of the song. Oh what can I say about the song and the video. It's a total masterpiece, an ode to the society and money and I'm very disappointed that not many people got to talk about it. What can we say? Not many dared to do a video tribute to Kennedy and when someone does no one gives a f..k

Dark Paradise

Why the hell this song gives me the creeps? Sometimes when I listen the soundscape vocals and Lana's voice in the fisrt verse I'm afraid and have a very depressive feeling. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that has this but I really get the creeps with this song, maybe it reminds me something or someone but I get very sad when I listen to it. One of my favorites of course and sometimes I prefer the instrumental than the vocal version.

Radio

This is the second best of Lana for me. It's really a personal song, Lana must feel proud for it because it somewhat talks about her a bit. The rise to fame and the escape from the dark trailer park life, happiness and sweet life. I like both demo and album versions but the Emile Haynie one contains that paradise feeling with that Rick James vocals fading away and Lana singing about not being afraid of the heavy words, it's an otherwordly experience. (Lana would be a great aspect for chill out compilations)

Carmen

An ominous song indeed. It's the Gods and Monsters of Born To Die, I feel like this song alongside Radio is the most truthful and original Lana has written. Haunting and ominous music this song also gives me the creeps especially at the time where Lana is ready to speak the French verse...It's really ecstatic

Million Dollar Man

It's the most sexy song of the album, it's that sexy femme fatale thing the album needed I loved this song from the start till now. I hoped that Lana's label would give a release but I don't think so.

Summertime Sadness

This is the best song of Lana for me. The best characteristic and iconic song of her describing all of my emotions right now in my life. I listened this song last summer in the night at the sea in an empty beach at some holidays I had in Mytilene in my country Greece. It was the most beautiful experience I had with a song. I was looking the starry night and I was listening Lana's striking vocals it's like paradise.

This Is What Makes Us Girls

I'm not supposed to like this song for obvious reasons but I like it. I like that Lana writes about women and how they act and do in love cases and these little story about her past youth and her friends in the bridge is so beautiful. I love many versions of this songs but again I prefer the Born To Die version. That women screams from Planet Rock anthem throughout the song are very haunting another proof the album is a pack of soundscaping experience.

Lucky Ones

What a nostalgic and emotional song. Full of love and thrill about escaping the f...ed up reality we live. It reminds me that only love can survive the world we live, something Lana knows and puts as a sign in all of her songs. Lucky Ones follows the Born To Die structure, the violins, guitars and the bird voices through the song. It's like a masterpiece that God listens and I wonder why many whine about being a very boring song and prefer the old version. What can I say these things are simple taste for everyone.

I hope I summed up my Born To Die thoughts and experience. When I have time I can write about the Paradise EP and the songs I like. As you can see the songs I didn't put (Off To The Races, Without You, Lolita) are those three that I don't get crazy to listen to but I sometimes give a try :)

My Top 5 from each release -

BORN TO DIE -

1.Diet Mtn Dew

2.Blue Jeans

3.This Is What Makes Us Girls

4.Summertime Sadness

5.Off To The Races

Honorable Mention -Carmen and National Anthem

PARADISE -

1.American

2.Bel Air

3.Gods & Monsters

4.Burning Desire

5.Cola

Honorable Mention -Blue Velvet

LANA DEL RAY A.K.A. LIZZY GRANT -

1.Mermaid Motel

2.Raise Me Up (Mississippi South)

3.Brite Lites

4.Gramma (Blue Ribbon Sparkler Trailer Heaven)

5.Kill Kill

Honorable Mention -For K (Part 2)

SIRENS -

1.Birds of a Feather

2.Aviation

3.Junky Pride

4.A Star For Nick

5.My Momma

Honorable Mention -For K

UNRELEASED -

1.Noir

2.Trash (Miss America)

3.Hundred Dollar Bill

4.Heavy Hitter

5.Live or Die

Honorable Mention - She's Not Me (Ride or Die Bitch)

NO KUNG FU -

1.Get Drunk

2.Jimmy Necco

3.Yayo

SPARKLE JUMP ROPE QUEEN -

1.Axl Rose Husband

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

You and Me

just ah, makes me think of summer and it's so pretty

Hollywood's Dead

it just sounds so nice and i just love the melody and everything

Ghetto Baby

reminds me a little of Queen of the Gas Station and Body Electric for some reason and I love them too so

Never Let Me Go

One of the first unreleased songs I found and it's so pretty and she sounds great and reminds me of one of my favourite films

Paris

reminds me of my sister because I listened to it a lot around the time she went to Paris with her boyfriend

Kinda Outta Luck

It's a bit different to the ones I listen to most often and he chorus is really catchy

Driving in Cars with Boys- Always will be one of my favourites, this could have possible been one of the first unreleased songs I found

Other favourites: Jump, Kill Kill, Birds of a Feather, Young and Beautiful, Lucky Ones, Radio, Queen of e Gas Station, Summer Wine, Pawn Shop Blues, Dark Paradise, This is What Makes Us Girls & Ride

i have so many favourites but these are just a few

YAYO (AKA version)

this song is honestly the most beautiful love song i have ever heard. it captures so much emotion and it makes me so sad to think that lana is no

longer with the man this is about. even though their relationship probably had flaws, i feel like this song captures one perfect moment. it captures how it feels to truly need someone's love. i say captures too much. sorry

ON OUR WAY

this song makes me cry and smile at the same time. smile because she is so sweet and the way she sings kaaaayy-mart. but cry because i don't think lana and her lover ever really ran away, never really just got in the car and drove away forever. i sound stupid, i know, but i just really love this song. and the video. oh my.

KINDA OUTTA LUCK

makes me so happy. makes me want to go be a femme fatale. i went through a phase where i listened to it religiously.

KILL KILL

such a soothing, summery vibe. makes me want to lie down on a sunny beach with my feet in the sand.

NATIONAL ANTHEM

both versions. but the demo version feels so badass.

honourable mentions: you can be the boss, lolita (demo with the fast music), put me in a movie, mermaid motel, trash magic

tumblr_mnotclIc9L1s7mwiio4_500.gif

Driving in Cars With Boys

Queen of the Gas Station

Queen of Disaster - (with a bullet)

HIt and Run

Off To The Races

Chelsea Hotel #2

Lucky Ones (up-tempo version)

St. Tropez

Fordham Rd.

Bad Disease

Without You (live at Amoeba)

The Last Girl on Earth  (Mexico and a roller coaster!)

And a couple dozen more....

Carmen: The lyrics and the vibe. I especially love the line: "Put your red dress on, put your lipstick on, sing a song, song, now the camera's on, and you're alive again".

National Anthem: I love the lyrics, the tune, the meaning, the vibe, EVERYTHING.

1949: The lyrics remind me of summer and this is just a perfect song.

Fordham Road: For some reason this song makes me feel really sad, but at the same time it's so beautiful. I could listen to it for hours.

Bel Air: No need to say anything, I just love it.

Lolita: Perfect.

Honorable mentions: Blue Jeans, Summertime Sadness, This Is What Makes Us Girls, Cola, Body Electric, Gods & Monsters, Oh Say Can You See, Mermaid Motel, Pawn Shop Blues, Kill Kill, For K Part 2, Driving In Cars

ALL HER SONGS ARE MY FAVOURITE :godlaugh:

tumblr_mehfl855qr1ro2d43.gif

Blue Jeans: This is the first song Lana song I have ever listened too. It's special to me because this song made me fall in love with Lana!

Ride: I love this song because I want to live a carefree life. I love being in the car and just singing a long to this song! LOVE it!

Young and Beautiful: Need I say more?

Diet Mountain Dew: I love the sound of this song! It's just so fucking amazing! 

Summer Wine: Favorite Lana cover of all time. And Barrie singing with Lana makes it all the more special.

Back to the Basics: Love the feel of this song!

I really love all her released and unreleased songs!

tumblr_mxlwmpouv61rebdylo1_500.gif

Except a few sketchy demos I really think all of her songs are brilliant, if nothing else then because of the lyrics. They always paint vivid pictures and stirs up all kinds of emotions and half-forgotten memories + every line is basically a oneliner that could be quoted into oblivion. Well, favourites:

BTD/Paradise

Video Games

Like most people I guess, this was my first Lana song . At work, driving round late at night, suddenly this song came on, and I parked the car just so I could listen. I didn't even know if I liked it, but I just knew that it was something very special. When I got home and found the video I freaked out, not because of her lips (well maybe a little) but because she was so young. It made no sense in my head, her voice sounded a million years old. Her whole glamour-persona actually put me off at first but I couldn't ignore that haunting song. Still think it's one of, if not the most beautiful song she has ever made.

Off To The Races

The song that finally converted me to a full on Lana-fan. So cool, innovative, badass, shiny, crazy. There was some unspecified feeling in the song I recognized but couldn't recall from where, until I realized she was working a Lolita vibe that I remembered from the '97 adaption.

Summertime Sadness

It was literally the soundtrack of my summer and holds some good memories.

This Is What Makes Us Girls

Again the music is just so fresh (to death and sick as ca-cancer.) Love the beat, love the instrumentation, love the melody. I can't think of one other artist to compare to this genrewise. And the lyrics are so prettyyy.     :aw:

Ride was originally my favourite of Paradise, American quickly grew on me and seeing Gods & Monsters as well as Body Electric live in concert was a gamechanger. Funny how some of the best live songs aren't necessarily the studio recordings you like the best.

Lizzy Grant aka LDR

Pawn Shop Blues

Love the melody and how young and clear her voice sounds. For some reason this song reminds me of growing up in a quiet small town. 

Kill Kill

So groovy, sexy and weird. Lana in a nutshell.

Yayo

This song didn't really click for me until I heard it on a rainy day and suddenly it all made sense. The new Paradise version can however go sit in a corner and think about all the things it did wrong. 

Unreleased/Misc

Young & Beautiful

People seem to be quite divided about this one, but I got chills first time I heard in the Gatsby trailer.

Ridin feat. A$AP Rocky

I'm so sad that Asap had a fallout with the producers, so we'll never get to hear the final version. 

I Don't Wanna Go

In my humble opinion one of the only songs that can compare to Video Games in terms of sheer beauty. 

Never Let Me Go

It already feels like a classic

My Best Days

I thought I had heard all her leaks but then discovered this precious gem. Could work well the two previous ones on an EP of some sort.

Honourable mention goes to:

Boarding School, Ghetto Baby, Hundred Dollar Bill, You Can Be The Boss, Ooh Baby, Trash and You & Me.  

Ok so this got really longwinded. Sorry...

tumblr_m8roo8otsH1qhk6l1.gif

Queen of Disaster, Live or Die, Hit and Run, Born To Die, Blue Jeans, Off To The Races, Dark Paradise, National Anthem, Radio, Lolita, Lucky Ones, Without You, Video Games, Ride, Cola, Body Electric, Gods and Monsters, Bel Air, Burning Desire, Young and Beautiful, American, Go Go Dancer, Never Let Me Go, Summer Wine. 

tumblr_nv3ubpr8ay1u9vsflo1_540.gif

Blue Jeans: This song was one of the first songs I heard by Lana. At first I thought it was just meh, but then I listened to it on repeat and it made me feel so strange...almost euphoric. I attribute this song with a part of my life that I hold close to myself from about March 2012-June 2012 and I still listen to it daily. The violins, guitar, her vocals...flawless. The lyrics to this song run through my veins. 

Summertime Sadness: This song goes along with Blue Jeans. I love how dramatic and desperate it sounds. The bridge (think I'll miss you forever...) might be one of the greatest moments on Born to Die. I love the entire song and it was the anthem of my Summer last Summer and it also holds a special place to me. 

National Anthem: This song, SS and Blue Jeans are a trilogy for me. They all were my anthems during that part of my life and are in my top 5 off of BTD. I love the violins and the chorus...the fucking chorus is magical. The video also is perfection; beautiful cinematography. 

Live or Die: I attribute a lot of Lana's songs with parts of my life and I attribute this with December 2012 and how it was so cinematic and made many references to film icons and how it talked about two people becoming a team and being partners in crime. This song is one of her most upbeat too, I love its melody

Honorable mentions: Without You, Lolita, Ghetto Baby, Go Go Dancer, Paradise, Hit and Run, Jump, Queen of the Gas Station, Raise Me Up, Pawn Shop Blues

tumblr_mpkwdx4XV61qc7b23o1_500.gif

1.) Bel Air

This is my favorite Lana song ever, When I first heard it, I felt so in peace with myself, it's so heavenly. The lyrics are so calming, it makes me feel like I'm floating and that everything will be okay. It makes me feel so open, and death is something that can be sad, but it's so pure.

It's as if a spirit wrote it, it's so fluid, and the instrumental is beautiful, I need an orchestral version of it, Lana... excellent job, Your Best Song to Date.

2.) Summertime Sadness

It's the most beautiful Goodbye ever, and I think I'm mostly attracted to Lana songs that are inclined to death. This song makes me feel like heaven, and it's Bel Air's big sister, the melodies and bells and strings in the background, the high notes in the bridge, and those lyrics: "Later's Better Than Never, Even if you're gone I'm gonna drive."

3.) Put Me in a Movie

I feel attracted to older men, and just hearing those sweet high notes and that line "You can be my Daddy" makes me think of my future, and future partner. The instrumental is absolutely beautiful and so relaxing. I'd love to be treated as Lana as she was in Put me in a Movie.

4.) Queen Of The Gas Station

I love it, I had one of the best dreams ever with this song (it made me create the line in my signature in my dream)

And I love Gas Stations

5.) Lucky Ones

This song makes me feel like how I am right now, even though I haven't found someone yet, this song makes me feel like I have. That need to escape and just live a free life really attracts me, and those vocals are absolutely gorgeous, she sounds so delicate, it makes me want to hug her so tight / be hugged so tightly.

"It feels like, feels like, you know it feels like falling in love for the first time, feels like, you know feels like falling in love..."

Best fucking way to end BTD.

Honorable Mentions: Blue Jeans, Born To Die, Oh Say Can You See, Radio, Ride and Noir.

:smokes:

I can't name just one, but I just wanted to say that Million Dollar Man is sooo underrated. Her voice transcends beautifully from high to low, and it's so "jazzy" and soothing and ugh.  :defeated:

So true.

And the demo version is just pure awesomeness, I love how effortlessly amazing it is.